• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > The Urban Tourist

The Urban Tourist For those who enjoy big city traveling

Old November 6th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #1
Skyprince
Asian boi

Countries you found to be surprising cheap & shockingly expensive? ( for tourism )

Surprisingly cheap:

1) Maldives
- with all the hype that Maldives being "expensive" , I found this to be wrong.
In the capital Male, I can easily have a complete meal ( rice or bread with meat & seafood ) with under 2 dollars. Taxis in Male which takes you from one end to another ( around 2-3 km ) is only about 1 dollar.
Many guesthouses in secluded islands offer really reasonable prices- USD 35-40 per night in a standard room with good facility.

Yes resorts in private islands are costly for majority of people in this world, but think of it again- those are private islands with amazing scenery and water clarity- they should be expensive by any standard.
I visited one of those private islands for a day trip from Male- and I paid only 60 dollars which included rountrip boat from Male, welcome drink, free use of resort facility & beaches and very generous lunch buffet

2) Brunei
- It's amazing that a rich country like Brunei has more or less similar prices as places like India. I stayed in 4-star hotel in capital for only around 45-50 dollars! Traveling by public transpo ( buses ) from one end to another end of Brunei ( around 120-130 km ) is only for 2 dollars. Try visit night markets allover Brunei- and you can have a very generous meal easily for 2 dolllars or less. Grocery prices are nearly similar as Malaysia & Indonesia.
Restaurant food prices are also incredibly cheap. Brunei also has one of the cheapest retail fuel prices in the world.

Shockingly expensive :

Morocco
- flying from France to Morocco I hardly saw significant drop in prices overall. Accommodation, eating out and transportation seem really expensive for a middle income country. I think I paid nearly 4-5 USD for a simple kebab in open markets in Marrakesh and Casablanca- that is not tourist price but that is the price they published. Inter-city bus fares are shocking.
The prices in Moroccan airports are very expensive- how could simple egg sandwich in Fes airport costs around USD 8-9 ?
Of course Morocco is cheaper than most of Europe but it seems considerably more expensive than comparable Southeast Asian countries.

Zaz965, washiwashi liked this post
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 6th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #2
JOSEVICTOR3012
metrosesual y pensador

Likes (Received): 1296

Surprisingly cheap: Mexico, Germany, Hungary.

Shockingly expensive : Brazil, Netherlands, Italy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JOSEVICTOR3012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #3
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 7185

Expensive: England
Cheap: Czech Rep., Croatia, Poland
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #4
Arkitexture

Likes (Received): 1786

Expensive: UK, Denmark

Cheap: USA, Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal
Arkitexture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #5
drezdinski

Likes (Received): 6098

China is becoming quite expensive lately. Yesterday they asked me 50 Yuan for a cup of crummy coffee in a local cafe. That is around 7,5 Euros. Clothes are even worse. 90% of all offer is domestic no name brands, with prices in the hundreds. No wonder so many Chinese rush to Korea and Japan for shopping.

Antonio Montana
drezdinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #6
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdinski View Post
China is becoming quite expensive lately. Yesterday they asked me 50 Yuan for a cup of crummy coffee in a local cafe. That is around 7,5 Euros. Clothes are even worse. 90% of all offer is domestic no name brands, with prices in the hundreds. No wonder so many Chinese rush to Korea and Japan for shopping.
My parents went to Shanghai last month also told me the same.
They said that things are like 50% more expensive than in Malaysia now.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #7
Xusein
Som@SSC

Likes (Received): 7663

I found Toronto pretty expensive when I visited last year, but their dollar has fallen a lot since then, it's probably cheap now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~
~~~
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #8
Fabricio JF

Likes (Received): 4693

The dollar greatly influences here, including affecting the sale of tourist packages. Overall prices in the United States and Argentina are affordable for information I have from other visitors here from my country. This is important information, but not essential that weighs me to choose a tourist destination because I can enjoy and buy and consume more with the budget chosen for the tour.
Miami: Brickell and Downtown |
(New) New York City - 2 skylines in 20 years >>
Casa Atlântica | Zaha Hadid project | Rio de Janeiro >>
2016 Summer Olympics Games | Copacabana hotels today >>

Last edited by Fabricio JF; November 7th, 2015 at 12:54 AM.
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #9
Tokei
Melancholic

Likes (Received): 1320

The USA in general I found it cheap for stuff like branded clothes and electronics. Also prices of restaurants. Even assuming 1€=1$
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #10
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

Likes (Received): 883

I want to make this post long. Sorry!

I won't include Indian cities here as they are cheap for tourism (not living though).

I found Germany (Berlin to be precise) and Poland (Wroclaw) to be cheap. But I think that's probably because of my expectations as I visited Poland from Denmark and had stayed in Japan (at the time when Yen was dear) before coming to Denmark.

Germany is a strange case for me. When I visited Berlin in 2010, I found it expensive (as I was comparing it with India). However, when I visited Germany again in 2012, I found it cheap (as this time I was coming from Denmark).

Both above are the perfect examples of Anchoring

For expensive, I think it would be Sweden for me (Malmö actually). Given that people say Sweden is cheaper than Denmark, I found it to be opposite in Malmö. However there are two reasons
1. I was restricted to a small and possibly touristy area in Malmö
2. Living in Copenhagen, I am aware of cheaper options and range of products compared to that in Sweden.
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #11
goocheslamb
Indian/Canadian

Likes (Received): 964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I found Toronto pretty expensive when I visited last year, but their dollar has fallen a lot since then, it's probably cheap now.
Nope, still very expensive, it's frustrating
goocheslamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #12
goocheslamb
Indian/Canadian

Likes (Received): 964

Cuba was extremely cheap
goocheslamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #13
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 4723

I was in China a few weeks back and was shocked at how expensive it generally was ( especially in the malls where prices were higher than in Denmark )

I'm sure that downtown Shanghai is not a good indicator of China, but I has still expected it to be somewhat cheaper ( after all the gadgets are still hot from leaving the factory there and wages are typically extremely low )

-

-
-
-
-
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #14
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2715

Cheap: USA, Czech Republic, Italy and India.

Expensive: UK!!! (REALLY, $20 Canadian for a freaking yogurt, fruit and bagel!!!!)
The presence of others, even many others, who are different from me does not require me to abandon what I hold dear. I can be French-speaking and Canadian. I can be Haida, Aboriginal and Canadian. I can be Métis, from Toronto, and Canadian. I can be Muslim, Christian, or Jewish, a Quebecker, and still Canadian. Our history is the story of citizens who struggle with the different layers of their identities, and somehow manage to reconcile their overlapping commitments. - Cheif Justice McLachlin
Ashok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #15
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
I was in China a few weeks back and was shocked at how expensive it generally was ( especially in the malls where prices were higher than in Denmark )

I'm sure that downtown Shanghai is not a good indicator of China, but I has still expected it to be somewhat cheaper ( after all the gadgets are still hot from leaving the factory there and wages are typically extremely low )
Indeed they are exceptions. Malls in China, in India and I am sure in other places too, have Magasin level shops. You can't really expect anything cheap there.

If I were to buy branded clothes in Lyngby Storcenter vs a mall in Delhi, I am more likely to find things expensive in the latter.

FREKI liked this post
abhijeetm29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #16
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

I have also observed one trend which I'd like to write here. Don't know if you all have noticed it too.

I have ended up spending more in cheap places as compared to expensive places. It is not the rule; there are exceptions to it but on the whole I have noticed this trend, both inside India and other countries.

Kelli liked this post
abhijeetm29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #17
drezdinski

Likes (Received): 6098

Shopping centers in China fall under the comedy category. It's virtually impossible to find any piece of clothing under 100 Euro or so, even with all the "discounts". And this is mostly Chinese no name or fake European brands. Buying something which originates from the west requires few hundred to the least, and it can easily slip into 4 digits.

Antonio Montana

Last edited by drezdinski; November 7th, 2015 at 06:35 AM.
drezdinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #18
Xusein
Som@SSC

Likes (Received): 7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by goocheslamb View Post
Nope, still very expensive, it's frustrating
Well, now the CAD is worth 75 cents USD, when I visited early last year, it was above 90 cents.

If the dollar continues to be strong, maybe soon you will see Americans coming across the border to get cheap stuff instead of the opposite.

~~~
~~~
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #19
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 14008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
Expensive: UK!!! (REALLY, $20 Canadian for a freaking yogurt, fruit and bagel!!!!)
What? £10 for that? You were ripped off! That should be maybe £4/C$8 in a cafe, less than £2/C$4 if you buy the stuff from a supermarket.

Jonesy's travels

-

-
-
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #20
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
Cheap: USA, Czech Republic, Italy and India.

London hotels are incredibly expensive, and if you eat in tourist areas, you'll pay a huge premium.

London pubs, again in the tourist areas, are also very expensive.

On the other hand, I sneaked this picture in a pub in Dundee back in May, where prices, especially for beers, are somewhat cheaper than London to put it mildly.

I found Singapore hideously expensive, although that perhaps wasn't unexpected.

Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote