daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #261
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Porto CCO (operational command centre):
controls all railways north of the douro River.

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #262
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

are those trains suburban or regional trains?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #263
Marco Bruno
Les cites obscures

Likes (Received): 2961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
suburban, but some of them are used for some major distances I think...
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #264
sotavento

Quote:
technicaly they are called "urbanos" ... but to Porto they are suburban trains ... to us city folks they are better callled "deep countryside rgional".
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:15 AM   #265
Kuvvaci
Strange User

is Portugese HST produced by Spanish CAF?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM   #266
Marco Bruno
Les cites obscures

I think they are italian... (Fiat ? ) the design is from Giugiaro
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #267
Kuvvaci
Strange User

is the railway the dominant intercity transportation in Portugal?
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #268
Marco Bruno
Les cites obscures

new locomotives

Old October 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #269
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
is the railway the dominant intercity transportation in Portugal?
The answer is no. In fact, bus transportation is more dominant. the exception is to Lisbon and Porto Metropolitan areas, where the railway transport is very used!
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #270
Kuvvaci
Strange User

like us, bus is dominant and Ankara-Istanbul is active railway line.

But I always thought in Portugal, it s different. I didn't know the reality before.

So, what are future railways plans except high speed rail?
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #271
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:

But I always thought in Portugal, it s different. I didn't know the reality before.

We've already "our" high speed train. It's the Alfa Pendular, based on italian Pendolino technology. Top speed: 220 km/h.

Alfa pendular connects Lisbon to Porto and Braga (North), Coimbra, Aveiro and Santarém (Centre) and Faro (South).

However, a really high speed rail is underway. It's part of a great european high speed rail network.

By 2015, 3 different lines are schedule to be open. In 2013 the Lisbon-Madrid (Spain) line and the Porto-Vigo (Spain) line; by 2015 the "internal" Lisbon-Porto line.
There are other 2 high speed lines planned by without an official schedule. These line are: Aveiro-Salamanca (Spain) and Évora-Faro-Huelva (Spain) lines.

All the Portuguese high speed lines will be mix lines cargo/pax (I'm not sure).

Due the construction of the Lisbon-Madrid high speed line, a new mega-bridge (aprox. 13km lenght) will be built in the Tagus River. The new brigde will be a very important part of the Lisbon-Madrid high speed line and it will also connect Lisbon with its new international airport (Alcochete Airport) schedule to be open in 2017. The new airport will replace the actual Portela Airport (very close to Lisbon city centre).

Turkish Airlines has direct flights between Lisbon and Istambul.

More info: www.rave.pt

Last edited by beto_chaves; October 26th, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
beto_chaves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #272
Kuvvaci
Strange User

wonderful informations. Thank you I really like to see Portugal. From the pitures, Portugal is one of my favourite countries in Europe but I couldn't have opportunity to see yet.

What will be the speed of your future High speed Trains as the part of great european high speed rail network?
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #273
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:
wonderful informations. Thank you I really like to see Portugal. From the pitures, Portugal is one of my favourite countries in Europe but I couldn't have opportunity to see yet.

What will be the speed of your future High speed Trains as the part of great european high speed rail network?
Hope to see you here soon! I know many people that had a bad image of Portugal before they visit my country and then they just fall in love with Portugal. I don't know how to explain, but we're a mix of such different people (fenicians, suebi, visigoths, greeks, romans, arabic, african and asian). It creates a very unique nation: the Portuguese!

Perhaps is this kind of old mix that make us a different country. There are no internal culture, religious or linguistic differences. And then we've, as well as Turkey, an excellent weather, beautiful landscapes... In just 900km of lenght you can find a huge difference in climate, landscapes, gastronomy... So, come visit us!

And now about the high speed train!!!

Lisbon-Porto line top speed 300 Km/h
Porto-Vigo line top speed 250 km/h (i'm not sure)
Lisbon-Madrid line top speed 350 km/h

For the other 2 lines and don't have any figure.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #274
Kuvvaci
Strange User

thank you for your answer! You had never a bad image in Turkey. But as I see at the pictures, Portugal is more beautiful than I expected. Not an ordenery European country. Iberia and Anatolia have so much common, crossroad in the history and melting pot of the ethnicities, nations and cultures. Also I like fado many Portugese don't like maybe but I also like the music of Linda De Souza.

Do you think it is more economic to have buses as main transportation in Portugal? Buses are the main transportation in Turkey, but I had no idea that many Western European countries have buses.
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #275
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:
thank you for your answer! You had never a bad image in Turkey. But as I see at the pictures, Portugal is more beautiful than I expected. Not an ordenery European country. Iberia and Anatolia have so much common, crossroad in the history and melting pot of the ethnicities, nations and cultures. Also I like fado many Portugese don't like maybe but I also like the music of Linda De Souza.

Do you think it is more economic to have buses as main transportation in Portugal? Buses are the main transportation in Turkey, but I had no idea that many Western European countries have buses.
Perhaps I will be in Turkey next year! In holidays!! Perhaps...

Well, I think that the use of buses as main transportation is because there are lots and lots of roads all accross Europe. And by road you can reach every point in a country. Train network is limited: it doesn't reach all the country. Speaking about Portugal, the train network (that nowadays is smaller than 20 years ago) is limited. It touches many important cities but some tracks are not modern enough to allow high speeds or different types of wagons. I think that it happens all accros Europe, as well as in Turkey. And other problem is that is cheaper to transport goods by road than by train.

You can see on the maps the actual Portuguese train network below:

Passengers: (more info http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?v...007b01a8c0RCRD)

Cargo: (more info: http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?v...007b01a8c0RCRD)

Old October 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #276
Kuvvaci
Strange User

thank you for the maps. If you visit Turkey, it would be very nice.

also your new locomotives look so nice. We need new locos too, but we always modified and upgrade what we already have...

Do you have the pictures of new Station wich is designed by Calatrava?
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #277
sotavento

Some Oriente station pictures:
http://images.google.com/images?clie...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Quote:

Lisboa (Oriente station) to Porto (Gaia Devesas station) travel time is only 2h30 nowadays ... some aditional track upgrades will bring travel time down to 2h in the near future for the 320km trip.

Lisboa (Pinhal Novo station) to algarve (Tunes station) takes 1h53 for the 210km trip (half the route is renovated , a 25km stretch is under construction and the remaining will likely remain in the same for decades to come)

Lisboa -> South connections currently use a runabound trip along overcrouded "cintura line" (wich has some 200 thousand passengers daily on its 4 tracks) and Oriente (Northernmost intercity stations)to Pinhal Novo (southernmost of Lisboa Intercity stations) takes some 45/50 minutes ... a new river crossing (it will be both by comuter/urban/tgv/intercity and freight) will reduce that time to 10 minutes ... in efect shortening North-south travel time by 30/40 minutes by itself.

Some other major track upgrades are undergoing (and planed for the near future) that will reduce travel times even further from north to south ...
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; October 28th, 2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #278
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:
thank you for the maps. If you visit Turkey, it would be very nice.

also your new locomotives look so nice. We need new locos too, but we always modified and upgrade what we already have...

Do you have the pictures of new Station wich is designed by Calatrava?
There isn't any new station designed by Calatrava. What we have in Lisbon is the Orient Station (Gare do Oriente). This ultra modern station, designed by Calatrava, was built to be the Expo'98 transportation centre and nowadays is a transportation hub. Trains (national, International, regional and urban), metro, taxis and buses have a stop there.
With the arrive of high speed line to Lisbon we had two options: (1) to built a new terminal train station or (2) to use the actual Orient Station. The second option was selected but there will be some works in order to allow more traffic flow. By 2013 the enlargement of Orient's must be finished.

Photos available on these web sites:

http://portaldasnacoes.pt/index.php?...mid=56&lang=en

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_do_Oriente
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #279
Kuvvaci
Strange User

thank you for your answer. It is a wonderful station.
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:10 AM   #280
sotavento

Translated by babelfish:

Quote:
Chunks Pigeon house-Port, Lisbon-Pigeon house and Braga-Valença advance The Government goes to launch seven new competitions in the scope of the Railroad Net of High speed in 2009.
According to Budget of the State for the ministry of the Public works and Communications, in cause are the competitions for the Chunks Pigeon house-Port and Lisbon-Pigeon house (Lisbon-Port Axle), and Braga-Valença (Port-Vigo Axle), for projecto, construction, financing and maintenance of the infrastructure; the competition for Taken over on a contract basis of Construction of the Station of High speed of Lisbon and adjacent chunks; the competition for the Taken over on a contract basis one of the Station of the Port; signalling and telecommunications of the net and the referring one to the acquisition of ciculante material. Until the o end of the next year, the Government counts equally in signing the contract of concession of the public-private partnership of the Poceirão-Fall chunk (referring to Lisbon-Madrid axle). The ministry of the Public works still goes, in the scope of the Conventional Railroad Net, to continue with the concretion of “identified with priority shares in the strategical orientações for the railroad sector”. One expects still, in accordance with the OE, to conclude itself with the Strategical Plan of the Line of the Douro and will continue investments in the improvement and widening of the net that binds the Port of Aveiro to the line of the North.

Pigeon House = Pombal
Fall chunk = Caia
and so and so and so ... babelfish rules.
— Eça

Tags
portugal, trains