daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #1
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4434

LANZHOU | Public Transport

Lanzhou Metro is an approved and planned metro system in the capital city of Gansu Province, China.

The first phase of construction includes the first two lines.

The first Line 1 is planned to have a length of 26.8 km and is going to open in 2016.

The second Line 2 is planned begin contruction in 2015 and open in 2020.

The master plan has a total of 6 lines with a total network size of 207 km.
3 of them are commuter rails with a total of 117 km and the other 3 are city metro lines that total 90 km.

Last edited by dimlys1994; December 22nd, 2015 at 08:59 PM.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #2
saiho

Likes (Received): 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
The master plan has a total of 6 lines with a total network size of 207 km.
3 of them are commuter rails with a total of 2017 km and the other 3 are city metro lines that total 90 km.[/B]
a 2017km commuter rail network with only 3 lines? is that correct? But its nice to see China embracing other modes of transport other apart from subways,subways,subways.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

What's wrong with subways? I wish Austin would build a subway system so vast none of us here would need a car.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

What's wrong with subways? I wish Austin would build a subway system so vast none of us here would need a car.
Too expensive and slow in their tunnels.

Subways are fine in densely settled central cities, with frequent services and many stops.

But in relatively sparsely settled suburbs, it is better to build suburban and interurban commuter railways. With cheaper, ground level tracks, less dense stops and higher speed between stops, and less frequent service. Still much better than the alternative of no rail.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
saiho

Quote:

What's wrong with subways?
Well my gripe with China is that every transit solution is a subway line. So in the end what you get is these long slowish subway lines into the suburbs that could have been built faster and cheaper with a commuter rail line. i'm not against subways its just that I would rather have most of the 500km of subway to be in Beijing's urban districts with an equally massive commuter rail network radiating out from it. Similar can be said about LRT/tram lines. Also as a transit enthusiast I would say the more diverse systems are the more interesting ones.

Quote:
I wish Austin would build a subway system so vast none of us here would need a car.
The key to not needing a car is to have diverse public transport that can fill local, commuter, and regional roles. So that no matter where you want to go in the city you have a few attractive options apart from the car. The problem with an entirely subway network (economics aside) is that if you want to make a cross-town trip to say a convention or a friends house the car is a much much faster option.
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:26 AM   #6
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can have a combined subway and commuter rail.
A line which has longer distance between stops in the suburbs and then has fewer stops in the city, in all the same line. Shanghai has something similar to that. It's the same in Seoul which also doesn't have a dedicated commuter rail, instead it's a combined metro which functions as a metro in the city and a commuter rail in the suburbs, as I explained above with Shanghai.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:20 AM   #7
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
You can have a combined subway and commuter rail.
A line which has longer distance between stops in the suburbs and then has fewer stops in the city, in all the same line. Shanghai has something similar to that. It's the same in Seoul which also doesn't have a dedicated commuter rail, instead it's a combined metro which functions as a metro in the city and a commuter rail in the suburbs, as I explained above with Shanghai.
Seoul has a commuter rail network operated by Korail. The Jungang Line, Gyeongui Line, and Gyeongchun Line have very metro-like characteristics are in fact commuter rail lines. Seoul is exactly what I am talking about; an overgrown metro system that takes forever to traverse on crosstown trips. Though now they are realising that issue and adding express trains like the ITX. They have gotten away with the issue for some time with line 1 express and rapid services which is inspired by Japanese subway/commuter through operations, something non-existent in China ATM. On the same token with Seoul they recently added an airport express line (AREX), something China hasn't quite gotten their heads wrapped around. Only Beijing and Hong Kong seems to have gotten that one right. Every other city is just a standard slow metro connection, which leads right back to my original point of slow crosstown point to point service in a metropolitan region. I understand the political situation in Shanghai but that's no excuse for Guangzhou, Chongqing, etc. for not having one.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:08 AM   #8
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A metro line to the airport is fine enough, people don't care actually how fast it is as long as it's accessible and easy. A metro line is better than nothing and many cities in the world there are no connections other than a taxi or bus.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
chornedsnorkack

Incidentally, when shall Lanzhou-Xining high speed railway be opened?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:21 PM   #10
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As far as I know 2014.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #11
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Lanzhou metro Line 1 to start construction on March 28 2014

Line 1 phase I construction period: 2 years 9 months

source

geometarkv, ilovecoffee, Zaz965 liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #12
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18137

Subway construction under China's Yellow River begins

LANZHOU, March 28 (Xinhua) -- Construction on the first subway line to run under the Yellow River, China's second longest, started on Friday.

It will also be the first subway line in Lanzhou, capital of northwest China's Gansu Province. The Yellow River runs through the city from west to east.

The 34-km-long subway is scheduled to be completed in December 2017, and is anticipated to ease the city's road traffic.

Lanzhou has an average road traffic density of 628 vehicles per kilometer, which is twice as many as in Hong Kong.

Gao Zhihong, manager of the subway construction project with the Lanzhou branch of the China Railway First Survey and Design Institute Group Co. Ltd., said it would be challenging work, as builders have to drill through a 200 meter-deep cobblestone layer, which is highly permeable and unstable.

The subway will have two tunnels under the river.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

ilovecoffee, geometarkv, Zaz965 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #13
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Subway construction under China's Yellow River begins

LANZHOU, March 28 (Xinhua) -- Construction on the first subway line to run under the Yellow River, China's second longest, started on Friday.
Does Zhengzhou have any plans for any subway lines across Yellow River?
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #14
saiho

I dont think so zhengzhou is not quite on the yellow river. Its near it but not that near.
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

they already started....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #16
saiho

I have high hopes for the Lanzhou Metro. Lanzhou's urban form is a densely populated line that is forced to follow and hug close to the river. In a sense It is very similar to Hong Kong.
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #17
namnamdi

Likes (Received): 1

I live in Lanzhou as a foreigner and its exciting to see the construction of the subway line no. 1 by Xijin Lu. But recently it caused alot of traffic jams around Xiguan Shizi. I look forward when the subway is here and I can go from Lanzhou Xizhan to the centry much faster than 1 hour it takes now in traffic jams.

Does anyone of you know how the subway station would look like and their exact location and where to go down and up from the subway stations?

big-dog liked this post
namnamdi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #18
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5739

Construction on line 2 was supposed to start at end of 2015.

http://lanzhou.china.org.cn/2015-11/...t_37012823.htm
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #19
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

A rail line to the airport was opened this year.

Some photos can be found here:

http://www.jprailfan.com/railspecial/specialB.html
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #20
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Airport rail line has 17 round-trip journeys per day. All go to Lanzhou station and many also stop at Lanzhou West and/or Lanzhou New Area.

It costs 18.50 RMB to travel from airport to Lanzhou West (35min-42min) and 21.50 RMB to travel from airport to Lanzhou (43min-58min) in second class.

Train also stops at Lanzhou New Area.

http://english.ctrip.com/trains/Sche...tion=&TrainNo=

http://english.ctrip.com/trains/Sche...tion=&TrainNo=

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post

Tags
china, lanzhou, metro, subway, transport