daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #81
jb_nl

Likes (Received): 5051

Great pictures again Ni3ls, thanks for sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #82
Influence
Let's learn to survive!

Likes (Received): 2105

Well done bro!!
Old November 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #83
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Thanks for all the comments guys!

57. Bokeh shot

image hosted on flickr

Tower Bird [Bridge] / London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

58. At the National Gallery / Trafalgar Square

image hosted on flickr

Photographing Trafalgar Square / London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

59. Skyline from Point Hill

image hosted on flickr

London, United Kingdom / Panorama by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

60. Canary Wharf from Point Hill

image hosted on flickr

Canary Wharf / London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #84
Ni3lS

61. Central London pano

image hosted on flickr

Central London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:46 PM   #85
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244380

Lovely, very nice updates; i really like your (last) photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #86
ramyad
Ram

Likes (Received): 3

Just saw your post, will read through it when I get a chance, I'm off to Dubai tomorrow.

Went through your images on the first page, nice views of London, well done.
ramyad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM   #87
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

image hosted on flickr
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:10 AM   #88
FFILIPP

Likes (Received): 0

The pictures are great! Well done!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #89
Koobideh

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
I was actually hoping someone would start a discussion about this. Of course there are a lot of people here that are hospitable, that's the case in any city/country. It's just that the experiences I've had, the majority of it was quite negative. It ranges from not getting served at restaurants/pubs to very arrogant waitresses, waiters that include tips in the bill trying to trick you and make you believe you have to pay the 'service charge' while it's optional. Besides, for what service am I paying really? Waiting 45 minutes for a diet coke? And this is not one place I'm talking about, but 6 different places till date.

Last friday someone got so aggressive in traffic that after driving for 10 minutes with his middlefinger out of the window, he got out and wanted to fight me. I wasn't even the person driving. It did not make sense at all. Right in front of my office I saw an accident happen about a week ago. In the middle of a junction the two drivers got out of their cars and started fighting. I have never seen that before lol.

I have also been harassed by a security woman at the O2 arena for taking a photo of it. I started a discussion because her arguments didn't make sense. After telling her that if it were private property, they should put up a 'no photography' notice and a permit should be for press. Not amateurs. I just didn't believe that North Greenwich station is private property, and the surrounding area isn't either. Except the inside of the O2 arena of course. I wasn't on the premises though. Anyway, when I brought up that as of that moment 50 people all at once were taking a photo of the O2 arena behind her back, she said that didn't matter because I was using a tripod. That just pisses me off, it isn't a proper argument. Just one of many more examples.

I just feel like whenever you request a service from someone and you actually pay for it, it doesn't feel like they do it happily. From colleagues here I got the excuse that it's because the majority of employees in London hate their jobs. That shouldn't be an excuse.. I've seen so many more shittier jobs in for example the States, but they keep on smiling and serve their customers well. It's simply policy.

Anyway, there are of course many good sides to London. Not disputing that because otherwise I wouldn't go here in the first place. I'm having a great time nonetheless and I will get used to the mentality, it's fine. Could be possible that I just had a shitty and unfortunate experience until now and things will only get better. Let's hope for that

And I have met btw a lot of nice and hospitable people here. I think the British just don't really socialize outside their social circle/inner circle and start random conversations with random people. Is this true? That could explain why I have such great experiences within my working and living environment.

Thanks for the compliment by the way
It's definitely true that British people generally keep to themselves and are quite cold and unfriendly. They are not particularly social people in comparison to other nationalities. My experiences are not that the British are sociable with their co-workers either though, because I've found them to be quite distant too from my experience of working here. I go to university in London and even here it's a struggle to even get a hello or a smile out of other students, so I've already given up on trying to make friends in my university.

Where are you staying in London though? Your experience with waiters and people on the street seem quite unusual. I find British people to be very cold (which is annoying) but I don't find them to be aggressive and rude for no reason. I think customer service in London is very good, same with waiters in restaurants. Maybe you are living in a poorer area, because people in London typically keep to themselves and do not become aggressive to strangers lol.

Fabulous photos btw!
Koobideh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #90
Ni3lS

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobideh View Post
It's definitely true that British people generally keep to themselves and are quite cold and unfriendly. They are not particularly social people in comparison to other nationalities. My experiences are not that the British are sociable with their co-workers either though, because I've found them to be quite distant too from my experience of working here. I go to university in London and even here it's a struggle to even get a hello or a smile out of other students, so I've already given up on trying to make friends in my university.

Where are you staying in London though? Your experience with waiters and people on the street seem quite unusual. I find British people to be very cold (which is annoying) but I don't find them to be aggressive and rude for no reason. I think customer service in London is very good, same with waiters in restaurants. Maybe you are living in a poorer area, because people in London typically keep to themselves and do not become aggressive to strangers lol.

Fabulous photos btw!
Thanks! Well the experiences I posted are just with restaurants and places in central London. The service out here in South London is okay IMO. People here are quite friendly. My co-workers do socialize actually, but I stand by my opinion about random people walking the streets. They indeed come across as cold and rude.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:53 AM   #91
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Thanks everyone!

Thanks! Well the experiences I posted are just with restaurants and places in central London. The service out here in South London is okay IMO. People here are quite friendly. My co-workers do socialize actually, but I stand by my opinion about random people walking the streets. They indeed come across as cold and rude.
Because London is the New York of Europe. Lots of similarities. Like New York, it's not that people are rude...they are just in their zones and focused on getting from A to B. Unlike New York though, people drive more sensibly and you are a billion times less likely to get shot.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #92
newkidintown
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I really like your take. I guess I will keep on following this thread.
newkidintown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #93
Ni3lS

Thanks for all the kind words and comments!
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #94
Ni3lS

62. Regent Street

image hosted on flickr

Regent Street / London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

63. Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. Biggest funfair I have ever seen in my life!

image hosted on flickr

64. Photographers at Piccadilly Circus

image hosted on flickr

Setting up Shop / Piccadilly Circus, London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

mb92 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #95
Ni3lS

65. Red London Eye for Christmas

image hosted on flickr

Red London Eye / London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

66. Vauxhall

image hosted on flickr

Vauxhall / London by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

mb92 liked this post
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #96
.Adam

Likes (Received): 778

Fantastic photos - am enjoying your street life photography.

Just to note if you took the London eye photograph yesterday it was red/orange to celebrate the opening of the new East London orbital line.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #97
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
Fantastic photos - am enjoying your street life photography.

Just to note if you took the London eye photograph yesterday it was red/orange to celebrate the opening of the new East London orbital line.
Really? I thought it had something to do with Christmas What is the orbital line?
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #98
Ni3lS

Found it That's a pretty good extension, I think I might try it out someday as a shortcut to the East of the city as I always pass Clapham Junction on my way to the city [from the South]. Thanks for the info

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...mes/15401.aspx
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #99
.Adam

Likes (Received): 778

No problem! Glad you're enjoying your time in London.

Also when you're heading into Hoxton/Shoreditch if you're quick you can get a good view of the city.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #100
Ni3lS

67. London skyline from the Hornsey Lane bridge

image hosted on flickr

London Skyline from North London / London UK by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr

68. Panorama from Lambeth Bridge [scroll]

image hosted on flickr

Cosmin, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post

Tags
london, united kingdom