daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #1
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17477

Has truck drivers limit hours worked per day in your country ?

Yes. The regulations require drivers to rest 11 hours during each 24 hour period in addition to a half hour rest for every four hours of driving.

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

In EU this is much stricter. I don't know exactly but I think it is max 10 hours of driving over 24h per driver with rests every two hours, valid also for bus drivers.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

European regulation;

Tachograph necessary = yes
speed limiter = yes

Max driving hours: 9 per day, 10 hours twice a week
Max continuous driving: 4.5 hours
minimum break: 45 minutes after 4.5 hours, may be cut in 15 and 30 minutes
max driving per week: 56 hours in the first week, 34 hours in the second
minimum rest: 11 hours, may be shortened to 9 hours 3 times a week. Weekly rest; at least 45 hours.

U.S. regulation

Tachograph necessary = optional
speed limiter = optional

Max working hours: 14 per day
Max driving hours: 11 per day
Max continuous driving: ?
minimum break; 10 hours a day, may be cut to 8 and 2 hours
max driving per week: 70 hours in the first week, 70 hours in the second week, with at least 34 hours of rest in between.

U.S. drivers can cover substantial larger distances than European drivers over a two-week period. Most European truckers cannot get more than 700 - 750 kilometers a day. An American trucker can drive as much as 1100 - 1200 kilometers per day. The highest truck limits in Europe are the lowest in the United States. Truck limits in the U.S. are 55 - 75 mph generally. American truckers may drive much more over a two-week period, they don't have to limit their driving after one full week.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

A trucker in the USA can get very good money doing this work. Just think about truckers in Alaska during winter season. In a 4 months of work, working costantly, you can get even more than 50,000 $. In Europe instead if get a salary of 2000 € after many years in the same company, you can consider yourself lucky. Besides this, in Europe there are so many restrictions (justified or not, this is relative...) for trucks that make this work certainly one of the hardest. I don't want to say in the USA is easier, but certainly gives you more possibility that have a good life.
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Truck drivers in Alaska are also allowed to drive substantially longer than their colleagues in the lower 48. Alaskan truck drivers are allowed to work 20 hours a day, of which 15 hours is allowed to be driving time.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Truck drivers in Alaska are also allowed to drive substantially longer than their colleagues in the lower 48. Alaskan truck drivers are allowed to work 20 hours a day, of which 15 hours is allowed to be driving time.
I guess the same rule for Alaska is worth for the winter roads of Canada also.
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I approve EU regulations for truck drivers. There is no risk to endanger lives. And the wage costs are fairly low on road transport with trucks, salaries are only so low because Eastern European and Portuguese companies came to dominate the market.

Italy has a lot of problems with traffic law enforcement, truck driving time is not one of them. Fines can be astonishingly high for driving time violations in Italy, up to 4-digit territory.

There is something the EU should do as well: require Interlock and mandatory blackboxes with video capabilities for ALL trucks and other commercial vehicles by 2018-2020. That way, police can read the blackbox (which would register GPS data) and fine the driver in case of moving violations even if committed several hours ago. It would also deter aggressive behavior that lead to accidents and things like using cell phone in the cabin while driving.
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #8
ChrisZwolle
Road user

My main complaint of the European regulation is the unnecessary complexity, which makes it quite hard to efficiently plan all drivers and loads.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

yup, in sweden, a truckdriver can drive max 9h/day.
If a truckdriver drives 4.5h, then he must rest in 45 min, if the driving period is interrupted.
As ChrisZwolle said.
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The rules are the same throughout the EU and countries like Switzerland and Norway. I'm not sure about Russia and Ukraine though.
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #11
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
My main complaint of the European regulation is the unnecessary complexity, which makes it quite hard to efficiently plan all drivers and loads.
Whatever hard rule you devise, it will have "borderline" cases. But without hard rules, truckers will always behave like "the law is just a baseline", as in "I'll plan my driving period considering no jams and interference".
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #12
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
. (..) And the wage costs are fairly low on road transport with trucks, salaries are only so low because Eastern European and Portuguese companies came to dominate the market.(..)
In the Uk Class II driver (C license) earns from 17.000 pounds to 35.000 brutto (before tax) a year depending of qualifications, experience, kind of work and company he works for.

Class I driver (C+E) can make slightly more. Highest wages are paid to tanker drivers who may be paid over 40.000 pounds.

Polish Class I international driver spending about 3 weeks abroad, far from home, can get, if lucky enough, about 1300-1500 netto (after tax) euros monthly.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #13
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Polish Class I international driver spending about 3 weeks abroad, far from home, can get, if lucky enough, about 1300-1500 netto (after tax) euros monthly.
That's not really a low salary. It's more than the net minimum wage in the Netherlands if you work 40 hours a week.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #14
piotr71

Quote:
That's not really a low salary. It's more than the net minimum wage in the Netherlands if you work 40 hours a week.
Actually, it's not a salary proper, which is much lower. That amount of money consists of several various allowances. Employer does not even show half (rather 1/3) of the amount to the tax office.
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #15
piotr71

Polish lorry drivers will go through a stricter checks in the Netherlands.

Dutch only
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
European regulation;

Tachograph necessary = yes
speed limiter = yes

Max driving hours: 9 per day, 10 hours twice a week
Max continuous driving: 4.5 hours
minimum break: 45 minutes after 4.5 hours, may be cut in 15 and 30 minutes
max driving per week: 56 hours in the first week, 34 hours in the second
minimum rest: 11 hours, may be shortened to 9 hours 3 times a week. Weekly rest; at least 45 hours.

U.S. regulation

Tachograph necessary = optional
speed limiter = optional

Max working hours: 14 per day
Max driving hours: 11 per day
Max continuous driving: ?
minimum break; 10 hours a day, may be cut to 8 and 2 hours
max driving per week: 70 hours in the first week, 70 hours in the second week, with at least 34 hours of rest in between.

U.S. drivers can cover substantial larger distances than European drivers over a two-week period. Most European truckers cannot get more than 700 - 750 kilometers a day. An American trucker can drive as much as 1100 - 1200 kilometers per day. The highest truck limits in Europe are the lowest in the United States. Truck limits in the U.S. are 55 - 75 mph generally. American truckers may drive much more over a two-week period, they don't have to limit their driving after one full week.
Actually, the funny thing is that, despite of europe being so overregulated, theoreticly a european driver is allowed to work more hours a day than an american driver (15 vs. 14).

I wonder how it is enforced there. I suppose they have a logbook, which can easily be edited. How strictly is this enforced? Are there high penalties for offenses?

Last edited by Jeroen669; November 1st, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
I wonder how it is enforced there. I suppose they have a logbook, which can easily be edited. How strictly is this enforced? Are there high penalties for offenses?
Penalties can be extremely harsh. Actually, overtime driving penalties for commercial drivers are higher than "just-above-the-legal-limit" fines for driving under influence.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #18
piotr71

Moreover, some companies may sack a driver who does not keep to the regulations.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #19
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder how this is regulated and enforced in countries like Russia or Ukraine.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #20
piotr71

Bribe can fix everything.