daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #361
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Paris is amazing city!! My favorite place on earth!

I would love for NY to have it's museum city. Specifically relegated to residential neighborhoods such as the Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, West Village, South Village, SoHo, NoHo and parts of the Lower East Side. These sections should be maintained and have new development staying true to their heritage aesthetically.

Best example is what Ralph Lauren did. He razed an old limestone mansion and replaced it with a modern limestone one in the Upper East Side. It is a beautiful building. I hope all developments in the upper east side can be like this and made into apartment buildings outfitted with modern technology. That is the nimby in me i guess.

Other than that, ALL business districts such as...

Midtown, Midtown South, Hudson Yards and Lower Manhattan should have the license to be free to any kind of development. Obviously the truly Iconic buildings such as the empire state building, Chrysler etc should be protected..

These sections of Manhattan should be what pushes NYC to the forefront of what a modern global city should be moving beyond the 21st century. Specifically, the more vertical the better!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

7rani liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #362
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordak1975 View Post
The Upper East Side has got to be one of the most boring and sterile neighborhood in the whole city. I'd rather live in Harlem or the Bronx than in the UES.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM   #363
koolkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Other than that, ALL business districts such as...

Midtown, Midtown South, Hudson Yards and Lower Manhattan should have the license to be free to any kind of development. Obviously the truly Iconic buildings such as the empire state building, Chrysler etc should be protected..

These sections of Manhattan should be what pushes NYC to the forefront of what a modern global city should be moving beyond the 21st century. Specifically, the more vertical the better!
I think New York needs to finally start thinking beyond Manhattan. The borough is already far too developed. Sooner or later, there will be no more land available for new development. What then? Will the landmarks preservation commission make exceptions to allow for demolition of historic properties?

It would be wise and preferable for the city to start developing other business districts in other boroughs (Brooklyn and Queens), particularly those with good transit access like LIC, Downtown Brooklyn, Forest Hills and maybe Flushing Queens.

I'd love to see Queens Boulevard developed to its full potential and into New York's very own 'Wilshire Boulevard'. Unlike Wilshire Boulevard, Queens Boulevard has, not one, not two but FOUR subway lines running beneath it, connecting it with Manhattan, Long Island City and JFK airport. Why has New York not taken advantage of all this infrastructure yet!?

Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by koolkid; July 23rd, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:05 PM   #364
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I agree with you that the UES can be boring but that is my preference, but architecturally there is a lot of beauty in the Upper East Side.

For me, the UES is great for families and I personally enjoy the area very much. Plus I have one of the best back yards the city can offer in central park and the best museums a stone throw away. That is if a person enjoys such things, ultimately It is all a matter of taste and needs. To each its own.

If I want excitement and nightlife then I just hop on the train for a couple minutes and I got it. It does not have to be in my backyard where I'm raising my family. That is what is great about NYC.

I definitely agree with you about NY needing to look beyond Manhattan. I think the places you mentioned are starting to develop like Long Island City and Parts of Brooklyn with some exciting projects. I am looking forward towards those developments.

I envision Long Island City forming into a mini city kind of like the Jersey City Business district of the East River complete with commercial and residential high rise towers. Brooklyn has been on the up and up and there are many things going on with Brooklyn.

IMO, Queens definitely needs to step up it's game especially it has the infrastructure like you said and your idea of Queens blvd becoming the Wilshire Blvd would be amazing. I really don't know why Queens is not taking the initiative to improve itself more. Honestly, I think it could use it. I also hope the soccer stadium gets built on flushing meadows. That whole complex would be an amazing sports/entertainment venue. The stadium can do wonders for Queens.

Another thing Is I hope Queens develop it's water front along the East River. It would be a shame not to take advantage of that for development.

koolkid liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 23rd, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #365
koolkid

There is nice architecture that make for charming streets, especially more towards central park but closer to the east river it goes down hill. First and Second avenues are littered with huge tasteless buildings with terrible huge bases that make the avenues feel very unwelcoming and brutal. Many times, because the retail space is so huge in those buildings, the only type of businesses that take up shop are banks or duane reades. This repeats itself for the entire stretch of those avenues within UES. I've also noticed the UES to have much older residents. Considering that I'm quite young (very early 20's) I don't feel like I fit in. I much prefer the neighborhoods in lower manhattan and brooklyn that offer more for my age group. To each their own.

And yes, I had forgotten all about the new mls arena proposed for flushing meadows park. Although I haven't heard any recent news on it, I fear it may no longer be a serious proposal. There's also the whole Willets Point/Iron Triangle redevelopment. The whole Flushing area is booming, which is amazing considering it's completely far out there, away from Manhattan. If all is completed as planned, I could envision a street car connecting the stadiums with the new willets point neighborhood and ultimately downtown flushing.

A good start for Queens Boulevard would be making it feel more like an actual boulevard than a surface highway. Widening the central medians, planting more trees, and adding bike lanes would go a long way to making it look/feel much more welcoming for pedestrians. It's not called 'The Boulevard of Death' for nothing. Who wants to live/work near a highway? As for the Queens waterfront, Gantry State Park is very popular for its amazing views of midtown. There' development coming up and down the queens waterfront with a proposal in Astoria's hallets point and in LIC's Hunter's Point.

Last edited by koolkid; July 24th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #366
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9775

... Another one bites the dust.

This building is planned for demolition:
https://maps.google.no/maps?q=new+yo...1.83,,0,-47.74

(The building in the middle behind the church.)

https://www.google.no/search?client=...ml%3B359%3B479

To be replaced with this:

Tread here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post105575663
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #367
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

It looks like the board of Trinity Church are suffering from the sin of greed.

Galro liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #368
bolg

Likes (Received): 758

Shame to see such a good looking heritage building go. Why is the church doing it? Considering its location they must be pretty well off already, no?

CNB30 liked this post

Last edited by bolg; July 25th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #369
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

Yay now they want to destroy one of my favorite skyscrapers.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #370
Galro

Closer look of it (to the left).

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/82443460

It's completely crazy that they are still taking down buildings like this.
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #371
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

Is it even on the register?

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #372
Galro

It is not listed as one of the individual buildings here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ow_14th_Street

But I don't know if it belongs to one of the "historic districts" zones though. Does not seems to have done much good for it anyway if it is there.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #373
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Closer look of it (to the left).

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/82443460

It's completely crazy that they are still taking down buildings like this.
That is disgusting! It seems New York has not learnt from past mistakes! Too many glass and steel skyscrapers make for a totally banal and boring built environment. If they must redevelop that site for financial reasons at least they could engage a talented architect such as R.A.M. Stern who would design something to complement the church and immediate surroundings. I thought the days of the NYC losing it's unique heritage high rise buildings was over but clearly the City of Mamon is alive and well! (Unfortunately NYC is not alone in this, the city of London still continues to demolish fine old structures as well)

dexter2, CNB30, Brucey7 liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #374
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!

Likes (Received): 2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
That is disgusting! It seems New York has not learnt from past mistakes! Too many glass and steel skyscrapers make for a totally banal and boring built environment. If they must redevelop that site for financial reasons at least they could engage a talented architect such as R.A.M. Stern who would design something to complement the church and immediate surroundings. I thought the days of the NYC losing it's unique heritage high rise buildings was over but clearly the City of Mamon is alive and well! (Unfortunately NYC is not alone in this, the city of London still continues to demolish fine old structures as well)
In this case Barcelona is the best exemple to follow!
timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #375
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
... Another one bites the dust.

This building is planned for demolition:
https://maps.google.no/maps?q=new+yo...1.83,,0,-47.74

(The building in the middle behind the church.)

https://www.google.no/search?client=...ml%3B359%3B479

To be replaced with this:

Tread here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post105575663
they are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:05 AM   #376
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

I'll tell you what's happening.

Arrogance and stupidity.

Modernist architects believe themselves superior to these long dead architects and their structures, though the fact of the matter is that these modern architects are talentless and incapable in comparison (they are a JOKE in comparison). The destruction of such proportion, ornamentation, and glory is the sign not only of contempt but also a fetish for destruction of everything that makes NYC a destination to begin with (and that which they could never make themselves).

People will not go to NYC to see a sea of glass shards, nor will they go to see the inflated egos of incapable fools we call architects (those who attempt to shame us into believing the ugly is beautiful.)

The destruction of these structures will be mourned by those who are still capable of thought, but those brainwashed by the modernist mantra will continue to destroy everything until they are stopped.

The modernist ideology is a cancer.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Manitopiaaa, Podį, Brucey7 liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:45 AM   #377
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:51 AM   #378
NUMERATZI

Likes (Received): 101

Millionares? Anyone?

Subsequence .. I trully wish I could do that tho.

That building has a lot of empty space in the back, one tall glass tower could be built there without disturbing much of the existing building and there for regaining much of the money lost in refurbishing and restoring the old building with the sales of the office, living or watever space in the new glass tower.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM   #379
hordak1975

Likes (Received): 253

On the other hand, the Pennsylvania Hotel was about to get demolished, but - thanks God - the owners changed their minds and now it's being refurbished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Pennsylvania

image hosted on flickr

Hopefully the Trinity Church building won't be razed... if only the owners understood that old buildings are more profitable due to their historical charms...

NUMERATZI, CNB30 liked this post

Last edited by hordak1975; August 2nd, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
hordak1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:57 PM   #380
hordak1975

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo9 View Post
In this case Barcelona is the best exemple to follow!
I disagree: IMHO a lot of Barcellona's contemporary buildings haven't aged well.
hordak1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc photos