daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #421
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
since this thread is about hating NYC so I'm done here in this thread
Quite the opposite. I love NYC and its history. That's why I care, why I opened this thread and that's why I'm forthrightly denouncing crimes on its architecture - not the city. Because that way NYC is losing what I love about it, every year a little more of it.

Btw, NYC should consider re-introducing its Zoning Resolution. It'd immediately bring more slender, set-backed and beautiful skyscraper designs to the city again - the kind of ones that made everyone love it.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._City_1932.jpg

And it'd drastically improve the walkability and street level quality of the city, compared to the massive, brutal blocks often built since the 60s. More sun, air, beauty and views for any resident and visitor, even up in the clouds.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #422
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8163

It's a dynamic modern city which still has plenty of architectural ambition.
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #423
erbse
LIBERTINED

It sure is. But so are Shanghai, Tokyo, London, Mumbai, Rio, Moscow, Istanbul, Berlin etc... There won't be much setting the skylines and cityscapes of global cities apart, if each one of them continues to tear down its history and unique character.

Old February 24th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #424
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Oh please. All those cities are different in every conceivable way and will always remain so.
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #425
erbse
LIBERTINED

They were, and in some way they are still. But with any historical building replaced by another faceless, bland glassy/concrete box, they are getting a little more alike. There isn't much you can deny about that.

While Asian cities/metropolises of the past were vastly different, they tend to look alike where large swathes of history had to vanish for the modernist cityplanners "visions". Same for dozens of American CBDs, sadly.

Chimer liked this post
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #426
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

It's like saying European cities are alike with their colourful Baroque architecture. There's more to the place than it's architecture.
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #427
erbse
LIBERTINED

Come on, you're argueing like a child now. Of course there is, but cityscapes are predominantly shaped by architecture. Period.

And comparing lush and playful, regionally adapted baroque architecture to internationally exchangeable modernist atrocities seems like bitter sarcasm, to say the least. That's like Rome vs. Seoul.

Btw, it's not like I hate modernist architecture in general. It works pretty good where it has its place. But if it's getting dominant in a city, and especially if it replaces century-grown history, the city itself loses a vital part of its face (with few exceptions).

Old February 24th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #428
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Dresden architecture is the same as architecture in Prague. Sorry but globalization of styles has been around for a very long time indeed.

NYC could demolish all of its old buildings and it would still be NYC. After all it did not stop being NYC when it demolished the Georgian city.
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #429
erbse
LIBERTINED

The problem is that modernist styles since the 20th century (especially Bauhaus / International Style) broke really bad with everything that ever was before.

Of course NYC could demolish all its pre-war architecture and still stay NYC. The thing is, that NYC would suck then. At least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Dresden architecture is the same as architecture in Prague. Sorry but globalization of styles has been around for a very long time indeed.
You Sir, obviously don't know much about traditional architecture. There's a lot of regional specifications in Bohemian baroque compared to Elbe/Dresden baroque. Central European architecture shares many features, but also has lots to distinguish. While of course its true different regions and architects always influenced each other, even in ancient and gothic times. Still, they used regional materials, ornaments, colours and symbols. But that's not the point. We never had such exchangeable, faceless stuff popping up everywhere before the international styles arose.

It doesn't make much sense to argue about it here either. My POV will always clash with yours. So stick to yours, but stop interrupting.

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #430
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:

NYC could demolish all of its old buildings and it would still be NYC. After all it did not stop being NYC when it demolished the Georgian city.
I disagree. It's quite easy to distinguish between, say, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, London, Paris and New York when it comes to pre-war architecture.

"Global" styles have always existed, but I dare say regional differences were larger than they are now.

New York will always be New York, but its architecture is one of the things which distinguishes it from whichever Asian megacity out there. Same thing goes imo for trading Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf etc for generic malls and designer boutiques.

Chimer, erbse liked this post
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #431
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolg View Post
"Global" styles have always existed, but I dare say regional differences were larger than they are now.
Really? What of Art-Deco or Art-Nouveau? It was exactly the same in Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai and dozen other places. Equally in the 20s and 30s you could find the same looking towers in NYC, Buenos Aires and São Paulo. The only difference now is that buildings are made of glass and steel.

NYC is not becoming some generic boom town, there's plenty of heritage left and in any case the modern buildings are always different. You guys seem to have fixated on one period of NYC's history.

Last edited by El_Greco; February 25th, 2014 at 02:09 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #432
Chimer
friendly gargoyle

Likes (Received): 2487

Quote:
Really? What of Art-Deco or Art-Nouveau? It was exactly the same in Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai and dozen other places.
Sir, really, please learn more about architecture history before making such statements. Art Nouveau is not same at all. "Secession" from Vienna by Otto Wagner, "modernisme" from Barcelona by Gaudi or Domènech i Montaner, "liberty style" from Triest by Romeo Depaoli, "Jugendstil" from Riga by Mikhail Eisenstein, "модерн" from Moscow by Fyodor Schechtel or Lev Kekushev - that's not just different names, that's really very different concepts, schools and traditions. Even if they all are "art nouveau" in general, you never can mix them up if you saw enough of them...

erbse, Ulpia-Serdica liked this post
Chimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #433
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Yeah they are also exceptions to the rule. Art-Nouveau is the same all across Europe and beyond and that is because it was a global style. Just like Art-Deco and just like contemporary architecture.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...945972&page=32

Last edited by El_Greco; February 25th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #434
erbse
LIBERTINED

Please stop making yourself look ridiculous in this thread, Greco. I respect opinions, but you're trying to make false proclamations look like facts.

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #435
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Please refrain from getting personal. It does not advance your argument one bit.

You claim that pre-war architecture was more diverse than architecture today. To a certain extent this was the case in pre-industrial world, but it was not in the industrial one. As I have shown Art-Nouveau, Art-Deco and other industrial styles were the same everywhere - from London to New York, from Paris to Buenos Aires, from Moscow to Shanghai etc.

I suspect you just dislike contemporary architecture and that's fine and you should say so. Architecture and architects have always traveled. NYC is not becoming Shanghai and Shanghai is not becoming NYC. They are two different cities with vastly different character.

Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by El_Greco; February 25th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #436
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
Really? What of Art-Deco or Art-Nouveau? It was exactly the same in Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai and dozen other places. Equally in the 20s and 30s you could find the same looking towers in NYC, Buenos Aires and São Paulo. The only difference now is that buildings are made of glass and steel.

NYC is not becoming some generic boom town, there's plenty of heritage left and in any case the modern buildings are always different. You guys seem to have fixated on one period of NYC's history.
I think Chimer elaborated well enough on art nouveau.

My point wasn't that New York will turn into an Asian boom town just because of this particular development. My comment was that New York won't always be New York if you remove all the pre-war boom town architecture.

Same thing goes with Paris which won't be Paris without all the Hausmannian architecture.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #437
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

So New York wasn't New York when it was a Georgian city and Paris wasn't Paris before Haussmann arrived on the scene?

What makes New York New York is the dynamism and energy of the place and not some tired old building that nobody can see.

Last edited by El_Greco; February 25th, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #438
erbse
LIBERTINED

To each his own. If NYC manages to balance between dynamics and some harmony to value its heritage, I'm perfectly fine.

This remains fully legit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I won't. Because what was valid in the 19th century will always be valid, when it comes to aesthetics. Even the most beloved Art Deco highrises still followed the basic aesthetical logic of the 19th and earlier centuries. Only modernists brutally broke with these rules to screw our cityscapes. They may work as solitary buildings, but they fail to comply in ensembles of older, more grand buildings.

Modernist architecture in itself is more than a hundred years old - and has proven to fail at most places, so it's the one to be considered outdated, not classical / traditionalist architecture.

This is simple too:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...k_DSCF2447.JPG

The bulky yet simple GM Building behind the neat Sherry Netherland Hotel. Bulky simplicist Solow Building behind the Plaza.

image hosted on flickr

MetLife von ahisgett auf Flickr

The bulky simplicist MetLife Building behind the grand old Helmsley Building. Modernists ridiculing the idea and genius loci of the urban surroundings.

From what I can say I've heard and read, all these modernist "beauties of simplicity" are considered eyesores by New Yorkers and visitors of the city.

In a similar way, 432 Park is breaking out of context, without any sensibility for what's around. You might say, yeah, that's a character trait of NYC. But it never overruled the NYC aesthetics before the modernist era - towers like 432Park do. And uglify both the historical cityscape and the proportionate skyline of New York, especially from Central Park.

Simplicity neither means clarity, nor fortunate proportions, nor artistic brilliance.

It can, but in this case, as you may notice by reading lots of reactions in here - it fails to do so in the eyes of many.

Beauty is something universally accepted, perceived instantly and without the necessity of deep questioning and academical discussion.

THIS is what applies to a universal conception of beauty: Art Deco

Source @flickr

What's needed? A new zoning law for NYC to reintroduce the setbacks, the main characteristics of New York City.
And a new language of architecture as a valid and continious successor of expressionism, postmodernism and Art Deco.
Neo-Historism can be part of a proper response.
This has to be taught by architecture schools. Not any more boxy concrete shelves designed by AutoCAD.
No more random 432 Park boxes!

And indeed, architectural discussion about this tower to subject is allowed in here so don't feel the need to reprimand anyone.

Old February 26th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #439
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

Worth Reading

http://gizmodo.com/9-of-the-most-bea...own-1524596913

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

erbse liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #440
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Wow, they're tearing down the Mayfair for such a bland glass blooper?

WTF is wrong with NYC?

http://www.emporis.com/building/701-...rk-city-ny-usa
the top of building has a nice stucco sculptured roof soffits, and it can be removed and saved. but the rest... it is just a box covered by the huge billboards to such an extent that you can hardly see anything behind it. normally if it was a functional building, not a billboard hanger, I would strongly be against taking it down, but here...
I bet it is just a multistory warehouse with nothing worthy of note inside.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Kiboko liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc photos