daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #501
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
As if it'd be any different currently.
It's working pretty well in Frankfurt, as you can see.
Maybe, but Frankfurt lacks a major asset New York City has, which is of course classical skyscrapers. So it's alright for them to be a bit more modern, and frankly (no pun intended) they're doing a good job. The red Art Deco tower, which name I forget, doesn't hurt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
It It's going to be so visible, at least have it give a good impression on the skyline, and not look like a sore thumb!
You're right. It wouldn't look like a sore thumb. It looks like a MSRA-infected middle finger twice the size of the rest of somebody's fingers.

erbse liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #502
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58053

Speaking of disproportionate middle fingers... These huge boxy towers are terrifying:
http://www.vanityfair.com/dam/2014/0...-street-02.jpg

Tower Verre, One57 and especially 220 Central Park are so much better than those cityscape-devastating monsters.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

CNB30 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #503
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Visited possible 1 Vanderbilt development and took some pictures around there. basically almost 4-5 city blocks may be redeveloped and new towers built. I have very mixed feelings about it since as it is today - it is very beautiful. Also only one block away another 3 buildings on Madison Ave which are on the chopping block, since MTA is moving out and selling them. so all in all about 5 block from 42 to 47th street are open for redevelopment. it is ironic since only one block away on Park avenue I counted almost 20 International style glass boxes of late 1960s which can be raised with no one even noticing since they are soooo typical.

you can take a look at the whole album and fine details of the buildings here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/leeloo...h/13784518325/

corner of W 42str

it is one block away from Grand Central station

Rizzoli store and adjacent 2 buildings are all prepared for eternity...

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.ö Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
ôNot all those who wander are lost.ö J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

erbse, Chimer liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #504
erbse
LIBERTINED

Thank you for sharing the photos here John!

This is utterly sad. What's the NYC way now? Turning the place into an American Tokyo?

Chimer liked this post
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #505
erbse
LIBERTINED

And they keep going:

Seriously, WTF NYC?
You'd get lynched in Europe for tearing down such a gem.

CNB30, Galro liked this post
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #506
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21141

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
And they keep going:

Seriously, WTF NYC?
You'd get lynched in Europe for tearing down such a gem.
Property rigths are more respected in USA.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #507
erbse
LIBERTINED

Which doesn't mean that heritage is more respected.

Old April 15th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #508
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

Yeah, tell me NYC, or any city for that matter is too protected WHAT A LOSS!!!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itĺs where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #509
Jasper90
UnitÓ

Likes (Received): 12105

This is crazy. How can that building not be protected?
I mean, it's in a quite uniform area with a lot of historical buildings in a row.

What are they gonna build in its place?

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Galro liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #510
TRTL
TRTL

They should built it on the little buildings on the left, that would save this one, and maybe a regular "street skyline" with it (it depends on what they're going to build).
TRTL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #511
ajs0503

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordak1975 View Post
In NYC the percentage of landmarked areas and buildings is growing, not the opposite.

This is what was landmarked during the 2013:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End_Avenue

http://www.gvshp.org/_gvshp/preserva...e-12-17-13.htm

And Park Avenue is getting a historic district too.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...M_20131126.pdf

Sorry, the sky is not falling.
Agreed. While it may appear to some that "New York is sacrificing it's heritage and unique flair" without restraint, the fact of the matter is that the only areas left in the city that haven't been aggressively landmarked (or at least that are deserving of preservation) are Midtown and parts the Financial District. It isn't like New York preservationists have been complacently sitting on the their hands for the last fifty years. In addition to the Park Avenue District, there are also plans to expand the Madison Square North District, which would ultimately protect a large portion of southern Midtown. As Hordark mentioned, the trend is definitely going in the right direction; however, I suppose an argument could be made that it isn't progressing quickly enough. Given the recent, unprecedented demand for high end condo development and several rezoning implementations pushed by the Bloomberg administration, many of Manhattan's most treasured, unprotected buildings are being threatened. That being said, there has been a concerted backlash against "super-tall development" and there seems to have been a revived interest to landmark Midtown's architectural heritage.

Midtown Manhattan is perhaps the last battle for preservationists and, of course, many buildings of architectural and/or historical value will be lost along the way. However, I suspect losses like Rizzoli and the Bancfoft building will become less and less over the years. It may seem like developers are winning the majority of the battles, but given that there are a finite number of buildings in the city worthy of landmarking, I'm fairly confident that preservationists will eventually win the war.

hordak1975 liked this post

Last edited by ajs0503; April 19th, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
ajs0503 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #512
ajs0503

113176386]And they keep going:

Seriously, WTF NYC?
You'd get lynched in Europe for tearing down such a gem.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, in certain parts of Europe this wouldn't be aloud. However, the English speaking people of the world have never been particularly kind to their old buildings. All of the buildings pictured below were demolished in London within the last few years.

(The building in the center is slated to have it's ornate roof removed. Additionally, all of the buildings to it's left will be demolished.)

(Half of the above building was demolished in 2009)

Last edited by ajs0503; April 19th, 2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #513
Jasper90
UnitÓ

Not good...

Where were those London buildings located? I'd like to see what replaced them.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #514
ajs0503

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Dresden architecture is the same as architecture in Prague. Sorry but globalization of styles has been around for a very long time indeed.

NYC could demolish all of its old buildings and it would still be NYC. After all it did not stop being NYC when it demolished the Georgian city.
Sorry, I felt the need to correct some of your points. First of all, most of what was technically Georgian and Dutch colonial New York was actually destroyed in the Great Fires of 1776 and 1845. Thankfully, what was perhaps the most beautiful building from the colonial era, St. Paul's Chapel, survived both conflagrations.

Georgian architecture continued to dominate American tastes well into the nineteenth century. After the revolution, most residential and commercial buildings were designed in a watered down Georgian style, which was subsequently called "Federal" and lasted approximately from 1785-1840s. There are numerous rowhouses and commercial buildings in Greenwich Village and parts of Chelsea, which date from this period. While the Federal townhouse eventually gave way to the ubiquitous brownstone, the Georgian style had a profound impact on American architecture (If you've ever been to an American suburb that was developed within the last thirty years, you'd see why).

In a previous comment, you mentioned that New York is not necessarily defined by it's old buildings, but by it's "energy and dynamism". Those terms seem rather vapid, as one could use them to describe any major urban center. I suspect that if New York demolished all of its old buildings, it would be a rather soulless, boring place. I'd guess most people would prefer Paris over Hong Kong and Vienna over Houston.

"Is it not cruel to let our city die by degrees, stripped of all her proud monuments, until there is nothing left of all her history and beauty to inspire our children? If they are not inspired by the past of our city, where will they find the strength to fight for her future?"

koolkid, erbse liked this post
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #515
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8170

Hong Kong is anything but soulless or boring, in fact it has more life than Paris and most other European cities. Indeed towers and contemporary architecture define it. If it was filled to the brim with colonial architecture it would be a different place both culturally and economically and certainly would not exert such a pull as it does today. Houston's problem is its car-centricity and sprawl, not architecture. I'd always rather have a lively and dynamic city than a museum where nothing ever happens and which is only good for tourism.

P.S. No one is proposing to demolish everything, but cities have to expand and reinvent themselves. You can't go into hysterics over every single old building.

hordak1975 liked this post

Last edited by El_Greco; April 19th, 2014 at 04:39 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #516
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

Paris changes too, even in the heart of Paris. This:

is turning to this:

hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #517
AmoreUrbs

Likes (Received): 4322

Why tearing down such beautiful buildings in London when the city has so many much worse and poorly built (even old) buildings, especially some "not tall" ones
AmoreUrbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #518
Jasper90
UnitÓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreUrbs View Post
Why tearing down such beautiful buildings in London when the city has so many much worse and poorly built (even old) buildings, especially some "not tall" ones
I did a little research.

Those London buildings were demolished for the Crossrail project, because some space was needed to expand Tottenham Court Road underground station and relieve congestion, which was already very high and will increase a lot with Crossrail.

I couldn't find what they're going to do with the overground area, but I think it's a real shame that there was no alternative other than demolishing all that historical block and all the iconic clubs and venues inside those buildings.

Here's a timelapse video of the entire demolition

As far as renovation of "La Samaritaine" in Paris is concerned, I've found this website http://projet.samaritaine.com/en/le-...architectural/

The project demolishes the fašade on Rue de Rivoli, but keeps and refurbishes all the Art-Nouveau and Art-Deco parts facing the river behind. I'm usually more of a preservationist, but in this case I think it's a good intervention.
It removes a historical but quite uninteresting fašade to replace it with a very good modern one, improving the general appearance of the street.
I guess the other Art-Nouveau and Art-Deco parts came at the expense of some other historical blocks too, when they were buit at the beginning of the 20th century!

However, this kind of intervention must remain an exception, not the norm, otherwise bye bye Paris!

Here's the Streetview link of La Samaritaine https://www.google.it/maps/@48.86025...jmuYSoNwlA!2e0

Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #519
ajs0503

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Hong Kong is anything but soulless or boring, in fact it has more life than Paris and most other European cities. Indeed towers and contemporary architecture define it. If it was filled to the brim with colonial architecture it would be a different place both culturally and economically and certainly would not exert such a pull as it does today. Houston's problem is its car-centricity and sprawl, not architecture. I'd always rather have a lively and dynamic city than a museum where nothing ever happens and which is only good for tourism.

P.S. No one is proposing to demolish everything, but cities have to expand and reinvent themselves. You can't go into hysterics over every single old building.
Well, perhaps once Hollywood starts romanticizing Hong Kong instead of Paris, people's tastes in cities will start to change. Until then, you'll just have to accept the fact that Paris still seems to remain the ideal urban paradigm.

I'm not advocating that every hundred year old warehouse or tenement should be preserved either. However, historic preservation and modern development can creatively exist side by side. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen in New York.

The funny thing is that while there is much anticipation and excitement about the latest mega-skyscraper here in New York, once the building is actually constructed it seems to be forgotten rather quickly. Conversely, the oldest skyscrapers here still tend to be regarded as the city's most prized and beautiful (Flatiron, Chrysler, ESB, Woolworth etc). I doubt it if many people could point out the Bank of America Tower or the New York Times Building. - I suppose at some point they all start looking alike.

CF221, erbse, ST_dasa, Mr Bricks liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:25 AM   #520
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

This thread depresses me every time I view it.

Here's why:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/22/op...f=opinion&_r=0

ALL board members of the New York Landmarks Preservation Board is appointed by the Mayor. No one person or entity should have the privilege of appointing ALL board members. It is obvious that the current and/or previous mayor(s) have stacked the board with pro developers/anti-preservationists.

erbse, Ultramatic liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc photos