daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #561
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59241

I think Suburbanist actually is on our side and a down-to-the-core preservationist/classical architecture campaigner.

He just uses this kind of ridiculous cliché modernist arguments, to ridicule the modernist movement even more than all their crappy work in our cities already does.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Road_UK liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #562
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Has this highway been built, the clearance of filth, grit and decay from many areas in Lower Manhattan would have happened in the 1960s, instead of the 1990s.
In Lower Manhattan? Upper Manhattan and parts of midtown in the 60s and especially the 70s - yes, I certainly agree. But what parts of Lower Manhattan were filthy and decaying? Wall Street? Battery Park? Tribeca? Greenwich Village? Washington Square?
Seedy in some ways, yes - but filthy?

I don't know where you are from - but how well do you know Manhattan?

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #563
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
I just think newer buildings are generally better than old buildings, and that most buildings should have a shorter life span (like no more than 60-70 years), so that when time comes, they are demolished and replaced. Only a limited set of structures should be preserved for long time.
What?

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #564
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
In Lower Manhattan? Upper Manhattan and parts of midtown in the 60s and especially the 70s - yes, I certainly agree. But what parts of Lower Manhattan were filthy and decaying? Wall Street? Battery Park? Tribeca? Greenwich Village? Washington Square?

He's from Brazil but lives in the Netherlands. He is here to tell the world that all (historic) city centres is to be demolished and to be replaced with motorways.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #565
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post

I've visited the island a few times.

What I mean are areas that are now called "SoHo" or "NoLiTa" used to be full of decayed buildings, dilapidated tenements, decrepit former industrial buildings etc. Or so I read and saw pics.

Hundreds of these would have been demolished to build this highway.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #566
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You're talking about the areas around Broadway, Canal Street, China Town the Village and Little Italy.
The areas that has made Manhattan! You and your ****** highways!!!

erbse liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #567
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2267

I dont know what you people expect from Americans - mixture of Cowboys, Indians, Africans and Jews with loaded guns and death penalty. They are not like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Albrecht Dürer, Mozzart, Tchaikovsky...
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #568
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
I dont know what you people expect from Americans - mixture of Cowboys, Indians, Africans and Jews with loaded guns and death penalty. They are not like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Albrecht Dürer, Mozzart, Tchaikovsky...
What? This thread is about NYC. You got off at the wrong stop...

And the spelling is Mozart.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

erbse liked this post

Last edited by TimothyR; May 29th, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #569
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post

Old May 29th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #570
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 786

If the City and Suburban First Avenue Estates were demolished today and replaced by an apartment tower block like the post-war ones which line York Avenue, I couldn't care less.

As for the freeways, I partially agree with Suburbanist. Considering his username, I'm not surprised he admires the Robert Moses freeways. After all, Moses is usually considered the father of sprawl. Regardless, the area the Lower Manhattan Expressway would have ran straight through became absolute crap right after Jane Jacobs manifested that Greenwich Village was a great community. Clearing the entire neighborhood wouldn't even have been commensurate to the destruction of Pennsylvania Station, or any high-rises demolished within the past ten years.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #571
bolg

Likes (Received): 761

Quote:
Has this highway been built, the clearance of filth, grit and decay from many areas in Lower Manhattan would have happened in the 1960s, instead of the 1990s.
Considering the area's contribution to Western culture since the 1960s, I'm glad the activists got their will through.

Road_UK, CNB30 liked this post
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #572
RegentHouse

Umm, beatniks/hippies/hipsters are the antithesis of Western culture. The whole basis of their ideology is counter-cultural, thus rejecting the very stuff which made NYC, America, and ultimately Western civilization so great. You must be just as misinformed about how the world works as them.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:06 AM   #573
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Yet their work is part of western culture. I think you'll find that much of western culture is in fact a criticism of western society, materialism and global capitalism etc. Sure some of them were pretentious hippies, but many were very informed and critcial thinkers and artists.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:43 AM   #574
hateman

Likes (Received): 1836

America's cultural and historical origins are counter-cultural. What were the Puritans? They rejected and were rejected by European society.
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:15 AM   #575
RegentHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Yet their work is part of western culture. I think you'll find that much of western culture is in fact a criticism of western society, materialism and global capitalism etc. Sure some of them were pretentious hippies, but many were very informed and critcial thinkers and artists.
All culture is influenced by individual critical thinking, but that doesn't mean everything is abandoned in favor of something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
America's cultural and historical origins are counter-cultural. What were the Puritans? They rejected and were rejected by European society.
Um, no... America's cultural and historical origins were the British colonialists. The Puritans were merely one of the first groups of isolated settlers. Also, many settled in the Netherlands as well.

TimothyR, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:08 PM   #576
Suburbanist
on the road

Demolishing residential buildings doesn't mean "killing the culture".
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:19 PM   #577
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Flattening whole areas and replacing them with motorways goes beyond that. It's terrorism.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:26 AM   #578
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Demolishing residential buildings doesn't mean "killing the culture".
But wiping out Huge swaths of large communities is killing communities, as well as the culture of that community. Furthermore, I think part of what erbse is referring to is the fact that the counter culture of lower Manhattan probably would have not grown if highways were built there. Ex, SoHo probably would not be what it is today. Furthermore, being obsessed with older urban architecture, especially Victorian architecture, as well as HUGE fan of traditional Urban planning, I personally find the idea of bulldozing the buildings of SoHo, and the Lower East side (possibly my favorites in the world), to be down-right mortifying!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Jasper90, erbse, Galro liked this post

Last edited by CNB30; June 1st, 2014 at 01:34 AM.
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:28 AM   #579
CNB30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
Umm, beatniks/hippies/hipsters are the antithesis of Western culture. The whole basis of their ideology is counter-cultural, thus rejecting the very stuff which made NYC, America, and ultimately Western civilization so great. You must be just as misinformed about how the world works as them.
WOW it's a shame people like you see such counter-cultural movements a being the exact opposite of "great".

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:35 AM   #580
CNB30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Flattening whole areas and replacing them with motorways goes beyond that. It's terrorism.
Dang If only the U.S. lived up to their "we don't negotiate with terrorists" motto in the 50s, and 60s

Feel The Bern #2016

Road_UK, Mr Bricks liked this post

Tags
nyc photos