daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #61
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18842

Architecture is hardly art. Mostly engineering, money and protection

But tell me... Why is everybody so excited by WTC1, WTC3 and WTC4. It's almost the same, but simpler - facade in case of WTC4 is almost only made of glass.
Yeah, It has some additional forms, but other than that every random person could draw that.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Last edited by dexter2; October 17th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #62
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Why is everybody so excited by WTC1, WTC3 and WTC4.
Simple. Location, location, location

Currently there are a lot better recently build or planed towers for NYC (including 432 park ave) than anything in wtc complex.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #63
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

*Four World Trade Center is x1000 better than this concrete slab of a building,have you seen its immense mirror.Though 432's height and proportions make it an engineering marvel.

*Two World Trade Center is about the best thing since the CitiCorp Center,unique.

*One World Trade Center,the greenest and strongest building in the world.A new symbol for New York.

*Three World Trade Center has the New York Look,an industrial and immense structure.

Of course people are going to be excited about these structure all side-by-side.

Last edited by OnePointWest; October 17th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #64
The Quiet Storm
I ❤ Skyscrapers!

Likes (Received): 26

Surely no one's comparing the two?

ON iTUNES NOW
The Quiet Storm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #65
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Nobody shouldn't even start to compare, because we still haven't even seen official final renders. That goes mostly to erbse...

OnePointWest - WTC complex is generally no better or worse than this tower - we can say, that 432 is next old WTC... And certainly has New York look to it. It is just good architecture. Everything else is just a matter of taste.
I mentioned It just to show dependance.

Ok., I thing It's really enough. EOT.

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Last edited by dexter2; October 17th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #66
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Architecture is an art, otherwise we'd all be living in caves and monotonous apartments. True, it's become less decorative and ornate since the advent of commercial construction, modern technology and cost-conscious developers, but otherwise the design of space and structure is every bit an artistic craft and expression as music, painting, etc.

As for the WTC buildings I don't find them the highest standard for comparison (especially the insulting 'pinnacle' atop #1) but at least they're providing their own twists on a conventional theme while also paying homage to their particular site. plus the developer worked with the community and others in conceiving a look that allows those buildings to work individually and as a group. And they follow Sullivan's concepts of required tall building elements. So without needing to love them I at least "get it."

I do understand that 432 is working with a confined space and is mostly concerned with maximizing the views to the outside from within. I applaud its high degree of functionality. But now compare it with One 57, a building with a comparable function and location but a decidedly different design ethos. One 57 has a defining theme (beyond I Am) and then alters materials and form to make that theme work for that site. It engages its setting, even in proportionality. Stylistically I'm still not a fan, but compared to 432 I appreciate the efforts to create architecture rather than simply making a building.

To date everything I've seen on 432 suggests it takes one form then literally builds the same thing on top. That's it! It's not the first (or worst) to do this and certainly won't be the last. There's nothing truly unique to account for the site, minimal harmony with adjoining structures. It is a non-descript building as banal as a strip mall. NYC has plenty others like it, just nothing as tall. (At least the old Twin Towers had crowns, a pedestrain appropriate plaza and a marquee location.)

As I've said before, if I'd turned this in as a concept during my days as a student the professor would've chided my laziness. "Never produce something the contractor could've designed on their own," as they say.

DarkLite liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #67
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

I think you mentioned the most important thing - I personally don't like One57.
I don't like It's reflective blue glass, I don't like those curves and proportions...
But I can still appriciate that as a good design. I know It's a good design, but simply don't like it personally.
The same goes for 432 - It's not in your type, but perhaps you can still say that It is not kitchy or repulsive.

One of my favourite styles in architecture is simplified to the edge Functionalism. It's great because of It's simplicity, (usually) high standard and... feel.
I will ALWAYS disagree with a person who will say that It is not an architecture.
And I think that is why I love this tower.

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Last edited by dexter2; October 17th, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #68
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
have you seen its immense mirror.
yeah it's pretty much all it is, a huge mirror

Not saying all of wtc is crap just think that 432 park avenue, tour verre, beekman, and recently 425 park avenue are all imo much more interesting architecture than any of the glass mirror towers of wtc complex. But that's just my subjective point of view and I'm not going to force it on anybody.

anyway eot on my part.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #69
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Not saying all of wtc is crap just think that 432 park avenue, tour verre, beekman, and recently 425 park avenue are all imo much more interesting architecture than any of the glass mirror towers of wtc complex. But that's just my subjective point of view and I'm not going to force it on anybody.
Totally agree with that

NYC & EastCoast USA!
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #70
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Simple. Location, location, location

Currently there are a lot better recently build or planed towers for NYC (including 432 park ave) than anything in wtc complex.
You keep thinking that.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #71
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
yeah it's pretty much all it is, a huge mirror

anyway eot on my part.
Good point.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #72
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

This will be the biggest eyesore in Manhattan.
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:31 AM   #73
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57894

The Domino Sugar Plant project once again proves what an insensitive, abysmal reincarnation of 1960s architects Rafael Vinoly is: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=579100

Screwing up the Brooklyn waterfront with one monotonous, social housing like gated community block.

http://www.pbase.com/image/92584369/original.jpg

If it wasn't for that project being upper-class on purpose, you'd have to assume it's social housing. That's supposed to look somewhat pleasant by adding random colors. Ridiculous bullcrap, sorry. Just as 432 Park is.

I think I've got a new #1 architect's foeman.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; October 31st, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM   #74
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57894

I created this thread by getting some posts of the 432 Park Tower over here.

What do you think about NYC's way of sacrificing its heritage to fulfill the needs of greedy developers?

Shouldn't the city show more ambition to keep its heritage and try to arrange new development and redevelopment in a more sustainable way?

Thank you all for your input!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:50 PM   #75
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post

Omg, cant believe that they take down this building for new building.

In Europe unimaginably to deal with buildings like that so ....

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM   #76
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3267

I'm with you regarding the demolished buildings on page 1. I always hate it when they destroy parts of our history. In Hong Kong there is almost nothing left that is old.

But this Domino Sugar Plant development looks pretty cool to me. It will stand or fall with the material used. What is the material used on the top?

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:50 PM   #77
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's okay. Not many people have the ability or mental capacity to understand modernism or minimalism. They just cannot comprehend those styles. It's easier to be superficial and enjoy the decoration on the sides of the building instead of taking in the building as a whole. Even if they don't understand the point behind said decorations. Why have the cake when you can have just the icing?

Also, what if I don't find the Chrysler beautiful?
This is a common argument coming from pro modernists. "It's not for everyone". Yet, if it's hated by 98 % of the populace, it shouldn't get built.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:35 PM   #78
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21040

Moot argument.

If they hadn't destroyed anything that has ever been built on Manhattan Island, almost all NY icons such as the Empire State Building, Rockfeller Center, original WTC etc. would have never been built, since they took over previous existing buildings.

For new things come to existence, buildings that will be celebrated in 50 years or so, old stuff needs to see the wrecking ball.

It is a NORMAL, HEALTHY and NATURAL cycle by which cities renovate their building stock by demolishing what is old and replacing by newer construction.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:37 PM   #79
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolg View Post
This is a common argument coming from pro modernists. "It's not for everyone". Yet, if it's hated by 98 % of the populace, it shouldn't get built.
In a "brownfield" development like the sugar factory, the only tastes that matter are those of the people who will buy or rent property there, frankly.

Everybody else, who didn't spend a dime on the area, have no stake in terms of a development being merely "not aesthetic according to my own taste". It if is going to pollute the waters or release toxic fumes, yes, that might be a valid discussion, but a building being just "ugly" (not decayed, not unsafe, not unhealthy for human use; just 'ugly') is no argument to forestall a project.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:37 PM   #80
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I would rather have had that greenish building on the far left of that picture demolished for 432 park, instead of the beautiful Drake, but I am still a great modernist supporter.
And my comment, that was reposted by bolg, was not a 'common argument'. The jokey side might not have been painfully obvious, but still, it was taken out of context. It was directed to someone who bashed modernism in the same way, so it was a fair rebuttal.
The question I asked after that was rhetorical. They said that everybody found beauty in details like in the Chrysler only. Which is not the case. Of course, I like the Chrysler, but I, like many others, find greater beauty in simplicity and clean, modern designs.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; October 31st, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc photos