daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1552

Liverpool City Centre | Strategic Investment Framework | 15 Year Masterplan

This seems worthy of its own thread.

From the Echo -

Quote:
Liverpool city centre masterplan unveiled

PULLING down the Churchill flyover, cutting the number of cars, and creating more green spaces are key features of a 15-year plan for Liverpool city centre.

The blueprint will be launched today setting out a list of areas that need investment and improvements.

Making the area around St Georges Hall into a Trafalgar Square type destination and improving the waterfront are also highlighted in the report.

The city's three so-called Great Streets (The Strand, Hope Street, and the corridor from Lime Street to Water Street along Dale Street) would be upgraded under the plans.

And improving links between the city centre and waterfront including creating an all seasons walkway along the waterfront, feature in the blueprint.

A host of projects that should be prioritised for investment are included in the report by the citys regeneration agency Liverpool Vision.
Article continues here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-32141953/

The full report itself - http://www.scribd.com/doc/111710613/...if-Final-Issuu

A rapid transport link between the city centre and the airport sounds interesting. Merseytram still clinging on, or something else entirely?

Sponsored Links

Old November 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
HollyBlack

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
... A rapid transport link between the city centre and the airport sounds interesting.
That seems a bit pie in the sky given that there is already what amounts to a rapid transport link between the city centre and Liverpool South Parkway.

A segregated right of way (aerial PRT or something) link between the car parks, the LSP train station and the airport plus more frequent Merseyrail trains to/from LSP would achieve more and at a lower cost.
HollyBlack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1552

A useful summary from Place North West -

Quote:
Waterfront

* More active waterspaces around Liverpool Marina and Albert Dock
* Re-use of empty HMRC building at Queens Dock
* New international migration museum at Pier Head
*Begin Liverpool Waters, Peel Group's ambitious plan for north docks, starting with King Edward Triangle and Princes Dock
* Extend Arena & Convention Centre Liverpool
* Increase connections across Strand and enliven street scene

St Georges

* Removal of flyovers on Hunter Street next to Birkenhead tunnel entrance, improving links to Liverpool John Moores University campus and Dale Street
* Re-working Queen Square Bus Station to improve pedestrian environment
* Extend St George's Plateau across Lime Street, reducing traffic, "pedestrian prioritised" but not pedestrianised
* Create major civic spaces for large events
* St John's Gardens reconfigured to spill out onto William Brown Street and St John's Lane
* Improve pedestrian crossings to Dale Street and Victoria Street

Central

* Address need post-Liverpool ONE to improve rest of main retail area
* Improve links between Lime Street, Bold Street, Victoria Street
* Tie in Cavern Quarter, Metquarter, St John's shopping centre, Clayton Square into a more coherent offer focused on "independent retail, higher quality offer and buildings"
* Use east-west anchors of Metquarter and Merepark's Central Village
* Better branding, signage, transformed arrival points
* Major interventions around Williamson Square and Whitechapel "to meet modern retail demands"

Knowledge quarter

* Development of former sorting office in Copperas Hill by Liverpool John Moores University as gateway to university area
* Address shortage of student accommodation
* Integrate Hope Street with rest of city centre
* Develop lab space
* New £451m Royal Liverpool University Hospital
* Redevelop LJMU John Foster Building for variety of uses
* Redevelop Pembroke Place and London Road to help Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine expand
* Deliver third phase of Liverpool Science Park

Commercial district

* Increase quality office stock into Pall Mall, complete Princes Dock, start Liverpool Waters, develop vacant sites in Moorfields
* Exploit public sector support such as Enterprise Zone status, City Deal, European funding sources to enable delivery in current market

Great streets: three corridors

* 1. The Strand
* 2. Hope Street
* 3. Water Street / Dale Street / Lime Street
* "More than a public realm project"
* Produce 'civilised' streetscape where walking and cycling take precedence over vehicle movement
* Enliven streets with increased footfall and activity
* Stimulate renovation of "truly inspiring buildings"
Full article here - http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...l-streets.html
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:10 PM   #4
GLCBanana

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
A rapid transport link between the city centre and the airport sounds interesting. Merseytram still clinging on, or something else entirely?
The only mention of the tram scheme in the document is in relation to public realm works that are feasible/desirable to implement now that land is no longer to be set aside in case the tram goes ahead. (i.e. no longer protecting corridors for the tram scheme.)
GLCBanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1989

Quote:
The authors recommend extending the underground rail network north towards Liverpool Waters and south with a new station at St James Street, serving Chinatown and the Baltic Triangle.
Quote:
Increased use of the water will be encouraged, with an ‘extreme sports’ facility.
Interesting.

Last edited by Paul D; November 1st, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Streetlife1

Likes (Received): 124

Anyone know if anything is happening with this site looks huge?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=St+...12,278.28,,0,0
Streetlife1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Liverpool City Centre: The Journey Continues

Published on 1 Nov 2012 by LiverpoolVision

Liverpool's City Centre's Strategic Investment Framework (SIF) creates a new 15 year vision for the city centre, outlining exciting developments and improvements to key business and residential districts.

The plans follow in the successful City Centre Strategic Regeneration Framework (SRF), launched in 2001 and are a result of a major consultation exercise with Liverpool's business community and residents.

Visit www.liverpoolvision.co.uk for more information
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 105

The repor
Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 105

The report also suggests the possibility of expanding the underground into north Liverpool and Liverpool Waters. Which is probably the most ambitions part of the document.
Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Streetlife1

Likes (Received): 124

This sounds good another huge site.

"Development of former sorting office in Copperas Hill by Liverpool John Moores University as gateway to university area"
Streetlife1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Moropool

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLCBanana

The only mention of the tram scheme in the document is in relation to public realm works that are feasible/desirable to implement now that land is no longer to be set aside in case the tram goes ahead. (i.e. no longer protecting corridors for the tram scheme.)
There is a companion document (documents really) page 7 of the infrastructure assessment had this to say...

"The case for tram movement within the City Centre needs further thought given that tram movement in the City Centre is not likely to improve speed of movement across the centre. Infrastructure is costly and damaging to the important City Centre environment."

It also has this to say about the airport...

"In the long term a fast, rail connection direct from airport to City Centre is required to assert Liverpool John Lennon Airport’s role as a genuine Liverpool City Airport."

I think the tram is a dead duck from the SIF's point of view.
Moropool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Cheeky2xist
cheeky2xist

Likes (Received): 29

Before all the naysayers jump on the document (which they have already done on the Echo comments page) - it is worth remembering that the document's predecessor the 'Liverpool City Centre Strategic Regeneration Framework' launched in 2001 set out a number of the initiatives and projects that delivered Liverpool One, the Echo Arena, the Museum of Liverpool etc - on that basis a large number of the projects outlined in the project today will also hopefully make their way off the pages and into reality.
Cheeky2xist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM   #13
the pool08

Likes (Received): 229

"an all seasons walkway along the waterfront,"

this sounds interesting, any ideas,
the pool08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_e View Post
The report also suggests the possibility of expanding the underground into north Liverpool and Liverpool Waters. Which is probably the most ambitions part of the document.
This doesn't necessessarily imply anything more ambitious than a reopened St James' underground station (itself no small undertaking) and a new station on the existing above-ground section of the Northern Line between Moorfields and Sandhills.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM   #15
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 744

So no mention of Lime St/Berry St Corridor (excluding the St George's plateau bit)? This is the highest priority for the city centre in my mind. Relatively speaking, Dale St and the Strand are absolutely fine by comparison. No more talk of super crossings on the Strand. We've just spent millions on them already.
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM   #16
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

Not managed to read the full thing. First impressions though is that there's some pretty interesting things in it. For a start, there's a map of the city centre which, for the first time ever I think, actually acknowledges the full extent of it (The Mersey/Leeds Street/Islington/Low Hill/Grove Street/Parliament Street) and is a far cry from the concept that it's just Church Street and that this is a good thing because "everyone knows everyone". They even use the term 'Historic Downtown' for the Dale Street area, so Tony Sebo's efforts over the years haven't entirely been in vain.

I like the ambition to get the waterfront's profile recognised internationally. We have a habit in the city, especially the heritage lobby when putting forward their anti-new arguments, that it already is as well-known as, say, London or Paris but it isn't. Very few people outside the UK know what the Liver Building looks like or would know which city it was if presented with a photo of the waterfront.

There's little mention of trams but remember that the Merseytram proposals mostly concerned connecting the eastern suburbs into the centre. This document is soley about the city centre and whilst I didn't like some aspects of Merseytram, such as this insistance of going to Kirkby via Tuebrook just to involve another borough council and closing off half a dual carriageway rather than running it on a central reservation just to save some trees, I do think a tramway could be a good solution for wide corridors such as West Derby Road. As Awayo says, extending the underground northwards may well just mean one station on the viaduct towards Sandhills. Personally, I think we should want two: one just north of Leeds Street and one by the tobacco warehouse. Still, it's an unusual use of the word 'underground'. Of course, if Liverpool Waters is ever reaslised in its proposed form, then an underground railway may well become a worthwhile investment though I've always personally envisioned a DLR-type (or should that be LOR-type?) system to eventually serve the area.

The roads policy is the most dodgy part, in my opinion. Yes, ideally, less of us would drive and more of us would use public transport and I'm totally down with that sentiment but Liverpool's policy of making the road system as chaotic as possible smacks of pseudo-intellectual "look how green and progressive we are" without actually thinking about what they're doing. Some of the quite bonkers things that the CCMS brought in, such as forcing traffic away from Lime Street and onto small sideroad Copperas Hill just confuses people. Not being able to turn right at all along the entire length of The Strand northbound is also annoying. It doesn't discourage car use. It just means that people actually drive longer in order to find out where they're actually going. It's same with the policy of pedestrianising or (in the case of the flyovers) knocking down existing rights of way. Again, it doesn't reduce the traffic but rather loads it onto the fewer, more congensted roads. And as the majority of public transport users rely on buses, they get punished also. Okay, I wouldn't be particularly sad about losing the flyovers as they're ugly and that part of town is really pedestrian unfriendly and does need attention but they were built so that William Brown Street could be pseudo-pedestrianised, yet I see no indication of reinstating it. The pseudo-pedestrianisation of Lime Street will also be a disaster. The buses from the north and the east, which formerly relied on William Brown Street, now rely on Lime Street in order to access Queens Square. Making this harder just so Lime Street can look all nice with cobblestones is complete wackaday and I feel this is the main objective and not due to some concern over pollution. Two things that should be included are provisions for electric vehicles. I saw some recharge stations in Birmingham last week, so Liverpool should act also. Better faclities for cyclists (as well as cracking down on prat cyclists who think the rules of the road don't apply to them). A bike hire scheme should be considered also.

Last edited by Gareth; November 4th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM   #17
GLCBanana

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
extending the underground northwards may well just mean one station on the viaduct towards Sandhills. Personally, I think we should want two: one just north of Leeds Street and one by the tobacco warehouse. Still, it's an unusual use of the word 'underground'. Of course, if Liverpool Waters is ever reaslised in its proposed form, then an underground railway may well become a worthwhile investment though I've always personally envisioned a DLR-type (or should that be LOR-type?) system to eventually serve the area.
Merseytravel have long-term plans to open a Vauxhall Station in between Moorfields and Sandhills, this would tie in with that, but wouldn't be underground as you point out.

It could envisage the reopening of the Waterloo tunnel as well?
GLCBanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM   #18
sternslovchild

Likes (Received): 38

http://www.liverpool-bicycle.co.uk/bikehire.htm

Bike hire has been available for quite a while.

Where are these prat cyclists you speak of?

But to stay on topic, I wonder if Park Road was on their rail map up until the collapse the other month.
sternslovchild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #19
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

I was thinking something more like this.

The prat cyclists don't stay in any one place. I mean, they're cyclists, they move. I'm talking about the ones that do everything from going through red lights to going the wrong way down a one way street, to going in a diagonal trajectory across the road or pavement without even looking who's about. You don't see it in the Netherlands and probably almost every other developed country in the world.

Last edited by Gareth; November 4th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #20
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moropool View Post

"The case for tram movement within the City Centre needs further thought given that tram movement in the City Centre is not likely to improve speed of movement across the centre. Infrastructure is costly and damaging to the important City Centre environment."

"In the I think the tram is a dead duck from the SIF's point of view.
I've been criticised before for stating exactly this. Not every city can utilise trams effectively, and not every city-centre can maximise their benefits either..... their street layout simply doesn't lend itself to them easily. I sat in quite a few meetings discussing various routing and other design concerns for merseytram..... and this came up time and time again. City-centre planners want any new public transit to cover all areas of the centre, and if possible open up new ones, and they want this movement to be rapid..... as city-centres expand, access and "last-mile" factor become increasingly important, as passengers expect greater speed and efficiency.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote