daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #61
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 505

Blackburne House might have a thign or two to say about that. Their car park basically keeps them going.

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #62
M4RTIN

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy
Blackburne House might have a thign or two to say about that. Their car park basically keeps them going.
I can't see the council making them an offer that would negate their need for the income they must get from the parking during performances at the Phil. I can't remember what Blackburne House is used for but perhaps a change of ownership/purpose could lead to the selling off of the car park!?
M4RTIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #63
Dingle All The Way

Likes (Received): 44

It's like a training organisation for women isn't it? You can learn how to plaster etc.
Dingle All The Way no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #64
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 601

I did an OU exam in there last month.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #65
Awayo
Man of Peas

Likes (Received): 562

Excellent Scobes. You're still the OU? How much to go? I know that, part time, it take for ever.

Still, my dad had to do some of his in Preston. The other examinees would eat their question papers, which helped pass rates.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #66
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 601

I'm just picking up bits that interest me or could be of use in work. Health & Social Care currently. Thinking of doing 'Death and Dying' or 'Perceptions of Mental Health' (or both) in Feb. Will be finished by the time I'm 50, hopefully!

Did a 3 hour exam in 2 hours, as was parked under L1 and losing a fortune!
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #67
Paul D
Fugazi

Likes (Received): 1252

Liverpool 'Waterspace' dock plans approved

Plans to redevelop Liverpool's southern docklands have been approved by the city council.

The Waterspace scheme is being proposed by the Canal and River Trust to develop the area from Canning Dock to Brunswick Dock, creating three "zones".

It includes a floating sculpture park in the "cultural" zone of the Albert and Canning Docks and a floating event space in Salthouse Dock.

It also involves creating more moorings for boats and floating homes.

That would be in the proposed "leisure and aquatecture" zone, which would include new opening bridges in Wapping, Queens, Brunswick and Coburg docks.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:58 AM   #68
aeolian

Likes (Received): 157

Liverpool City Council are hiring an Assistant Director, Planning (90k). This is a key role for the implementation of "the Green Book" 15 year plan.

If you know anyone good who could be interested let them know. 90k goes a long way in Liverpool.
http://jobs.planningresource.co.uk/j...-development-/
aeolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM   #69
baias
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

It is great to read that there are plans for the central core of Liverpool to keep on growing, but although the flyovers are being pulled down, which is great, I missed a redevelopment plan for these enormous bare spaces at the back of the central library, which being so close to the central area, they could be densely populated, full of businesses, schools, greenery and life, with all these segregating ultra wide urban motorways redeveloped as boulevards and narrower streets. Maybe it is a very expensive endeavour, but it could be phased and in a decade or so, 10-15,000 people could be living and working there.
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM   #70
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by baias View Post
It is great to read that there are plans for the central core of Liverpool to keep on growing, but although the flyovers are being pulled down, which is great, I missed a redevelopment plan for these enormous bare spaces at the back of the central library, which being so close to the central area, they could be densely populated, full of businesses, schools, greenery and life, with all these segregating ultra wide urban motorways redeveloped as boulevards and narrower streets. Maybe it is a very expensive endeavour, but it could be phased and in a decade or so, 10-15,000 people could be living and working there.
This Investment Framework does identify the immediate area behind William Brown Street as one that could be redeveloped once the flyover is demolished, but as a spill out space for the museum. What is also important is legible pedestrian routes will be created when the flyovers are demolished and Hunter Street "downgraded" thus improving pedestrian movement to northern districts.

There are brief details of this on page 45 of the Framework.
Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:37 AM   #71
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

And what replaces the flyovers?

Don't get me wrong, I don't harbour any particular love for them and the area around John Moores University is drab and very pedestrian unfriendly, but those flyovers were built to replace William Brown Street. Now, I see no proposal to make William Brown Street a through route once more. The issue becomes even more accute once we take in the planes to pedestrianise/tweeify Lime Street - pretty much the only other half decent north/south downtown route other than The Strand. Making our road network even harder to navigate and throwing traffic (including buses which are still the primary form of public transport) onto ever fewer remaining routes helps no one.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:15 AM   #72
Dane_e

The plan is to create a new connection between Leeds Street and St Anne Street. So when traffic is coming west along New Islington it will then be directed north for a short while till it reaches the new link road, carrying traffic down Leeds Street and the Strand. See the red arrow :

(image from 117 SIF)

The SIF states the following

Quote:
Improved links between Leeds Street and St Anne Street (across Scotland Road) would downgrade Hunter Street, through reduced traffic flow, achieved with the construction of the St Anne Street Link to the north of the City Centre and allowing much greater access between Byrom Street and the rest of the Knowledge Quarter.
(page 43 SIF)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:18 AM   #73
Gareth
Keltlandia

Yep, no substitute and not helpful for anyone wanting to access Dale Street. Of course, Hunter Street will take most of the load but it will be pretty congested, as well as Byrom Street for all the traffic wanting to filter into Dale Street and Victoria Street.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #74
eyeam

Likes (Received): 27

I've always thought this desire to get rid of the flyovers is utterly ridiculous.

It will cause chaos for traffic and seems to be driven largely by a dislike for the aesthetics rather than to improve traffic flow (it'll do the opposite) or make the area pedestrian friendly (I doubt it ever can be thanks to the tunnels and the width of Byrom Street). Total waste of money.
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #75
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 283

They don't want traffic filtering down Dale Street

Quote:
The character and
design of this street is currently dominated
by the demands of vehicle movement.
This street, like all of the Great Streets
should be an exemplar of sustainable City
Centre travel. That is to say that it should
be designed with a focus on walking and
cycling and with adequate provision for
bus movement as its central aims. The
accommodation of other vehicles should be
subservient to these aims
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #76
Gareth
Keltlandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
They don't want traffic filtering down Dale Street
Well, they should. It's a street in the middle of the city. Traffic will want to and need to get access to it on occassion.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM   #77
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Well, they should. It's a street in the middle of the city. Traffic will want to and need to get access to it on occasion.
They're not talking of blocking it off completely, just giving precedence to pedestrians and cyclists, I'd imagine along the lines of Castle Street.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM   #78
Gareth
Keltlandia

Yeah, tweeification, as I call it. Sure, it makes Liverpool look 'nice', like a small, continental town but outside of contemporary aesthetics, it serves no interest to compromise the city's road network, especially when it comes to one of the most important streets in the city. That's not to say that in some situations pedestrianisation or road narrowing cannot be appropriate but it should be the right place for the right reasons and I don't feel Dale Street matches the criterea.

Unfortunately, it does look like the planners are moving towards making an 'old town' district out of the area and I'm really not a fan of the concept. That said, it's probably the lesser evil to the alternative of making the entire city like that and if the planners allow the rest of the city to develop properly, it may be a sacrifice one has to accept.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #79
Dane_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
They're not talking of blocking it off completely, just giving precedence to pedestrians and cyclists, I'd imagine along the lines of Castle Street.
Yes and encouraging motorists to park on the periphery of the city centre.

Quote:
The major public parking facilities should be high quality and located around the perimeter of the City Centre to reduce the need for cross city vehicle journeys.Their location and occupation levels should be sign posted on the main entry routes to the City Centre. The pricing structure should not be market led or (in the case of city owned facilities) seen in isolation as are venue stream without considering the wider economic impact on the city as a whole.
Page 114.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #80
Gareth
Keltlandia

And silly ringway plans that haven't changed a great deal since the inner motorway proposals other than being less engineering and insanely including routes such as Copperas Hill and Seymour Street. I'd rather have a sensible grid of modest-sized streets for vehicles, but also with decent provision for pedestrians and cyclists rather than a 'tweetown' core with an outer ringway.