daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

Actually, transport is devolved to Scotland, so Westminster has no say in what happens with our transport money!

We're building more railways than anyone else in the UK, Glasgow's Subway is undergoing a £300m upgrade, we're building a massive bridge across the Forth, and more 'big' projects are line up for the future.

All good news for us!
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #22
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

This is a great project for a great city. I could definitely see myself using this tram on my next trip to Edinburgh. I wonder if there are future plans to expand rail to other parts of the city. The airport to St Andrews square (and Waverly station) is a damn good line to start light rail on. Anyway, I love Edinburg, visited it in December, cold but a very cozy city.

I'm surprised the airport stop isn't enclosed. Maybe it doesn't really matter or they're just not finished with the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
December update from the City of Edinburgh Council.
<snip>
Airport stop (western terminus) -

Last edited by FM 2258; December 27th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #23
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Nope, that's it.

The original plan was to build two lines. One to the Airport, and one to Leith. But costs escalated, many **** ups were made, and the project had to be cut to save face.

There were some major utility works in North Edinburgh to facilitate trams in the future, so an extension to the north is on the cards, and an extension to the south is desirable too.

Edinburgh is a city looking to grow. It's the only city outside of London with any real financial clout, and it's Airport has been growing rapidly for years now. While it isn't a huge sprawling metropolis like Glasgow, it is a city that will grow in international importance and in population very rapidly over the next few decades. A good tram system will help that growth.

I'm very jealous that Edinburgh is getting trams. Glasgow needs a project like this to keep it on a par with it's eastern sister!
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #24
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Nope, that's it.

The original plan was to build two lines. One to the Airport, and one to Leith. But costs escalated, many **** ups were made, and the project had to be cut to save face.

There were some major utility works in North Edinburgh to facilitate trams in the future, so an extension to the north is on the cards, and an extension to the south is desirable too.

Edinburgh is a city looking to grow. It's the only city outside of London with any real financial clout, and it's Airport has been growing rapidly for years now. While it isn't a huge sprawling metropolis like Glasgow, it is a city that will grow in international importance and in population very rapidly over the next few decades. A good tram system will help that growth.

I'm very jealous that Edinburgh is getting trams. Glasgow needs a project like this to keep it on a par with it's eastern sister!
It was cut to save money rather than grace. The cuts actually cost it grace really, as they caused the oversized fleet and (for now at least) wasted utility diversions and disruptions on Leith Walk. But as you say putting the Leith line in would be fairly straightforward now as the utilities and junction rebuilds are basically already done.

The original network was a loop around the city with the Leith line being the east side of it, and a branch off the airport line further out to Newbridge. It'd sure be nice to see that all happen one day.

Ooh Glasgow... I don't know whether light rail or subway expansions would be easier. The subway could be extended to take over a few heavy suburban lines but they'd need to be rebuilt to the subway's 4' track gauge. It's sad but I doubt many Glaswegians are thinking of light rail given the managerial disaster of the Edinburgh project. Subway expansion would probably be a lot easier to sell to the public. In truth though removing Glasgow's excellent and comparatively modern tram and trolleybus systems in 1962 and 67 was the dumbest mistake ever made in Scottish history.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #25
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

A great project but the interior of those trams is just hideous. Looks like something from the late 70s/early 80s.

Extensions are a given once the line is seen as popular and a success with the voting public.

The airport stop is pretty rubbish too.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM   #26
FM 2258

Quote:
Nope, that's it.

If there is one line to be built, this one would be the best one to build. I'm sure this line will work out beautifully since it hits all the right spots.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:50 PM   #27
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

The major utility works to enable Line 2 are pretty much already completed, so all that would have to be done to construct an extension would be to lay the tracks down, and the majority of Line 2 was to follow abandoned railway alignment.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #28
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
A great project but the interior of those trams is just hideous. Looks like something from the late 70s/early 80s.

Extensions are a given once the line is seen as popular and a success with the voting public.

The airport stop is pretty rubbish too.
The interiors are awful, and so are the seats. They look like big garish fake race seats that you'd find in some eejits Saxo.

And they could have done more with the airport stop, I agree with that.
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #29
Llukaa

Likes (Received): 1763

So if there was an upgrade in the future, where would Line 2 go?
Llukaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #30
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llukaa View Post
So if there was an upgrade in the future, where would Line 2 go?
Exactly where it was originally planned to - up Leith Walk. The utility diversions are done and several structures are already in place from work started before the scheme was cut back to stop the budget overrun (from getting even worse). It's possible they could do the other side of the loop first, hitting Leith from the west via the disused rail line, but that'd make less sense as it wouldn't connect Leith to Musselburgh or the airport. But it would be better from a less disruption point of view as it's not on-street.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #31
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

This was what was planned, and expected to be completed years ago!
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #32
emyrr3096

Likes (Received): 519

Anyone can gives me more pictures? and how about the progress there?
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #33
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1145

Quote:

Plenty of great photos by forum contributors from Edinburgh on this thread. Well worth a look. I hope Moschops and Leki don't mind if I put a few previews on here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...257745&page=44
I've only just discovered this thread. I can't speak for Leki but I'm totally fine with you re-posting any of my photos, just credit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyrr3096 View Post
Anyone can gives me more pictures? and how about the progress there?
My most recent set of photos are here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...257745&page=46

Since July I've been aiming to have a wander with my camera along the city-centre parts of the route roughly once a month or so. It's about a month since I last did it but as construction work paused for two weeks over Christmas and New Year I was going to leave it a bit longer this time.

Here's a video from when they did the first full-speed testing towards the end of December:

Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #34
emyrr3096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moschops View Post

I've only just discovered this thread. I can't speak for Leki but I'm totally fine with you re-posting any of my photos, just credit me.

My most recent set of photos are here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...257745&page=46

Since July I've been aiming to have a wander with my camera along the city-centre parts of the route roughly once a month or so. It's about a month since I last did it but as construction work paused for two weeks over Christmas and New Year I was going to leave it a bit longer this time.

Here's a video from when they did the first full-speed testing towards the end of December:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFeafS-7akE">YouTube Link</a>
Thanks for the link
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #35
FM 2258

Very nice looking train!
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #36
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Yeah, just a pitty we've got about 4 times too many sitting gathering rust...
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #37
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1145

I've put new photos up at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...257745&page=48

I won't double-post but here are a few samples.

Last edited by Moschops; February 25th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #38
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Great stuff Moschops. I was positive that I'd posted a link to this thread in there, but I didn't!
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #39
emyrr3096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moschops View Post
I've put new photos up at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...257745&page=48

I won't double-post but here are a few samples.
Nice pics
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #40
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Another update fae the cooncil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki View Post
I'm cheating this time - I haven't been along the route for a while but just noticed the council have some new photos. Larger sizes on their site here.

Ingliston Park and Ride:

Bankhead Drive:

Edinburgh Park:

Balgreen Road Bridge:

Carrick Knowe Bridge:

RBS:

Murrayfield:

Shandwick Place:

South St Andrew Street:

Tags
edinburgh, tram