daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #61
flapane

Likes (Received): 2149

Aside from the bus drivers, are there any ticket booths giving back the change, and maybe where to buy a few tickets in advance?

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #62
jockblue

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapane View Post
Aside from the bus drivers, are there any ticket booths giving back the change, and maybe where to buy a few tickets in advance?
Bus drivers don't give change. They don't have access to the money that people put into the slot. You can either pay for tickets for each journey (£1.50 per trip) on the bus, or buy a pack of 20 in advance at Ticketshops or online at http://lothianbuses.com/index.php/cu...ces/buy-online

You can also buy a ticket that lasts one day at the same places. The ticketshop will give change!

flapane liked this post
jockblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #63
flapane

Thanks. Too bad the tram service isn't already working, I'd have loved to try it from the airport.
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #64
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

So I've just spent a week in Melbourne, was that one of the cities we paid the directors to visit? I forget..

Anyway, they don't have inspectors on the trains (even the lightrail) but instead rely on a large fine (+200aud) and a team of spot checkers.

The main point is that the trams run really late on a Fri/Sat night. Last one from my suburb left for the city around 220am. Is there anything to stop LRT doing something similar? I know there's a concern about drunks but we'll have the advantage of having 2 members of staff on all trains..
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #65
flapane

What's the problem of late service? Shouldn't it avoid w/e drunks to drive and take the tram instead, just like the night buses?
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #66
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

I'm saying I'd like a late service, maybe not as far as the airport if there aren't flights (although I have no idea if there are at that time).
I believe the suggested timetable is 6am to midnight
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #67
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

I'd like to think the route will have it's own night bus too, as Edinburgh already has a good network of night buses in place.

6am to 12am seems fair, it's certainly a better service than the Glasgow Subway.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #68
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1195

I understand the trams will run from 05.15 to 00.45 and will be driver only with random inspections.
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #69
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1147

Article from last week - when I first read it I took it as talking about conductors, but on a second reading it refers both to 'conductors' and 'inspectors' which aren't really the same thing...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...iour-1-3009333
Quote:
FREEZE! It’s the tram police. An army of tram inspectors will patrol carriages and quell anti-social behaviour when the transport network finally launches on Edinburgh’s streets, the News can reveal.
Conductors will check tickets, maintain order and ensure passenger safety along the tram line, which is on track to go live some time before Christmas.
It is understood that while light rail networks in Dublin employ on-board security teams to police expected periods of rowdiness – such as late-night at weekends and on St Patrick’s Day – the Capital will rely on tram inspectors to police its carriage rules.
Once operational, tickets to journey along the Edinburgh Airport to York Place route will be on sale online or at one of the 48 automated kiosks dotted along the 16-stop line.
Inspectors will not be equipped to accept ticket 
payments – like in Sheffield – but will be charged with performing a range of duties including validating tickets and ensuring that travellers behave correctly.
They’ll also enforce a booze ban, keep their eyes peeled for fare dodgers and enforce a raft of by-laws covering everything from the playing of music too loudly to wearing offensive clothing with punitive £1000 fines and year-long bans.
Transport convenor Councillor Lesley Hinds, who has just returned from a tram fact-
finding visit to Dublin, said inspectors will be visible.
“We will have inspectors to make sure people have tickets and, like Dublin, they will be on the trams all day and into the night.
“One of the things the tram operators in Dublin said was that you have to make sure there is a ticket machine working at all times. On the trams there will be inspectors there to make sure you have a ticket and are abiding by the rules of the tram network.”
Tram guards on Dublin’s Luas system dress in black clothing and wear stab-proof vests. All carry walkie-talkies to communicate with each other but they are not present on board all trams. Many have police or military backgrounds. Their introduction has led to a major decrease in criminal activity aboard trams.
Referring to our tram police, Cllr Hinds added: “If something’s been ripped, then reporting that so the trams can be kept clean and in good condition is important.”

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #70
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Tickets available online? Will this be in the form of a smartcard, or some sort of smartphone based system?
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #71
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
Tickets available online? Will this be in the form of a smartcard, or some sort of smartphone based system?
Probably the same as monthly tickets are now - they'll post you out a month and you can scratch out a day ticket
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:10 PM   #72
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Ah, I had no idea that was how it worked over there!
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:21 AM   #73
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1147

As well as the scratchcard type day tickets there's also the 'ridacard' which is a smartcard dealie you put on a card reader by the bus driver until it beeps. Never bothered myself but plenty of people do...

http://lothianbuses.com/timetables-t...ckets/ridacard
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #74
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Saw this article about new electric buses in Edinburgh -

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/...urgh-1-3029893

Some of the commenters rightly pointed out that single decker buses don't have the capacity LRT require for the majority of routes. I reckon a double decker must be in the pipeline.

As for charging, most lines have breaks at the end for the driver to rest/catch up if running late. I saw a korean project today too where they have wired a stretch of road to charge while the bus is driving. Most routes pass through the bridges/princes st/top of the walk (at a snails pace too) so it seems like that would serve most routes without much road digging. What do you think?
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #75
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Link to the Korean bus:

http://www.koreaittimes.com/story/30...bus-debut-gumi

Think of it like a wireless trolley bus :-P
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #76
jockblue

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
Saw this article about new electric buses in Edinburgh -

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/...urgh-1-3029893

Some of the commenters rightly pointed out that single decker buses don't have the capacity LRT require for the majority of routes. I reckon a double decker must be in the pipeline.

As for charging, most lines have breaks at the end for the driver to rest/catch up if running late. I saw a korean project today too where they have wired a stretch of road to charge while the bus is driving. Most routes pass through the bridges/princes st/top of the walk (at a snails pace too) so it seems like that would serve most routes without much road digging. What do you think?
I think it unlikely that the people of Edinburgh will be happy to have their roads dug up for a new transport infrastructure for a while yet!
jockblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #77
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockblue View Post

I think it unlikely that the people of Edinburgh will be happy to have their roads dug up for a new transport infrastructure for a while yet!
Aye, whens the tram going to be running?
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #78
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

A lot of the infrastructure is already in place for Line 2, mainly stuff like road and wall reinforcements, road space, and safeguarded alignment. Much of Line 2 would use old railway alignment too.

Only a short section of the tram line actually runs on street, and it runs on street through Edinburgh's main thoroughfares. Any new line wouldn't have to construct in such busy areas, because the rails will already exist there. The only real issue lies in Leith.
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #79
flapane

Panorama on Princes St tram works (corner of Lothian Rd and Queensferry)
http://i.imgur.com/BC9dDrI.jpg

Tram deposit at Gogar Roundabout
http://i.imgur.com/1uT1nEN.jpg

I can't remember which was the other street with major tram works, not far from St. Andrew... Hanover St maybe?
edit: It was St. Andrew St. That makes more sense.

Last edited by flapane; August 24th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
flapane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #80
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

Today:

Quote:

Haymarket Station officially opened by Transport Minister
19 December 2013 Last updated at 11:42 GMT

Haymarket station's new main building and concourse has been officially opened as the £25m redevelopment of the hub nears completion.

Transport Minister Keith Brown opened the building which was on time and budget.

Network Rail's new station building has a public space 10 times larger than before and more shops.

The new main entrance also has direct access to the tram line along Haymarket Terrace.

The steel and glass building also links to all platforms via a new, wider footbridge with lifts and escalators.

New look
Passenger numbers at Haymarket are expected to climb from the current four million a year to 10 million by 2030.

Mr Brown said: "The exciting £25m redevelopment of Haymarket Station marks a hugely important milestone in the Edinburgh-Glasgow Improvement Programme (EGIP) and I am delighted to be able to unveil the station's stunning new look to the public.

"Network Rail and ScotRail have worked extremely well together to deliver this transformation of one of our most iconic stations on time and on budget and I look forward to seeing this kind of successful collaborative approach continue throughout EGIP.

"The scheme is making excellent progress and is well on the way to helping provide a more comfortable and efficient railway benefitting not just our two biggest cities, but the whole of Scotland."

Alex Sharkey, Network Rail area director for Scotland east, added: "Haymarket station is already one of the busiest in Scotland and passenger numbers are set to continue to grow in the years ahead.

"This new building will ensure the railway is able to provide first-class facilities for those passengers and the new, modern station will also complement the wider redevelopment of the city's west end."
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
edinburgh, tram