daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

CIUDAD MITAD DEL MUNDO | Tower Of The Sun | 1609m | 5280ft | Pro

====================================================
DISCLAIMER: Since the project has been proposed by
the government representatives, renowned architects are involved, and
apparently some talkes already has been held with the potential investors
it definitely deserves it's thread here.

====================================================

Location: Ciudad Mitad del Mundo, province of Pichincha, Ecuador.
Cost: $200M
Architect: Rafael Vinoly (concept)
Start: 2014

Pic source: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1197382

A mile-high skycraper? Yes, says Ecuador
Published Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Not far from Ecuador's capital, tourists flock to a line etched in the ground and straddle it so they've got one foot on either side of the equator. A 30 metre (100 foot) obelisk marks the spot. Now, the provincial governor, thinking much bigger and grander, wants to build a mile-high (1.6 km) skyscraper there. Besides drawing more visitors to what would be the world's tallest building, the structure would honor the Quitu-Cara, an indigenous culture credited with being the first to define the line marking the planet's waistband, said deputy governor Marcela Costales. Promotors say the building would cost $200 million to erect. Its main backer is Gustavo Baroja, governor of Pichincha province, which includes Quito. Contacts have been established with potential investors in the United States and Europe, and a delegation from Qatar that's interested in the tower has visited Ecuador, Costales said. The obelisk now stands at a site called Ciudad Mitad del Mundo, or Half-the-World City, about 13km from Quito. The spot draws about 900,000 visitors a year. The mile-high structure would be called the Tower of the Sun and could draw three times that number, Baroja said. The obelisk was built in 1979 to honour French expeditions dating back to 1736 and late in that century to study the size and shape of the Earth. That monument was a product of its time "but in the new millennium, with mankind's awakening, this zeal to find new energies, Half-the-World City has a greater value," Costales said. "We want it to be a global icon reflecting what we are," said Baroja. Currently the world's tallest building is Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which rises 828 metres (2,716.5 feet) high. A first draft model of the proposed new building more than twice that height has been done by Uruguayan architect Rafael Vinoly.

Source: www.emirates247.com
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; November 7th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
patrykus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #2
patrykus

I personally think that IF this thing will be ever be build it definitely will be an observation tower due both to the location and estimated cost of it (only $200mil).
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old November 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

This sounds like a vision to me and the cost is absolutely unrealistic, even if Sky City will bring in a revolution of skyscraper construction.
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1197382
lowenmeister no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Vision..
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #6
patrykus

How do you now that? It's not just proposed by some random unexperienced architect studio but it's bucked by the government and by renowned architect. It has low chances of realization but not smaller than the mile tower proposed lately for sudan or the one in baku so it deserves a tread here.

Last edited by patrykus; November 7th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

the ender indicates it is not even a freestanding structure, more like an observation tower combined with a radio mast. this will not be tallest skyscraper, if built, but may be tallest structure for sure but yeah other than that it is probably vision anyway. would be interesting to see though, it is certainly something else.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #8
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

everything above ~900m looks weird in that diagram, but would be interesting if build .

but i agree, probably just a vision and at the moment i highly doubt it will be build.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #9
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
the ender indicates it is not even a freestanding structure, more like an observation tower combined with a radio mast.
That would make a perfect sense. With that money there is little chance you can build a freestanding structure of such size. Anyways the graphic I posted is only first conceptual sketch made by Vinoly. According to AFP (Agence France Presse)...

Quote:
A technical committee should be formed to compile the data from the faculties of architecture in the country and an international workshop to be held in January. This information will be provided to Mr. Viñoly to make final plans and to ensure that work could begin in 2014.
So the tower is actually yet to be designed. So we have to wait for the actual design.

Of course right now there is little reason to believe in success of such a project, but the fact that renowned architect is working on this (Rafael Vinoly creator of 432 Park Avenue) shines some light on the project. Other than that the location of equator line is quite special. Although geographically inaccurate the monument located there attracts 875000 tourists annually and they expect to triple that when the new tower is build. I can imagine that. After all even if more than half of the tower is unusable spire observation decks would be still tallest in the world even after completion of kingdom tower or shanghai tower and other asian towers. Tallest observation decks + equator location and you have a major tourist attraction. Lastly it can always be a publicity stunt like with the Kingdom Tower (originally known as Mile High Tower) - they can always reduce the height with time.

I calculated that if they charge $10 for the tickets it will take 8 years to reach the return from the investment.

Old November 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11190

lol

that is structurally possible?
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #11
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Nope
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #12
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

yeah and the price isn't extraordinary, so if the price is really realistic, it doesn't seem too far off, i still think the height will be reduced if this thing sees light one day. 900m = observation tower with a giant antenna seems realistic though. not likely, but realistic.
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #13
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloripaNation View Post
lol

that is structurally possible?
Like on the picture I posted? Definitively not. This is the obvious thing. But this is just a sketch. Maybe it lacks supporting wires? I'm not sure if it is even made by the Vinoly or simply by reporters based on the information they got. Let's hope we will see something serious in 2013 and this project won't end up as another never build vision

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #14
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Build it!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #15
patrykus

Here's some more stuff I found.

Rafael Vinoly on official meeting drawing concepts of the tower. Picture published on ssc in february 2012.

One of the concepts. This one obviously is wired mast kind of structure.

A model published may 2012.

Picture of a model posted august 2012. Looks like advanced version of previous model.

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #16
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

kind of a modern eiffel tower, trying to get as tall as possible, by building a structure that is as light as possible and has a cylindric form. i like it a lot
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #17
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

looks cool indeed. but that top part looks much too tall to withstand the windload since it's totally freestanding and not cabled or anything.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #18
Post775
Holi

Likes (Received): 475

or yes?
Post775 no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #19
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
looks cool indeed. but that top part looks much too tall to withstand the windload since it's totally freestanding and not cabled or anything.
Yeah everything below 1100 looks like perfectly feasible but obove that it starts getting really ridiculous. Makes me wonder if they just add that stick to the model to reach the announced height and later build it without it, or if the model lacks some wires.

But then again before Vinoly I never thought building of such proportions is possible.

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #20
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

What's so stupid about this tower is that literally half of its height is just the spire. Look at the photos! The so called "technological" level --which is just antennae it seems-- begins at 855m.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  

Closed Thread