daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #11881
Crazy4Airplanes

Likes (Received): 0

hi guys. ive been reading quietly these past few days and may i say that this thread, sobrang entertaining! its like watching a Pacquiao game. Anyway, here's my take on things. we all know that terminal 3 of NAIA is not that big as terminals of our neighbors like SIN, KUL, BKK, ICN, etc. the thing is, we do not need a terminal as big as theirs because our MNL does not have as much traffic as theirs (except nalang kung vehicular traffic ang topoic. pag ganon, e panalo tayo. hehehe). And in addition, Manila is not a major hub or a gateway of any huge airline. kaya we do not have a lot of spaces for transit passengers in our airports. to tell you honestly, looking at the outside of NAIA T3, its actualy big. its bigger than the Tom Bradley International Terminal of LAX. but once inside NAIA T3, it just seems, feels, looks cramped with the exception of the check in area which is impressive. it makes me wonder everytime im in that terminal how much more cramped it would be once all airlines from T1 transfer to T3. mejo masikip lang talaga sa boarding gates area. tsaka if there are any MIAA employees here, bakit ang ginagamit nyo na barriers sa departure area ng gates e upuan? it looks cheap. sanathey used carpet nalang pati sa flooring. kasi they used white tiles. e diba maalikabok sa pinas? so pag di nalilinis agad, maduming tingnan. i saw in previous posts the pictures of that newly opened terminal in the US. i actually find it similar to T3. compare the windows, the pillars, and the ceiling. parehong pareho. pero at first glance bakit mukhang mas maganda yung sa kanila? its because maayos sa loob. ang kailangan lang ng T3 natin is to fix and beautify the terminal's interiors. kelan ba kasi matatapos ang legal issues na yan kasi feeling ko yan ang primary reason kung bakit pang lcc lang ang rerminal natin at sarado pa ang kalahati nito. aba it ever, talbog ang lcc terminals ng SIN, KUL, etc kung nagkataon. tayo ang may pinaka bonggang lcc terminal. hahahaha
Crazy4Airplanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #11882
Yre
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I've never been to Dubai though I want to check out the airport if I ever decide to visit.
Dubai's Terminal 1 looks tacky to me and the new Terminal 3 seems nice if i base it on the pix i've seen, haven't been inside there yet.

Changi airport is best imho and HK airport is boring even if it's big.
Yre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #11883
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yre View Post
Dubai's Terminal 1 looks tacky to me and the new Terminal 3 seems nice if i base it on the pix i've seen, haven't been inside there yet.

DXB's Terminal 3 is the largest terminal in the world bigger than that of Beijing's.

Anyway, Manila not being a major gateway has the disadvantages of less number of tourists compared to its Asian neighbours; especially those from Europe or US. And Filipinos traveling abroad have to connect to certain airports before they reach their final destination especially those heading to Europe.

Unfortunately, NAIA is not capable to becoming a gateway airport because of lack of space and layout. It has no room for expansion. DMIA is more ideal to this since it has alot of space but enough to construct parallel railways, etc. Imagine how nice it would be once DMIA's projects are completed and if it ends up a major gateway.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11884
JustHorace
Athenaei Manilani Curator

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:

Actually, it's mainly the shopping area which makes DXB so likeable. The bathrooms are not good and the native service isn't accommodating.

And as to HKG, I don't believe it's dull. It's a very fitting airport for a financial hub like Hong Kong.
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #11885
ricoyan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Airplanes
Once inside NAIA T3, it just seems, feels, looks cramped with the exception of the check in area which is impressive. it makes me wonder everytime im in that terminal how much more cramped it would be once all airlines from T1 transfer to T3.

Mejo masikip lang talaga sa boarding gates area. tsaka if there are any MIAA employees here, bakit ang ginagamit nyo na barriers sa departure area ng gates e upuan?

Just look at the 2 ladies about to collide with each other. Then wait till the 747-400's and the Airbus A380's come calling....then you are going to have a congestion problem worthy of the front-page news.

That is how planning is done in the Philippines. PWEDE, PWEDE NA .....Worry about things na lang later.

Have you tried driving in Manila.........

Last edited by ricoyan; May 18th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
ricoyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #11886
Yre
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoyan View Post

Just look at the 2 ladies about to collide with each other. Then wait until the 747-400's and the Airbus A380's come calling....then you are going to have a congestion problem worthy of the front-page news.

That is how planning is done in the Philippines. PWEDE, PWEDE NA .....Worry about things na lang later. Have you tried driving in Manila.........
Mukhang cramped nga, mas maaliwalas pa boarding area ng Davao airport.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #11887
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 290

Quote:

Just look at the 2 ladies about to collide with each other. Then wait till the 747-400's and the Airbus A380's come calling....then you are going to have a congestion problem worthy of the front-page news.

That is how planning is done in the Philippines. PWEDE, PWEDE NA .....Worry about things na lang later.

That is because 10 years ago or so ago, A380 was almost unheard of, 747 is what was conceived as the biggest aircraft there is. The departure lounge looks so cramped is due to the walkaltor and the set up of the benchchairs that that seems to make it appear as if it's a bus station or something. I don't think it's dark in the concourse or departure lobby with a glass wall facing the tarmac.

I don't think it's the "puwede na" attitude is there,it's more of the budget. We all knew that the Philippines is a poor country, the funds are borrowed. The amount of money that was borrowed is what they can live for, and then, corruption..... that is not a puwede na attitude really... Maraming magnanakaw sa filipinas dahil sa hirap so what do you expect? Sa OFW nga halos umaasa para lang mag sustento sa ekonomia ng Pilipinas e, di ba? Magreklamo tayo ng husto kung mayamang bansa ang Pilipinas na may pang bayad kaagad sa mga pinagkakautangan, wala namang masyadong turista na pumupunta sa Pinas at foreign investors,kung compare mo sa thailand aat lalong lalo na sa HK and Singapore. There is this saying that goes "beggars can't be a chooser..." it holds soooo true on this case. Pintasan mo man ng pintasan para lang sinanasampal mo ang sarili mong mukha. Sino na ang mukhang tanga niyan?

Last edited by mwg12a; May 18th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #11888
mwg12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Airplanes View Post
hi guys. ive been reading quietly these past few days and may i say that this thread, sobrang entertaining! its like watching a Pacquiao game. Anyway, here's my take on things. we all know that terminal 3 of NAIA is not that big as terminals of our neighbors like SIN, KUL, BKK, ICN, etc. the thing is, we do not need a terminal as big as theirs because our MNL does not have as much traffic as theirs (except nalang kung vehicular traffic ang topoic. pag ganon, e panalo tayo. hehehe). And in addition, Manila is not a major hub or a gateway of any huge airline. kaya we do not have a lot of spaces for transit passengers in our airports. to tell you honestly, looking at the outside of NAIA T3, its actualy big. its bigger than the Tom Bradley International Terminal of LAX. but once inside NAIA T3, it just seems, feels, looks cramped with the exception of the check in area which is impressive. it makes me wonder everytime im in that terminal how much more cramped it would be once all airlines from T1 transfer to T3. mejo masikip lang talaga sa boarding gates area. tsaka if there are any MIAA employees here, bakit ang ginagamit nyo na barriers sa departure area ng gates e upuan? it looks cheap. sanathey used carpet nalang pati sa flooring. kasi they used white tiles. e diba maalikabok sa pinas? so pag di nalilinis agad, maduming tingnan. i saw in previous posts the pictures of that newly opened terminal in the US. i actually find it similar to T3. compare the windows, the pillars, and the ceiling. parehong pareho. pero at first glance bakit mukhang mas maganda yung sa kanila? its because maayos sa loob. ang kailangan lang ng T3 natin is to fix and beautify the terminal's interiors. kelan ba kasi matatapos ang legal issues na yan kasi feeling ko yan ang primary reason kung bakit pang lcc lang ang rerminal natin at sarado pa ang kalahati nito. aba it ever, talbog ang lcc terminals ng SIN, KUL, etc kung nagkataon. tayo ang may pinaka bonggang lcc terminal. hahahaha
I don't think NAIA T3 looks bigger outside comparing to LAX airport, there is noooo way !!

If it's dusty in Manila, the more you don't want carpet flooring because it is harder to maintain and clean. Although, dust don't really get in as much a closed in facility with airconditioning system so carpet would be okay somehow, I was just saying since you said it is dusty in Manila...

We've got to realize that T3 wasn't supposed to be openned and that everything about T3 is still in limbo, it is to be expected that there are parts there that looks undone and probably dim. Arroyo just had to force certain sectors to get T3 up and running to avoid much further embarrassment for not being able to have it openned even further under her own term.

I don't know why MIAA authorities allowed those seats be positioned the way it is and is even close to the walkalator, but then again, like I said, everything in T3 are all temporary? Who knows? It might be closed again but chances are, it will not be closed. I believe the departure lounges were designed and patterned to the older airport terminals such as in the US, Even St Louis' Lambert International airport has lower ceiling like in NAIA T3.
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #11889
boroyski
BOROYSKI

Quote:

Have you seen the whole plan of NAIA3? Do you know that there are North concourse and south concourse gates? Do you know that the one using by NAIA now is the norht concourse and part of the terminal main terminal building? do you know that the north concourse is actually smaller in dimension than the south concourse? we know already that it is narrow but my god, hindi pa nabubuksan ng tuluyan ang NAIA3, ung masikip na parte lang ang binuksan, inisip n ninyo n masikip ang buong airport. Hintayin mong magopen ng tuluyan saka ka magcomment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
That is because 10 years ago or so ago, A380 was almost unheard of, 747 is what was conceived as the biggest aircraft there is. The departure lounge looks so cramped is due to the walkaltor and the set up of the benchchairs that that seems to make it appear as if it's a bus station or something. I don't think it's dark in the concourse or departure lobby with a glass wall facing the tarmac.

I don't think it's the "puwede na" attitude is there,it's more of the budget. We all knew that the Philippines is a poor country, the funds are borrowed. The amount of money that was borrowed is what they can live for, and then, corruption..... that is not a puwede na attitude really... Maraming magnanakaw sa filipinas dahil sa hirap so what do you expect? Sa OFW nga halos umaasa para lang mag sustento sa ekonomia ng Pilipinas e, di ba? Magreklamo tayo ng husto kung mayamang bansa ang Pilipinas na may pang bayad kaagad sa mga pinagkakautangan, wala namang masyadong turista na pumupunta sa Pinas at foreign investors,kung compare mo sa thailand aat lalong lalo na sa HK and Singapore. There is this saying that goes "beggars can't be a chooser..." it holds soooo true on this case. Pintasan mo man ng pintasan para lang sinanasampal mo ang sarili mong mukha. Sino na ang mukhang tanga niyan?
Gusto nya mansion eh pang bahay kubo lang naman ang pera nya! Buti nga sa yo!

Now you know, you know?
boroyski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #11890
Yre
BANNED

Quote:

Agree ako sa lahat ng sinabi mo maliban sa ni-highlight ko. Hindi naman mga mahihirap yung mga magnanakaw sa atin ah. Bagkos yaong mga mahihirap ang laging ninanakawan kamo kagaya mo at ako.
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #11891
hybridace101

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHorace View Post
Actually, it's mainly the shopping area which makes DXB so likeable. The bathrooms are not good and the native service isn't accommodating.

And as to HKG, I don't believe it's dull. It's a very fitting airport for a financial hub like Hong Kong.
Just to reiterate, for the record, my top 5 airports (that I have been to) in descending order are as follows:

1. DXB
2-3. AMS-SIN
4. HKG
5. YVR

The good thing about SIN and AMS is that even if you're final destination is in either of those airports, you can explore the terminals with ease immediately after coming from your arriving flight. That is no need to go through a security check to (re)-enter the transit area.

While I heard of airports like ICN, PEK, CDG, SYD, Qatar, etc, my problem is I haven't been to those airports so I can't comment on them.

What do you think of those on my list?

Last edited by hybridace101; May 18th, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
hybridace101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #11892
anonymous_filipino

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:

It's very cramped nga! I will be experiencing this terminal for the first time this Saturday going to Caticlan. Well lahat tayo tingin natin mali talaga yung seating arrangement. Dunno what went into the head of Al Cusi and his team in deciding that kind of seating arrangement, eh hindi naman ganyan sa T1 at T2. If those seat were arranged like that of T1 and T2, that part of T3 will not look cramped anymore. Also that walkalator is kinda in the wrong place. For in Suvarnabhumi Airport and HKIA, the walkalators in the departure boarding gates are placed next to the wall while this walkalator is placed far from the wall. Blame this one on PIATCO.

Anyway, why is that the MIAA has not yet installed a large LCD FIDS in the check-in and arrival area?

Last edited by anonymous_filipino; May 18th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
anonymous_filipino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #11893
Crazy4Airplanes

Quote:
I don't think NAIA T3 looks bigger outside comparing to LAX airport, there is noooo way !!
Just to clarify, what i said in my earlier post was NAIA Terminal 3 is bigger than the Tom Bradley International Terminal in LAX. I did not say that it's bigger than the entire LAX. There is a big difference. I am only referring to the terminal as shown in the pictures below. If you'd notice, it only has 9 Jetways/bridges as opposed to the more 20+ that NAIA3 has.

But despite its smaller size, the international terminal of LAX, Tom Bradley, seems bigger. This I believe is attributed by what's inside the terminal itself. It also has a mezzanine level just like that of NAIA3. It is also located in the same are, just after the check in lobby. But instead of having just 3 stalls there, (Jollibee, Ministop, and a coffee place i cant remember anymore) accentuated by distastefully placed white plywood boards, theirs is complete. Pero despite this, i really think NAIA 3 lacks space sa departure area. Kahit na buksan pa yung other concourse. And even if you rearrange the chairs, it still will not create a lot of extra space. Parang may mali talaga sa NAIA T3. It's big and all but it stops there. Siguro what the designers thought e para mas kumita ang terminal, mas nilakihan nila ang mall/duty free area (na hanggang ngayon e sarado), para ang mga tao, instead of cramping dun sa departure area, e dun nalang tumambay. hehehe.

Last edited by Crazy4Airplanes; May 18th, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Crazy4Airplanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #11894
mucho
AirMucho

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Mukhang cramped nga, mas maaliwalas pa boarding area ng Davao airport.
sa tingin ko ibahin lang nila ang sitting arrangment luluwag na yan, di kasi tama ang pag-ayos nila sa mga silya.......
mucho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #11895
Dreamtofly
Flying HigH

Likes (Received): 8

Well guy's there is no point of arguing on T3. T3 still not a property of the government. Hopefully that when the government own this they should invest on beautification. I think that area which is cramp where intended for domestic flight. When you look at the appearance of T3 outside it is nice and big.

What is the reason why Singapore delay the decision for this case.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #11896
mwg12a

Quote:
Agree ako sa lahat ng sinabi mo maliban sa ni-highlight ko. Hindi naman mga mahihirap yung mga magnanakaw sa atin ah. Bagkos yaong mga mahihirap ang laging ninanakawan kamo kagaya mo at ako.
I agree with you somehow, trouble is when it comes to these aspects? High rollers aim something big out of greed while the lesser fortunate ones just steal for survival.....

Bottom line is, T3 was built to alleviate congestion in T1 most especially in Departure -check in lobby, immigration counters and baggage claim area. That was (being) resolved, the design of the concourse was just fitting for the amount of usual travelers in the Philippines, there was never an issue of congestions in the preboarding lobby, first of, the passengers really don't stay there that long, so, the designers and engineer precalculated the amount of people who would stay there. Now, since the T3 is openned, not the whole facility is being occupied. Only the south wing was being used mostly "apparently". Other areas are barred from being crossed on by passengers. IF and IF the benches are being used as a barrier during the preboarding of passengers. Obviously, this is due to the UNCERTAIN status of the actual faith of the terminal building. Atleast, the domestic airport is now relieved... I think it is more sensible for us to WHINE on why the four asian air carriers are not moving in T3 yet since once that happened?? The congestions in T1 would be realized to a certain length of time. I don't think that is a "puede na" attitude.

Last edited by mwg12a; May 19th, 2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #11897
mwg12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Airplanes View Post
Just to clarify, what i said in my earlier post was NAIA Terminal 3 is bigger than the Tom Bradley International Terminal in LAX. I did not say that it's bigger than the entire LAX. There is a big difference. I am only referring to the terminal as shown in the pictures below. If you'd notice, it only has 9 Jetways/bridges as opposed to the more 20+ that NAIA3 has.

But despite its smaller size, the international terminal of LAX, Tom Bradley, seems bigger. This I believe is attributed by what's inside the terminal itself. It also has a mezzanine level just like that of NAIA3. It is also located in the same are, just after the check in lobby. But instead of having just 3 stalls there, (Jollibee, Ministop, and a coffee place i cant remember anymore) accentuated by distastefully placed white plywood boards, theirs is complete. Pero despite this, i really think NAIA 3 lacks space sa departure area. Kahit na buksan pa yung other concourse. And even if you rearrange the chairs, it still will not create a lot of extra space. Parang may mali talaga sa NAIA T3. It's big and all but it stops there. Siguro what the designers thought e para mas kumita ang terminal, mas nilakihan nila ang mall/duty free area (na hanggang ngayon e sarado), para ang mga tao, instead of cramping dun sa departure area, e dun nalang tumambay. hehehe.
Yeah, I see what you mean on that Tom Bradley part now. You've got a point there.

Somehow you are right with the arrangement of the chairs and the walkalator, but, someone here mentioned that it's only the south wing is being used so who knows? North wing might have bigger space, and besides, I don't think there would be crowding that much in the predeparture gates or area since the passengers doesn't stay long. I am seing now why the Main terminal of NAIA T3 is huge, like I said, the congestions are usually in the seurity check point, check-in counters and such. Then the immigration part. Once an incoming passengers arrive, unlike the airports in the US where the incoming passengers disabarked from their aircrafts, they usually walk out in the same area or gate where outgoing passengers are awaiting for embarkation (unless it's an international flight) while in the Philippines disembarking passengers (domestic or international) usually walked out towards a corridor leading to baggage claim area.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #11898
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:

The Philippines isn't a poor country its middle income. Even in the more developed countries within South America have these problems, even worse.

Anyway, The Philippines is not the only country with a fare share of workers abroad. China and India for example have its own share of nationalities working abroad. In fact their remittance rate is higher than The Philippines.

As for T3. Why compare it to LAX? For one, the Tom Bradley terminal is undergoing modernization. NAIA T2 and T3 just needs to upgrade thats it. Forget T1 its already beyond help. The visitor area is already doomed!

Hindi lahat ng infrastructure dito ay "pwede na". SCTEX is impressive for one.

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #11899
avspilot69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
TForget T1 its already beyond help. The visitor area is already doomed!

Hindi lahat ng infrastructure dito ay "pwede na". SCTEX is impressive for one.
If you think about it, The original MIA was built in the mid 1950's and T1 was built in the early 80's. So that's 30 years. T1 as of now its almost 30 years old. So maybe we ought to build another T1
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #11900
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspilot69 View Post
If you think about it, The original MIA was built in the mid 1950's and T1 was built in the early 80's. So that's 30 years. T1 as of now its almost 30 years old. So maybe we ought to build another T1
Or renovate it just like they did with some terminals in JFK.