daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #161
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

this building looks so weird, it indeed only fits next to Eureka Tower or into the middle of Dubai Marina

melbourne_bulls, Highcliff liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #162
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Fed Square was unanimously hated by everyone and now it is loved by all of melbourne and has become an icon, same with Eureka tower. Melbourne has a trend bold and brutal style architecture and it just seems to work. I have no doubt that this tower will compliment the skyline perfectly.

Also as someone from melbourne who has been watching this development from when it 1st appeared, it grows on you. I thought it was a monstrosity that only belonged in Dubai when I 1st saw it but then started to love it, a process I believe many others have gone through. If you dont like it now come back again in a week and have a look, and then the next week and it will eventually hit you.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #163
Bronteboy
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Fed Square was unanimously hated by everyone and now it is loved by all of melbourne and has become an icon, same with Eureka tower. Melbourne has a trend bold and brutal style architecture and it just seems to work. I have no doubt that this tower will compliment the skyline perfectly.

Also as someone from melbourne who has been watching this development from when it 1st appeared, it grows on you. I thought it was a monstrosity that only belonged in Dubai when I 1st saw it but then started to love it, a process I believe many others have gone through. If you dont like it now come back again in a week and have a look, and then the next week and it will eventually hit you.
Exactly.
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #164
hoschke118

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
this building looks so weird, it indeed only fits next to Eureka Tower or into the middle of Dubai Marina
This is odd... I don't think it suits any part of dubai at all. I can maybe see it fitting in some of the east asian cities, but not dubai.

But going back to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain View Post
[IMG]http://i48.************/10glg2g.jpg[/IMG]
...I think it looks perfect where it is.

VXO, TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
hoschke118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #165
*astro*
Watching from afar

Likes (Received): 24

Open your eyes

Hey guys,

If you haven't realized already, if you look at the building from the very top it will look like an islamic star which is why there is the intentional overhanging floors.

The Arabs have a big influence on Europe and now Australia is their next target (not that I'm saying it's a bad thing. But slowly you will see more tokens of the Arab world coming into your country. Does the below look familiar?

Highcliff liked this post
*astro* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #166
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 838

I can see how some people might have some doubts about this building by itself but I think when you put it amongst the rest of Melbourne it fits in pretty well.

A few more renders (again courtesy of Curtain):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psb6884dec.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps34096fa4.jpg

VXO, Highcliff liked this post
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #167
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

I hope to visit Melobourne again soon when this is completed! I did not like it from the first set of renders but I do have to admit, it looks amazing in the render at the top of the page!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM   #168
melbourne_bulls

Likes (Received): 2

a 400m tower at 555 Collins st?
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cb...423-2icqo.html

VXO liked this post
melbourne_bulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:27 PM   #169
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3183

At first I didn't like the design. But after seeing it in the skyline, I think it will be a great looking tower.
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #170
VXO

Likes (Received): 12

Amazing it's so unique and new one of my favorite supertalls, it will be iconic.
VXO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM   #171
Khaleejian

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by *astro* View Post
Hey guys,

If you haven't realized already, if you look at the building from the very top it will look like an islamic star which is why there is the intentional overhanging floors.

The Arabs have a big influence on Europe and now Australia is their next target (not that I'm saying it's a bad thing. But slowly you will see more tokens of the Arab world coming into your country. Does the below look familiar?

The star on the tower derives from the Australian flag you goof.

That pic of Qantas and Emirates together is no sign of Arab influence as much as it is a sign of cosmopolitanism. Dubai itself, home of Emirates airlines, hardly has any natives.

mw123, earthbuilder liked this post
Khaleejian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #172
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

"Australia 108" = the sequel to the Eureka Tower.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #173
StreetX

Likes (Received): 54

Southern hemisphere's tallest building shelved

Ambitious plans to build the southern hemisphere's tallest skyscraper in Southbank have been abandoned.

Fender Katsalidis Architects, the consortium behind the landmark Australia 108 building earmarked for 70 Southbank Boulevard, has confirmed it is redesigning plans for the site after a ''hybrid of requirements'' - from bodies such as VicRoads and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority - rendered the proposal ''impossible''.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy approved the 108-level proposal in March after a short consultation period and despite objections it would create traffic congestion and cast shadows over the Shrine of Remembrance. It was also claimed the building would obstruct a flight path.
Town of Mallacoota.

Central Mallacoota will soon have an upgraded commercial and retail premises. Photo: Michael Rayner

Its scale was also rejected by Melbourne City Council.
Advertisement

New plans for the 2642 sq m site are expected to result in a relatively more modest sub-100-level tower or two 50-plus level buildings, but this could not be confirmed.

The owners said they were discussing with builders and consultants ways to advance constructing options.

The $600 million Australia 108 had received approval for a height of 388 metres and included a skyrise hotel atop 664 prestige apartments and lower-level retail precinct.

It was unveiled immediately after an unsuccessful advertising campaign to sell the site for about $25 million last year. Throughout that campaign, advertising material touted a permit issued by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in 2010 for a major 72-level, 607-unit apartment complex.

The Southbank site remained on the market for private sale in the months after Australia 108 was unveiled.

The site is currently identified with a low-rise office building, for years the head office of international explosives and fertiliser giant Incitec Pivot, which now leases space in nearby Freshwater Place.

At present Melbourne's tallest tower is the Eureka building which soars 297 metres, or 92 levels. Eureka was developed by the Katsalidis group between 2002 and 2006. Gold Coast's Q1 - Australia's tallest building - rises 323 metres.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/prope...#ixzz2YB9li08N
StreetX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #174
hightower1
power of tower

Likes (Received): 80

Hallelullah thank fcuk for that. I'm not anti development, build em taller the better but how about designing something classy not shitworthy.
Hopefully now somebody will.
hightower1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #175
StreetX

Likes (Received): 54

From the building's Thread in OzScrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantas743 View Post
Just received this in my inbox:

Dear Qantas743

On behalf of the developers, I am pleased to update you with the latest developments in this landmark Melbourne project.

Since the Australia 108 Planning Approval was issued, we have been addressing the numerous conditions imposed and confirming the viability of all aspects of the project. One such condition was the Melbourne PANS-OPS flight path restriction enforced by CASA limiting the tower’s potential height to 312m. Despite the support of the Victorian Government’s Department of Planning and Community Development and the Planning Minister, it became clear that a redesign would be required.

Importantly, the developers are not prepared to sacrifice their essential vision which was to ensure Australia 108 was equivalent or superior in its offering to Eureka Tower, along with the addition of a premium brand hotel. Fortunately the hotel offering has been embraced internationally, and we are optimistic about securing an optimal partnership with a suitably credentialed hotel operator, positively enhancing the amenity of all apartment owners.

The design reviews have involved intense interaction with builders and consultants, which have greatly advanced previously unresolved costing, construction and design issues. All of which will result in a far superior building both functionally and aesthetically. Our aim is to complete these reviews in 2013 and present to Australia 108 registrants in first quarter of 2014.

We understand this timing is materially different to that previously advised, and accordingly for anyone wishing to have their $1000 registration fee refunded, we are more than happy to do this; retaining your registration details and priority standing. Please contact Brett Jarvis to arrange a fee refund, [email protected].

When our final Australia 108 redesign is ready to present, rest assured as one of our special early registrants you will be the first to view the project, before any public release.

Thank you again for your support. We look forward to providing you with the opportunity to obtain a very special apartment in a very special building.

Sincerely,

Benni Aroni
Australia 108
StreetX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #176
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

312m would be still good

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #177
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

huge, huge disappointment. Tired of getting proposals of amazing buildings that would really make an impact on Melbourne's skyline to always have it cancelled due to NIMBY's or other bureaucratic BS.

Last edited by MelboyPete; July 8th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #178
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelboyPete View Post
huge, huge disappointment. Tired of getting proposals of amazing buildings that would really make an impact on Melbourne's skyline to always have it cancelled due to NIMBY's or other bureaucratic BS.
Generally speaking (of course there are exceptions), democracy is not good for skyscraper construction.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #179
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

btw, how can you have 108 floors in[side] a building that's only 388 meters high?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #180
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
btw, how can you have 108 floors in[side] a building that's only 388 meters high?
Because it's residental. Eureka tower is 297m tall with 92 floors.

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, australia 108, melbourne, supertall