daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #181
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I don't even get the "i'm doing the speed limit" thing. I get annoyed by people in left lane going 15 or 20 MPH over the speed limit when I want to go faster...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #182
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #183
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I don't even get the "i'm doing the speed limit" thing. I get annoyed by people in left lane going 15 or 20 MPH over the speed limit when I want to go faster...
I know same. You see them in the distance and you're comming up to them and there just sitting in the overtaking lane for no reason and they don't move over. A while back we I was on the motorway it was completely empty exept the moron in front of me who decide to pull into the middle lane for no reason so I had to change lanes 4 times to pass him. Most annoying people on the planet not even joking.

Kanadzie liked this post
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #184
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

So the lane-discipline obsession is not so much about people obeying rules as it is about people obeying certain rules. (Keep right/left except to pass/overtake: important. Speed limits: not.) Or about people not inconveniencing you....

Reminds me of someone who shall remain nameless who (at least according to what he said here) thought it was his job to enforce lane discipline by tailgating and passing on the wrong side.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Nils de Gothia, g.spinoza liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #185
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So the lane-discipline obsession is not so much about people obeying rules as it is about people obeying certain rules. (Keep right/left except to pass/overtake: important. Speed limits: not.) Or about people not inconveniencing you....

Reminds me of someone who shall remain nameless who (at least according to what he said here) thought it was his job to enforce lane discipline by tailgating and passing on the wrong side.
Tailgating is ugly. But passing on the "wrong" side is not possible. If there is space available, the driver of the passed car must have done something wrong. Unless you use the shoulder for passing that is.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #186
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Snowdog. Live dangerously
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #187
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
If you're referring to me, passing on the "wrong" lane (the rightmost one) is possible, at least in Italy, as long as you don't change your lane (if you are on the rightmost lane, faster then someone in the middle lane, you don't have to overtake him on the third lane)
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #188
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm talking about someone who seems to have confused the Netherlands with the Nürburgring. (sp?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

g.spinoza liked this post
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #189
Road_UK
BANNED

Snowdog.

g.spinoza liked this post
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #190
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
If you're referring to me, passing on the "wrong" lane (the rightmost one) is possible, at least in Italy, as long as you don't change your lane (if you are on the rightmost lane, faster then someone in the middle lane, you don't have to overtake him on the third lane)
It's a very easy thing to do as well in Italy. That Fiat Panda in the middle lane on the A4 between Milan and Turin is never going to move, until it reaches its exit.
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #191
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils de Gothia View Post
Tailgating is ugly. But passing on the "wrong" side is not possible. If there is space available, the driver of the passed car must have done something wrong. Unless you use the shoulder for passing that is.
Passing on the wrong side is possible. Shouldn't be, but it is. All it takes is someone in the middle lane (of 3) (or one of the middle lanes of 4 or more) who either shouldn't be there or hasn't shifted back into the slow lane fast enough for the impatient a-- behind him. Who duly passes him on the slow side.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #192
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Ah, I see what you mean: it would actually be legal.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #193
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean: it would actually be legal.
Exactly, they made distinction between "sorpassare" (overtake) and "superare" (pass). Doing the former on the right is forbidden, doing the latter is not.
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #194
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

See, if there's someone chugging along at 55 mph in lane 2 out of 4 (counting from the inside, so the "fast lane" is 1) and I'm doing 60 in lane 3, I always feel as if I'm doing something wrong when I pass - perhaps "go past" would be better in this situation - him. Even if I'm maintaining that 60 rather than speeding up. I mean, I do it, but it feels wrong although it's really the other driver who's in the wrong by creating the situation.

This may be an appropriate time to remind all and sundry that since the first post of this thread I've hypothesized people "distributing themselves according to speed" and assuming a busy road. Slowest traffic to the right, faster people in the middle, fastest people to the left. If the road is really empty, sure, keep right. But if it has four lanes in each direction, there's probably a reason for that.

So that person who's chugging along at 55 in lane 2 really should be in lane 4 if most people are doing 60 or 65.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #195
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I've had so many times coming home from a party or some evening event going home, at let's say 2200 - 0200 kind of time, and people driving 70 mph in left lane, 60 mph in middle, right lane, empty, totally empty, so I drive 90 mph over there

I think most of the day the distribution is correct but there seems a strange fear in North America of staying in right lane...

at least where I live lane discipline seems to work better when the road is busier (until it gets to inevitable "all lanes stopped"...)
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #196
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

I think a pronounced difference between Europe and the United States is that semi trucks in Europe generally stay in the rightmost lane unless passing. In the United States it is common for trucks to drive in the middle lanes in urban areas.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #197
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2905

Quote:
people driving 70 mph in left lane, 60 mph in middle, right lane, empty, totally empty, so I drive 90 mph over there
Some people think the same. Even if there isn't a right lane but a hard shoulder

Don't forget to also watch how at 1:15 this psycho gets overtaken by an even more of a psycho
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #198
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

I've had so many times coming home from a party or some evening event going home, at let's say 2200 - 0200 kind of time, and people driving 70 mph in left lane, 60 mph in middle, right lane, empty, totally empty, so I drive 90 mph over there

I think most of the day the distribution is correct but there seems a strange fear in North America of staying in right lane...

at least where I live lane discipline seems to work better when the road is busier (until it gets to inevitable "all lanes stopped"...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think a pronounced difference between Europe and the United States is that semi trucks in Europe generally stay in the rightmost lane unless passing. In the United States it is common for trucks to drive in the middle lanes in urban areas.
Early in my driving days I started staying out of the right lane...no one told me to; it just seemed to make sense, at least in urban and suburban areas on freeways that have at least three lanes each direction...because of frequent on-ramps with traffic entering the freeway. Really, if everyone sticks resolutely to the right lane when there are three or four, aren't you making life harder for people who are trying to enter the freeway?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #199
Road_UK
BANNED

No. Merging traffic has to give way anyway, and traffic on the main carriageway can always shift one lane to let large quantities of traffic merge.
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #200
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So your idea of how a freeway with four lanes each way, through an urban area with lots of on ramps, should look is three empty lanes, an uninterrupted flow in the right lane, and entering traffic waiting so long to enter that they're causing backups on the local streets.... (And when someone does get impatient and cut it too close, that uninterrupted flow in the right lane turns into a 40-vehicle chain reaction collision.)

That's daft.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL