daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #21
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
yeah that's a problem. but is no so much abolishing the law, as changing it. people today respect 'lane' law only partially. they respect overtaking on the left, but not keeping right.

also on 4x4+ the 'left' rule kinda looses its sense.
It has perfect sense. People hogging in the central lane at, say 120 km/h, force me, traveling in the right lane at 130 km/h, either to overtake them on the right or cutting all three lanes to overtake and then go back in the right lane. Either solution is not very safe...

Last edited by g.spinoza; November 11th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #22
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
In many countries in Europe, especially in the UK, Italy and more and more in Germany, people find it acceptable to keep driving in lane two, regardless whether they're overtaking or not. (..)
I noticed it too. It's hard to believe how driving in Germany differs today and 20 years ago. Looks like lane discipline has been forgotten there.

If it comes to the UK, they probably never cared about the lane discipline, proper merging and leaving motorway. I found a picture which may kind of prove my 'historical' based lack of lane discipline assumptions. I think the main reason for not using motorway properly there, is a poor knowledge of traffic code and the way drivers are taught driving by parents, siblings, neighbours or other incompetent people, who do not know the rules.

Picture captured in late sixties or early seventies in Britain:
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #23
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So it's not just yielding to entering traffic....
Wait a minute. You give way to merging traffic, is that true?
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
I was thinking about the rule where all lanes are equal.
Doesn't that force you to change lanes all the time, if you wanna drive fast? If all lanes were allowed to overtake on, the left lane(s) should remain overtake-only.

As for lane-hogging, it's most annoying in heavy traffic. If you overtake someone only once in a while, you're clearly lane-hogging. When there's low traffic, it's easiest to go back to the right lane, but lane-hogging is also the least annoying (in the middle lane, not leftmost).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #25
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Doesn't that force you to change lanes all the time, if you wanna drive fast?
It appears that's the case in the U.S. on wide freeways. You have to be over all lanes even to maintain the speed limit.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #26
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
(because you should only get out of the right lane when you see that someone wants to merge
Nou, you should NOT. You should STAY in the right lane. It's up to the entering merger to search for his place and adjust his speed to merge before or behind someone, in such a way that no one is being hindered.

Driving in the second lane is simply reducing road capacity, just as making way bij going to the left lane is.

Take a situation with someone driving 100 at the 2nd lane. Two cars approach from behind. One in lane 2 with 120, one in lane 3 with 130 km/h. Two things can happen: the one in lane 2 has to brake because there is som slow idiot in lane 2, and someone is too near in lane 3. Other option is that the car coming from behind in lane 2 switches to lane 3, thus forcing te faster car to brake. All unnecessairy, because if the idiot in lane 2 driving 100 had just kept right, all traffic would have run smoothly without any interference or braking.

So please keep right.

(If you don't and you would encounter me, I will cut you sharp after having overtaken you, and after that showing my right flasher for a very long time to you!)
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #27
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Nou, you should NOT. You should STAY in the right lane. It's up to the entering merger to search for his place and adjust his speed to merge before or behind someone, in such a way that no one is being hindered.
It is not always possible, because of short ramps, for example. A little bit co-operation and flexibility, please.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #28
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
You may be technically right. Yet, it is good driving behaviour and probably better for everyone to make way for merging vehicles by changing the lane if possible.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #29
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1769

ALWAYS assume there will be someone faster you wanting to overtake you when you are not overtaking anyone else. This way you are not forcing other drivers to change lanes, or you are not constantly checking the rear-view mirror.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #30
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I move over to let people in, especially if a short ramp would force them to stop otherwise, it doesn't cost me anything to do so
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #31
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^that's the rule
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #32
Verso
Islander

Quote:
All unnecessairy, because if the idiot in lane 2 driving 100 had just kept right, all traffic would have run smoothly without any interference or braking.
Except that you forgot something: the "idiot" has to brake, if someone is merging with 80 km/h. That of course doesn't mean he can just move left without watching, if anyone is approaching.
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #33
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Thats how we roll in Slovenia

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #34
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Thats how we roll in Slovenia
Do you realize the language spoken in the video is Russian? Oh, and where in Slovenia do we have such a wide road?
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #35
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Do you realize the language spoken in the video is Russian? Oh, and where in Slovenia do we have such a wide road?
It was a joke, but now you ruined it, this guys here dont know the difference between slovenian and russian language i assume (except slavic forumers) but ok what is done is done

Well we dont have such a wide road thats for sure but driving style is very similar in general i can say that we slovenians are bad drivers
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #36
Verso
Islander

You'd just ruin our image with that video. Our drivers are bad, but I've never seen anything like that here.
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #37
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1318

Nice vocabulary @ that video.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #38
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

speaking of realizing, Verso do you realize your avatar doesn't work anymore?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #39
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Yes, you should. Different places have different rules, and where I live the law states that it is a mutual effort, hence none of the vehicles have right of way. If I see an entering merger I change to the left lane, allow him to merge and then change back.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #40
Verso
Islander

Quote:
speaking of realizing, Verso do you realize your avatar doesn't work anymore?
I'm not the only one. It'll probably be back soon. Do you realize you're OT?