daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #41
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
^that's the rule
No it's not.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #42
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'm not the only one. It'll probably be back soon. Do you realize you're OT?
yes. this forum is becoming more and more OT anyway. I was just looking trough old forum pages. those were the times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No it's not.
I was thought so when passing driving licence. maybe this rule doesn't apply to UK registered vans.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #43
Road_UK
BANNED

???
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #44
hofburg
middle lane hogger

are we talking about the same rule? that if you see vehicles joining the motorway you move to the left if the left lane is empty?
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #45
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
are we talking about the same rule? that if you see vehicles joining the motorway you move to the left if the left lane is empty?
Yes, we are talking about the same rule, and merging traffic onto the main carriageway do not have the right of way. Ever! They need to let all traffic pass. Of course, out of politeness, if possible, you move a lane or slow down to let them in, but this is not obligatory.
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #46
hofburg
middle lane hogger

ok then, politeness.

(except Paris peripherique, there merging vehicles have a right )
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #47
Road_UK
BANNED

No they don't. They make themselves give the right, but the signs are still there. Does Cedez le passage ring a bell?
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #48
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I hate people not keeping to the right, will often make a point by overtaking them on the right and aggressively moving into their lane afterwards or giving them the angry look ''wtf are you doing driving there blocking traffic ?''.

If I was a traffic cop, I'd be fining people not keeping to the right all day long. There are moments on the A12 between Gouda and Utrecht, the most right lane is completely free with all traffic in the 3 left lanes, it's ridiculous imho, **** off to the right! I usually end up driving faster in lane 1 than people in lane 4... ( where lane 1 is the right lane and lane 4 the most left lane).

Not keeping to the right = blocking traffic in my book... Since overtaking on the right is illegal...And if there is 1 thing anti social in traffic, it it to purposely block someone else's progress imho. I can't remember myself blocking anyone access ever on purpose, but some people do it all the time.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #49
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No they don't. They make themselves give the right, but the signs are still there. Does Cedez le passage ring a bell?
Quote:
Due to the road's legal status, circulating traffic yields priority to entering vehicles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouleva...iph%C3%A9rique

Traffic from the right has priority.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #50
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Yes, you should. Different places have different rules, and where I live the law states that it is a mutual effort, hence none of the vehicles have right of way. If I see an entering merger I change to the left lane, allow him to merge and then change back
American rule states that those already on the freeway/limited access highway have the right-of-way, while those on the ramp entering on to the freeway must yield right-of-way. however, those on already on the freeway can show common courtesy and move over, slow down, OR what i do speed up if and or when possible.
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #51
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I'm baaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Wait a minute. You give way to merging traffic, is that true?
I'm not talking about priorité à droite, but letting people in if they're a bit ahead of me. It's not a rule, but good manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It appears that's the case in the U.S. on wide freeways. You have to be over all lanes even to maintain the speed limit.
Chris, I've asked you this before and you haven't answered: have you ever driven (or even been) in North America?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #52
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Nou, you should NOT. You should STAY in the right lane. It's up to the entering merger to search for his place and adjust his speed to merge before or behind someone, in such a way that no one is being hindered.

Driving in the second lane is simply reducing road capacity, just as making way bij going to the left lane is.

Take a situation with someone driving 100 at the 2nd lane. Two cars approach from behind. One in lane 2 with 120, one in lane 3 with 130 km/h. Two things can happen: the one in lane 2 has to brake because there is som slow idiot in lane 2, and someone is too near in lane 3. Other option is that the car coming from behind in lane 2 switches to lane 3, thus forcing te faster car to brake. All unnecessairy, because if the idiot in lane 2 driving 100 had just kept right, all traffic would have run smoothly without any interference or braking.

So please keep right.

(If you don't and you would encounter me, I will cut you sharp after having overtaken you, and after that showing my right flasher for a very long time to you!)
Can you please restate that, talking of slow, middle and fast lanes rather than numbering them? I don't know which is meant to be 1....

Please also note that I've said - more than once - that I'm assuming the people in the middle lane are moving a bit faster than the people in the right lane.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #53
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I hate people not keeping to the right, will often make a point by overtaking them on the right and aggressively moving into their lane afterwards or giving them the angry look ''wtf are you doing driving there blocking traffic ?''.
And after that, you have the nerve to call anyone else antisocial?

It is not your place to enforce traffic rules (especially only enforcing the ones you like). Passing on the right and giving rude gestures is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a line of Americans in the next-to-right lane, when there's another lane (or more*) available for passing, traveling 10 mph faster than the people to their right.

Actually, being the only one on the road obeying the European rule falls in the same field of arguably creating danger by being the only one following rules no one else is. Another example would be resolutely sticking to the speed limit in the passing lane. (While ignoring the fact that it's a passing lane.)

Maybe it comes down to local custom. Americans given three or more lanes distribute themselves across them, slowest traffic to the right, fastest to the left. Because I sure as hell can't see any self-evident logic to the only-use-one-lane-when-there-are-three-or-more-available rule. (And if, say, 50 cars are in the same one-mile stretch of three-lane freeway at a given moment, doesn't having them spread across two lanes, with the fast cars in the passing lane being outliers, make 50-car pileups less likely when one of them needs to stop suddenly than if they're all tailgating each other?)

Local custom. Sort of like bike helmets in Holland. ;-)

*I was paying attention to lane counts on my drive to Mom's. There are places on 95 in Philadelphia where there are four lanes each direction. Treating three of those four as for-passing-only would be absurd.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #54
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

It is not your place to enforce traffic rules (especially only enforcing the ones you like). Passing on the right and giving rude gestures is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a line of Americans in the next-to-right lane
It's not about the rules/laws. It's about 1 person blocking someone else's progress unnecessarily. I don't block anyone's progress or affect their journey in any negative way with what I do. They do, they cost not only me, but everyone stuck behind them, time and thus money...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #55
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Welcome to my ignore list.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #56
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:

It is not your place to enforce traffic rules (especially only enforcing the ones you like). Passing on the right and giving rude gestures is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a line of Americans in the next-to-right lane,
In Italy it is possible to do so, and in fact I do that all the time (without the aggressive thing etc etc). They allow passing on the right because so many people drive in the middle lane...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #57
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Welcome to my ignore list.
Good idea. I'll put him on mine as well.
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #58
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I think in the US it's not so much a problem that there're plenty of drivers lane-hogging in middle lanes, but even the leftmost lane, which is unheard of in Europe particularly on wide motorways. In America it seems to be the other way around, drivers drive better on 4-lane motorways (2 lanes each direction).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #59
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

From Pennsylvania's traffic regulations...

Quote:
THE VEHICLE CODE (TITLE 75)

PART III. OPERATION OF VEHICLES

CHAPTER 33. RULES OF THE ROAD IN GENERAL

Subchapter A - General Provisions.

§ 3313. Restrictions on use of limited access highways.

(d) Driving in right lane.--

1. Except as provided in paragraph (2) and unless otherwise posted, upon all limited access highways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lanes when available for traffic except when any of the following conditions exist:
i. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction,
ii. When traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow.
iii. When moving left to allow traffic to merge.
iv. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #60
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

No real lane discipline rules in CT, US. But it works out fine most of the time as people follow other's people behavior usually. China is far worse with people driving however they like on any road and with any type of vehicle.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote