daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #61
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
From Pennsylvania's traffic regulations...
Note it says "shall be driven in the right-hand lanes." Plural.
Actually, I was rooting around on American sites yesterday evening to figure out what the law actually is, and it's hard to tell. At least in the specific situation that prompted me to open this thread: a freeway with more than two lanes each way where everyone's in the right lane. It is not at all self-evident to me that that's the best way to use three (or more) lanes. I am 100% in agreement with our European friends that you should pass on the left (right, in the British Isles, etc.) and will admit that way too many Americans seem to be unaware of that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #62
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I am 100% in agreement with our European friends that you should pass on the left (right, in the British Isles, etc.) and will admit that way too many Americans seem to be unaware of that.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #63
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

:-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #64
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Note it says "shall be driven in the right-hand lanes." Plural.
Actually, I was rooting around on American sites yesterday evening to figure out what the law actually is, and it's hard to tell. At least in the specific situation that prompted me to open this thread: a freeway with more than two lanes each way where everyone's in the right lane. It is not at all self-evident to me that that's the best way to use three (or more) lanes. I am 100% in agreement with our European friends that you should pass on the left (right, in the British Isles, etc.) and will admit that way too many Americans seem to be unaware of that.
I think there are differences in legislation across countries, because of conditions vary heavily.

For example, the Finnish rules for motorways are rather simple:

- The "drive right overtake left" principle is the base rule
- No U-turns, no backing up, no parking, no stopping
- If there are more than two lanes per direction, trucks and any combinations longer than 7 metres must use the two rightmost lanes only
- Overtaking on the right is allowed if the left lane is congested, if the right lane is signed to branch, or if the right lane is a bus lane and the vehicle is using it legally
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #65
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

You just can't apply European lane discipline in the US. But as long as I drive in Europe, I keep to the rightmost lane as long as I can. There are obiously situations where this isn't possible, for example when the right lane is full of trucks or there are too many junctions.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #66
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
You just can't apply European lane discipline in the US. But as long as I drive in Europe, I keep to the rightmost lane as long as I can. There are obiously situations where this isn't possible, for example when the right lane is full of trucks or there are too many junctions.
If the right-hand lane is full of trucks, you overtake them, right? So the keep right unless overtaking rule still applies nevertheless.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #67
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1769

If there is no traffic slower than you on your right (left in the UK), then there shouldn't be any traffic on your right at all (cue you should be in the right-most lane). If there is traffic faster than you on your right then YOU ARE IN THE WRONG LANE!
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #68
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
If there is no traffic slower than you on your right (left in the UK), then there shouldn't be any traffic on your right at all (cue you should be in the right-most lane). If there is traffic faster than you on your right then YOU ARE IN THE WRONG LANE!
Exactly .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #69
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
If the right-hand lane is full of trucks, you overtake them, right? So the keep right unless overtaking rule still applies nevertheless.
Definitely.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #70
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Spanish way of life...

[IMG]http://i47.************/1zyxaxg.jpg[/IMG]
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #71
Road_UK
BANNED

Too many people are under the assumption that it's difficult to keep to the right, when the right-hand lane is full of trucks. That doesn't matter, because if you are moving faster then trucks, it is alright to use overtaking lanes to overtake them. You can stay on these lanes until the far right lane becomes clear again.
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #72
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Too many people are under the assumption that it's difficult to keep to the right, when the right-hand lane is full of trucks. That doesn't matter, because if you are moving faster then trucks, it is alright to use overtaking lanes to overtake them. You can stay on these lanes until the far right lane becomes clear again.
Ah but I might hit a queue of slow moving trucks in *just* 15 minutes and will have to move out AGAIN!
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #73
Road_UK
BANNED

Oh dear LOL
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #74
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriaca View Post
Spanish way of life...
I drove in Spain last year and was amazed by the good behaviour of Spanish drivers in motorways. Inside cities I was amazed by their aggressiveness
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #75
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Spain is very big... Near Madrid is very common to find bad drivers.

What cities did you visited last year?
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #76
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriaca View Post

Spain is very big... Near Madrid is very common to find bad drivers.

What cities did you visited last year?
I drove inside Granada (worst drivers of all), Cadiz, Sevilla, Cordoba, La Linea de la Concepcion, Algeciras, Marbella. I drove in motorways all over Andalucia (you can see that in my signature).

Last edited by g.spinoza; November 15th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #77
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3709

There should be a big public awareness program to address bad lane discipline and encourage the cops to enforce it.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #78
Motorways

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I drove in Spain last year and was amazed by the good behaviour of Spanish drivers in motorways. Inside cities I was amazed by their aggressiveness

as a spaniard i do agree here with you. In general terms driving behavioùr oǹ the highways and motorways has improved a lot in the last years reaching quite a fair standard, there will be always a few exceptions, but in general terms driving outside cities is quite good.

On the other hand, city driving is not that good yet, and the deeper you go to the south the worse it gets. That's expecially shameful for me to reckon as i am also from the south, but in general terms driving in cities suchs as Seville,or smallers ones as Granada or Cadiz is way too agressive.

Last edited by Motorways; November 15th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Motorways no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #79
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

image hosted on flickr

A28 Zeist-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #80
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

What's the red Citroën Picasso doing.

In general, lane discipline in the Netherlands is good, especially on multi-lane motorways. I tend to agree that on 2-lane motorways German discipline is slightly better, because people revert to the slow lane as soon as possible due to the speed differences on the overtaking lane.

It's not perfect in the Netherlands on multi-lane motorways, but better than in surrounding countries.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote