daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #121
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

if there is a 2x4, that means huge traffic, so the rightmost lane is probably loaded with trucs, so you are at least on lane 2 all the time anyway. but yes, in theory, keep right whatever speed

but no one keeps right on some specific urban motorways. A4 in Paris, when it is 2x5, all lanes are equal.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #122
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Exactly. But what I wanna say is that if there's a truck to overtake every minute, you'll go back to the right lane on 2×2, but you'll keep driving on 2×4. On 2×3 it's not so easy to say, but I try to go back to the rightmost lane, if it doesn't become too much of a hassle.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #123
hofburg
middle lane hogger

yeah, all depends on the density of the right lane.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #124
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
if there is a 2x4, that means huge traffic, so the rightmost lane is probably loaded with trucs, so you are at least on lane 2 all the time anyway. but yes, in theory, keep right whatever speed (..)
Hmmm....

Any justification for those who do not keep to the the left?

I had to make a detour from lane 1 through lane 3 to get back to the lane 1. Why?

Blue A6!

Last edited by piotr71; November 18th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #125
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I wouldn't have bothered. Is that the M6Toll/M42 interchange?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #126
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Hmmm....

Any justification for those who do not keep to the the left?
of course not
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #127
piotr71

M1, Hemel Hempsted.
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #128
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Blue A6!
What's a blue A6?

-----

Now, on the topic at hand, I've decided that it must be a cultural difference. Reserving three lanes out of four for passing on roads like the one pictured, and constantly weaving in and out of the one permissible driving lane, makes sense to Europeans. And when I drive there, I promise to behave accordingly. No matter how daft it seems to me. Europeans driving here should likewise adjust, to sensible lane use. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #129
Road_UK
BANNED

1000's of Americans who are using the motorways around Kaiserslautern in Germany everyday seem to have adapted well...
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #130
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm glad to hear it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #131
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What's a blue A6?
Blue car on lane 3 (Audi A6). It should not be there.

Quote:
Now, on the topic at hand, I've decided that it must be a cultural difference. Reserving three lanes out of four for passing on roads like the one pictured, and constantly weaving in and out of the one permissible driving lane, makes sense to Europeans.(..)
Actually, most of continental Europeans. British do not mind keep to the right at any time for no obvious reason.
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #132
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I thought you meant route A6 and that it was marked in blue (either by mistake or because it's an A6(M))! But I wasn't seeing any such markings.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #133
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

From the UK thread, where there's been an outbreak of Continental lane-discipline fetishism. :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I honestly don't see the point of closing lanes off peak. Going further, should we close third lane on 3-lane motorways at night? There would be enough capacity on 2 lanes at night.
Do it just because some people don't stick to the left? It doesn't make any sense. This is not the best way do educate drivers.
Quote:
See my Lane Discipline thread. :-)

(Briefly...if anyone wants to go on with it, they can do it there...I don't see what is wrong with traffic distributing itself according to speed across all lanes but the one closest to the center of the road on freeways with three or more lanes each way. The idea that, if there are four lanes in a given direction, three are for passing only seems just barmy to me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
That's because it is barmy. The rule was invented when no roads had more than 2 lanes in any direction.
Quote:
I'm not sure why one of the so-called passing lanes has a "slow" in it.

[EDIT, I picked up the wrong two pics, but you get the point....]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #134
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

But that's an urban road with lots of driveway accesses and on/off-ramps, so it's most probably not possible to stick to the leftmost lane if you're not turning off the road or merging to it. So it is wise to slow down when driving on that lane.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but in Spanish urban, non-motorway roads (this includes roads going through villages or industrial parks), you may drive on the lane you wish and overtake on both the left and the right.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #135
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:

I'm not sure why one of the so-called passing lanes has a "slow" in it.

[EDIT, I picked up the wrong two pics, but you get the point....]
It's standardish in the UK and Ireland to do so before a lot of things which might make people who are probably going too fast to slow down like a bend or something. Ireland also has 'very slow' and 'dead slow'.

The North Circular road is too busy and urban for intercity motorway lane discipline really anyway, parts of it are a normal 30mph single carriageway.

And to be honest, I can understand why people are complaining about lane discipline around London (which is worse than in the rest of the UK) but everyone drives like that around here. If I was half way up the M1 I might go around the blue A6 but on the M25 I would just undertake it, especially in the M25's wider and busier sections. I don't really think that it's possible to apply lane discipline in a city the size of London, it's to busy and there are too many exits for anyone to be arsed to do so. If it's not busy then I'll stick to the left (in fact I do most of the time) but if it's busy I won't, there's not much point. I understand that there's no justification sometimes, but most people in London don't care, and this probably applies to most if not all other major cities.

Perhaps I wouldn't undertake all the cars in the picture with several cars in the distance in the second to left lane but the blue A6 I would have. Not going 3 lanes across the M25 to overtake a car.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; November 26th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #136
piotr71

At last!

Quote:
People who "hog" the middle lane on the motorway could now be fined £100 and given points on their licence. But why is staying in the middle lane a bad thing?

Middle-lane "hogging" has gone on for years. It's common to see a situation where the left-hand lane is relatively empty but cars are still sitting in the middle lane instead of just using it for overtaking.

Part 264 of the Highway Code says: "You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past."

The Highways Agency tried signs in 2004 urging people to keep left but the problem has not been solved.
Quote:
Now the government has outlined its latest attempt to tackle this seemingly perennial problem. People who hog the middle lane will be subject to spot fines of £100 and points on their licence.
More.
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #137
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes! Finally!
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #138
piotr71

Might be interesting:

Verso liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #139
hofburg
middle lane hogger

^old. also, british and their teeth
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #140
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Just drove from Arlanda to Örebro via Eskilstuna. On my way through Stockholm, I noticed that Swedish drivers can't drive when there's more than two lanes in each direction. I was in the rightmost lane for 20 km and it was the fastest lane. However, on 2+2 motorways, almost everyone keeps to the right.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote