daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #141
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

but in urban areas all lanes are equal on the streets.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #142
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
but in urban areas all lanes are equal on the streets.
No not always. Depends where you are.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #143
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

I still prefer, if people don't drive below the speed limit on the left lane.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #144
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

What do you actually prefer, Verso?
__________________
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #145
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

^ What do you mean? I'm saying that the left lane should be seen as overtaking in cities as well, although not as strictly as outside cities (meaning you don't have to go back to the right lane when you overtake someone, but don't drive slowly).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #146
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

Sorry, I got confused with that left lane you mentioned. Just too much time spent in a country, where people are pretty certain about superiority of the left hand side traffic over the side of the road we drive in Continental Europe.
__________________
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #147
Nils de Gothia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Just drove from Arlanda to Örebro via Eskilstuna. On my way through Stockholm, I noticed that Swedish drivers can't drive when there's more than two lanes in each direction. I was in the rightmost lane for 20 km and it was the fastest lane. However, on 2+2 motorways, almost everyone keeps to the right.
Not just in Sweden. I live in the the Czech Republic, every time I travel to the Wechsel area to ski, the rightmost lane is the speed lane. I am regularly able to use the rightmost lane at 130km/h, 4+4 Wien-Guntramsdorf. No passing needed. Not to the left I mean. As I am keeping my lane, this kind of driving cannot be considered as overtaking. I case of fining I´d argue that what I did was not an overtaking by definition, only a passing by. And should I be fined, should this be an overtaking by definition, then the vehicles using 50 or 75% of the motorway must be just as punished. An overtaking meneuvre from lane 1 to 3 or even 1 to 4, provoked by such reckless drivers, is much more dangerous. Also, drivers who dont know the constituton of right-hand traffic (keeping right) are to be excempt from the so called Vertrauensgrundsatz. That means that every driver has to expect every other driver to follow the general rules of traffic. If somebody does not so, he coud basically do any crazy thing anywhere, and you have to choose the safest way to pass this ureliable driver.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #148
sirfreelancealot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 398
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ What do you mean? I'm saying that the left lane should be seen as overtaking in cities as well, although not as strictly as outside cities (meaning you don't have to go back to the right lane when you overtake someone, but don't drive slowly).
In the UK the Highway Code says that passing either side is permitted on one-way streets, as the keep left rule does not apply on them.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #149
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

It's the same here.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #150
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again
 
KingNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,039
Likes (Received): 8714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils de Gothia View Post
Not just in Sweden. I live in the the Czech Republic, every time I travel to the Wechsel area to ski, the rightmost lane is the speed lane. I am regularly able to use the rightmost lane at 130km/h, 4+4 Wien-Guntramsdorf. No passing needed. Not to the left I mean. As I am keeping my lane, this kind of driving cannot be considered as overtaking. I case of fining I´d argue that what I did was not an overtaking by definition, only a passing by. And should I be fined, should this be an overtaking by definition, then the vehicles using 50 or 75% of the motorway must be just as punished. An overtaking meneuvre from lane 1 to 3 or even 1 to 4, provoked by such reckless drivers, is much more dangerous. Also, drivers who dont know the constituton of right-hand traffic (keeping right) are to be excempt from the so called Vertrauensgrundsatz. That means that every driver has to expect every other driver to follow the general rules of traffic. If somebody does not so, he coud basically do any crazy thing anywhere, and you have to choose the safest way to pass this ureliable driver.
This not considered overtaking under Austrian traffic law, so you'll be fine.
__________________
Europa per gli europei
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #151
Blackraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Makati (in the Philippines)
Posts: 2,294
Likes (Received): 234

Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Is it a universal custom that:

Inner most lane is for overtaking and faster vehicles
while
Outer lane(s) is for slower vehicles

?

P.S.
By the way:
More than 90% of Philippine drivers have ZERO lane discipline

Heck, some drivers even stay in the middle of two lanes..........as if they think that lanes don't exist
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #152
Nils de Gothia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Is it a universal custom that:

Inner most lane is for overtaking and faster vehicles
while
Outer lane(s) is for slower vehicles
If there is enough space in the outer lane, this is the lane that should be used. What are slower vehicles? What are faster vehicles? If the outermost lane is busy enough, "slower" vehicles are indeed allowed to make use of further lanes. But using inner lanes despite having enough space in the outer lane de facto means using two (or more) lanes, regardless of speed. A nasty habit.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #153
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Is it a universal custom that:

Inner most lane is for overtaking and faster vehicles
while
Outer lane(s) is for slower vehicles
By law: Keep to the right unless overtaking...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #154
Morsue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 1,282
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Just drove from Arlanda to Örebro via Eskilstuna. On my way through Stockholm, I noticed that Swedish drivers can't drive when there's more than two lanes in each direction. I was in the rightmost lane for 20 km and it was the fastest lane. However, on 2+2 motorways, almost everyone keeps to the right.
In Sweden, on roads with a 70 kph speed limit or lower, you are allowed to stay in the lane which suits your planned itinerary the best. That includes much of the passage through Stockholm. Passing on the right in other circumstances is illegal.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #155
Nils de Gothia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
In Sweden, on roads with a 70 kph speed limit or lower, you are allowed to stay in the lane which suits your planned itinerary the best. That includes much of the passage through Stockholm. Passing on the right in other circumstances is illegal.
...which in the latter case makes it just as illegal to use two ore more lanes just for your own, which is what you are doing when you e.g. choose the middle lane just out of lazyness. Overtaking (omkörning) to right is illegal, yes. Passing by (att passera) not. Passing by an obstacle continuously using the middle lane for no obvious reason is not to consider as overtaking by definition. Unless you drive "slalom", that is.
__________________

Vignole liked this post
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #156
Morsue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 1,282
Likes (Received): 46

I agree that these lazy people who use the middle lane when the right lane is empty should be penalized, as they are in Germany. But I think, without being able to prove it, that passing (just like overtaking) is considered illegal except in congested traffic.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #157
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

Some more (as I am aware of Daniel and Road_Uk posts in another thread) about new law in Britain.

Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines in force

Quote:
Among the offences police are expected to focus on are:

• Driving too close to the vehicle in front

• Failing to give way at a junction (not requiring evasive action by another driver)

• Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic

• Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout

• Lane discipline, such as needlessly hogging the middle or outside lanes

• Inappropriate speed

• Wheel-spins, handbrake turns and other careless manoeuvres
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732
__________________
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #158
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,457
Likes (Received): 2185

I like that new British law. Some of the manoeuvres above (especially tailgating and pushing into a queue after overtaking) are quite dangerous, more than a little speeding on an empty road, but virtually never punished.
The problem of fining for tailgating is that you cannot measure on the spot the distance between two vehicles and that the "safe distance" varies directly proportionally with the speed.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; August 17th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #159
verreme
Registered User
 
verreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,392
Likes (Received): 645

A distance too short is clearly visible. You don't need measuring equipment to realize that one car is too close to the next one, and the police don't need it either.
__________________
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #160
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,457
Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
A distance too short is clearly visible. You don't need measuring equipment to realize that one car is too close to the next one, and the police don't need it either.
Yes, but fines involving arbitrary valutations are easily disputable in court.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium