daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #161
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, but fines involving arbitrary valutations are easily disputable in court.
In my country, if there's no measuring equipment the police are always right in court. So if they say you were driving too close to the car in front of you, there's no way to prove them wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #162
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
In my country, if there's no measuring equipment the police are always right in court. So if they say you were driving too close to the car in front of you, there's no way to prove them wrong.
It's not the case of Italy, where many people go to the court ("Giudice di Pace", "Peace Judge", a court that usually solves petty controversies like disputes between neighbours) to protest against a fine because regarded unfair. And if you can prove that you was fined for breaking a rule that wasn't clear signposted (ambiguous or missing road signs and no general rule that forbid it), you may win.

The fine for "guida pericolosa" (reckless driving) is one of the most commonly disputed, because, unlikely speeding, parking violations, forbidden overtaking, etc... it's not objectively determinable but it depend by the subjective valutation of the cop.

The art. 141 Codice della Strada says that drivers must regulate their speed according to traffic conditions, road conditions, weather, visibility, etc... So if you drive at 40kph on a narrow urban alley full of pedestrians (general s.l. 50) or at 80kph on a snowy country road (general s.l. 90) you can get a ticket for reckless driving b\c your speed, albeit below the posted speed limit, isn't appropriate to the conditions. Useless to say that isn't easy to determine who respect that rule and who doesn't and there are many borderline situations where a fine can be debateable.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #163
Kirov88
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Yes, but fines involving arbitrary valutations are easily disputable in court.
You can easily validate it with the camera in the police car.
Kirov88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #164
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
It's not the case of Italy, where many people go to the court ("Giudice di Pace", "Peace Judge", a court that usually solves petty controversies like disputes between neighbours) to protest against a fine because regarded unfair. And if you can prove that you was fined for breaking a rule that wasn't clear signposted (ambiguous or missing road signs and no general rule that forbid it), you may win.

The fine for "guida pericolosa" (reckless driving) is one of the most commonly disputed, because, unlikely speeding, parking violations, forbidden overtaking, etc... it's not objectively determinable but it depend by the subjective valutation of the cop.

The art. 141 Codice della Strada says that drivers must regulate their speed according to traffic conditions, road conditions, weather, visibility, etc... So if you drive at 40kph on a narrow urban alley full of pedestrians (general s.l. 50) or at 80kph on a snowy country road (general s.l. 90) you can get a ticket for reckless driving b\c your speed, albeit below the posted speed limit, isn't appropriate to the conditions. Useless to say that isn't easy to determine who respect that rule and who doesn't and there are many borderline situations where a fine can be debateable.
I didn't know that. In Spain, policemen are always right, so there's no way to dispute their decision.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #165
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I didn't know that. In Spain, policemen are always right, so there's no way to dispute their decision.
Way too much power.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #166
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post

Way too much power.
What is it like in Bella Italia? Can you argue with a police officer?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #167
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What is it like in Bella Italia? Can you argue with a police officer?
Of course you can, they're not gods. But as italystf said you can challenge their decisions in court, and you can win.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #168
Road_UK
BANNED

Ok. German police officers for example think they're gods. You can say anything to a UK officer... They're there to provide you a service.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #169
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I've never been stopped by police while I was living in Germany, so I have no experience in that sense. And that's odd, because I heard they have a thing for Italian-plated cars
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #170
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I mean that you can challenge a fine in court but if you use a rude language towards a cop you can be arrested for "oltraggio a pubblico officiale" (outrage towards a member of a police force).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #171
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

And you can challenge that in court, too.
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #172
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I've never been stopped by police while I was living in Germany, so I have no experience in that sense. And that's odd, because I heard they have a thing for Italian-plated cars
... And British plates. (as well as easter European). They've pulled me over loads of times. They're usually out here in unmarked cars at Rosenheim, where the motorways from Innsbruck and Salzburg come together. I do see a lot of Italians being pulled over.
You cannot argue with Germans, they're always right anyway. Arguing with French law enforcement officers is fun. At least they'll do their best to explain themselves, and it'll always end up in shaking hands after. I love the French
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #173
Road_UK
BANNED

I've been stopped by the Italian police once. And they fined me for driving my 7.5 metre van in Portofino, where only 7 metres is allowed. 70 euro on the spot fine. I told them what I thought of them, and I got away with it. Got banned here last week for a lesser offence

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:51 PM   #174
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20288

Quote:
You can say anything to a UK officer....
Within reason.

They are not going to appreciate it if you are aggressive or hurl insults at them!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM   #175
Road_UK
BANNED

Of course not...
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #176
piotr71

"Class I Lane hogger"

I filmed this video couple of days ago on M1 near Luton. I posted it in real speed so it might be a little boring, however, it shows highest possible level of ignorance for one of the most basic traffic rule (we all know what rule I mean) It's, with no doubts, "class I lane hogging", sadly it's not anything I would have called exeptional, I've seen many truckers driving like here.

Music track will be added soon.
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #177
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Genuinely can't stand people that lane hog and there arguments too.

"i'am doing the speed limit so I don't need to move into the 'slow' lane"

How do you even know you are going the speed limit?
Your speedometer could say your doing 70mph (113km/h) but you're actually only doing 68mph (109km/h) then someone who thinks there doing the speed limit comes behind you and is actually doing 73mph (117km/h). That's a difference of 5mph (8km/h). So why should you get to use lanes 2,3,4 ect when you're not even overtaking?

We spend billions of pounds widening motorways only to have people sit in the overtaking lanes meaning no one can overtake you. Ok ill admit that it can be hard on some urban motorways like the M8 where the exit is on the outside but apart from that you should be using the inside lane when the road ahead is clear and only use the other lanes if you need to overtake then move straight back in. Don't see what's so difficult about this.

Road_UK liked this post
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #178
Road_UK
BANNED

People are lazy. More and more people can't even be bothered to indicate anymore...
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #179
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Oy. Who started this thread?

Oh, right....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #180
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
People are lazy. More and more people can't even be bothered to indicate anymore...
Tbh I don't mind if people don't indicate when there moving back into the left or right because it should be an extremely obvious manoeuvre but if your moving out to overtake then you should definitely indicate because that can be much less obvious manoeuvre.
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote