daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

GAZIANTEP | Public Transport

Opening of new tramway system in small Turkish cities continues. After Konya, Eskisehir, Antalya, Kayseri & Samsun, another city joins in this list – Gaziantep.

Unlike Eskisehirm Kayseri & Samsun, Gaziantep uses 2nd hand German tramcars as rolling stock, like Konya & Antalya.

Gaziantep’s tram runs in 2 routes, and 1 route is under construction. It has many modern specifications like any modern tram network. Although the rolling stock is second hand, but due to high maintenance, it shines, and looks like a modern network.

The map

& photo.

POST AS MANY AS PHOTOS OF GAZIANTEP TRAM HERE.

Thanks to Turkey for new tramways.

n20, iği liked this post

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; December 12th, 2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: updating request from a friend
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Ashis Mitra

I couldn’t find any official website. Is there any such about tram?
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Ashis Mitra

Is there any plan to expand the tram network? If yes please write details with a complete map.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Ashis Mitra

Why Gaziantep chose 2nd hand stocks from Germany like Konya & Antalya? Is it a poor town?
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 28498

Its the Turkish section for this trams: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1013011&page=3

3rd phase is going to be contracted on 9th of January.

I think the stocks are so nice and a friend from Turkish forum used them few weeks ago and he says they look like new.
They are cheap and useful after renovation.

I couldn't find a proper map.

K. Atatürk
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Why Gaziantep chose 2nd hand stocks from Germany like Konya & Antalya? Is it a poor town?

Antalya has chosen Spanish CAF's for its LRT system. They use old German stock for the touristic tram to give it a "historic" look. It's more a touristic short line along the coast.

These are the new CAF's.

Regarding Konya, the city has built its tramway line in the 80's. Those days I can imagine that the city was too poor to purchase new rolling stock. Konya has purchased 60 new trams by Skoda.

Gaziantep has a different policy. They use second hand stock but therefore they expand their network very fast. They have begun already with the third phase of the project.
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Ashis Mitra

Really? Then please inform the current extended routes. Also try to post a complete map with future routes.

Please try to answer these -
1) Reserved or unreserved, - which type of track layout is common in Gaziantep tramway network?
2) Which is the busiest tram terminus?
3) Where is/are the depot(s) of the tramway network?
4) Is the green trackbed real grass? Or velvet paper, I think later.
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Please, we all live in Istanbul, almost as far from Antep as you. I have seen and used the Antep tram only once. The only one I can easily answer is the gras question. Yes, it is fake. See the pictures at http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/fore...90#msg-5328890
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #9
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I also thought it might be fake grass when I saw the video. Now that it was confirmed I am really disappointed. Why on earth would anyone do that? Where's the point in that?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #10
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

very disappointing indeed....
intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Ashis Mitra

Really, such fakeness is a lot of shame.

However, the buffer is most modern, we can't imagine it in Kolkata.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #12
iği
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1083

Well,I'm from Gaziantep and I gonna try to answer the question as far as I can and pardon my English.Thanks for the thread!

First of all,the city of Gaziantep reached 1,5million urban population this year and the city has one of the highest population growth rate in Turkey.Tram lines are completely funded by the local municipality,no funding received from central government,so city tried to keep it cheap in order to expand the tram lines in other parts of the city in short period of time.It seems the plan worked very well,the tram lines cost less then half of it's normal price.It's not exactly about poorness,let's say Gaziantep city is a bit peculiar about bargain stuff.The city known by it's entrepreneur characteristics,most of industry and commerce of the city established by the locals without that much external help.City has dynamic industrial zones with growing export amount.Well,

And you may want to update your first post,since second line is now operational.New line connects the University and newly developed Karataş neighboorhood which is kinda distant from the city and contains a lot of population.

Map of new lane(blue):

Here is the answers:

1-)There's two tram lines are operational and intersects right in front of the gate of the university.Second line is more like the extention of the first line since there's only one more tram stop available if tram doesn't turn to the second line and go straight.They intersect on the stop named 'Gaziantep Üniversitesi' (Gaziantep University).

Tram at the university stop,on the newly constructed underpass.

2-)After opening of the second line I can say 'Karataş' stop and '25 Aralık' stop has a lot of crowd.There's a big shopping mall,hospitals,parks on the '25 Aralık' stop,crowd in the 'Karataş' is mostly by commuters who want to go to the city center from their distant neighborhood and University students commuting between university and their homes.'University' stop is indeed crowded too,the intersection point of the two lanes.

Picture of tram moving to university side and coming from the 'Karataş' neighbourhood which is newly developing site with rapid population increase.

3-)Here's the depots:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.045647...05284&t=h&z=18
Picture from depot:

4-)It's fake grass that looks like as being used in the football fields with fake grass.It has got a grassy texture,no plain paper.Nonetheless me either concerned about it's appearance,they could have simply tile stones instead,making it 'real grass' wouldn't be a good option.It will rapidly increase the consumption of water,and water sources mostly held by the dams around the city and it's precious in the summers because of semi-arid climate.

I can say that the plan of the municipality looks like worked very well.Tram system of Gaziantep can be a perfect example for the other developing countries with tight budget.Renovated trams are no different then a brand new one,no average person would figure out they're renovated from old tram sets if they're not getting informed about that.

3rd step is in-preparation stage right now.It will connect the most wealthy neighborhoods of the city with tram system.The construction planned to start within a few months.There will be 6-7 line in total with over 100km. of tram line.
Also there's a LRT (GaziRay) being planned on the existing railroad passing along the city,connecting the two large industrial district of the city.This planned system will be funded by the government(hopefully).

@Arda,this video is rather old,tram lane is now completely covered by 'fake grass'.

n20 liked this post

Last edited by iği; December 25th, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
iği no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #13
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

I do not see what the issue is with using AstroTurf instead of grass. It still looks nice, and is easier to maintain than grass, considering the climate.
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #14
iği
BANNED

It's generally about the costs for sure.Stone tiling would be more time consuming and expensive considering workforce needed for the proccess. And they simply could've leave it naked concrete,no need to push the budget limits that much though.And yeah,real grass maintenance would be expensive either,that AstroTurf(good to know how people call it) is a realistic one,the ones you can see on the small-scale football fields.Would it be better if they simply spill a layer of gravel instead?
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #15
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

Thank you Igi, perfect report for the city tram. Could you provide some map for the stage 3 of the extension…
Obviously local authorities are very effective. Good luck Antep!
intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #16
iği
BANNED

Thanks man,it's a pleasure for me.

About 3rd stage,it's not really clear but we have some predictions about that.3rd stage will be integrate tram line to the one of the most wealthiest neighborhoods in the city,called İbrahimli district.Contact will be signed at 9th January.There will be 12 more tram sets because of extentions of the lines.

Biggest rumor is the tram line won't go straight by passing though next to the Metro Supermarket.Instead it will go trough some other adjacent street.It's clearly more clever move,since more people can reach the tram in that way,in the other hand it won't be passing though the supermarket which works like local store of the wealthy neighborhoods with over average car owner per household.The point is connection in-between three important places.1-)City center[social recreation areas and business district] 2-)Distant Karataş neighborhood[with enormous population growth] 3-)The University.

Here is predicted route,as you can see 3rd stage marked with bold black line.

BUT,there's something wrong with that map.The tram line won't be go straight as depicted in the map.If you can see the triangular shape at the right side of the starting point of the 3rd stage,there's another road that is only unmarked corner of the triangle.Next route will be pass from that route(as we heard from the mayor).

Horizontal line:Existing 1st stage of tram. Vertical line:3rd stage.

3rd stage ends around somewhere where city is limited by the freeway,and military zone.
Also you can see some other planned stages in the first map.But they're very unclear right now.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #17
iği
BANNED

Hello people. 3th stage tram route is now offical. Here is the route:

Red color is 3th stage ,will start construction in March.
Black one is existing tram line.

At the end of the 3th stage(red colored) tram line is going to be connected with GaziRay banlieue system which is in the planning stage.So it will create a ring in-between the train station and end of the 3th stage.Of course it's not primary intention of the GaziRay system.It will connect Industrial zones to city.
Picture of Gaziantep Tram,starting of the first stage 'train station(gar)':
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Triple C

Likes (Received): 1724

Can anyone draw a simplified drawing (e.g. Transit map) of the curent stage with phases (by different color schemes)? It's still confusing me.
Triple C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Ashis Mitra

Yes, still confusing.
Old August 7th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #20
iği
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple C View Post
Can anyone draw a simplified drawing (e.g. Transit map) of the curent stage with phases (by different color schemes)? It's still confusing me.
Yes sure. Here it is I drew the lines and stations and route of the u/c 3rd Line.

-The stop at the end of the 1st Line is almost obsolote.
-As you can see there's two interaction points where tram and conventional rail becoming too close to each other. Single track conventional rail system is only used for freight trains but there's a planned banlieue system with 140km/h train sets for connecting the city with two large industrial distcrits. This requires rebuilding of the current line with 2 extra lines next to it and so on.

and I compiled some photos from the tram system:

Somewhere around the starting point of 3rd Line.Tiling the rails are started.Unlike previous ones, 3rd line is being built by a foreign company. A Spanish firm is building this line and as far as I know it's their first and only work in Turkey.

3rd line passing trough the İbrahimli Distrcit

Most recent photos. Around the places where 3rd line starting to draw a U-Shape.

All of the roads on the tram route will be completely revamped as happened on the previous lines.

Somewhere around Akkent station,the end point of the 2nd Line. The tram line ending at a place where it used to be in the middle of nowhere only a few years ago.Even the roads are being built after the tram lines itself
Some rapid urban developments are in-progress.

Also there's some news about a new larger tram depot combined with public transport bus garage.Planned location of the new depot is almost a kilometer further the Akkent stop,the end of the 2nd Line.

Tags
tram