daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #61
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
I also visited the Christmas market and despite the rain, really enjoyed it. I finished my lovely evening at Cineworld watching Breaking Dawn
Necrophilia or bestiality?

Sponsored Links

Old November 29th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #62
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
That's the old moaner out of Coronation St isn't it?
No idea, I've never watched it.
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:43 AM   #63
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 715

Pictures from last weekend,

image hosted on flickr
Birmingham's German Christmas Market by metrogogo, on Flickr

A view from the Ferris Wheel.

image hosted on flickr

http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/64021067@N02/8233836460/]image hosted on flickr
[/url] Birmingham's German Christmas Market by metrogogo, on Flickr

West Midlands Fire Service providing the music.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:15 AM   #64
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 40

...Lovely jubily great shots...some evidence of renovations underway there also.....
PSS1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #65
sefton66

Likes (Received): 541

Another visitors review, this time from Devon

Quote:
REVIEW: Joel Cooper visits Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market
Thursday, December 06, 2012North Devon JournalFollow
LOVE Christmas. There, I said it.

Call me a stickler for tradition but there's nothing quite like the excitement which is ushered in each yuletide to help us come to terms with the increasingly dark days and traditionally rubbish weather.

It gives us all an excuse to go shopping for nice things (even if they aren't for us), allows us the–opportunity to triple our daily calorie intake without feeling guilty and offers the only plausible reason for drinking either eggnog or mulled cider.

So when the opportunity arose to visit Birmingham's world famous Frankfurt Christmas Market on its opening weekend, I strapped on my metaphorical lederhosen, slapped my figurative thigh and headed up the M5 quicker than you can say Frohe Weihnachten.

Our base for the weekend was an uber-trendy apartment in Birmingham's iconic Rotunda building.

The 18th floor apartment – part of the Staying Cool complex – boasts retro Sixties furniture, a fully equipped modern kitchen, iPod dock, free wi-fi, a juicer complete with a stash of ripe oranges and the most stunning view of Birmingham I have ever seen.

Looking out over the Bullring shopping centre, train station and the elegant 12th century St Martin's Church, especially after dark, made the apartment's flat screen television thoroughly redundant (even with a full Sky Sports subscription).

What's more, the Rotunda is superbly located bang in the city centre with New Street and the famous Christmas market less than 20ft from our door – perfect for dropping off those heavy shopping bags.

After a peaceful night's sleep and a hearty breakfast, it was time to hit the shops.

If you can't find what you're looking for in Birmingham at Christmas time, you're doing something wrong.

Every major outlet you can think of has a branch here and most are huge. Whether its fashion, food, gadgets, homeware, perfume, jewellery or anything else you can think of, Birmingham has it in abundance.

After working up an appetite at the Bullring and indoor market, we opted for a traditional German lunch consisting of giant salty pretzels filled with cheese and ham followed by indulgently sweet Berliner doughnuts. Santa himself would struggle to find a more satisfying snack.

After a brief rest at the apartment – and even more gawping at the stunning panoramic view – we headed to Brindley Place for a romantic walk by the canal.

The chilly winter air and biting wind had little effect on our glove-wrapped hands and woolly hatted heads as we strolled aimlessly around the city's beautiful network of waterways, all the while the sound of Christmas music floating gently over the dusky sky.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the Christmas market yet, and there's a good reason for this. We deliberately decided not to visit the market until night time when the lights went on – and boy were we in for a treat.

More than 180 stalls housed in traditional wooden huts filled the gaping centre of New Street like a twinkling neon galaxy.

The smell of sizzling bratwurst, pickled gherkins, frothy beer and spicy glühwein wafted through the air like a festive symphony for the nostrils.

As well as all manner of food and drink, many stalls boasted arts and crafts of the finest calibre – everything from wooden toys, paintings and handmade Christmas decorations to intricate jewellery, flowers, sweets and scented candles.

One of the larger stalls even boasted its very own Santa impersonator on the roof who was belting out Frank Sinatra's My Way with uncanny enthusiasm.

The market really is a feast for all the senses, not least the taste buds. This time we went for a foot-long wiener schnitzel in a bun with fried onions, washed down with a mug of mulled cider.

My head had barely touched the pillow before I was asleep that night, which just goes to show you how much hard work shopping can be.

Although the weekend had sapped most of my energy – and despite the boot full of presents significantly thinning out my wallet – the trip had certainly given me an intravenous dose of festive cheer and placed a broad smile upon my face, and it was worth every penny.

Staying Cool's mini apartment at the Rotunda starts at £99 per night. For more information visit www.stayingcool.com

The Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas market runs until December 22. For more information visit www.christmasin birmingham.com
http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/RE...ail/story.html
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #66
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

Great write up! Sometimes we do have to take outsiders' views on board as we take Brum for granted, moaning about things we haven't done etc like I do lol!

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #67
NQ Lee

Likes (Received): 72

I went to the christmas markets in Birmingham a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how small it was in comparison to the Manchester ones. I also found it to be lacking on range of products like you get in Frankfurt. We were looking for all our favourite things from Frankfurt and most of them we couldn't find eg heisse Hugo,Dresden stollen,Knabberfleisch etc. I assumed that because it was a Frankfurt market that they would have the same products but most of the stuff that was on sale was repeated by every stall, no variety at all.

I must admit I also found the city to be quite ugly looking. I know it is not looking it's best right now but despite some lovely old buildings there were vastly more hideous looking buildings. We were also shocked that there was no market marshalls around to provide security and customer service like they do in Manchester. We were shouted at by a homeless guy whilst having a Gluhwein and he then proceeded to wade through the fountains stealing the coins that everyone had thrown in. No police around to stop him at all.

Overall it was a bad impression of Birmingham we were left with. We liked the auhenticity of the market and there were a couple of things that we really liked such as the live German singer and the quaint little lift on one of the bars but it wasn't as nice as we expected it to be. I think the people from Frankfurt have vastly scaled down the offering for Birmingham and the look of the city failed to provide a nice pretty setting for the markets to fit into. We left a bit disappointed.
NQ Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #68
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 518

Thanks NQ Lee. It's good to see your 'honesty' has found its way from Manchester to Birmingham. Your high standards are really not appreciated in either city by the looks of your posts in the Manchester forum and this one...
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #69
ROYAL BLUE
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ Lee View Post
I went to the christmas markets in Birmingham a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how small it was in comparison to the Manchester ones. I also found it to be lacking on range of products like you get in Frankfurt. We were looking for all our favourite things from Frankfurt and most of them we couldn't find eg heisse Hugo,Dresden stollen,Knabberfleisch etc. I assumed that because it was a Frankfurt market that they would have the same products but most of the stuff that was on sale was repeated by every stall, no variety at all.

I must admit I also found the city to be quite ugly looking. I know it is not looking it's best right now but despite some lovely old buildings there were vastly more hideous looking buildings. We were also shocked that there was no market marshalls around to provide security and customer service like they do in Manchester. We were shouted at by a homeless guy whilst having a Gluhwein and he then proceeded to wade through the fountains stealing the coins that everyone had thrown in. No police around to stop him at all.

Overall it was a bad impression of Birmingham we were left with. We liked the auhenticity of the market and there were a couple of things that we really liked such as the live German singer and the quaint little lift on one of the bars but it wasn't as nice as we expected it to be. I think the people from Frankfurt have vastly scaled down the offering for Birmingham and the look of the city failed to provide a nice pretty setting for the markets to fit into. We left a bit disappointed.
The security this year is very tight, as well as Police there is a private security firm over seeing the entire market. As for the buildings, every great city has a mixture of great and poor architecture, London is home to a huge number of eyesores, doesn't prevent it from being a World class city.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #70
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 272

He is entitled to his opinion. Not everybody will like Brum, you either like it or you dont. Life goes on.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #71
NQ Lee

I am not completely down on Birmingham. I love the canal system through the city and the area around the Mailbox. I can also appreciate the large number of very beautiful buildings in the city. I just found much of the city to be incredibly ugly looking. I really did go with an open mind, even if you dont believe me.

I had only been to Birmingham about 3 times before and my impression was slightly higher then. This was by far my worst ever impression of Birmingham. I think that was partly due to the fact that the weather was overcast and also due to the fact that the whole city looked like one big construction site.

One of the things that really depressed me was how bleak things looked just walking a few yards outside of Centenary Square. I couldn't believe how many really ugly hosuing blocks there were literally right in the middle of the city centre. I also didn't like the way that roads seemed to dominate everywhere you walk in Birmingham. Far too many dark underpasses and ugly concrete buildings for my liking.

I am not saying Manchester is perfect. I actually think Manchester has huge problems with underinvestment in the areas just outside of it's city centre. There are many parts of Manchester that are far worse than anything i have seen in Birmingham. My main point was that Manchester seems to have a more attractive city centre than Birmingham despite having some really great buildings.
NQ Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #72
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
I am not completely down on Birmingham. I love the canal system through the city and the area around the Mailbox. I can also appreciate the large number of very beautiful buildings in the city. I just found much of the city to be incredibly ugly looking. I really did go with an open mind, even if you dont believe me.

I had only been to Birmingham about 3 times before and my impression was slightly higher then. This was by far my worst ever impression of Birmingham. I think that was partly due to the fact that the weather was overcast and also due to the fact that the whole city looked like one big construction site.

One of the things that really depressed me was how bleak things looked just walking a few yards outside of Centenary Square. I couldn't believe how many really ugly hosuing blocks there were literally right in the middle of the city centre. I also didn't like the way that roads seemed to dominate everywhere you walk in Birmingham. Far too many dark underpasses and ugly concrete buildings for my liking.

I am not saying Manchester is perfect. I actually think Manchester has huge problems with underinvestment in the areas just outside of it's city centre. There are many parts of Manchester that are far worse than anything i have seen in Birmingham. My main point was that Manchester seems to have a more attractive city centre than Birmingham despite having some really great buildings.
I don't mean to be rude but i can not think of any underpasses in the core centre of Birmingham. Unless you are talking about underpasses for cars? further more, ugly housing block... i can only think of 3 sites at best unless you were staying in ladywood which would explain somethings.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #73
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 220

NQLee.. I think you hit the nail on the head... it IS a building site and will continue to be until 2015.. We're actually having an upgrade of all our transport facilities at the moment so it will look like one untidy jumble at the moment.. If you come back say in December three years later, you should find that place to be much more tidier, certainly the main sections (although by that time you might find Chamberlain Square may be blocked off for construction).

Not sure about the ugly housing in the town centre thing though.....

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #74
Brum X
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
NQLee.. I think you hit the nail on the head... it IS a building site and will continue to be until 2015.. We're actually having an upgrade of all our transport facilities at the moment so it will look like one untidy jumble at the moment.. If you come back say in December three years later, you should find that place to be much more tidier, certainly the main sections (although by that time you might find Chamberlain Square may be blocked off for construction).

Not sure about the ugly housing in the town centre thing though.....

Sentinels are not exactly beautiful, and they dont even have a lighting scheme anymore, tut tut
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #75
lanemeyer

Likes (Received): 1

Crikey...havent posted on here for 4 years...long time lurker tho.

Ugly housing?...id say at a guess, the poster is referring to the flats behind the library by the flapper and firkin...i always find it a bit intimidating around that area..the canals are nice and the small park where the protest was held for weeks is always kept nice although the ugliness of that multi story next to it is a downer.

As for the christmas market..sorry, im not a fan, too expensive and nothing caters for me at all, much too samey...but each to their own.

On a side note, Radio 4 had a short piece on the market the other day...
One german stall holder made the point he paid his taxes in this country and someone from Bham council told how much it benefits the local area and especially the rag/indoor outdoor market.
Apparently people filter from the german market and down to the Bull Ring and then onto the local markets.

This seemed a complete shock to the traders in the rag market, who say that they suffer badly when the German market arrives...footfall is infact down!
They suggest moving the market nearer them would be an idea..

Sounds exactly like the Wolverhampton German market...prime positions for the visiting market that does nothing fr the exisiting one.
lanemeyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #76
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

Manchester vs Birmingham. Boooring.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #77
Brum X
Brum X

I love the German Christmas market and makes Brum vibrant and exciting. It also makes the city feel festive, something you dont find in places like Bullring, MerryHill or Touchwood shopping centres.

Yeah it is expensive, but we are allowed to indulge and spend some money at this time of the year.

A nice addition to the city's calender in my opinion and long may it continue.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #78
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

There are still a lot of underpasses (subways) in the city as NQLee points out - the journey from the Library to The Shakespeare is awful, the Livery St one is still there, the ones at Lancaster etc. Yes they do leave a bad impression but thankfully the new Holiday Inn Express is removing the last section of this kind of walkway at Snow Hill.

I also find it weird how the city centre does possess high rise blocks that you'd expect further out so I can see how they are seen to be in the wrong position.

The year round markets do house 2 brilliant places - the Indoor and the Rag, but I'm afraid the outdoor markets are a complete dump. Yes the traders are right to moan about the tourists only seeing the German version but they should be taking their fight to the council over the shoddy site and stalls instead. This market is as bad as an eyesore as the soon-to-be-gone-hopefully Wholesale Markets - the land needs to be repaved, the trees replaced with maybe some evergreens, the disgusting stalls need to be replaced with ones that are attractive as well as practical. Why do we put up with such a dumpy outdoor market?

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #79
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
There are still a lot of underpasses (subways) in the city as NQLee points out - the journey from the Library to The Shakespeare is awful, the Livery St one is still there, the ones at Lancaster etc. Yes they do leave a bad impression but thankfully the new Holiday Inn Express is removing the last section of this kind of walkway at Snow Hill.
i'm going to say sorry to the forum now.

Livery St (im assuming snowhill?) does not have an underpass, Holiday Inn is not an underpass either.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #80
markmcd1976

There is a subway at Livery Street mate, right by the Snow Hill Staion bridge/overpass, and one from Fletchers walk to the the Crowne Plaza.

As for the Bullring markets, the environment around them is terrible. The city should have looked at the best markets in the world and taken elements from them when they re-built them 10 years ago. The markets should be an attraction in their own right...
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham, christmas