daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #81
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 54

I find elements of the market interesting but the novelty soon wears off for me, I also listened to the radio feature and agree that the stalls should be better integrated across the whole city centre, it would also reduce the sometimes dangerous crush along New Street. With regards to security, we walked through New Street late Saturday night and we witnessed security simply watching as a racist fight was beginning whether they would have stepped in I'm not sure but didn't look very good considering the racist language being used on both sides, I also agree about the police, they are virtually non existent in the city centre these days, not sure if that is down to funding but it is similar else where so not just Brum issue. Generally I find the city centre quite easy and safe to navigate around. I'd feel happy allowing guests to wander from Centenary Square down New Street to the station at night. Not many cities you can say that.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #82
Nessyjord

Likes (Received): 2

There are a few very good points in NQ Lee's post, I'm a little surprised that forumers have discounted him as trolling. I share in their disappointment regarding the offering of the German Market; each year that passes I feel that there are less craft stores and more food/ drink outlets opening.

Also we we know of the horrors awaiting people who stray barely metres in the wrong direction around the city centre, to name a few: Rag Markets and Digbeth, behind Centenary Sq, around Commercial street/ Bath Row, wrong end of High St.
Nessyjord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #83
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 72

The German market is great for the city, but to encourage people to come back year after year it does need to freshen up each year.

There shouldn't be the repeating of stalls selling the same gear, there must be three selling Nutcrackers!

It would be good if it integrated somehow with the Rag and Row Market.

It would also be good if it dragged people up to the top end of Corporation Street.

These are relatively minor points though. In general it does so much good for the city and probably keeps a number of permanent retailers in business.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #84
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 210

The German market featured in a round of Christmas markets on University Challenge. Neither team got it right.

Thinking it was either Manchester or Birmingham.

hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #85
js1000

Likes (Received): 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ Lee View Post
I am not completely down on Birmingham. I love the canal system through the city and the area around the Mailbox. I can also appreciate the large number of very beautiful buildings in the city. I just found much of the city to be incredibly ugly looking. I really did go with an open mind, even if you dont believe me.

I had only been to Birmingham about 3 times before and my impression was slightly higher then. This was by far my worst ever impression of Birmingham. I think that was partly due to the fact that the weather was overcast and also due to the fact that the whole city looked like one big construction site.

One of the things that really depressed me was how bleak things looked just walking a few yards outside of Centenary Square. I couldn't believe how many really ugly hosuing blocks there were literally right in the middle of the city centre. I also didn't like the way that roads seemed to dominate everywhere you walk in Birmingham. Far too many dark underpasses and ugly concrete buildings for my liking.

I am not saying Manchester is perfect. I actually think Manchester has huge problems with underinvestment in the areas just outside of it's city centre. There are many parts of Manchester that are far worse than anything i have seen in Birmingham. My main point was that Manchester seems to have a more attractive city centre than Birmingham despite having some really great buildings.
Blame the Nazis and the architects who thought concrete was the way forward (turned out it wasn't eventually). I know its difficult as two of the most important aspects at Christmas Markets are the atmosphere and surrounding chalets and buildings. I suppose that is what makes the stalls outside Manchester Town Hall so popular. My advice - keep your eyes level with friendly Brummies rather than looking up at dreary buildings
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #86
brum2003

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000
Blame the Nazis and the architects who thought concrete was the way forward (turned out it wasn't eventually). I know its difficult as two of the most important aspects at Christmas Markets are the atmosphere and surrounding chalets and buildings. I suppose that is what makes the stalls outside Manchester Town Hall so popular. My advice - keep your eyes level with friendly Brummies rather than looking up at dreary buildings
There's something more reliable than the sun rising every morning - every time a news story mentions something positive about Birmingham someone from Manchester pops up and waves the proverbial willy, and then proceeds to put Birmingham well and truly in its place. Sad thing is learning from other cities is important but this is just tedious and sadly very regular trolling of lots of otherwise interesting threads. Personally I couldn't care less about what happens in Manchester ! That's why I read a Birmingham forum.
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #87
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003 View Post
There's something more reliable than the sun rising every morning - every time a news story mentions something positive about Birmingham someone from Manchester pops up and waves the proverbial willy, and then proceeds to put Birmingham well and truly in its place. Sad thing is learning from other cities is important but this is just tedious and sadly very regular trolling of lots of otherwise interesting threads. Personally I couldn't care less about what happens in Manchester ! That's why I read a Birmingham forum.
Problem is... too many people shout 'troll' whenever someone says ANYTHING. Those who less literate online should understand a troll is someone who deliberately abuses to get a reaction. I could find instances of trolling which are genuinely shocking.

If someone has actually visited the Christmas Markets in Birmingham - is he/she allowed to talk about what he did or didn't like? Isn't that the whole point of this thread? Or are you just going to be purely anti-social and shout 'troll' at every outsider? You need to lighten up.
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #88
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

It was a Manchester cllr who piped up about the German Market stats though! Brum's is a specific Frankfurt Market which the cllr failed to notice! They've been taking tips off Brum for many years, copying our arenas, convention centres, concert halls, re-generation schemes....

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #89
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
It was a Manchester cllr who piped up about the German Market stats though! Brum's is a specific Frankfurt Market which the cllr failed to notice! They've been taking tips off Brum for many years, copying our arenas, convention centres, concert halls, re-generation schemes....
Yep, I'm sure building a new orchestra hall for the famous Halle orchestra, a new arena for sports and music events and converting a train shed to a conference centre had EVERYTHING to do with Birmingham.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #90
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

In the early 90s your Council Leader was quoted that he had been watching what Brum had been doing in terms of a new city centre arena, a concert hall and convention centre - look it up. And the CBSO is just as famous as the Halle - Sir Simon Rattle anyone?
Don't be so sure about Manchester being the leader of the late 80s regeneration projects - we were and you copied us.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #91
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
In the early 90s your Council Leader was quoted that he had been watching what Brum had been doing in terms of a new city centre arena, a concert hall and convention centre - look it up. And the CBSO is just as famous as the Halle - Sir Simon Rattle anyone?
Don't be so sure about Manchester being the leader of the late 80s regeneration projects - we were and you copied us.
Yeah, well whatever if that is your claim to fame, "another city copied us" then god help you.
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #92
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
Yep, I'm sure building a new orchestra hall for the famous Halle orchestra, a new arena for sports and music events and converting a train shed to a conference centre had EVERYTHING to do with Birmingham.
Bridgewater cannot be compared to Symphony Hall, they are both in different leagues. Manchester Central is a terrible conference centre, you cannot compare it to the ICC at all, more like some halls at the NEC. MEN Arena is good though.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #93
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 272

BACK TO TOPIC PLEASE.

BIRMINGHAM FRANKFURT CHRISTMAS MARKET
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #94
js1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
Bridgewater cannot be compared to Symphony Hall, they are both in different leagues. Manchester Central is a terrible conference centre, you cannot compare it to the ICC at all, more like some halls at the NEC. MEN Arena is good though.
I actually quite like Manchester Central - particularly when you consider the Midland and Northern Warehouse nearby - it has a sense of history rather than a soulless modern development. Manchester Arena is bad. Grafted onto the back of a listed train station.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #95
brum2003

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000
Problem is... too many people shout 'troll' whenever someone says ANYTHING. Those who less literate online should understand a troll is someone who deliberately abuses to get a reaction. I could find instances of trolling which are genuinely shocking.

If someone has actually visited the Christmas Markets in Birmingham - is he/she allowed to talk about what he did or didn't like? Isn't that the whole point of this thread? Or are you just going to be purely anti-social and shout 'troll' at every outsider? You need to lighten up.
I didn't use the word troll, you did. I said people come on this forum banging on about Manchester - and ten posts later your still talking about Manchester - a tip, there is a whole forum devoted to the subject of Manchester. You might like to go and post your thoughts about Manchester there. Manchester!
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #96
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 272

Right, back to BIRMINGHAM FRANKFURT CHRISTMAS MARKET, LOL
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #97
B22

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
What he was trying to say was:

Birmingham got it's NEC & Arena in 1976 - a few years later G-Mex was born.

In 1990 Birmingham got it's world class concert hall - 5 years later the Bridgewater Hall was born.

In 1991 Birmingham got it's city centre National Indoor Arena - 5 years later, Manchester followed suit with it's MEN Arena.

In 1991, Birmingham got it's International Convention Centre, a few years later, Manchester followed with a similar but smaller venue.

In the late 90's a big German style Christmas market was introduced to Birmingham city centre - a couple of years later, Manchester had it's own version.

In 2003, Birmingham completed it's hugely successful new Bullring shopping centre - Manchester spent millions on rejuvenating it's tired Arndale mall.

Can you see a pattern developing?
B22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #98
js1000

You appear to have a short memory - for your enlightenment
Quote:
then...

Quote:
I didn't use the word troll, you did. I said people come on this forum banging on about Manchester - and ten posts later your still talking about Manchester - a tip, there is a whole forum devoted to the subject of Manchester. You might like to go and post your thoughts about Manchester there. Manchester!
Really?? Don't accuse me of being a troll. If anyone is 'trolling' it is you.
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM   #99
sefton66

Likes (Received): 541

one of ells

image hosted on flickr

Ferris Wheel and Chair-o-planes - Centenary Square by ell brown, on Flickr
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM   #100
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by B22 View Post

What he was trying to say was:

Birmingham got it's NEC & Arena in 1976 - a few years later G-Mex was born.

In 1990 Birmingham got it's world class concert hall - 5 years later the Bridgewater Hall was born.

In 1991 Birmingham got it's city centre National Indoor Arena - 5 years later, Manchester followed suit with it's MEN Arena.

In 1991, Birmingham got it's International Convention Centre, a few years later, Manchester followed with a similar but smaller venue.

In the late 90's a big German style Christmas market was introduced to Birmingham city centre - a couple of years later, Manchester had it's own version.

In 2003, Birmingham completed it's hugely successful new Bullring shopping centre - Manchester spent millions on rejuvenating it's tired Arndale mall.

Can you see a pattern developing?
Other than your memory for some dates being wrong why not mention light rail, full length airport runways, railway station rebuilds, cross local authority devolution of powers???

By selective (incorrect in some cases) use of facts you can prove anything you want.

More interesting, why does it bother you what happens in Manchester?

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.

Last edited by LNGCats; December 21st, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham, christmas