daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2041
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

London is the only city in europe that has 2 main skylines/financial districts and several mini clusters (btw new york skyline consists of 2 main clusters too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
The view is already excellent. Imagine it in 5 years time when many more towers are constructed.

LondonFox liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2042
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
I guess London just tries too hard to get a decent skyline. The design of the new skyscrapers and highrises is too extraordinarily imo although the industrial touch suits London. But I have to say that Frankfurt does it better: the highrisees and the skyscrapers are elegant, classy and form a beautiful skyline. each new tower is a perfect supplement for the already balanced cluster.
The only problem with Frankfurt that it's doesn't build much. Not much new projects, no highrise resi towers, etc. Also, many skyscrapers in Frankfurt look dated now and you are not coming with any new exciting staff.
Quicksilver no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2043
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Also, many skyscrapers in Frankfurt look dated now
No, they don't, and Frankfurt's skyline, no matter how much you guys troll, still remains the most impressive in Europe.

Tiaren, Jex7844 liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #2044
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 11205

Avemano no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #2045
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
No, they don't, and Frankfurt's skyline still remains the most impressive in Europe.
Yes, they are as they have been built or designed in 80-90s.

Even new one like this built with slightly outdated architecture:

By DimaF
complete 2012 200м
[IMG]http://i42.************/6ehgky.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.************/5vddi1.jpg[/IMG]]

Also, this one:

[B]Trianon |1989-93 | 45fl |186m

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanda...57603853350909

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catb/2747053313/[/QUOTE]

and this one:

OpernTurm |2007-09 | 43 fl | 169 m

http://www.kone.com/countries/de_DE/...ffizienzA.aspx

And this one:

Silver Tower |1972-78 | 32fl |166m

Renovation 2011
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbandave/2297163086/

Shall I continue?

Frankfurt reminds me Hong Kong somehow, which had it golden years back in 80-90s.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2046
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Yes, they are as they have been built or designed in 80-90s/
The date is of no consequence. The fact remains that a lot of Frankfurt's towers have aged well and look just as fresh as they have done when they were built, not to mention the skyline is easily the most impressive in Europe.

Quote:
Shall I continue?
No, please, take your trolling somewhere else. I think everyone's really tired of this London/Paris is da best crap.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2047
sk327

Likes (Received): 351

Can you guys stop it? No one's ever gonna change their mind, if one prefers LD or CW it's a thing that's not going to change anytime soon unless we see some huge additions to these skylines. I personally love CW and City skylines and know all the buildings' names etc, whereas I know nothing more about LD other than the skyline looks like someone has painted a straight line on the sky. And for god's sake, let's keep this thread about how skylines are now, not how they will look in 20 years time after all proposed-U/C-Visionary skyscrapers have been constructed because it won't make a difference to what they actually look like now. Just a quick reference would be fine, but fighting over which one will be better in 20 years? It's honestly not going anywhere.
sk327 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2048
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
The date is of no consequence. The fact remains that a lot of Frankfurt's towers have aged well and look just as fresh as they have done when they were built.

No, please, take your trolling somewhere else. I think everyones really tired of this London/Paris is da best crap.
Where else? It's not trolling by the way, just expressing opinion with images. If you don't like what you see and hear, express your own opinion as everybody else here or just keep quiet.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2049
SO143
BANNED

You forgot to include Japan centre tower in frankfurt. I think it is many people's favourite one..
SO143 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2050
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3992

As an outsider - what I noticed was trolls deliberatly being trollish towards London and then Londerners trollling back in a defensive manner.

If you can eradicated the trolls in the first place. Less trolls would be created.

And it's normally the same culprits.

El_Greco liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2051
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
It's not trolling by the way
Yes it is. The French and British contingents (the usual suspects) have been derailing threads all over the forum with their usual "my city is da best" crap for a good while now.

Quote:
If you don't like what you see and hear, express your own opinion as everybody else here or just keep quiet.
Don't patronize me.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2052
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Yes it is. The French and British contingents have been derailing threads all over the forum with their usual "my city is da best" crap for a good while now.

Don't patronize me.
I am not patronizing you but also don't tell me what trolling is and what is not as I've been on this forum slightly longer than you and know pretty well how to behave here.

I don't like bashing in the way of "the best skyline even and for ages", "the best skyscraper ever built" etc. and I have explained before why. But, in the same way, I like sensible discussion, that's why this forum was created in the first place anyway.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2053
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

opinions + emotions + pride + taste + patriotism = not a bloody chance to gain a constructive nor a reasonable discussion.

every european city has it's pros and cons, so whats the point of debating it?

aclifford, KlausDiggy liked this post
craperskys no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2054
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 912

I think that many of Frankfurt's designs were actually ahead of their time and/or have a quite timeless futuristic style. Why don't you show us some pics of Commerzbank Tower, Messeturm, Westend Tower, Nextower, Taunusturm, ECB, MainPlaza, Main Tower or Deutsche Bank Twin Towers..

To Paris: I think that Tour Phare has an awful design and should under no circumstances get built in the otherwise so far quite nice LD cluster. The Tours Hermitage, however would completely ruin it for me as they don't only have a discussable design thus far but also would take any balance out of this already unbalanced skyline (caused by the erection of Tour First in the very northern part of LD).
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #2055
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
but also don't tell me what trolling is and what is not as I've been on this forum slightly longer than you and know pretty well how to behave here.
I think what is going on in this thread is trolling. There's two camps, made up, as always, of the same usual suspects, and each claim their city (London/Paris) is the best and to "prove" this they have to go and post loads of pictures we've seen many times already.

Last edited by El_Greco; May 29th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2056
SO143
BANNED

Thank you NATO. You're the reason why we dont see anymore world class big party in europe.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2057
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
I think that many of Frankfurt's designs were actually ahead of their time and/or have a quite timeless futuristic style. Why don't you show us some pics of Commerzbank Tower, Messeturm, Westend Tower, Nextower, Taunusturm, ECB, MainPlaza, Main Tower or Deutsche Bank Twin Towers..

To Paris: I think that Tour Phare has an awful design and should under no circumstances get built in the otherwise so far quite nice LD cluster. The Tours Hermitage, however would completely ruin it for me as they don't only have a discussable design thus far but also would take any balance out of this already unbalanced skyline (caused by the erection of Tour First in the very northern part of LD).
Again, just my personal opinion:

Commerzbank Tower - reminds me HBSC tower in HK. Yes, same architect, etc. etc. Personally, don't like neither CT or HSBC tower.

Messeturm - american design, looks good.

Westend Tower - don't like top at all.

Nextower - good

Taunusturm - good

MainPlaza - probably one of my favorite in Frankfurt but too short.

Main Tower - 90s design, but looks ok

Deutsche Bank Twin - again, reminds me Lippo Towers in HK and not really my cup of tea.
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2058
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Hermitage are the only skyscrapers that look good there. But they are in the wrong place.
LondonFox no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #2059
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
I think what is going on in this thread is trolling. There's two camps, made up, as always, of the same usual suspects, and each claim their city (London/Paris) is the best and to "prove" this they have to go and post loads of pictures we've seen many times already.
I agree with you but sometimes the only way to steer people away from trolling or blunt statements such as "my skyline is the best" is to start asking them direct questions or asking for the explanation why they come to such conclusion, etc. Believe me, you haven't seen trolling in some regional subsections such as Russia or Ukraine. Here is nothing compare to that.

Last edited by Quicksilver; May 29th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2060
Daviegraham
Davie

Likes (Received): 161

The city bashing on this forum really detracts from what is otherwise an excellent site.

I find Frankfurt from the right angles to be the most impressive European skyline.

Moscow is a real giant and I find their ultra modern super talls extremely impressive.

Paris has a wide and dense skyline that looks even more endearing as it looms over a beautiful city.

Rotterdam kicks well above it's weight, and I personally love Dutch tower architecture.

London has two decent clusters with excellent individual towers. The rate of construction and plans for the future are also quite staggering.

Europe has the unique advantage over the rest of the world that it holds onto so much heritage within its huge cities but are also now starting to build dynamic modern additions without completely ruining what was already there (like I think has happened in numerous cities across Asia). I honestly don't see why people in 200 years can't be looking at buildings like the Leadenhall in London and still be impressed. We are starting to really have the best of both worlds (old and new).

Turing, yabbes, fulger2013 liked this post
Daviegraham no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien