daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2421
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1696

Benidorm
image hosted on flickr

iPads are everywhere por Dan Bloom, en Flickr

vinttt liked this post
Victhor no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2422
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Moscow, "Capital of The Largest Country On Earth"

image hosted on flickr

vinttt, Alexenergy liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2423
SO143
BANNED

Paris "The City of Love"

image hosted on flickr

The Eiffel Tower, Paris queen, glowing in the night by buzzbuzz, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Paris Skyline from Neuilly by buzzbuzz, on Flickr

vinttt liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2424
Greg95100
Un banlieusard en Sologne

Location: Paris/Romorantin (Loir et Cher)/Argentan ( Normandie)
Likes (Received): 3842

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post

Old picture of La Défense.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1657109

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_qpZ-Nvww8

RIP Xavier.

Tokyo-Paris-New-York-Los Angeles

vinttt, Avemano liked this post
Greg95100 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #2425
mlody89

Likes (Received): 1993

warsaw

by sieradzin

skyline 2
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2426
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
Paris has no skyscrapers in city centre - but on outskirts - looks odd.
Wait... WHAAAT?! Paris... Looks odd?! Have you ever been to Paris? Paris has the cleverest urban planning in the world, just walk down the Champs Elysée and you will understand what they meant by building La Défense where they built it. They built the whole city right at the end of the world's most famous boulevuard just to make the artistic impression of contrast between the old and the new, when you look at La Défense from Place de la Concorde, you can see the old Arc de Triumphe framed in the new Arc surrounded by walls of skyscrapers. It is absolutely briliant and amazing. Plus the Seine Rive Gauche - a beautiful gradation with the pearl at its end - the Eiffel Tower. They even have in the law where you can build how tall building so it won't destroy the feeling of historical center... Plus, it has advantages, you have the old city center full of tourists and overpriced shops and restaurants and then you have the business center full of life, locals and international businessmen. If you say La Défense is in the outskirts, you have never been to La Défense, I'd say it is the true center of Paris with all that stuff that belongs to the city center... For example culture - last time I was there I enjoyed a coffee while listening to Asaf Avidan's concert. For free...(not the coffee, off course)

I'd say that Paris has more than one city center.

Gedimin, Andre_Filipe, Avemano liked this post

Last edited by Ondro; June 12th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Ondro no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2427
Bhound

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
I wonder what are those Russian cities that most of Brazilinas can recognize by pictures alone. I guess average Brazilian can recognize Moscow, maybe St. Petersburg, but then? Can you even name them?

Yes i can name them. Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Sochi, Rostov on Don, St Petersburg, Vladivostock, Novosirbisk etc. But then there is a whole lot more. The ones i have mentioned here are those i can recognise just by looking at the pictures or photos. Anything more?

Radiokott liked this post
Bhound no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #2428
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Great pictures everyone. Warsaw is going brilliant.

Core Rising found a link for some updates from another 43 storey tower rising near Canary Wharf.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1416231...1559/lightbox/
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2429
vinttt

Likes (Received): 13975

Moscow

http://vk.com/piterskiyorg

http://vk.com/a_digg

aarhusforever, KlausDiggy, sok12 liked this post
vinttt no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2430
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

Moscow
by mr. MyXiN

by theAlone

Alexenergy, aarhusforever, vinttt liked this post
VitMos no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2431
SO143
BANNED

Top 5 in alphabet order

frankfrut
istanbul
london
moscow
paris

sorry my polish folks, warsaw has been officially downgraded and replaced by one of europes most booming towns "istanbul"

serhat liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #2432
Fallout
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Likes (Received): 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhound View Post
Yes i can name them. Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Sochi, Rostov on Don, St Petersburg, Vladivostock, Novosirbisk etc. But then there is a whole lot more. The ones i have mentioned here are those i can recognise just by looking at the pictures or photos. Anything more?
I have no doubt you can recognize them, if you spend time browsing SSC photo threads. But I doubt "a lot" of people in Brazil would, if even people in Poland don't.

The thing is that most modern architecture looks the same, and except for famous landmarks like Sydney Opera, modern buildings don't fall into memory so well as historic ones. Thats why Russian cities, filled with mostly modern repeatable architecture are less recognizable than Polish ones, which in turn are less recognizable than French or Italian ones.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
― Hermann Göring

The monster never dies, no matter how many times you kill it. It just sheds its skin and changes form.
― William J. Blazkowicz
Fallout no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #2433
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Quote:
I wonder what are those Russian cities that most of Brazilinas can recognize by pictures alone. I guess average Brazilian can recognize Moscow, maybe St. Petersburg, but then? Can you even name them?
That's true of most people around the world, not just Brazilians. The majority of people will draw a blank after Moscow and St. Petersburg.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2434
Bhound

"Russian cities, filled with mostly modern repeatable architecture are less recognizable than Polish ones."

Is that so? Lets agree to dissagre but anyway, i am stating facts. Brazillians know more about Russia than Poland and thats fact. Or maybe i should say the America's (North & South)
Bhound no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2435
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

I like to think I am very well traveled, well educated and quite good at locations, cities and countries.

I could reel of 3 or 4 Russian and Brazilian cities but then I would begin to struggle.

Same with Poland.

Same would be said for more or less every major country apart from the likes of US, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc.

It's not to say they aren't important just not as well known for various reasons than others.
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2436
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7059

Quote:
I have no doubt you can recognize them, if you spend time browsing SSC photo threads. But I doubt "a lot" of people in Brazil would, if even people in Poland don't.

The thing is that most modern architecture looks the same, and except for famous landmarks like Sydney Opera, modern buildings don't fall into memory so well as historic ones. Thats why Russian cities, filled with mostly modern repeatable architecture are less recognizable than Polish ones, which in turn are less recognizable than French or Italian ones.
Well, you correctly writes that every great city has own iconic monument which is known in whole world. For example, Paris has Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Arc de Triomphe; London - Big Ben and Tower Bridge; Berlin - Reichstag building and Brandenburg Gate; New York - Statue of Liberty; Rio de Janeiro - Christ the Redeemer; Sydney - Opera House; etc.

I sure you have false impression that Polish cities are more recognizable in whole world. What building are really iconic in Poland? I mean - if you show postcards with images of Krakow, Torun, Danzig, etc to foreigners - how many people can recognize it (not only your neighbors from EU states, but people in Brazil, India, Japan)?

The problem that Poland have no such iconic monuments (well, may be, except this beautiful Russian-made skyscraper in Warsaw). You don't have own autentic national architecture, you just copied architecture of your European neighbors instead of create something own ones.

That's why Polish cities are not different from hundreds of similar cities in Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, etc. All these cities look the same. It does not mean that Polish cities are bad, but it does not mean that it's world-famous.

croomm, vinttt liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2437
SO143
BANNED

Im sick of russia vs poland beef in this thread.

Oliszydlowski, KlausDiggy liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #2438
Bhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Im sick of russia vs poland beef in this thread.

Tell it to the Polish, they started it.
Bhound no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2439
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Anyway.... Moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
Thanks to WOODGNOME ( the guy who posted the video 2 pages back), I got this wonderful opportunity to see and also to show the LONDON-fans and yet others, HOW LONDON LITERALLY SHINES IN ITS ULTIMATE GLORY!!!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/london-aeri...9.html#lAoMTWz

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2440
DimaF
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliszydlowski View Post

MOTHER-RUSSIA
are you crazy ?... This could happen to any building. Because nothing could hold explosion of Gas. There gives any material on the buildings wich would not smashed after explosion of the Gas.

Please correct your nostagic feelings_ they are not common in this photo.

by the way> I wish you a nice day in psychiatry clinic .

Last edited by DimaF; June 12th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
DimaF no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien