daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2461
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2209

P A R I S

We love it

La Défense seen from Château de la Muette 16th arrondissement
image hosted on flickr

Front de seine
image hosted on flickr

Front-de-Seine - Paris par Cebb Photo, sur Flickr

Montparnasse tower
image hosted on flickr

la tour montparnasse par gwadazindien, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tour Montparnasse & Pleine Lune par Vision Photo-Graphique, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

TOUR MONTPARNASSE par marsupilami92, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tour Montparnasse par Mac.Callahan, sur Flickr

La Défense

image hosted on flickr

Paris se couche par Guillaume Chanson, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sunset o coeur de PariS par o coeur de la photo, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Old and New par J P | Photography, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Day in Paris 2013 par paveldobrovsky, sur Flickr

Jex7844, Avemano, vinttt liked this post
Axelferis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #2462
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

the city of love "paris" looks beautiful as always xoxo
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2463
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post

Very interesting But what is the translation of Invalides to English? In English it bears a resemblance to a rather unfortunate word.

invalids - 3rd person singular present, plural of in·va·lid

Noun
A person made weak or disabled by illness or injury.

Verb
Remove (someone) from active military service because of injury or illness: "he was invalided out of the infantry".
LondonFox no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2464
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

In this case, the Invalides refers to disabled people. This monument was actually built under Louis XIV to accommodate his wounded/disabled soldiers. Today, it still is the case but it also houses museums & a military necropolis.

LondonFox liked this post

Last edited by Jex7844; June 13th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Jex7844 no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #2465
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Ok, so it has the same meaning... just with the extra 'e'. Thanks.

Jex7844 liked this post
LondonFox no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #2466
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarhusforever View Post
Daytime one:

Plus some Défense

And the Lady Liberty

With some Champs Elysée

I hope you don't mind they are one year old. I am so looking forward to visiting Paris this year!

Donodöner, Avemano, tolo8, vinttt, Galik liked this post
Ondro no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #2467
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

By Thierry2478:

ps: many thanks to Vonbingen for this great find!
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #2468
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondro View Post
Wait... WHAAAT?! Paris... Looks odd?!
I'd say that Paris has more than one city center.
A genuine city can only have one centre. To say it has more than one is making excuses. The centre of Paris is old and flat. Paris surrendered during the war and has no bomb sites - therefore no room for skyskrapers. Sorry. La Defence is 6km from the centre - a cop out. Most of these pictures are the skyline of La Defence - a business district on the outskirts of Paris. Yes it looks nice in the distance - bla bla - but it's not the skyline of Paris. Yes Paris is a beautiful old city - buit it's 'apparent' skyline illustrated on this forum is contrived.
FreeeSpirit no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #2469
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
That's why Polish cities are not different from hundreds of similar cities in Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, etc. All these cities look the same. It does not mean that Polish cities are bad, but it does not mean that it's world-famous.
If you are cultured and intelligent - you will know about these cities
FreeeSpirit no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #2470
renny de jesus

Likes (Received): 766

PARIS

renny de jesus no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #2471
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
A genuine city can only have one centre. To say it has more than one is making excuses. The centre of Paris is old and flat. Paris surrendered during the war and has no bomb sites - therefore no room for skyskrapers. Sorry. La Defence is 6km from the centre - a cop out. Most of these pictures are the skyline of La Defence - a business district on the outskirts of Paris. Yes it looks nice in the distance - bla bla - but it's not the skyline of Paris. Yes Paris is a beautiful old city - buit it's 'apparent' skyline illustrated on this forum is contrived.
Well, I'd rather have a beautiful city center and skyscrapers "on the outskirts" than a center with no historic value.
However, tell me, how do you define a city center? The oldest part of the city? The part of the city that is "in the middle"? Or the place where the city hall is? I define the city center as the center of public life, where people go on daily basis for various reasons - work, shopping culture... Not always is the center in the middle, nor it is always the oldest part of the city, if you want to define the city center as the oldest part of the city, then the center of my hometown would be 3km from the center nowadays on the hill overlooking the town, because there was the original celtic settlement that the city emerged from And so there is the problem with the city hall. In my hometown, the city hall is in a street that was around 1930 at the very edge of the town. But let's go back to Paris - what do you think is the city center there then? You said La Défense is 6km from the center. Then it would mean that you think that the city center in Paris is Place de la Concorde. But that is not in the middle, nor it is the oldest part. This part of Paris was in the past the place of various palaces with their gardens on the outskirts of the od city, the area and areas nearby even have the name of Champs, which means "fields". The city center was near Notre Damme, in the area called Cité. But that is just a tourist atraction nowadays. If you want to define the city center as an area, then by your definition, in Paris it would have radius of 2km, if you want to count the Champs Elysées and Champs Mars to the city center, then it would have almost 8km across. I am sure you would find the same problem with London and every major city in Europe. Even in the city I currently live in, Prague, where is the center? The Oldtown Square? Please, no local would really go there for any other reason than recreation. Is it the riverfront? Is it the Wenceclass Square?(even in Prague, the Old City Hall is just a museum, the real administrative complex of the city or Magistrate as we call it is on the outskirts of the old town - on Národní Třída) And the other thing - you have to distinguish the City Center from a center of a city. I say, the modern European city has always more than one city center - the old one which is a disneyland, attraction for tourists, sometimes usable for locals for recreation, but mostly just a showcase or an open air museum and the modern city center where the real life of the city is sometimes the two area blend together, sometimes they are disjunct sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
If you are cultured and intelligent - you will know about these cities
Sorry, but the people here have the point. You can know something about these cities, but it does not mean you would recognise them on pictures. Until I found this forum, I would not recognise Warszawa from a picture if somebody had shown me. However, back then I would recognise St. Petersburg, Moscow, Vladivostok, Kaliningrad, Samara and Omsk. I am sure that most of people would not recognise anything else than Moscow and St. Peterburg, but I think that in the world, there is more people that know more about cities of Russia than about Poland.

Jex7844, Avemano, GM liked this post

Last edited by Ondro; June 13th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Ondro no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #2472
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Is this whole thread a joke?

"Skylines in Europe" <---- LOL!
Bannor no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2473
Alexenergy

Likes (Received): 1044

MOSCOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by human187 View Post
Крылатские Холмы, 12.06.13:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. MyXiN View Post

vinttt, Union.SLO, Nubian_Warrior liked this post
Alexenergy no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2474
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

image hosted on flickr

City Twilight by CVG167, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

This Is Woolwich by neal1973, on Flickr

vinttt, Donodöner liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #2475
Szymulek

Likes (Received): 355

Warsaw, Poland
by Sławek

human187, tolo8, Jex7844, Union.SLO, Ondro and 1 others liked this post
Szymulek no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #2476
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
I never had impression that Polish cities are known worldwide. All I wanted to say that major Polish cities are more recognizable than major Russian cities, certainly more than Russian cities of comparable size.

Krakow vs Nizhny Novogrod
Wroclaw vs Yekaterinburg
Gdansk vs Novosibirsk.

Will really more Japanese know the second one than the first(most won't know both, I'm sure).

Yes, Warsaw has unique chance to create one skyscraper cluster in the centre of the city, where their concentration would compensate for numbers or height. Unfortunately, urban planning is still ignored here nad adjusted to will of inverstors.

Also the big area aroung Palace of Culture remains unocuppied due to uncertainity about land ownership claims. And it goes so for 20 years by now.

You serious? No one knows polish cities unless you live in planet uranus

every one knows Moscow, St Petersburg, Sochi, Vladivostok, Kazan you hear it in the news and Hollywood movies! other than warsaw no one knows any other cities in poland unless you live in europe or something!

Polish forumers in this forum envy Russian Skyscrapers and they know it will take poland 100,000 years to catch up with Russian skyscrapers and cities thats why they keep bringing this up and up

vinttt, Alexenergy liked this post

Last edited by Nubian_Warrior; June 14th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.
Nubian_Warrior no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2477
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

I would be interested in the percentage of average people who have ever heard of Sochi or can recognize Vladivostok just by looking at pics of it.

Now please stop this guys, every russian user says that russian cities are more recognizable and every polish user says that polish ones are... this is getting a bit annoying now. Who even cares actually? Drop this OT now please, for f**k's sake. Maybe we should simply exclude Eastern Europe from the next thread if this one's also going down like the last ones that were closed because of stuff like this.....
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2478
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
I would be interested in the percentage of average people who have ever heard of Sochi or can recognize Vladivostok just by looking at pics of it.

Hey because you wear them giant big specs and cant see $h*t it doesn't mean that anyone else is blind, sochi and Vladivostok been under the spotlight for sometime unless you live in a prison and that is something different!

vinttt liked this post
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #2479
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

^ Well, although I'm sure this is not the place to discuss that mate..:
Personally I know about these and many other Russian cities and could most likely also recognize them by pics if the most famous buildings/landscapes are shown, but I'm a city/geography enthusiast.. If you're not interested in tbe subject, how would you know how these cities look (or in case of Sochi, even exist)? It's not like they'd be on the international news every day.

(By the way: the same goes for the polish cities besides Warsaw and maybe Cracow)

If you want to continue the chat about that matter, I invite you to contact me via PM
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #2480
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
^ Well, although I'm sure this is not the place to discuss that mate..:
Personally I know about these and many other Russian cities and could most likely also recognize them by pics if the most famous buildings/landscapes are shown, but I'm a city/geography enthusiast.. If you're not interested in tbe subject, how would you know how these cities look (or in case of Sochi, even exist)? It's not like they'd be on the international news every day.

(By the way: the same goes for the polish cities besides Warsaw and maybe Cracow)

If you want to continue the chat about that matter, I invite you to contact me via PM
You are confusing couple of things here Your GENERAL Knowledge with Global general knowledge, which hasnt been updated in sometime, Vladivostok has the biggest cable bridge in the planet plus it will have one of the largest aquariums in the world along with a gambling region similar to Macau, has seen unusual economic,social activity in relation to asia pacific regions, the end route of the trans Siberian, at some point the largest navy fleet in the pacific now is second to China I think, hosting the most well know summit when US president Ford and Brezhnev signed some treaty that will KEEP Germny unarmed for life thats a very good reason for you in Germany not to hear about that city!

PS
Kaliningrad is a Russian city that is known in Germany but not in Russia LOL

vinttt liked this post

Last edited by Nubian_Warrior; June 14th, 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien