daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2541
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

Moscow

http://vk.com/leonadze

http://vk.com/dimanchik0

http://vk.com/sensans

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2542
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
The highest tower in western Europe, the Millennium Tower in Frankfurt (at least 350m) is still planned.
That will happen but only in your wet dream mate bcos the mighty moscow is already building 510m tall building.

Radiokott liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2543
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Only in your wet dream mate bcos the mighty moscow is already building 510m tall building.
Lakhta Center in Saint Petersburg- 463m. U/C

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/satarof/view/720382/

Ekaterinburg

http://www.google.ru/url?sa=t&rct=j&...xdyF95F3WcsJxg

Radiokott, vinttt liked this post

Last edited by VitMos; June 16th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
VitMos no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2544
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
That will happen but only in your wet dream mate bcos the mighty moscow is already building 510m tall building.
so you think Moscow is in western europe? lol
Sid Vicious no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2545
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8760

Quote:
But there was also talk of Western Europe. Not from Eastern Europe.
In any case, we would then be forced London to its knees.
KlausDiggy no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2546
cochise75
Fourbe des collines

Likes (Received): 29597

Paris, La Défense - By Cyril today :

image hosted on flickr

We'll always have Paris.

Jex7844, vinttt, aarhusforever liked this post
cochise75 está en línea ahora  
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2547
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree, Warsaw has some impressive buildings. My favourite is the Palace of Culture, one of the few skyscrapers in Europe one could classify as historic.

...an educational interlude if you may...
The Pasta tower in Warsaw was first skyscraper built in 1904 at 60m with 11 floors - like a castle. It was first structure made out of reinforced concrete. MUCH more historic than 'Palace of Culture'

The Prudential Tower in Warsaw was tallest skyscraper in 1931 at 18 floors
at 66m. It was in nice art-deco style. MUCH more historic than 'Palace of Culture'

The Germans were very jealous and tried to blow it up

And this is what the Russians did to it after (becuase the Germans could not knock it down lol). They turned a nice building into this monstrosity.

In the late 30's before the war broke out - Warsaw was planning the construction of another very tall art-deco tower in the centre. After the war - the Russians hijacked these plans and once again turned a nice building into the 'Palace of Culture'. It is only famous because of the controversial nature of what it was designed to symbolise - the 'desired' Russian dominance over Poland. There are many less famous examples of these towers in Moscow. The Palace of Culture will apparently be turned into a museum of communism.

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; June 16th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
FreeeSpirit no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2548
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondro View Post
Well, I'd rather have a beautiful city center and skyscrapers "on the outskirts" than a center with no historic value.
center.
Integrity and Soul are more important. Historical value is irrelevant when it comes to skylines. As established on this forum - American skylines are most impressive - and American cities have very little 'historic value'.
FreeeSpirit no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2549
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
so you think Moscow is in western europe? lol
He wrote like the tallest building in europe in his original post. Pls dont criticise if u dont know thoroughly.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2550
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
The reality is that there are surprisingly few cities worldwide recognisable to even a tiny percent of the world's population - even some pretty well known cities.

Who (sports stadiums aside) would really be able to recognise the skylines of Manchester, San Diego, Perth, Oslo, Calcutta, Durban, ...

Man seriously? what is it about Manchester that you can recognize ? old trafford stadium ? I can only recognize Manchester if I see Wayne Rooney scoring a goal in old trafford

Again San Diego? hmm I mean I love the city and I've lived there for sometime but again if you live in India or Thailand or Greece you cant just recognize San Diego by its skyline, its much easier when it comes to San Francisco because of the (GG) bridge , and please dont even attempt to squeeze Oslo,Calcutta or any Scandinavian city in that category believe me ( I personally havent seen these cities on this website nor even planning to travel there any time soon no offence intended)

Last edited by Nubian_Warrior; June 17th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Nubian_Warrior no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2551
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubian_Warrior View Post

Man seriously? what is it about Manchester that you can recognize ? old trafford stadium ? I can only recognize Manchester if I see Wayne Rooney scoring a goal in old trafford

Again San Diego? hmm I mean I love the city and I've lived there for sometime but again if you live in India or Thailand or Greece you cant just recognize San Diego by its skyline, its much easier when it comes to San Francisco because of the (GG) bridge , and please dont even attempt to squeeze Oslo,Calcutta or any Scandinavian city in that category believe me ( I personally havent seen these cities on this website nor even planning to travel there any time soon no offence intended)
I think it was his exact point
Quicksilver no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2552
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 906

^ I was about to say the same thing

Quote:
He wrote like the tallest building in europe in his original post. Pls dont criticise if u dont know thoroughly.
Mate you even quoted him saying 'Western Europe' so who are you trying to fool?
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2553
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I think it was his exact point
I used my phone to read it so didnt have a full view of his post but I guess I agree with him, but then I think Vladivostok is still a known city you can recognize it by its large cable bridge and many people in Asia, Oceania and North America know about that city!

Last edited by Nubian_Warrior; June 17th, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Nubian_Warrior no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2554
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:

Awesome!
LondonFox no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #2555
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
Mate you even quoted him saying 'Western Europe' so who are you trying to fool?
He edited the original post before i was fast enough to response him. I have been writing you guys only on my phone as i am out until now. Anyway nobody will be able to compete with moscow in terms of height and total number of supertalls.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #2556
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
Integrity and Soul are more important. Historical value is irrelevant when it comes to skylines. As established on this forum - American skylines are most impressive - and American cities have very little 'historic value'.
Dude, are you trying to tell me that this skyline:

(I know we were talking about Paris, but hence the last post was generalised and I don't have any good photo of Paris' historical center skyline and Prague is said to have "hundred-towered" skyline and one of the best historical skylines in the world...)

is shit because it does not has monstrous glass-concrete-steel skyscrapers between the medieval churches in the historical center? I say that if you look at a skyline of a city that goes like historical towers in the front and mighty world-class skyscrapers in the background, it looks way better than just a bunch of skyscrapers with no value whatsoever. It has soul, it has integrity, it has contrast. I bet you have never been to any city with a historical center and never saw a skyline of any historical city.

Even better - London. You have a nice mixture and contrast between the old and the new.
And the best of the best is if you have historical skyscrapers and city center maybe not that old, maybe not medieval, but with that spark of history and feeling of the past contrasting with modern architecture, which is the reason why New York is so wonderfull.

And you are arguing, that we don't eevaluate the whole city, just its skyline. If we evaluate just the look of the skyline, why is it so important for you to be the skyscrapers district alive at night? I think you are just being anxious that you don't have a historical city center in your city and want to feel that your city is superior over major european metropoles just because it is "USA-like" making various excuses on the way. Which is the oldest and most famous complex of people of post-commie countries. USA is not the leader in skylines anymore, most of places in most of the top 10 lists were taken by asian countries recently although NY may be still the best in the most of these lists.

Every city is beautiful, every city is unique and yes, Warsaw is too, but it is not better than London, Paris, Moscow... Just get over it. I advice you to move to another country and try living there for some time, then you will stop having those pseudopatriotic thoughts and pseudopatriotic ego and realize the real value of cities you visit and stop comparing them with your hometown because you are comparing uncomparable, everyone here tries to tell that to you. If you have really been to Paris or London, you would never say words you say now, because you would realize the uniqueness and uncomparability of the both cities.

You can't even compare types of urbanism, for example, in Paris and in London. It is just so unique in its way, just for example, Paris looks a little bit "artificial" or "unnatural" which is not bad, because of the whole urban planning thing, but in detail, you see that every skyscraper is different and that it has the diversity you would expect and you may find the whole esplanade thing amazing piece of engineering and urban planning and find it brilliant. London, on the other hand, looks more natural from perspective as it looks natural in detail, you see the development you would expect, with little urban planning, but still gorgeous. Maybe you could find it a bit messy in closer look, however, with the best of the best architecture in the world and the most unique buildings that became icons and inspiration for many. That being said, I would sum it up that London and Paris style of development has its... well, I can't find the word, because they are not really advantages and disadvantages, they are just feelings, good and... and not even bad feelings, just different, maybe a little bit... I don't know... contradictive feelings? I think that is hard to understand what I really want to say but it is also really hard to express it Not talking about Moscow, that is a separate case... However, I have not been to Moscow, so I can't really tell.

Last edited by Ondro; June 17th, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
Ondro no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #2557
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitMos View Post
Moscow

there's no doubt that moscow is such an underrated city. i think this is because of the political reasons and i guess it has something to do with the russian government's engagement in the international affairs. this city truly deserves to be ranked among some of the world's finest global cities. dude the other day i was watching a new action film called "a good day to die hard" which is entirely shot in moscow and in this film you can see a bit of the rising mighty moscow skyline as well. tall buildings in moscow business centre were barely visible when other european rivals such as frankfurt and la defense already had a huge amount of tall buildings in their central business districts back in the day, but hey look at moscow which has already joined "the big four" of europe and as the matter of fact, it is now one of leading skylines in the entire europe and in terms of height it is untouchable. i am totally impressed by the architecture, height, potential and future projects of this mighty city. Go Russia!!!

croomm, Radiokott, Silent soul, vinttt liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #2558
SO143
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

The Day's last City Lights by _flowtation, on Flickr

vinttt, timo9 liked this post

Last edited by SO143; June 17th, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #2559
SO143
BANNED

apologies for the enormous size of this panoramic shot of the financial capital of eurozone "frankfurt"

scroll as much as you can >>>

image hosted on flickr

Eschborn und Frankfurt Skyline by frawolf77, on Flickr

vinttt, KlausDiggy liked this post
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #2560
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
Awesome!
yeah mate after overall consideration of many aspects such as quality, quantity, dynamism, icon, potential, height, originality, creativity, architecture, design, colour, light, total number of proposed/approved 100m+ buildings etc i think london is no.1 in europe as it is the only city that has two massive world class financial districts and skylines which are both growing with a significant rate and competing each other in their own ways.
SO143 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien