daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 13th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #3221
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

The wise owl said.
SASH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #3222
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8762

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-22 View Post
Some people in this thread dont seem to understand the difference between skyline and skyscraper.
A skyline is not just a collection of buildings. Since the difference in height of individual buildings plays an important role. So do not talk such nonsense.

7rani liked this post
KlausDiggy no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #3223
SASH

An enhanced old(er) Photo

image hosted on flickr

Rotterdam by SASH 010, on Flickr
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #3224
SASH

Rotterdam

image hosted on flickr

_DSC5174.jpg by Sander Strijdhorst, on Flickr

vinttt liked this post
SASH no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3225
SASH

Rotterdam 'Kop van Zuid'

image hosted on flickr

RED APPLE PANO by Jimbography ;-), on Flickr
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #3226
F-22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
A skyline is not just a collection of buildings. Since the difference in height of individual buildings plays an important role. So do not talk such nonsense.
I reckon you desperately need to get your cranium checked if you acknowledge the pictures below express the definition of skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdoug View Post
Paris the best, isn't it??????

vinttt, Birmingham liked this post
F-22 no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #3227
F-22
BANNED

Quote:
Let me educate you a little bit my European friend. This is what we call the "skyline" picture. Scroll >>>

image hosted on flickr

LONDON by dwayne miras, on Flickr
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #3228
SypsiloN

Likes (Received): 444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
Rotterdam has a nice skyline, but in order to be the best of Europe the city needs to go to the next level. Taller building and more interesting architecture are necessary to keep up with the rest.
Somewhat true, but "the rest" is "only" Moskow, Frankfurt, London, Paris and maybe Warsaw......

But a comparison between these city's isn't really appropriate. Rotterdam has a diff. dynamic than the other mentioned city's.
Firstly as you know London, Paris and Moscow are the main (and large) capitals of large European country's. R'dam isn't the capital of the NL, large company's are mainly based in A'dam. Secondly the only city of the aforementioned city's that is smaller than Rotterdam is Frankfurt, but that is the hart of the European banking System, which made a large part of their Skyline possible. That of London in a similar sort of way, they profited heavily on the (deliberate) lack of regulation on their banking system, which attracted a lot of US and other (investment) banks in the past two decades. Rotterdam on the other hand is all about it's Port, which is essentailly not about "high buildings" in city centres but consist of vast streches of docks, chemical, oil and gas faclity's, etc.

Last edited by SypsiloN; August 14th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
SypsiloN no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3229
SASH

@ F-22
I posted Photo 1 (the front site of this Building), just to give an good idea/impression of the new Residential Building '100 hoog'. On Photo's 2 and 3 you can see how the building stands compered to it's surrounding area.

The Rotterdam is so huge. It is a small Skyline of its own.

Quote:
Love or hate it!
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1479 by hofsteej, on Flickr
SASH no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3230
KlausDiggy

Quote:
I reckon you desperately need to get your cranium checked if you acknowledge the pictures below express the definition of skyline.

Excuse the little misunderstanding.
No reason to be equally offensive.

vinttt liked this post
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #3231
KlausDiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SypsiloN View Post
Somewhat true, but "the rest" is "only" Moskow, Frankfurt, London, Paris and maybe Warsaw......

Secondly the only city of the aforementioned city's that is smaller than Rotterdam is Frankfurt, but that is the hart of the European banking System, which made a large part of their Skyline possible. of docks, chemical, oil and gas
If you compare the population of the two cities, Frankfurt is greater than Rotterdam.

Frankfurt has 690.000 inhabitants in the city and in the Rhine/Main Metropolitan Region 2,2 million inhabitants.(Wikipedia | Frankfurt)

Rotterdam has 616.000 inhabitants in the city and in the Metropolitan Region 1,2 million inhabitans.(Wikipedia | Rotterdam)

vinttt liked this post

Last edited by KlausDiggy; August 14th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3232
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by SypsiloN View Post

But a comparison between these city's isn't really appropriate. Rotterdam has a diff. dynamic than the other mentioned city's.
Firstly as you know London, Paris and Moscow are the main (and large) capitals of large European country's. R'dam isn't the capital of the NL, large company's are mainly based in A'dam. Secondly the only city of the aforementioned city's that is smaller than Rotterdam is Frankfurt, but that is the hart of the European banking System, which made a large part of their Skyline possible. That of London in a similar sort of way, they profited heavily on the (deliberate) lack of regulation on their banking system, which attracted a lot of US and other (investment) banks in the past two decades. Rotterdam on the other hand is all about it's Port, which is essentailly not about "high buildings" in city centres but consist of vast streches of docks, chemical, oil and gas faclity's, etc.
To be fair I see exactly where he is coming from...

Rotterdam has an EXCEPTIONAL Skyline for a City with such population. When compared to other European Cities with similar populations, i.e. Birmingham, Manchester etc, its a true accomplishment.

Haha yeah, i also like the bit about the London banking system lol. Its true and the British know it - its what keeps London the financial centre of the world, its just now London is running out of room for companies AND people. 100,000 People are moving to London each year, and companies keep moving their HQ's to London - most recent is "Total" and that Chinese phone company "Huewei" is it? Either way, they will all be doing their financing in London which means more floors space!

So the only valid answer now is for London to build UP to accomidate such demand. And that's what London is doing.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

vinttt, Jamsterx, Quicksilver liked this post
Bligh no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3233
F-22
BANNED

Quote:
@ F-22
I posted Photo 1 (the front site of this Building), just to give an good idea/impression of the new Residential Building '100 hoog'. On Photo's 2 and 3 you can see how the building stands compered to it's surrounding area.

The Rotterdam is so huge. It is a small Skyline of its own.
I can understand your desire but you should not derail the "best" european skyline thread by constantly dumping tons of irrelevant pictures. Besides, even if you consider that building you quoted above can be classified as a small skyline on its own I still don't think it belongs in this thread which is not genuinely about small european skylines.
F-22 no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3234
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
If you compare the population of the two cities, Frankfurt is greater than Rotterdam.

Frankfurt has 690.000 inhabitants in the city and in the Rhine/Main Metropolitan Region 2,2 million inhabitants.(Wikipedia | Frankfurt)

Rotterdam has 616.000 inhabitants in the city and in the Metropolitan Region 1,2 million inhabitans.(Wikipedia | Rotterdam)
Correct, but you're talking about the urban areas, not the metropolitan areas. Those have about 5.5m and 7.5m inhabitants, respectively (if you count the the whole Randstad for Rotterdam, which includes the other major cities of Amsterdam, The Hague and Utrecht).
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3235
SypsiloN

Quote:

You're right, I ddn't check, I thought Frankfurt had a pupulation of around 500 to 550.000. Don't know were I got that from.

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by SypsiloN; August 14th, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3236
SypsiloN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
To be fair I see exactly where he is coming from...

Rotterdam has an EXCEPTIONAL Skyline for a City with such population. When compared to other European Cities with similar populations, i.e. Birmingham, Manchester etc, its a true accomplishment.
Yep, city's of that size and nature are probably more fitting for a comparison.

And to complete my answer lot of the Rotterdam High rises are residential (I'm guessing about 60 % ??). In comparison; those in London, Moscow, Paris and Frankfurt are mostly comercial.
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #3237
SypsiloN

Quote:
Haha yeah, i also like the bit about the London banking system lol. Its true and the British know it - its what keeps London the financial centre of the world, its just now London is running out of room for companies AND people.
You may thank PM M.Thatcher for that........and PM's like Blair for sustaining it aka looking the other way.......

(and by the way; probably to say "thank you" Blair got a nice advisory position at J.P. Morgan Chase)
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3238
SASH

Quote:
I can understand your desire but you should not derail the "best" european skyline thread by constantly dumping tons of irrelevant pictures.
SASH no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3239
Alexenergy

Likes (Received): 1044

MOSCOW

Автор - chistoprudov
Old August 14th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #3240
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Its true and the British know it - its what keeps London the financial centre of the world
...until the gov does something about current tax system which allows big companies to pay little or no tax...
what a crock!

Quote:
when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
LOL! Was this Johnson bloke some kind of stand-up comedian?
FreeeSpirit no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien