daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3581
cochise75
Fourbe des collines

Likes (Received): 29784

Paris-La Défense, by Steph35 / Piéton :

image hosted on flickr

Paris par -pieton-, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Paris La Défense par -pieton-, sur Flickr

We'll always have Paris.
cochise75 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3582
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

Likes (Received): 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoforumitalia View Post
Milan, from the dome of the "Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II".
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #3583
DCFC1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
And that's why Londoners move elsewhere by the tens of thousands every year. Perhaps you should stop trash talking and accept that other cities have advantages. London scores well in some areas, but poorly in others.

More photos and less city bashing?
It's all about opinions and mine are pretty obvious ,but I'm not trying to be too negative regarding your city and certainly not 'bashing',and you're on the European thread afterall...

I think Toronto looks spectacular in many many photos and no doubt it's a great city with a great future.. I just feel European cities such as London have way more variety in architecture, which because this is about skylines, is not taken into account when making comparisons.
DCFC1 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #3584
indie kid

Likes (Received): 156

1. Frankfurt
2. Paris
3. Moscow
4. London
5. Istanbul
6. Warsaw
7. Milan
8. Vienna
9. Madrid
10.Rotterdam
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3585
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10797

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1 View Post
It's all about opinions and mine are pretty obvious ,but I'm not trying to be too negative regarding your city and certainly not 'bashing',and you're on the European thread afterall...

I think Toronto looks spectacular in many many photos and no doubt it's a great city with a great future.. I just feel European cities such as London have way more variety in architecture, which because this is about skylines, is not taken into account when making comparisons.
Fair enough. I agree that SSC is prone to valuing a city solely based on its skyline. European cities are in catch up mode in that regard, but it's not fair or accurate to look no further than a city's skyscrapers. That said, this is a skyscraper site so that's why people are here. It's to be expected whether it's fair or not.

It's interesting that you find European cities to have more variety in architecture as that has always been my greatest criticism of them, it's 90% European in nature. They do have more history behind them, but they also seem far more uniform than where I live. Europe is usually postcard perfect, but after a while I know exactly what to expect around the next bend. It becomes very predictable. London is less like that due to its demographic make up and cosmopolitan nature, but it was certainly something I noticed in Helsinki and even Paris.

I view north America as refreshing because it's a total mash up of cultures, architecture, language, smells, religion, fashion, etc. It's not always pretty, often jarring, but you never know what to expect around the next corner. It's a sensory overload, and never ever boring. Perhaps not all north American cities are like that, but certainly the big immigrant cities are.

I hope people don't take offense to anything I've said, as it's not my intent.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; September 17th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3586
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

Likes (Received): 1778

I don't normally spam this thread with lots of picture of Milan, but it seems that, in these days, italian photographers are giving us great shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoforumitalia View Post
MILANO again:

[IMG]http://i42.************/2mwdl36.jpg[/IMG]

by Gix_ba

aarhusforever, vinttt liked this post
Apteryx no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3587
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6893

FRANKFURT

still king imo

image hosted on flickr

_MG_3242 von Taverner auf Flickr
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3588
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Quote:
I hope people don't take offense to anything I've said, as it's not my intent.
No worries, mate..You are entitled to your opinion

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #3589
GammaHamster

Likes (Received): 524

http://kirbase.livejournal.com/45691.html

Old September 18th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #3590
werner10

Likes (Received): 841

Rotterdam by Eric Offereins

by michiel
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #3591
REL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

vinttt liked this post
REL no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3592
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Fair enough. I agree that SSC is prone to valuing a city solely based on its skyline. European cities are in catch up mode in that regard, but it's not fair or accurate to look no further than a city's skyscrapers. That said, this is a skyscraper site so that's why people are here. It's to be expected whether it's fair or not.

It's interesting that you find European cities to have more variety in architecture as that has always been my greatest criticism of them, it's 90% European in nature. They do have more history behind them, but they also seem far more uniform than where I live. Europe is usually postcard perfect, but after a while I know exactly what to expect around the next bend. It becomes very predictable. London is less like that due to its demographic make up and cosmopolitan nature, but it was certainly something I noticed in Helsinki and even Paris.

I view north America as refreshing because it's a total mash up of cultures, architecture, language, smells, religion, fashion, etc. It's not always pretty, often jarring, but you never know what to expect aroud, as it's not my intent.

strange but I got the exact opposite impression.
Sid Vicious no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3593
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

París does have a homogeneous city center... And it's very known for that. But if you go to other neighbourhoods you can see more diversity.

Helsinki isn't really big enough to be that representative.

In fact any city isn't really representative of all Europe (as we are United in diversity) .

There are really homogeneous countries like Netherlands... It's not always the same but you feel the similarities everywhere.

Germany also tends to be homogeneous but it's much less noticeable than in Netherlands, and sometimes not noticeable at all in cities.

But most cities are really diverse in architecture.

I also think that European cities tend to be more diverse, of course that can't be true in the 100% of the cases, but I have the impression that North American cities are "glass facades" everywhere while the old almost ruined houses are made of wood (because if not, it would have been covered with glass decades ago) and with ticky tacky made sprawls.
OriK no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3594
vinttt

Likes (Received): 13978

Moscow

http://kirbase.livejournal.com/45691.html
vinttt no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3595
Bhound

Likes (Received): 42

Moscow

The last three pictures of Moscow are just awesome.

vinttt liked this post
Bhound no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3596
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4012

Be interesting to see how these skylines develop over the next 6/7 years.

Especially Moscows considering there is a lack of any future construction after this main lot is built.

La Defense is certainly building well and if the Hermitage Towers go ahead and completed by 2019 then unless something is proposed of similar magnitude in London, Frankfurt, Istanbul or Moscow I cant see anything topping it although the magnitude of London developments is quite prolific for a European city but it's difficult to envisage the true impact they will have.

What exactly are the current statistics for cities in Europe??

Just having a brief look:

London (above 100m)

Under Construction = 11

225m (City)
181m (City)
163m (City)
160m (City)
155m (City)
150m (Canary Wharf)
136m (Canary Wharf)
134m (Croydon)
133m (City)
130m (Canary Wharf)
115m (City)
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3597
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post

Especially Moscows considering there is a lack of any future construction after this main lot is built.
some new projects in the MIBC
288m 65f | 288m 60f

50f

31f 105m

113m

160m
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3598
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
strange but I got the exact opposite impression.
I suppose a lot depends on what cities one compares, but home always feels like a mad chaotic mash-up after a European vacation.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 18th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #3599
tk780

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriK View Post
Germany also tends to be homogeneous but it's much less noticeable than in Netherlands, and sometimes not noticeable at all in cities.
That is strange. I would say German cities are some of the most heterogeneous in Europe.

Ji-Ja-Jot liked this post
tk780 no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #3600
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
I suppose a lot depends on what cities one compares, but home always feels like a mad chaotic mash-up after a European vacation.
do you agree that the difference between Ireland and Greece or lets say Portugal and Sweden or Germany and Italy is bigger than the difference between Florida and California or Texas and Oregon...
I dont mean the landscape but the diversity between the cities and towns. My feeling is that nearly every city and town in the USA looks very similar. I mean you got everywhere the same storechains and fastfoodchains. Unfortunately the developement goes in that direction too like everywhere else in the globalized world. But it is still a major difference between e.g. Edinborough and Dubrovnik.

aarhusforever liked this post
Sid Vicious no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien