daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4361
WMS
BANANED BY VOLT CENTERTEL

Likes (Received): 2355

by Polex

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfos View Post
Scroll >>

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4362
mlody89

Likes (Received): 1993

warsaw

by awik
image hosted on flickr

by Xander2210, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

by www.itineri.de, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

by dawid.martynowski, on Flickr

Last edited by mlody89; November 6th, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
mlody89 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #4363
cochise75
Fourbe des collines

Likes (Received): 29597

Paris-La Défense, by Steph35/Piéton :
image hosted on flickr

DSC_0287 par -pieton-, sur Flickr

Paris Front-de-Seine, by Gregory Jista ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/fiftyheight/ ) :
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We'll always have Paris.

Highcliff, vinttt, Union.SLO liked this post
cochise75 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4364
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7148

I really don't understand this fights among second tier european skylines. Is it so wrong to say that Rotterdam, Warsaw, Milan, Den Haag belong to the same group? They have a similar number of highrises and only few skyscrapers.

I was suggesting something different: how integration of old and new can be a plus for a skyline, and I was dividing european skylines in two groups, the one with "A-la-Corbusier" clusters, and the one with Frankfurt-style, mixed clusters.

This is an objective distinction. I prefer the Frankfurt model, but this is just my opinion.

I don't get why SASH is so prompt to bash Milan, I understand he has a soft spot for waterfront skylines, but i'm convinced we should all welcome diversity as a plus factor. Among the second-tier group, Rotterdam has a wonderful highrise skyline on the pier, Milan has an unique skyline combining daring modern towers, international style classics (Pirelli, Galfa) to the gothic pinnacles of the Duomo, Warsaw has a compact and dense cluster, where some new quality towers are finally catching up with the outstanding Palace of Culture and Science.

aarhusforever, KlausDiggy liked this post
Fab87 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4365
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

To all forumers following this thread. Werner10 posted this Photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH View Post
Hoe triest is dit? Mijn foto gebruikt!

image hosted on flickr

ib_37C0080 / Montevideo by Skyline City / Canvas en posters, on Flickr
In dutch there is writen that this picture was taken by my (SASH) and that ***************** had (mis)used it.
The confusion arose because the picture looks like a cutout of a picture made ​​by me.
I want to make clear that this picture is taken by *****************.

aarhusforever, vinttt liked this post
SASH no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4366
SASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab87 View Post
I don't get why SASH is so prompt to bash Milan
I'm not bashing Milan. I just don't agree with Apteryx. The skyline of Milan does not belong in the category of Warsaw, Istanbul and Rotterdam.
Milan is category The Hague and Vienna.

Quote:
I understand he has a soft spot for waterfront skylines
More or less correct.
SASH no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4367
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Madrid:

image hosted on flickr

Skyline de Madrid by Carlos Javier Pérez, on Flickr

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

KlausDiggy, vinttt, Dakaro liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #4368
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Quote:
I'm not bashing Milan. I just don't agree with Apteryx. The skyline of Milan does not belong in the category of Warsaw, Istanbul and Rotterdam.
Istanbul is first tier, I'm sorry Warsaw and Rotterdam are not.

Rotterdam and Warsaw are for sure closer to Milan and Vienna, in terms of prominence and scale than they are to Paris or Frankfurt. By far. Rotterdam and Warsaw are the "best" second tier skylines, because they started a long time ago. Milan, Vienna and The Hague are the new stars catching up.
With City Life Milan is defo catching up with Rotterdam, maybe not with Warsaw, but it already belongs to the same group.
Also, Milan is not only building towers, but revamping huge dismissed areas and filling them with stunning architecture and greenery, which also means new vantage points on the skyline. The scale of projects like City Life (building a new cluster from scratch) has few rivals in Europe.

LP2, aarhusforever liked this post

Last edited by Fab87; November 6th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Fab87 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #4369
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2716

What is the reason for London's 2 clusters?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4370
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
What is the reason for London's 2 clusters?
Basically the City of London (the Square Mile) is the original financial centre, so tall buildings have helped to accommodate a high demand for office space. Canary Wharf used to be London's docks, but then in the 1960s, cargo transportation became a big thing, which meant bigger ships. The docks weren't able to handle these huge vessels (the Thames wasn't deep or wide enough to comfortably accommodate them) and so the docks stopped their operations, fell into disuse and became a bit of a wasteland. Plans were drawn up to regenerate the area, and it eventually became Canary Wharf, creating a second financial centre in London (1 Canada Square was the first tall building to be completed, in 1991)...and it's just been growing since then. The regeneration drew businesses to the area, and again, skyscrapers were deemed suitable for the area to cope with demand.
So yes, that's it basically!

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]

www.sercan.de, Bligh liked this post
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4371
SASH

Quote:
Istanbul is first tier, I'm sorry Warsaw and Rotterdam are not.
Istanbul could be first tier within short time. That is what I already said in post # 4354

Quote:
Rotterdam and Warsaw are for sure closer to Milan and Vienna, in terms of prominence and scale than they are to Paris or Frankfurt. By far.
If you are walking around in Milan, you don't see a glimpse of the Skyline. You have to get in the duomo or an any other building to find out that Milan has a skyline.
When you approach Rotterdam and it doesn't matter if this is by car or train, you directly notice the skyline.
I have the feeling that Milan can build another 10 to 20 high-rises, but some how the city is not suitable for a skyline.

seb.nl liked this post
SASH no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4372
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

Likes (Received): 1778

Quote:
Istanbul could be first tier within short time. That is what I already said in post # 4354

If you are walking around in Milan, you don't see a glimpse of the Skyline. You have to get in the duomo or an any other building to find out that Milan has a skyline.
When you approach Rotterdam and it doesn't matter if this is by car or train, you directly notice the skyline.
I have the feeling that Milan can build another 10 to 20 high-rises, but some how the city is not suitable for a skyline.
Because Milan has a HUGE metropolitan area, the city itself has 1.3 Mab in just 181 km^2, with a density of 7128,76 ab/km²; Rotterdam has half population with a density of 1933,14 ab/km².
Basically Rotterdam is a flat city with large amount of water and many spots where the skyline can emerge.
Around Milan there's another 2.5 Mab with small amount of free land (just southbound).
The medium height of Milan's buildings is the reason why we have to move away or going up to better see the skyline, but you can have a clear view even from 50 km away (Bergamo); around the financial district we have buildings with 10 or more floors (40 meters) that's the reason why the skyline looks smaller than it is.

I remember I read somewhere that the medium heigh of the buildings in Milan is 10 floors, but I can't find the source now, so I can't confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piterpan View Post

Anyway this is a second class skyline in my opinion, even without the Citylife Cluster

vinttt, Fab87 liked this post

Last edited by Apteryx; November 6th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Apteryx no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4373
SASH

Just for the record. The municipality of Rotterdam has an area of ​​319 km2, of which is 113 km2 water and 206 km2 is land. Of those 206 km2 land the port and industrial area is 136km2 (biggest Port in Europe!). So The habitable area is only 70km2! That gives a density of 8814/km².

image hosted on flickr

Rotterdam18mei2011 by superdupercaddy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rotterdam_Rotterdam by superdupercaddy, on Flickr

Anyway this is a second class skyline in my opinion, even without a Citylife Cluster

KlausDiggy, Erhan, vinttt, seb.nl liked this post

Last edited by SASH; November 6th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
SASH no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4374
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

Likes (Received): 1778

Quote:
Just for the record. The municipality of Rotterdam has an area of ​​319 km2, of which is 113 km2 water and 206 km2 is land. Of those 206 km2 land the industrial area is 136km2 (biggest Port in Europe!). So The habitable area is only 70km2! That gives a density of 8814/km².
Interesting, wikipedia doesn't give such informations. I don't have the same value for milan, without the "parco agricolo" a natural protected area on the south side of the city.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4375
LP2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Rotterdam skyline looks really massive and nice from that angle.
LP2 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4376
Twister2010

Likes (Received): 640

Frankfurt | Germany

image hosted on flickr

copyrigh by flowtation
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4377
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8760

Frankfurt

by panorama-frankfurt.de

vinttt, Union.SLO, aarhusforever liked this post

Last edited by KlausDiggy; November 7th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #4378
Juggernaut92

Likes (Received): 86

Frankfurt

[IMG]http://i41.************/2mmu1r5.jpg[/IMG]

Picture by Reuters
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4379
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

Likes (Received): 26381

Vienna:

Old November 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #4380
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Quote:

Most people arrive in Milan by train. The central station is located inside the Porta NUova cluster. For many many people, the first thing they see about Milan is the cluster. And trust me, the view is quite perfect.
Also, when you land in Linate you have a clear view on Porta Nuova towers. If you arrive on a shuttle from the Malpensa airport, you pass right next to City Life.
If you arrive by car, you see the skyline quite clearly from the Tangenziale Est.

The city is dense, with an average height of buildings of about 25-30m. So it's true, Milan has to be better than Rotterdam to reach the same prominence.

But there are a lot of vantage points. Apart from the views you get when you arrive by car, train or plane, there are places like Monte Stella, Parco Nord, Collina dei Ciliegi. Not only the Duomo. If you are in the city center, you are basically INSIDE the skyline area. So it's rather difficult to have a complete view on the thing, but there are loads of cool perspectives with a modern tower standing next to an historical church, which also adds quality to the skyline, imho. Everything is "skyline", not only the far away shot.

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien