daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 31st, 2014, 12:39 PM   #5641
Good

Likes (Received): 595

Well it is strange that you appreciated so much Bordeaux then, because for me it is very similar to Haussmanian Paris in some way : beige shades, rigorous planning, harmony.

As for the "villages" in Paris, the key is to wander through the arrondissements out of the beaten tracks : 16th, 19th, 20th, 13th... and use a good travel book because they are often hidden (behind gates, in one-end ways, uphills, etc.). I myself discovered these areas only recently, and realized I frequently passed by these neighborhood without even paying attention !
Good no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:51 PM   #5642
Cujas
European

Likes (Received): 1082

The city of Lille in the north of France is influence by Flanders. And the center of France is tipical frensh style.

Because of his position in Europe, France as been influence from thousand year by a lot of culture all over Europe. From North to South, and Est to West.
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:53 PM   #5643
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Well it is strange that you appreciated so much Bordeaux then, because for me it is very similar to Haussmanian Paris in some way : beige shades, rigorous planning, harmony.

As for the "villages" in Paris, the key is to wander through the arrondissements out of the beaten tracks : 16th, 19th, 20th, 13th... and use a good travel book because they are often hidden (behind gates, in one-end ways, uphills, etc.). I myself discovered these areas only recently, and realized I frequently passed by these neighborhood without even paying attention !
Well, the architecture was somewhat similar but it has that unique feeling to itself. The city was so much more organic and pavements, trams, wine/cheese shops were gorgeous. It was very apparent that the city was naturally grown by itself. The city was very very clean and safe. I also like the people. They were very warm, friendly and helpful in Bordeaux, unlike Paris. Maybe I just came across a few meanies in Paris. By the way you guys have way too many immigrants in Paris. I was in the heart of the city and everyone was African and Arab. (Nothing against Africans/Arabs. Just there were many and it was a bit strange)

Anyways, I should take a nap. It is 5 am here.
Good afternoon Europe!
doguorsi2 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:25 PM   #5644
Erhan

Likes (Received): 10512

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
This is why I am proud to be European Actually, Turkish member Erhan has the best pictures of Istanbul. I am really impressed with the pictures he finds.
You can find some of them here :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=228812
Thanks but they aren't my pictures, I just find them on various websites.

I merged the skylines from my previous post to make a complete panoramic view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
That said reducing Paris to Haussman's planning is very unfair, as the city itself still boasts 2 very large older neighborhoods (from the Middle Ages to XVIIIth century) in Le Marais and Saint-Germain-des-Prés/Quartier Latin +numerous pockets of villagey areas (Montmartre, Butte aux Cailles, Mouzaia, Auteuil, Passy, etc.). Grand Hausmannian boulevards indeed criss-cross Paris urban fabric, but the streets in-between are far more diverse than people expect and are really worth exploring.
I agree, Montmartre is the area I appreciated the most during my visit to Paris, I just walked around there for hours without getting bored
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5645
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1287

I can only imagine how beautiful it would be the skyline of Istanbul in the future, it really shows a big potential of being something huge (it already is), and in that way it match's the city perfectly. Istanbul was and it will always be a must see.
Architecture lover no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #5646
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

Quote:

source; facebook
Oh my God, these shots are marvellous!! The combination of modern skyscrapers, the wonderful waterfront and the minarets of mosques is just breathtaking..
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:22 PM   #5647
Denjiro
Heathen

Rotterdam

from www.musakatendrecht.nl

Baboulinet, vinttt liked this post
Denjiro no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:24 PM   #5648
Denjiro
Heathen

Istanbul, Gateway to the Orient

image hosted on flickr

Pentax K-3 Test Shots by Hasan Şama, on Flickr
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:25 PM   #5649
Erhan

Likes (Received): 10512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
I can only imagine how beautiful it would be the skyline of Istanbul in the future, it really shows a big potential of being something huge (it already is), and in that way it match's the city perfectly. Istanbul was and it will always be a must see.
I don't know how the future will be for Istanbul because of strange height restrictions in the main cluster area (Levent), but the near future (~2015) will be something like this:

Edit: This pic is a bit old, some buildings are already T/O and there are a few more new projects that should be added...

aarhusforever liked this post
Erhan no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:26 PM   #5650
Denjiro
Heathen

Istanbul, Gateway to the Orient

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Is...nd_skyline.jpg

Time Lord, Ji-Ja-Jot liked this post
Denjiro no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:28 AM   #5651
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Istanbul looks bloody Amazing!
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:35 AM   #5652
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
I don't know how the future will be for Istanbul because of strange height restrictions in the main cluster area (Levent), but the near future (~2015) will be something like this:

Edit: This pic is a bit old, some buildings are already T/O and there are a few more new projects that should be added...
I have already seen that picture before and my conclusion was made mainly by that picture. One for sure, it will be something pretty impressive.
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:43 AM   #5653
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Istanbul is nice, I should go there some day.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:05 AM   #5654
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Istanbul is nice and all but as a bad Turkish habit, the municipality doesn't have any plan. They just build random buildings in random places and expect it to look well blended within the city. Especially, the Anatolian side of Istanbul is a nightmare. Ghettos right next to billion dollar worth investments, very little green, outrageous traffic, the fundamentalist government and its ridiculous Islamic/Seljuk view of architecture which doesn't fit Istanbul or Turkey at all.

Istanbul should be ruled by western minded, qualified Turkish people who value the European way of life. So that the city can get what it actually deserves and regain its glorious shine. Seeing 8000 years old Istanbul in its current situation makes me wanna cry.

Erhan, vinttt liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM   #5655
vinttt

Likes (Received): 13980

Moscow

cat-morphine
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM   #5656
Denjiro
Heathen

Moscow

image hosted on flickr

*** by PhoenixRoofing164, on Flickr

vinttt, aarhusforever liked this post
Denjiro no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM   #5657
Architecture lover

Quote:
Istanbul is nice and all but as a bad Turkish habit, the municipality doesn't have any plan. They just build random buildings in random places and expect it to look well blended within the city. Especially, the Anatolian side of Istanbul is a nightmare.
You're pretty right about that, but building randomly stuff doesn't always have to be the main problem, you can even look on that issue like it's something positive.
I mean every skyline has its pros and cons and sometimes it's not that bad for a skyline to have randomly build stuff around it, it will make it even more playful and interesting for watching. The last time we were discussing I've told you that probably Moscow is the best (right next to London) for my personal preferences, but sometimes I think it's very uniformed (I can deal with that ). Like I've already told you there is no need for getting worry because every skyline has it's own marks. The most important about building randomly stuff is not to forget to put some classy towers right next to it, and as I can see from that photo rendering on the right site of the bridge there was some pretty tall towers and they were looking pretty classy and a little bit twisted (I am talking about Dubai towers, but as far as I know they got canceled, but it doesn't really matter because I am sure that Istanbul will see something as huge as they were in the near future). Not every city needs to look very uniformed, or very sophisticated. Look what they've done to Shanghai, not every one looks as good as the main trio over there, but it's definitely one of the best skylines in the whole world.

vinttt liked this post

Last edited by Architecture lover; February 1st, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5658
sk327

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
I didn't know that Istanbul had height restrictions. What the tallest allowed?
sk327 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:17 PM   #5659
Cicoz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

Turkey is not a European country, isn't it?
Cicoz no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:56 PM   #5660
Denjiro
Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicoz View Post
Turkey is not a European country, isn't it?
Turkey is a contiguous transcontinental country, located mostly on Anatolia in Western Asia, and on East Thrace in Southeastern Europe.

Istanbul is a transcontinental city. Its commercial and historical center lies in Europe, whereas a third of its population lives in Asia.

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien