daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #5841
LASF
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
Istanbul is not even on his list hehe It is cute.
Hum... I just realised it too. :/

Last edited by LASF; February 8th, 2014 at 01:51 AM.
LASF no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #5842
TimeAndTide
U.S. Bank Tower, LA

Likes (Received): 1187

Quote:
Istanbul is not even on his list hehe It is cute.
As much as I like Istanbul skyline ( and city ), for me it's not part of Europe ( in terms of culture and traditions ). This my own point of view, and I claim some respect about it.
I would rank Istanbul something like 5th in tough Asia ( Hong-Kong, Shangai, Singapor, Tokyo, even Manilla...).

Avemano, Radiokott liked this post
TimeAndTide no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #5843
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAndTide View Post
As much as I like Istanbul skyline ( and city ), for me it's not part of Europe ( in terms of culture and traditions ). This my own point of view, and I claim some respect about it.
I would rank Istanbul something like 5th in tough Asia ( Hong-Kong, Shangai, Singapor, Tokyo, even Manilla...).
The Earth is flat and you fall into the space at the end of the ocean. This is my opinion and I claim some respect about it too!

Brad liked this post

Last edited by doguorsi2; February 8th, 2014 at 02:19 AM.
doguorsi2 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #5844
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASF View Post
Uum.. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions and I do respect that but I am really curious to know that do you really think the skylines of napoli, Barcelona and bruxells etc are better than London? If so, why and what are the advantages of these skylines that London lacks.?
It lacks cohesion to me. There are nice buildings per se (I'm thinking of the Shard, the Lloyd's Building, 30 St Mary Axe), but not an overall coherence you have in many other cities.

Don't get me wrong, the Shard is probably my favourite European skyscraper now, but the feeling to me is that of a collection of buildings, rather than a compact true skyline.

Avemano liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #5845
TimeAndTide
U.S. Bank Tower, LA

Likes (Received): 1187

Quote:
The Earth is flat and you fall into the space at the end of the ocean. This is my opinion and I claim some respect about it too!
Ok, I get it.
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #5846
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
It lacks cohesion to me. There are nice buildings per se (I'm thinking of the Shard, the Lloyd's Building, 30 St Mary Axe), but not an overall coherence you have in many other cities.

Don't get me wrong, the Shard is probably my favourite European skyscraper now, but the feeling to me is that of a collection of buildings, rather than a compact true skyline.
So you do believe that Barcelona has more cohesion than London?
Architecture lover no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:37 AM   #5847
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

I didn't make that list and I'm not comparing cities because it's pointless. I was just giving you my 30-sec analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of London. I think I can speak more of London since I've lived there, rather than Barcelona, where I've only wandered for a few days, always half-drunk.
Stravinsky no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #5848
Architecture lover

I get it, but the question of LASF was made like this: If so, why and what are the advantages of these skylines that London lacks.?
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #5849
LASF
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry. But Istanbul is part of Europe and Turkey is also in NATO. Istanbul belongs to Europe cities/skylines list.

Quote:
This is my way to take the mick out of some offensive english dude.
Teasing with elegance and respect.
Ok I understand but you know that you can always report the problem to a member of staff. You will only make the conflict worse if you retaliate the trouble maker with the same "wrong attitude" and "offensive" words.
LASF no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #5850
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
This is my way to take the mick out of some offensive english dude.
Teasing with elegance and respect.
Well, your motive for what you posted was lost on me too. I think you unintentionally ended up being offensive to others as well and I would guard against that.

Also, geographically, Istanbul is in Europe.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #5851
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Excuse me, but Turkey is closer to arabic culture than european culture. In My Opinion ...

Avemano, Radiokott liked this post
7rani no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #5852
Architecture lover

We don't discuss about Turkey over here, we discuss about skylines. I really can't understand why do you prefer this off-topic more than a real discussion, they may not have the same culture as we have, but geographically Istanbul is still in Europe. Find another forum where you'll be able to discuss about cultures.
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #5853
LASF
BANNED

Quote:
Big LOL.
London isn't Europe, just the capital city of the 51st state of America.
Quote:
If you consider the cultural identity, Turkey is in Asia. There's nothing european in Turkey.
But I can understand turkish people here, they prefer to compete against european skylines. To compete against HK, Shanghai, Singapour, Dubai or Tokyo would be an undertaking destined for failure...
Quote:
London, better than Moscow and Frankfurt ?
Do the Brits smoke some prohibited substances, or is it just some genetic arrogance ?

Cheers

Paris
A little bit of respect please.

Both Istanbul and London are in Europe. Please travel more.

Last edited by LASF; February 8th, 2014 at 04:56 AM.
LASF no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #5854
doguorsi2
BANNED

I am Turkish with Greek origin. I am an atheist coming from a Greek orthodox family but I have many friends that are muslims even though most of them never practice religion. I look European. I act European. I live the life of an average European person. I respect European values and I am proud to be a European. Herodotus is from my home town. Istanbul was the capital of the Byzantine Empire and Turkey is a secular democratic southern European country. The western culture was created in my hometown, Bodrum(Halicarnassus), literally. The language we speak is not even middle eastern/Semitic. After all Europe is not even a continent but a sub continent just like the Middle East. I certainly don't appreciate the "only France is Europe" attitude. We both know that Turkey and the UK are major European countries whether you like it or not.

I am not going to discuss this further because it is ridiculous and irrelevant, especially in this thread. It seems like "you" don't want me in the club but I am still pushing myself in which is not the case. I am just saying who I am. It is not up to anyone else to decide. Spaniards are so different than Scandinavians. Brits are so different than Turks and Italians are so different than Ukrainians but we all come together and create this amazing mixture of cultures even though we were killing each other only a few decades ago. This is what makes Europe such a rich and an amazing place. I see that so much clearer since I moved to the USA and look at my homeland Europe from America. Again, embrace differences between all European countries in order to enjoy the richness of overall European culture and feel proud to be a European. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

LASF, Erhan, rdgnrdgn, aarhusforever liked this post

Last edited by doguorsi2; February 8th, 2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #5855
7rani
BANNED

Quote:
I am Turkish with Greek origin. I am an atheist coming from a Greek orthodox family but I have many friends that are muslims even though most of them never practice religion. I look European. I act European. I live the life of an average European person. I respect European values and I am proud to be a European. Herodotus is from my home town. Istanbul was the capital of the Byzantine Empire and Turkey is a secular democratic southern European country. The western culture was created in my hometown, Bodrum(Halicarnassus), literally. The language we speak is not even middle eastern/Semitic. After all Europe is not even a continent but a sub continent just like the Middle East.
Ouhla, I touched a deep wound ...
Let's Get back to the subject ...
My ranking of this month:

1)Paris
2)Frankfort
3)Moscow
4)Warsaw
5)London-Canary warf
6)Rotterdam
7) Milan

Avemano liked this post
7rani no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #5856
Architecture lover

But the name of this thread says "DISCUSS: Best European Skyline", it does not say "DISCUSS: The Differences Between The Countries In Europe", or even worse "Which One Is The Best European Culture". Why do you all push this conversation about cultures most of the time instead of discuss about skyscrapers. Instead of discussion about such a beautiful stuff like skylines, we are discussing about the differences between the European cultures. Absurd!
I give up, white flag from Architecture lover, I'll come back if you ever learn how do we need to discuss in this thread and how do we not need to discuss.

Erhan liked this post
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #5857
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASF View Post
A little bit of respect please.

Both Istanbul and London are in Europe. Please travel more.
These were some of the posts that I was talking about, If I could only find some others of 7rani, but I it's too late because most of them were deleted before several moths. The mods can finally see that it is not LASF the one that should get a ban.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #5858
doguorsi2
BANNED

Baku/Azerbaijan(I am not certain if this counts as Europe or not but Azerbaijan is in the Euro sub forum so I post here)

source: hok.com

vinttt, aarhusforever liked this post
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #5859
7rani
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
These were some of the posts that I was talking about, If I could only find some others of 7rani, but I it's too late because most of them were deleted before several moths. The mods can finally see that it is not LASF the one that should get a ban.
Nice (but failed) try, not so clever.
As you see, I am respectful in all my posts, I just politely express my humble opinion.

Avemano liked this post
7rani no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #5860
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55225

Obviously, somebody didn't read my previous post... "as far as SSC is concern, Istanbul is a european city and its should be the end of the argument".

The next dude bring up this subject again will be automatically brigged. You've been warned!!

doguorsi2, Erhan, LASF, QuantumX, rdgnrdgn and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Yellow Fever; February 8th, 2014 at 05:41 AM.
Yellow Fever no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
москва, baku, berlin, brussels, cities of europe, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, kyiv, london, milan, milano, moscow, moskau, paris, rotterdam, vienna, vilnius, warsaw, warszawa, wien