daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM   #61
hifive605

Likes (Received): 35

oh and these apartment blocks should have large window and livable balconies - but we all now how much UK developers hate those..
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM   #62
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive605 View Post
first off if we stopped calling them flats but apartments instead I think then much of the sigma would go away.
In Manhattan agents are calling them "flats" to sound grand and British.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #63
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds

Likes (Received): 22

An englishman's home is his leasehold designer slum flat.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM   #64
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictanya View Post
i think the top photo is rather unfair. it is one bombed block in the middle of kensington, surrounded on all sides by beautiful, high density historic buildings.
I don't think it's unfair, because I was making a point about the built environment from the last few decades and how the flats featured in the programme, though rather dull and characterless, are 'less bad' than much of the modern housing that lots of us grew up with and are surrounded by.

Incidentally, a flat in that block you pointed out sold for 900 grand! Imagine... almost a million quid for a flat in a building without any merit whatsoever other than its location in Kensington and its ability to keep the rain out... Utter madness.
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM   #65
cosmictanya

Likes (Received): 3359

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnapan View Post
I don't think it's unfair, because I was making a point about the built environment from the last few decades and how the flats featured in the programme, though rather dull and characterless, are 'less bad' than much of the modern housing that lots of us grew up with and are surrounded by.

Incidentally, a flat in that block you pointed out sold for 900 grand! Imagine... almost a million quid for a flat in a building without any merit whatsoever other than its location in Kensington and its ability to keep the rain out... Utter madness.
doesn't surprise me - would be double if it wasn't ex council. somebody got a great bargain on council discount. tor court isn't it? i've always quite liked it

you can see by the garden & planting that it isn't as unloved and ill kempt as the other three examples. that was why i said it was unfair.

it isn't ugly - just utilitarian. germany for one has ample examples of utilitarian post war buildings. the suburbs of madrid out by alcobendas are repulsive - and still being built.

i get what you mean - i basically agree. french & italians do care more about design. but i don't find the uk to be uniquely hideous in europe - i've seen just as bad, en masse, in germany, spain, and scandinavia.
cosmictanya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #66
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictanya View Post
i don't find the uk to be uniquely hideous in europe - i've seen just as bad, en masse, in germany, spain, and scandinavia.
Agree entirely.
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: