SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Planned Soccer Stadium in Downtown Tampa

28K views 156 replies 27 participants last post by  mcy03970 
#1 ·
So this is news that has been making its rounds around the soccer world, that could potentially lure MLS back to Tampa. Apparently plans are for a $400m stadium of 28,000 seats that could be expanded to 40,000 and will be built by 2016.

Interestingly enough, they plan to build it just north of the Forum. Also it should be noted that Vinik is a board member of Liverpool FC.

All of that being said, I think this is more fictitious or a pipe dream and don't really seeing this becoming a reality, but what do I know. However, I do prefer soccer and would love to see the MLS back in the area.

Links from multiple sources:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/11/28/report-tampa-soccer-specific-stadium-plans-works

http://www.vsi-stadium.com

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-posts/florida-group-looking-to-build-new-400m-soccer-specific-stadium/

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2012/nov/28/major-league-soccer-may-return-to-tampa-with-400m-ar-578282/

See less See more
#2 ·
It very well could be more than a pipe dream. Well, MLS may be a pipe dream, but a SSS in down town could happen within the next few months. According to VSI they are planning on a temporary stadium of 6-8K seats for next season. This is the same type of build used in Vancouver and other cities for stadiums meant for a couple of years. These builds take as little as 1-2 months planing and then 4-16 weeks actual construction, which fits being open for the 2013 USL Pro season. They are also reasonably inexpensive.

Here is a pic of the temporary stadium from their website:

If someone could correct me if I am wrong, but Vinik has always been saying he was planning on another stadium in Channelside, but he never said what sport. We all assumed it was MLB, but he could have been in negotiations about this the whole time.

I think that this is great, and we will know what happens within a few weeks, which makes it even better. As everyone that follows soccer in Tampa has said, the Rowdies really need to step up their game if they are going to compete with VSI. Even though USLPro is technically D3 the level of play is arguably just as good as NASL (D2). That and pretty much any casual fan does not care if soccer is D2 or D3, but a SSS lends a TON of credibility to the team.

#4 ·
From what I read on the VSI site, it seems they'll have the temporary stadium tampasteve posted and build the permanent stadium right next to it at the same time.

Being that it seems like Vinik is behind it, considering the only land that could handle a temporary stadium and another stadium is the same land Vinik owns or owns through a group, I have more faith that this is more than a pipe dream and there is some substance to it. Have to wait and see what happens, but I see this happening 1000x more than a baseball stadium in downtown.

#5 ·
IMO, if VSI gets this SSS built in Tampa the Rowdies are going to be crowded out of the market pretty fast. They have a decent fan base now, but most are casual fans that would rather stay on the Hills. side of the bay and see the game played in a real soccer stadium, but a poorly configured baseball stadium.

If this plan goes through the Rowdies need to make some big moves fast or risk loosing a fair portion of their fan base to VSI. The Rowdies had a shot, but that stadium plan fell through and they never have made any moves to get back on track for the SSS, then they committed to Al Lang for several more years with hardly any improvements to the game experience. The Rowdies are hanging onto the marketability of their heritage name, which will only go so far.

#6 ·
Attendance wise, the Rowdies have been one of the outperforming teams in the NASL when it comes to it. The team had an average of 3100 in attendance for this past season and the 2011 season. When in Tampa in 2010, the average attendance was just 800 more.

That being said, the Seattle Sounders average attendance last season was at 38,500, so marketing the Flames to not just the Tampa Bay market but also maybe the Orlando market will have to be seriously taken to drive up attendance numbers. Heck, maybe even develop a deal with the Storms or Lightning where you buy a Storms or Lightning ticket and get a Flames ticket half off.

#7 ·
Good point, marketing in the whole Tampa metro is a great idea for any team. One thing the Rowdies seem to forget is to actually market the team. Right now they have been coasting on the general demand for the game in the market without really putting much out in terms of mass marketing.

In regards to Orlando, they already have a very successful USL Pro team, so likely that would make a great rivalry, but not really help ticket sales - unless they are playing each other.

It is worth noting that when the Rowdies (or FC Tampa Bay as they were at the time) were playing in Tampa is was the first season, but it was also in a terrible stadium situation. The infield dirt was not covered with grass as they allow in Al Lang. So, the newness of the team likely attracted some, but the stadium situation was a real turn off for many.

A SSS is not a magic talisman, but it does create a ton of excitement and legitimacy for any team.

#8 ·
After doing more research and reading more into it, I agree with both of you that this is whole project is not a pipe dream, like I initially thought it was. I think the key factor here as one of you stated is Vinik, not only do he and his partners own the land in question, but he is also deeply involved in Liverpool FC, which add great merit and substance to this going forward.

TampaSteve brings up a good point about the Rowdies. If this goes through (which there seems like a good chance of it happening), the Rowdies will need to make some significant move or otherwise they will be crowded out of the market. They have a decent fan base, but Al Lang field limits them in so many ways. That being said, could the Rowdies move yet again back to Tampa and into this new SSS? IMO this would be the best for them and their future as a soccer organization.

#9 ·
But the stadium already has the Flames. And I doubt the stadium would be able to have two teams, due to both schedules of the MLS and NASL and the opposition both or one side will have to such an idea.

We'll likely be getting more information heading closer to Dec. 11 when VSI is suppose to unveil to business and politicians the plans and stadium. For $400 million, either this will be one hell of a stadium or the $400 million includes everything, including the clinic, temporary stadium, and training fields complex in Brandon. If the latter, we're probably talking about a $250 million stadium which is still in the range of priciest stadiums. Seattle Sounders stadium cost almost $500 but that also includes tens of thousands more seats because CenturyLink also hosts the Seahawks.

#15 ·
The MLS season is about as long as MLB (mid March to October). NASL and USL are considerably shorter. But, clearly the stadium can be used for other events apart from soccer. Thinking outside, they could use it for lacrosse, concerts, or really anything else that other stadiums are used for. That spot is a good location for a mid size stadium like this, far better than an MLB stadium as we most all agree.

#20 ·
Valid points. However, if this is planned for the wasteland that is north of the Forum then anything that adds infill can help that area. We are not just talking about a SSS, we are also talking about a $250m medical center. That empty wasteland takes a HUGE portion of the CDB, so IMO, a couple of acres dedicated to a decent stadium there coupled with a medical center is a great use. Much better than a empty lot that those are now - and without this project will likely be for at least another decade to come.

#152 ·
Valid points. However, if this is planned for the wasteland that is north of the Forum then anything that adds infill can help that area. We are not just talking about a SSS, we are also talking about a $250m medical center. That empty wasteland takes a HUGE portion of the CDB, so IMO, a couple of acres dedicated to a decent stadium there coupled with a medical center is a great use. Much better than a empty lot that those are now - and without this project will likely be for at least another decade to come.
I saw this and it reminded me of an article that I saw a week ago.

#21 ·
VERY interesting tweet today from Bob O'Malley, Florida Regional VP for CSX:

Looking forward to taking the @Tampastreetcar to the first @rowdiessoccer vs. @VSITampaFlames friendly in the new stadium!

Which implies they are very much zereod in on Channelised since CSX would likely have an idea since they own ROW/tracks right near much of the land were talking about.

#35 ·
But seriously, I think that something like this is better suited out around the fairgrounds. Definitely not in the CBD in my opinion. Even over in west Tampa somewhere would be better than down in the Channel District.
Why? CBD I understand, but Channelside? Downtown and near downtown SSS have been incredibly successful since they switched from building them way out in the suburbs. Portland plays in the heart of downtown and it is a huge boost to it since they moved the minor league baseball out of it.

DC is going to build theirs just south of Downtown, but in DC proper and an area more developed than Channelside. Houston just built their stadium an an underutilized parcel in downtown. Livestrong in KC is about the distance your talking about, but soccer and youth go together in the US and think downtown is a great location in Tampa.

Portland

Houston

#27 ·
When I was looking at other MLS stadiums, it surprised me how far some stadiums were from the main cities, like Kansas City's and Dallas' teams. It would be like placing a stadium in Pasco or even Hernando County.

At the same time, I can see many uses coming from a soccer stadium. I've stated some, but there's a dozen more. Would be cool to do one Lightning game outside the forum in the stadium if could.

#38 · (Edited)
^^ I can think of a million better uses, but with hundreds of millions of investment that will draw hundreds of millions more of mixed use development. Waiting for someone to build things there if they actually are ready to build now is ridiculous. Tampa needs momentum to get things built here and a project like this would have a ton of momentum. While I understand what your saying -- but the kind of concerts events and use of the SSS's across the country is similar to the almost completely completely booked up forum.

Also I think you think a soccer stadium is MUCH bigger than it is. Unlike a baseball stadium it would only take a couple of blocks. And create awesome opportunities for 10 to 30 story building over looking the water and the stadium.

As for "if they come" I think it comes down to the experience. Lighting sell out because it's great fun, This team needs to do that, not what the Bucs do.

#39 ·
Soccer stadium in Tampa? Don’t hold your breath

Steve Davis

Nov 30, 2012, 9:48 AM EST
CARSON, Calif. – I tried hard last night to find a person remotely connected with MLS who would add even a spoonful of credible weight to the Tampa stadium story that we told you about yesterday.

I had expressed skepticism that it would happen, and even more that a Major League Soccer franchise would ever develop out of it.

Turns out, I wasn’t skeptical enough.

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati had not even heard of the project.

MLS vice president for communications Dan Courtemanche said commissioner Don Garber heard about it the same time as the rest of us – when news stories began appearing.

That doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t serious players with serious money to spend. It just means they aren’t moving in the right kind of circles here, and that doesn’t portent well for their chances of completing the MLS circle here.

Best guess: this $400 million, 28,000-seat project goes the way of similar stadium proposals that come and go periodically: they hit the water with a substantial news splash, but then just drift harmlessly out to sea, never to be heard from again.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/soccer-stadium-in-tampa-dont-hold-your-breath/

#40 · (Edited)
[/url]
SSS Tampa by Gonzo1033, on Flickr

Example of what kind of footprint this would have using PPL Park in Philly, much smaller than that of a baseball stadium. It fits on that slot of land almost perfectly.

As for the article, everything at this point is pure speculation, heck it doesn't even sound like our city officials have heard of this let alone anyone at MLS. December 11th we should find out much more.

#41 ·
If this all goes through, which I still believe will, be cool to have some area of recognition or remembrance of the Tampa Bay Mutiny. Even though they were short-lived, a history plaque or something would be nice. Carlos Valderrama lives in Clearwater, get him on board with this if they can.

#43 ·
That would be a nice touch. We should know a lot more after the press conference. There are just so many unknowns, including the actual location of the proposed stadiums.

#47 ·
They also have a large operation on Portugal in Rio Major. That facility seems very similar to what they are proposing for Tampa. 6,500 seat stadium, sports training and medical facilities, on site living. Below is a pic from their Europe website.

#48 ·
Umm..... if it's on the Channelside/Vinik land, hopefully they don't do a separate building like that on the land. What I'm imagining is them connecting the sports medicine center to the permanent stadium. Hopefully. Also, no parking lots!

#51 · (Edited)
That is exactly what I was going to say. It must be an urban stadium with no parking lots around it like most stadiums have. Same can be said for the sports medicine complex, hopefully it is built up rather than spread out over 1 level of flooring. IMO it should be molded after the Portland Timbers Stadium. It has everything I think should be included in the design, including: South end stage, no surrounding parking lots (the picture shows some, but Google Earth gives you a better idea) and then a multi-leveled facility connected to the stadium. Throwing in some retail around the base would make it that much better.

Hopefully, December 11th we can find out more, but no guarantees depending on who exactly was invited and how hush hush everything is going to be kept. So far this whole thing has been hush hush so that's what I'm expecting to continue.

*Edit* So I just saw a post on Facebook from the page Tampa's Rivewalk, commenting on this and suggesting that this stadium should be built on the Tampa Heights property along the river. Never really thought of that idea 'till now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.