daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #141
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I like Wrights plan for Baghdad. Traditional, modern and tasteful.

"Traditional" is not how I'd put it...

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #142
J Simpson Br

Bell towers in the St. Peter Basilica, by Bernini.

http://berninisrome.com/Berninis_Rome/Bell_Towers.html

Brko, JustHorace liked this post
J Simpson Br no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #143
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Those were actually built, but were not structurally sound and were thus later demolished in the early 18th century, if I recall correctly.

Caravaggio liked this post
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:01 AM   #144
hateman

Likes (Received): 1801

Neo-historical design for new Boston City Hall:

To replace this anti-urban brutalist slop:
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:30 PM   #145
HURZ

Likes (Received): 62

That would be ideal! Do you have any further informations?
HURZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:59 PM   #146
hateman

Likes (Received): 1801

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURZ View Post
That would be ideal! Do you have any further informations?
Sadly it's only the graduate thesis of Aaron Helfand, a student of Notre Dame's architecture school (one of the few with a classical architecture program). More info here: http://anarchitecturalhumanism.blogs...city-hall.html

Nevertheless it caught the attention of the public when he submitted to the Boston Globe. Helfand was a resident of Cambridge, i.e. a Boston local. Usually it's locals who care the most about the vernacular architecture and cultural heritage of their hometown. Unfortunately political and architectural leaders usually have greater ambitions and visions of international grandeur. Hopefully they don't forget where they come from.

Although the last mayor had ambitions to demolish and replace the brutalist city hall, there are no such plans now. However one of the support structures, the brutalist Government Center Garage, another one of Boston's ugliest buildings is slated for redevelopment (in typical bland modernist style):

http://www.governmentcentergarageredevelopment.com/
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #147
Marsupilami

Likes (Received): 11265

I have some news: The chapel for Rancagua, Chile, designed by Gaudí, is actually going to be built. After 100 of fundraising, the comitee has the money and the location.
Rio de Janeiro-Cabo Frío-Búzios-Lima-Máncora-Piura-Chimbote-Huacho-Chancay-Buenos Aires-La Plata-Oslo-Bergen-Skien-Ulefoss-Hareid-Ålesund-Bø

erbse liked this post
Marsupilami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #148
Brko
Yosemite Sam

Berlin - Schlosserweiterung und Dom (Raschdorff Julius)

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/

Phobos, Tiaren, erbse, Lolekibolek liked this post
Brko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #149
Brko
Yosemite Sam

Berlin - Gedenkdom für die Freiheitskriege (Karl Friedrich Schinkel)

J Simpson Br, Tiaren, Chimer, jpfg liked this post
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #150
Brko
Yosemite Sam

Berlin - Rotes Rathaus (Friedrich von Schmidt, 1858.)

Roman_P, Tiaren, jpfg liked this post
Old March 25th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #151
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Thanks very much for these designs, Brko. It's really interesting to see, which designs were chosen in the end.

Berlin Cathedral design:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brko View Post
In the end this cathedral by the same architect was build:

Berlin Cathedral by i_am_keef, on Flickr

National Memorial design:

Quote:
In the end only the spire was build:

Der Kreuzberg vom Gelände der Schultheiss-Brauerei by Jonny__B_Kirchhain, on Flickr

Berlin City Hall design:

Quote:
In the end this version by a different architect was build:

Das Rote Rathaus by Gertrud K., on Flickr

Brko, Sandstein, jpfg liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #152
Brko
Yosemite Sam

This is just beginning. Unfortunately, you will suffer (together with me) when you see all that amazing unrealised projects from Berlin and other european cities

Rotes Rathaus, Waesemann, Hermann Friedrich, 1861.

Rotes Rathaus, unknown architect

Rotes Rathaus, Nohl, Maximilian, 1858.

anomalia9, erbse liked this post
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #153
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

^ the first one appears to be the last one in the comment above it.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #154
CBRXCX

Likes (Received): 0

[IMG]/2015/1913-design-proposal-for-parliament-buildings-winnpeg/[/IMG]
CBRXCX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #155
CBRXCX

Likes (Received): 0

[IMG]/2015/1898-competition-design-for-belfast-city-hall/[/IMG]
CBRXCX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:41 AM   #156
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
Unbuilt designs for Berlin cathedral...
Excellent finds! Actually registered for the site to get access to the larger pictures. The selection provides a fascinating look at a truly eclectic range of designs... some more successful than others. Indeed, there are more than a few downright bad designs that serve as useful reminders that people back then were also perfectly capable of getting things quite wrong.

And there are some designs that are truly interesting as they seem to defy any kind of established style- the "two semi-freestanding towers" is a curiously common element in many of them. Quite a few look nothing like churches, and a great many actually look like they could pass for synagogues or mosques... indeed some of them (particularly when looking at the floorplans), if one didn't know what they were looking at and had to guess, seem more likely mosques than churches. I think there's an interesting thought exercise in this:

Getting it wrong

The schemes of Adler (top) and Eggert (bottom) suffer from the same problem: their domes are too large for the building they're attached to. In Adler's proposal all the individual parts are quite attractive but as a whole they don't work--the towers compete for attention with the dome, and Eggert has compounded his problem by seemingly grafting on a Romanesque cathedral to his building.

The issue is not so much the size of the dome per se but the design of the base- for the design to work the base would either have to be far larger (like St. Paul's or St. Peter's) or be a rotunda along the lines the Frauenkirche or Les Invalides where the base is completely subordinated to the dome and the two form a coherent whole. So, even if Eggert had taken out his Romanesque appendages, he would have been left with a dome just stuck on top of a cube- which still would not work.

Spielberg's scheme is another case where the parts are less than the whole- the cathedral building itself is handsome, as is the tower, but when welded together the result is completely nonsensical, with this gargantuan tower looming over what is by comparison a dainty jewelbox of a church.

Orth's first scheme is one of many that experimented with mixing multiple styles, but his combination of Gothicism and Neo-classicism falls flat and just looks weird. Also weird is the fact that from the side its dome also seems oversized while from the front it looks perfectly fine... suggesting that his design is in fact a square, something I will get to later.

Unusual designs

I'm terribly fond of von Diebetsch's designs, particularly these two:

The stylistic base seems romanesque, but there's more than a whiff of the Orient in them- which, upon digging, is unsurprising considering that he dabbled in Islamic architecture (whether he actually built anything, I don't know). The towers in particular smack of Mughal architecture, although a closer look at them turns up caryatids and clocks.

I suspect the reason I like them so much is the shape- octagonal, and thinking of we Ethiopians (well, more or less) and the fairly popular octagonal church for I could easily see them in an Ethiopian context. Which would be fantastic. I'd also imagine that explains why I like the designs of von Quast (top) and Schwatlo (bottom), they're also quite original- and I always like traditionalist architecture that manages to be original.

Improbable churches

And then there are those that seem less like churches and more like... something else. Take Radke's scheme, for example.

The fact that the towers are probably too large relative to the rest of the church aside, something seems very strange about it- it's too wide. Assuming one enters going down the nave, it would seem that there'd vast amounts of space on either side very far away from the altar. But that would actually be an assumption too far as the floor plan (larger version here) shows:

It appears that the altar is actually to the right of the main portal, as is the baptistry and generally most of the... church itself. Thus, there's this whole other half of the building that would just be... there. And a giant staircase to the crypt. It's a very strange design for a church. Indeed it seems better suited, if divided up, as the seat of a legislature- enough space for two debating chambers, a central rotunda, and then some.

And finally, revisiting Orth, we see that his second scheme, at least to me, appears far more coherent than his first, with the Gothic elements having been restrained, even if the towers still strike a discordant chord, and the building having been reconciled with it's "square-ness". But it's not the facade that seems strange, rather, it's the floor plan.

Do you see what I see? I see a mosque, complete with courtyard, minarets, qibla (let's pretend the "apse" is in the right direction for this), and dome! What presumably was to be a cloisters appears to be the forecourt standard to Ottoman mosques. The interior doesn't do all that much to counter this notion:

Rows of arched arcades, a central dome resting on pendentives... it's a classicised take on the Ottoman mosque! And finally just look at the rear facade facing the Spree:

It's certainly... exotic. I imagine had they built this there'd be no love lost between it and the PEGIDA people or whatnot. It'd be a very unusual church, that's for sure.

But what a variety of designs! And I didn't even mention the several (normal) gothic designs or (more conventional) neoclassical ones.

UnHavrais, Brko, erbse, Sandstein, Tiaren liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:43 AM   #157
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Also, I meant to post this:

http://www.ensba.fr/ow2/catzarts/index.xsp

The online archives of the École des Beaux-Arts... knock yourself out. You're welcome.

Brko liked this post
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #158
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1641

Simfan, you should know that none of the above cathedrals was derived of mosques. It is exactely the other way round. The archetype of Ottoman mosques is the Hagia Sophia in istanbul which is a byzantine church. All Ottoman designs are derived of byzantine designs, as are some of the designs above. You see, they use a purely christian floorplan, even Diebetsch's designs are christian in their roots. He combines the christian central church (San Vitale Ravenna) with free standing towers which of course has similarities with mosques, but still is a christian feature.
Same goes with your adoption that they look like synagogues. Modern (early 20 century) synagogoues are often use christian or byzantine design features. The archetype of the synagogue neither has a tower nor a dome.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #159
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

But of course I know that.
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #160
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Regarding the Berlin Cathedral, was it Wilhelm II who made the final decision on which design to build? He was the main financier of the project so I assume he made the choice, but any details would be appreciated.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, visions