daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Old March 17th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #1
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 4

What do you think is the prettiest city in the USA?

I just visited San Francisco this weekend, and I was just floored at the beauty of the city. From it's smart, liberal people to it's huge, green hills to it's year-long 60's-70's temperature, to it's relatively low crime rate, to it's clean downtown... there is nothing wrong with the city. Except prices. It's ludicrously expensive, with an average 3-person home costing more than 700,000 dollars and your "less than average" studio apartment running you 1400-1600 a month.

Successful, great cities are all liberal. From Madison (even though it's small) to Seattle to Boston to San Francisco- the greatest cities in the US are all notoriously liberal.

In the midwest, every city is ugly as hell during the winter, but during the summer I have to go with Minneapolis or Madison.

I'll add some pictures I took later- if this topic isn't locked.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 17th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #2
denvernative1982

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77
I just visited San Francisco this weekend, and I was just floored at the beauty of the city. From it's smart, liberal people to it's huge, green hills to it's year-long 60's-70's temperature, to it's relatively low crime rate, to it's clean downtown... there is nothing wrong with the city. Except prices. It's ludicrously expensive, with an average 3-person home costing more than 700,000 dollars and your "less than average" studio apartment running you 1400-1600 a month.

Successful, great cities are all liberal. From Madison (even though it's small) to Seattle to Boston to San Francisco- the greatest cities in the US are all notoriously liberal.

In the midwest, every city is ugly as hell during the winter, but during the summer I have to go with Minneapolis or Madison.

I'll add some pictures I took later- if this topic isn't locked.
Evidently, some cities are pretty and liberal only to those that can afford it.
I know that liberal cities are almost always expensive and conservative ones are cheap. I prefer living in a conservative town with an easy commute to a liberal one.

I think that alot of these "liberal cities" are liberal on social issues only, not on economic ones.
denvernative1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #3
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 1

Urban environments tend me more liberal than rurual, that's just a characteristic of urban environments. Cities aren't succesful and great because they're liberal, it's a characteristic of the city, not a factor involved in their development and success.

I have moderate views, so I'm not ripping on liberals, I'm just understanding how you came up with that.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #4
Steely Dan
facist lord of the cosmos

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
chicago isn't nearly as liberal as mad-town, but it's a million times better in my opinion.

chicago kicks major ass in the city department. so does NYC, and they have a republican mayor!

Last edited by sharptent; March 17th, 2005 at 01:27 AM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:19 AM   #5
Markitect

Quote:
...but during the summer I have to go with Minneapolis...
Downtown, or Uptown Minneapolis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider
Cities aren't succesful and great because they're liberal, it's a characteristic of the city, not a factor involved in their development and success.
Bingo.

Quote:
Cities aren't succesful and great because they're liberal, it's a characteristic of the city, not a factor involved in their development and success.
This just deserved to get repeated to be sure it gets proper attention and everyone can learn from it.

Last edited by Markitect; March 17th, 2005 at 01:42 AM.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #6
Badgers77
Hi

Quote:
Urban environments tend me more liberal than rurual, that's just a characteristic of urban environments. Cities aren't succesful and great because they're liberal, it's a characteristic of the city, not a factor involved in their development and success.

I have moderate views, so I'm not ripping on liberals, I'm just understanding how you came up with that.
See- that is misleading. Big cities, like Chicago, are not as much "liberal" as they are "voting for the democrats." Many minorities don't necessarily have socially liberal views- many are quite socially conservative- but they know that Republicans dont give a flying fuck about them and that their only chance is with the guys who care about the little guy, too. Houston is a very conservative town- yet John Kerry won it.

"Liberal Towns" are totally different from just "big cities that go blue."
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #7
Badgers77
Hi

San Francisco- although ridiculously expensive- is also probably the "best off" city in the US- ranking first in almost every category from biotechnology to other things. It dwarves the other "small city powers" like Minneapolis and Austin- although maybe not Austin when it comes to various computer things.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #8
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Agreed.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #9
ReddAlert
BANNED

Quote:
See- that is misleading. Big cities, like Chicago, are not as much "liberal" as they are "voting for the democrats." Many minorities don't necessarily have socially liberal views- many are quite socially conservative- but they know that Republicans dont give a flying fuck about them and that their only chance is with the guys who care about the little guy, too. Houston is a very conservative town- yet John Kerry won it.

Do you think the Democrats give a fuck about the minorities either--other than getting votes?
ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #10
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

Man, it really pisses me off that you make that assumption about republicans.

That's one of the main misconceptions, I'm a Libertarian and I'd be intepreted as not having a flying fuck about minorities, despite being one, but conservatives and republicans just have a different feeling about how certain social programs should be administered.

Democrats, at least the ones that are elitist liberals, are condescending towards many minorities and don't give a flying fuck either, they want the votes, they want to tell people what feels good, and don't care about really changing anything. They think they're in some way superior.

But I'm not a republican, being a libertarian, it's just fiscally I'm very conservative and I don't believe in certain things.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #11
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

Prettiest US city has got to be New York, and then SF.

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #12
ReddAlert
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine
Man, it really pisses me off that you make that assumption about republicans.

That's one of the main misconceptions, I'm a Libertarian and I'd be intepreted as not having a flying fuck about minorities, despite being one, but conservatives and republicans just have a different feeling about how certain social programs should be administered.

Democrats, at least the ones that are elitist liberals, are condescending towards many minorities and don't give a flying fuck either, they want the votes, they want to tell people what feels good, and don't care about really changing anything. They think they're in some way superior.

But I'm not a republican, being a libertarian, it's just fiscally I'm very conservative and I don't believe in certain things.
in my opinion..the democrat has always held the minority down. They like to make them think that only the government can provide and make them succesful with THEIR money and benefits. There are many black and hispanic people that have made their own money that are tired of this bullshit. They know that they can make their own future from hard work and sticking to something--not acting the stereotypical inner city minority like the democrats want.
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #13
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 8

San Fran is great...but I have to give a nod to Charleston and Savanah.
cwilson758 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #14
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

^Oh, yeah, you're right. Those cities are gorgeous. I guess I was thinking more in terms of larger cities.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #15
Badgers77
Hi

Democrats don't give a fuck about minorities, but liberals do- and democrats are kind of running on this "false idea of caring about minorities" much like bush is pretending hes super-religious.
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #16
ReddAlert
BANNED

politics doesnt care about color really...its all about votes. Seeing as whites are a majority of politicians...then the minority population is a major part of getting votes. I think we are going to see major changes when more minorities run for office....and I dont mean sideshows like Al Sharpton.

As for Bush being religious...I believe he is. We cant question what his private life is like...because we dont know. Starting the Iraq War is hardly a huge red slash against his Christianity.
Old March 18th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #17
Weedrose

As a right of center black man with radical anti-government friends I would say that San Fran is nice but I also like my own nati.
Weedrose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #18
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

SF, to me is the nicest city in America, but its so expensive(but thats another topic)..
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #19
krosejr

Likes (Received): 3

There are many pretty cities in our country...too many to name them all. Lexington is not the prettiest but I think she ranks up there. Here are a few pics....the downtown is very nice but what gives Lexington her charm is the 500 horse farms that circle her....she truely is a "city within a park".

Last edited by krosejr; March 27th, 2005 at 07:26 AM.
krosejr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #20
ReddAlert
BANNED

I really like Lexington...great pictures with the skyline in the distance.