daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:36 AM   #1
plxx

Likes (Received): 0

Post Living and working in US

For a while now I have heard that today living and working in US is getting pretty hard. I am from south-eastern Europe and I will be working in US for one year. I heard that the biggest problem financially is the health insurance. Can anyone please give me some information about the costs of things there. For instance price of rent, food, clothing and maybe entertainment.

Maybe I will extend my contract and stay for a longer time, so I hear that the country is going slowly down (economy, jobs, schools). Please can I have some opinions.

Thank you.
plxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

You will be whipped and chained until you produce the proper amount of output - without pay.

We have no doctors or hospitals here. We don't even know what "health care" is.

And you'd better watch out - everybody brings a gun around with them to shoot people at random.

But seriously ...

The price of everything depends on where you're going to be. If you're going to be in NYC, everything will be expensive. If you're going to be in Kansas City, everything will be cheap.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Nevie

Likes (Received): 166

Poor thing... his post looked too innocent as to be so sarcastic about it.

plxx: it's impossible to tell how life in the US will be like for you unless you give more details.

It all depends on the state, the city (or, even within a city, what area or street), what job you'll get, and what salary you'll have.

If you are here just for one year, I can imagine immigration required you to pre-purchase health insurance before entering the country/issuing your visa. Usually there are rather good deals for people in your situation, so I honestly do not think you'll be paying (or paid) too much for health care.

I am also European (although from the usually more prosperous western part of the continent) and, in MY situation, my financial situation here in the US is pretty much the same as it was back in western Europe. There is CURRENTLY no financial incentive for me to be on either side of the Atlantic. I am here because currently it suits my interests (in a broad sense), be those social, cultural, emotional, etc.

I do think, however (and this is a HUGE generalization) that America is a better place to be (very) rich, while (western) Europe is a better place for the middle class. But, then again, I consider myself as part of the latter and I am doing just fine in America, so what do I know

El Mariachi liked this post
Nevie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
plxx

I understand you, but can you give some numbers about the prices. Another thing, in YOUR opinion, do you think the country is going down slowly. I hear that in the future US will not be a good place to live and people outside US will avoid living in it (in the future).
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Likes (Received): 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by plxx View Post
I understand you, but can you give some numbers about the prices.
Here are the prices:
  • $2.99
  • A pretty penny
  • $83,900 (plus tax)
  • $0.13
  • $30-1000
  • An arm and a leg
  • $900,000,099 (with a $6 activation fee)
  • $200 (dead), $0 (alive)

Does that help? Of course, prices will be different depending on your weight, gender, attractiveness, and social class. Those at the bottom are selected at random and forced to fight the homeless for sandwiches and the chance to win America's Top Hobo Warrior.
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #6
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 1053

With (a) no kids, (b) no car, and (c) a roommate, you can live ok pretty much anywhere on fairly low wage. The exceptions would be Manhattan and San Francisco.

Healthcare is part of most jobs if you're full-time. Employer-sponsored insurance usually kicks in after six months. The new healthcare law is gradually changing the rules and I don't know specifics. Until you have insurance, be very careful. The costs are extortionate for a bunch of systematic reasons we don't need to get into here.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
plxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Until you have insurance, be very careful.
What do you mean BE CAREFUL. If you have insurance, why do you have to be careful.
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
mhays
Journeyman

Until....
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Nevie

Quote:
I understand you, but can you give some numbers about the prices. Another thing, in YOUR opinion, do you think the country is going down slowly. I hear that in the future US will not be a good place to live and people outside US will avoid living in it (in the future).
I just explained to you that it's IMPOSSIBLE to give you numbers or any further information unless you give us details of your variables (age, gender, state, city, job, salary, accommodation expectations, need of a car or not, etc etc etc etc).

Starting to wonder whether this is a troll or not.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Nevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
With (a) no kids, (b) no car, and (c) a roommate, you can live ok pretty much anywhere on fairly low wage. The exceptions would be Manhattan and San Francisco.
I would probably add La La Land, at least the neighborhoods that aren't two hours away from something (whatever that is) and that are not a shit hole.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #11
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Likes (Received): 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevie View Post
Starting to wonder whether this is a troll or not.
I think the answer is pretty obvious.
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #12
plxx

Im a 25 years old men that want to live in Massachusetts, Boston. I am a programmer with about $60.000 salary. I don't need a car , but I might rent one from time to time.
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #13
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 259

I saw a report that you can become a millionaire working minimum wage 40 to 50 hours a week and do plenty of sacrifices . Living in a very cheap studio and live not too far from your job , ride a bike to work still have cell phone , basic food , basic cable etc
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #14
plxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbbccc View Post
I saw a report that you can become a millionaire working minimum wage 40 to 50 hours a week and do plenty of sacrifices . Living in a very cheap studio and live not too far from your job , ride a bike to work still have cell phone , basic food , basic cable etc
I will be living alone in an one bed room apartment. Maybe I will do just fine.
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #15
weava

Likes (Received): 691

The US is so big and the economy is so varied that asking a general question won't get accurate answers. On the economy in my area, it is improving, new housing construction is at its highest its been since the recession 5 years ago; Boston has a lot of prestigious universities which keep its economy stable I believe. Housing in the suburbs is typically nicer/bigger units and tend to be low crime/good school areas,in urban areas it can be a crap shoot if its a good area or not.

Food/clothes/entertainment in the US is cheaper than most of Europe, but its also comes down to your tastes, you can wear a $5 t shirt or a $1000 suit, eat for $3 at taco bell or spend $30-50 at a nice restaurant. entertainment: You can spend $8 per month for netflix for cheap entertainment or you can spend $50/night at bars/concerts/etc.

Healthcare is also hard to answer, I know Massachusetts. has some kind of state healthcare plan where everyone is required to have health insurance.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #16
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 1058

Quote:
I will be living alone in an one bed room apartment. Maybe I will do just fine.
You'll be fine. Speak with someone in the area and they'll give you the details you need. For just you and that salary range I wouldn't worry.

I would, if I were you, practice adapting to sarcasm. It tends to be thickly applied in this country.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #17
plxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
You'll be fine. Speak with someone in the area and they'll give you the details you need. For just you and that salary range I wouldn't worry.

I would, if I were you, practice adapting to sarcasm. It tends to be thickly applied in this country.
Actually I like sarcasm and I enjoy it.
I read in news that a lot of americans are reaching bankrupcy because of health insurance bills. Is it real big deal this health insurance in US or maybe the media is just making it look like a big deal.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #18
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 1058

Quote:
I read in news that a lot of americans are reaching bankrupcy because of health insurance bills. Is it real big deal this health insurance in US or maybe the media is just making it look like a big deal.
The latter.

The humorous term is "first world problems," meaning what people in the US gripe about is typically far from the level of hardship experienced elsewhere around the world. Compared to what we want and how things have been in the past the avg US household might be having more struggles, but we're a far cry from the level of poverty to suggest a coup is needed or that visitors from foreign lands need to fret about what they'll find in the States.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #19
mhays
Journeyman

If you have insurnace through an employer, you probably have to pay a portion of most services, at a cost that should be easily manageable. If you don't have insurance, then something like a broken arm can and often does put people deeply in debt, often resulting in bankruptcy. You can buy insurance on your own but it tends to be very expensive.
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #20
plxx

For example, if I catch a cold and have to go to the doctor for a check. How much do I have to pay for controlling and medicine after that (With health insurance).