daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #41
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 452

Hacked around my previous schematics (original source Arup)
East West View

Plan View of NE Corner

From these I should be able to get an accurate count of how many seats each quadrant would produce but I bet its not the 3000 it needs to be...
In fact by my rough and ready calcs its only between 1500 and 2000, so a 6000-8000 jump on top 47,500 gives 53,500 to 55,500

Sponsored Links

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #42
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 3432

Firstly. Thanks for changing the title B4mmy. Much appreciated.

The survey questions eamiled to the fans by City.

jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #43
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

So JRB did you click Not Interested against?

Because I didn't and got a series of questions about how much I'd be prepared to pay.
And possibly because I'm in 201 I got all those questions/pictures about "improvements" on the second tier
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #44
Uomo Senza Nome

Likes (Received): 122

Good to see the use of simple feedback/spreadsheet marketing, impressed. Easy way to keep customers engaged and part of the club.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #45
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

However they did (unsuccessfully) attempt to be smart when fishing for 'acceptable season ticket prices' and failed miserably - offering the dearest options first and then reducing downwards - a simple case of not answering 'yes' until you got to the last one unraveled that little trick ...
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #46
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
So JRB did you click Not Interested against?

Because I didn't and got a series of questions about how much I'd be prepared to pay.
And possibly because I'm in 201 I got all those questions/pictures about "improvements" on the second tier
I clicked not interested Steve. I'm more than happy to stand with the cannon fodder in the singning section.(111)

TBH I think the questions are being targeted at those currently sitting on level 2.(my Mrs and Daughter) No doubt the club would like to move them en-masse to the new South Stand and North Stand 3rd tiers, if the demand is there? I'm sure a discounted season ticket could be one of the incentives to move.
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #47
jrb
10th February 2008

Plenty of activity today to get the public exhibition portacabin ready.

marni1971 liked this post
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #48
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3964

So, if that image on the side of the portacabin is true, then the expansion will be like the images DiscoSteve and myself previously put together on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post

Before:

After:

RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #49
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
So, if that image on the side of the portacabin is true, then the expansion will be like the images DiscoSteve and myself previously put together on this forum?
I don't think it is. Saying that, I've only just worked it out myself after initially thinking and posting the same thing on BM.

I've compared both pictures and came up with this.

Quote:
It was staring me in the face.

You can see exactly the same current cable/support configuration on the picture I took this Morning.

Compare both pictures.

So it is showing the East Stand after all, and the new seats that will link the 3rd tiers of the East Stand and South Stand, but not the actual South Stand itself.

My guess is that the new South Stand extension will be backwards and upwards, which includes the 3rd tier and new roof. It will either sit between the two smaller roof/cable supports in the picture, or they will go altogether, to make way for a bigger and more setback stand. :-?
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #50
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3964

I guess you could also say that an expansion like the one in my render doesn't exactly fit with the ambition of the club under ADUG. My hope is the expansion will show that both ends will eventually be expanded to take the capacity to 60,000, but there will still be ability to fill in each corner with around 2,500 seats, meaning the capacity of the Etihad could one day rise to 70,000.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #51
js1000

Likes (Received): 639

Can't see them getting 60k from putting a few row on the south and north stand. More of a 'removal of corporate facilities' for a few rows of seats.

Must be a catch somewhere? Maybe this drawing on the cabin is a red herring? I doubt they would have put this cabin up with actual proposed section drawings without announcing it publicly first.

Like I said on the Collar site page the other day - the key word on the cabin was PROPOSALS so this section maybe one of the proposed expansion plans on the table.

Last edited by js1000; July 11th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #52
petrusha

Likes (Received): 17

We know it's coming soon given that they're readying this portacabin to exhibit the plans, but multiple sources are suggesting that tomorrow will actually be the day.

As for the drawing on the cabin - it doesn't fit with what the club was briefing journalists 6 or 8 weeks ago, but no matter: we don't have long to wait to find out something official.

petrusha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #53
jrb
10th February 2008

Email from the club.

Plans to be made public tomorrow.

Quote:
Manchester City Football Club is exploring options to expand the Etihad Stadium.

The vast majority of matches are sold out and further demand for tickets remains. An expanded Etihad Stadium would allow more people to watch City with a range of new facilities and ticket prices to cater for all budgets. Extensive supporter research clearly indicates that there is a strong desire for more general admission tickets and a variety of matchday hospitality offerings.

Should the expansion go ahead, some areas of Colin Bell and East Stand Level 2 could be upgraded to enjoy an enhanced concourse and access to a private bar.

This could mean a direct impact on the area in which you currently sit. With this in mind we wanted to inform you of these proposals before they are communicated to the wider fan base.

On Friday 12th July, the exhibition which forms the first phase of consultation on the Club's proposals to expand the Etihad Stadium will open. We pride ourselves on our positive relationship with our fans and are therefore keen to seek your views on these proposals.

Just as we did at the outset of our plans to build the City Football Academy - now midway through construction - we have created a consultation facility to inform you of the Stadium Expansion proposals and to gauge your feedback.

There is nothing you need to do at this stage. We will contact you in the coming months as part of the on-going stadium expansion consultation process to provide further details of these potential changes.

Details of the potential stadium expansion can be viewed at the Etihad Stadium or online at mcfc.co.uk/stadiumfuture. The consultation space will be open to the public from Friday 12th July.

Kind regards,

Danny Wilson
Director of Sales, Service & Operations
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #54
js1000

Likes (Received): 639

Herbert in the The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...0-8704138.html

Quote:
Manchester City plan to expand capacity of Etihad Stadium to 60,000

The club's Abu Dhabi owners have always insisted that they will not expand the current capacity until they can be sure that they will fill it

Manchester City will table plans to expand capacity at both sides of their Etihad Stadium, giving them the potential to reach a 60,000 capacity after they have added a third tier to their South Stand.

The Independent revealed in May that the club, who had 99.1 per cent capacity for their Premier League games last season, intend to build on a high volume of sell-outs by taking the capacity to 54,000 with the new tier. They will leapfrog Newcastle and Sunderland to command the third highest capacity in the Premier League, after Manchester United and Arsenal. Though there is potential to expand both sides simultaneously and economies in undertaking one major project, it is likely that the South Stand will take the initial extra capacity, in a building project which will see the footprint of the Etihad expand by 16 metres.

City, who embarked on an exhaustive public consultation with local residents, intend to add 6,000 extra seats in the new tier, allowing them to introduce a £299 season ticket, and there is also a demand for an additional 2,400 seats for supporters seeking an element of upmarket hospitality at games. City's Abu Dhabi owners have always insisted that they will not expand the current capacity until they can be sure that they will fill it. The club's Head of Infrastructure and Corporate Responsibility, Pete Bradshaw, said that the decision on how radically to expand would be taken by next April - when the club hope to know whether their planning application has been approved by Manchester City Council. The new stand should be open in time for the 2015/16 season.

The Etihad, which was designed by architects Arup for the 2002 Commonwealth Games, has a capacity of 47,805 and the extra tier will take it well above Liverpool and Chelsea, other clubs who desperately need a way of increasing match-day revenues but do not have the room to expand that City enjoy.

Though the council owns the stadium and City have it on a 250-year lease, the club will undertake the entire £50m investment if, as expected, planning approval is granted. An initial two-month phase of public consultation, running until the end of next month, will be followed by a formal public consultation in the autumn.

City's feasibility studies for ways of expanding their ground have included an analysis of lifting off the roof and creating an entire new tier to boost capacity to over 70,000, hugely increasing match-day income. But a more organic type of development - increasing the stadium bit by bit - is considered the best way to accommodate new capacity as the club's growth brings in more fans.
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #55
petrusha

Now from the MEN:

Quote:
Manchester City unveil 12,000-seat expansion plan for Etihad Stadium

The move would create more cut-price £300 season tickets although more than one in three will be a new type of ‘premium’ seat

12 Jul 2013 06:00

Manchester City have unveiled multi-million pound plans to expand their empire further – by adding up to 12,000 seats to the Etihad Stadium.

Club bosses say demand is soaring, with the ground more than 99 per cent full last season.

From today, Blues fans are being asked their views on the radical expansion plans, which could create the third biggest Premier League ground after the Emirates and Old Trafford.

The south stand would be boosted by 6,000 seats, including an extra 600 for away fans.

Depending on reaction and ticket sales next season, the north end could also be expanded by the same number, taking capacity to 60,000.

The move would also create more cut-price £300 season tickets although more than one in three will be a new type of ‘premium’ seat.

City chiefs aim to submit a planning application by the end of the year, with a view to starting work next April. Building would be complete by the start of the 2015 season.

Pete Bradshaw, the club’s head of infrastructure, said the expanded ground, alongside the £120m Etihad campus being built next door, would create a ‘world stage of football’.

He added: “It’s an honest consultation with anybody with an interest in where we are going.”

Bosses believe there is demand for expansion at the ground’s south end, moving it outwards by 16m and creating extra third tier seats. Some 2,400 would be new ‘premium’ seating with a new concourse, bar and upgraded hospitality.

A consultation pod at City Square will be open until the end of September. From today fans can also visit www.mcfc.co.uk/stadiumfuture .
Currently (approximately 6.30 am UK time) the link in the MEN piece isn't working but no doubt it will go live later on and we'll then have some plans or drawings to look at in this thread.
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #56
petrusha

A first official image from the club's website:

And here is the news item, which then links to further information and a fan survey:

Quote:
Public consultation opens around Etihad Stadium development

Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:00AM
Posted by @porter_mcfc

Manchester City Football Club opens an exhibition at the Etihad Stadium on Friday 12 July to present the Club’s options for the potential expansion of the ground’s seating capacity.

The Club is seeking the views of fans, local residents and other stakeholders at the free exhibition at the Etihad Stadium where people will be asked to fill in a short questionnaire.

The same information and questionnaire can also be viewed online and responded to at www.mcfc.co.uk/stadiumfuture

The capacity of the Etihad Stadium is currently around 47,500. The Club’s two proposed options are to undertake the expansion of the South Stand alone (phase 1), to increase matchday capacity to around 54,000, or to expand both the South and North Stands at the same time (phases 1 and 2), to increase matchday capacity to about 60,000.

In the event of planning permission being granted, it is the Club’s current intention to first proceed with the development of the South Stand. However a phased or concurrent approach – pursuing the additional construction of an extension to the North Stand - remains a possibility.

This proposed expansion of the Etihad Stadium would allow the club to introduce a new Seasoncard for £299, and to improve the hospitality offer.

The questionnaire also asks fans of both Manchester City and other football clubs for their views on the possible relocation of visiting fans on matchday.

This first phase of public consultation runs throughout July and August and will be followed by a formal public consultation in the autumn ahead of the club proposing to submit a planning application to Manchester City Council in December.

Spokesperson: Pete Bradshaw, Head of Infrastructure & Corporate Responsibility; said:

“Manchester City Football Club strives to provide its supporters and visiting fans with one of the best possible matchday experiences in the Premier League and European football. Games are selling out frequently prior to going on open sale and there is rising demand from supporters for more season tickets, matchday tickets and premium seating. This is why we are considering these expansion proposals.

“We will be in touch with every fan who would be potentially affected by the changes in phase 1, and we encourage fans, residents and anyone who has a point of view, to visit the exhibition in person or online and tell us what they think.”

Exhibition details:

Stadium Future, Consultation Space, City Square, Etihad Stadium Manchester M11 3FF

(adjacent to the Club superstore and sign-posted from Gate 11)

Open 7 days a week

www.mcfc.co.uk/futurestadium

Old July 12th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #57
Uomo Senza Nome

Likes (Received): 122

It looks a bigger expansion than just 6,000 more seats at each end, surely???

Like the look of the outside for sure.
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #58
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 291

Another from 'The Business Desk':

www.thebusinessdesk.com
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #59
jrb
10th February 2008

Got invited to the stadium expansion public display yesterday.(thank you) Had a tour of the display, etc.

The public display is there to gauge opinion. Local Community + City fans. There are basic renders of what the South Stand and North Stand will look like with a 3rd tier on each stand. The renders don't show any detail. Facade, cladding, roof, etc. Internally or externally. The club are still not at that point publicly yet. There are more detailed plans about the Exec/Club level and what it will offer the fans. Plenty of boards. Plenty to read. No model, etc.

The club are looking once again at the possibility of relocating the away fans. 3 options being considered. 1. Stay where they are. 2. Half of the East Stand 3rd tier. Half of the South stand 3rd tier.

All options are still open and are being considered. Once the feedback has been received from the Local Community and City fans, the club will analyze it and work alongside their partners and the authorities. After that they will submit a full planning application in due course.

The club are very keen to engage with the local community and City fans. They want to do this properly.
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #60
jrb
10th February 2008

Screen grabs of the survey.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: