daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #341
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
The a340s, they have no near term plans to replace the a330s, but the economics of an a340s isn't great and they have been in need of larger aircraft for their heavier routes since the company reorganized. I wouldn't suprised to see them hold off on replacing all of their a340s until the 777-9 becomes available since they had at one point contemplated 747-8i's.
Very interesting developments indeed... To where, though, would Swiss send its B747-8Is, should it decide to order them? Plus, with the six brand new B77Ws, it would be a tough guess for me where the airline will send them because I recall it operated MD-11s (as Swissair) before it consolidated... My best guesses for B77W operations would be Zurich to Hong Kong, New York-JFK, and Tokyo, if not new destinations as well.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #342
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63121

It looks like the 777X will have just GE engines, just like the 777-200LR and the 777-300ER.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2623
Quote:
Boeing Selects GE as Engine Partner for 777X Studies

SEATTLE, March 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing's (NYSE: BA) development study on improvements to the market-leading 777, known as 777X, will include GE as the engine partner on the twin-aisle airplane expected to enter service near the end of the decade.

"This decision to work with GE going forward reflects the best match to the development program, schedule and airplane performance," said Bob Feldmann, vice president and general manager, 777X Development, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "We are studying airplane improvements that will extend today's 777 efficiencies and reliability for the next two decades or longer, and the engines are a significant part of that effort. Our focus is on providing the most competitive offering to our customers in the large twin aisle market."

The 777 is the unequivocal market leader in long-haul service, delivering proven performance, profitability and reliability to airlines around the world. The future 777 models, expected to enter service at the end of the decade, will include increased fuel efficiency, enhanced passenger comfort and increased range.

The development work on the next-generation 777 continues and includes 777 customers from around the world. "We have had strong and productive engagement with a broad set of customers in the marketplace to understand their future needs. We are pleased with where we are in the process," Feldmann said. "We are aggressively moving forward on our plan and will continue to refine requirements with customers."

The next step for 777X may include offering the airplane to customers and eventual launch as a committed airplane program.

desertwarrior, Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #343
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Very interesting developments indeed... To where, though, would Swiss send its B747-8Is, should it decide to order them? Plus, with the six brand new B77Ws, it would be a tough guess for me where the airline will send them because I recall it operated MD-11s (as Swissair) before it consolidated... My best guesses for B77W operations would be Zurich to Hong Kong, New York-JFK, and Tokyo, if not new destinations as well.
MD-11s were the backbone of the long haul fleet for Swissair through the 90s, though they had ordered a340-600s to replace them just before their collapse (these were retroactively changed to -300 orders). Since they did infact order the 77Ws I can't imagine they will order 747-8s, but would probably wait until the 777-9 becomes available towards the end of the decade as opposed to 747-8s which may not have the economics of any 777 and are fairly similar in terms of capacity.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #344
TedToToe

Likes (Received): 55

According to the report below, JAL is considering the purchase of A350's to replace Boeing 777's. Their president had previously gone on record saying it was wrong for JAL to depend on a single manufacturer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92N02U20130324

I probably should have posted this on the A350 thread really!!
TedToToe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #345
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
According to the report below, JAL is considering the purchase of A350's to replace Boeing 777's. Their president had previously gone on record saying it was wrong for JAL to depend on a single manufacturer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92N02U20130324

I probably should have posted this on the A350 thread really!!
No way, really? JAL and ANA have been staunchly loyal to Boeing, and now, JAL is looking into the A350? How come? I mean, this is a complete surprise to me since I know that the only airline (as far as I recall) that used an Airbus before the LCCs today (Peach, AirAsia Japan) would be JAS with the A300-600.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #346
TedToToe

With the 777-8X and -9X being larger than the current 200LR and 300ER, Boeing is promoting the 787-1000 as a replacement for the 777-200ER. The reality is, there are a great many missions where the A350 will outperform the Dreamliner. Emirates, for one, would appear to think so.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #347
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63121

As for Airbusses in Japan, StarFlyer is using the A320 since 2005 and Skymark Airlines has orders for A330s and A380s.

JAL CEO recently said in the light of the 787 problems that it's not always a good thing to depend on just 1 manufacturer. But considering the 787 problems it's then also not that smart to place your bets on a complete new airframe from the competitor. The A350 can still run into enough problems between now and the 1st delivery and beyond, it's not like Airbus didn't have any problems with their most recent launches. But since a mixed Boeing/Airbus fleet is pretty much the norm with most major full carriers it's not that strange that JAL is looking at Airbus planes as well.

Since they are looking at the A350-1000 and 20 of them it looks like they will replace both the 777-200ER and the 777-300ER in the international fleet, this together with the 787-8s and some of the -9s. Then we could still see a 777X order for the replacement of 777-200s and the 777-300s. Since the A350s are not wide enough for 10 abreast seating JAL will need new 777s for their domestic flights.

But anyway, JAL is still only "considering" ordering from Airbus. We've seen plenty of similar stories with other airlines before, 50% of those turned out to be true, for the other 50% we never heard anything about it anymore.

For Emirates the A350 seem to be a replacement for their smaller fleet = A330, A340 and 777-200s. They already placed that order in 2007, long before Boeing started looking seriously at the 787-10. They simply don't have the need to look at that plane at the moment. But no loss for Boeing since Emirates has publicly stated that the 777X will be the most likely candidate to replace their 777-300ER fleet from 2020s and onwards. That could be another huge order since there are 150 planes to replace. Emirates can really make or break the 777X program, if they won't order I doubt it will be as successful as the 777-300ER.

Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #348
TedToToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435
For Emirates the A350 seem to be a replacement for their smaller fleet = A330, A340 and 777-200s. They already placed that order in 2007, long before Boeing started looking seriously at the 787-10. They simply don't have the need to look at that plane at the moment. But no loss for Boeing since Emirates has publicly stated that the 777X will be the most likely candidate to replace their 777-300ER fleet from 2020s and onwards. That could be another huge order since there are 150 planes to replace. Emirates can really make or break the 777X program, if they won't order I doubt it will be as successful as the 777-300ER.
Very true. I cannot see Boeing launching the 777-9X until they are sure that the Emirates order is 'in the bag'. Lots of speculation about British Airways at the moment as well. Personally, I cannot see BA ordering anything other than the 777-9X as its long term 744 replacement.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #349
eladkram29

Likes (Received): 17

Philippine Airlines looking to buy 20 Boeing 777X jets

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55am EDT
(Reuters) - Philippine Airlines (PAL) said it is looking to buy 20 Boeing 777X jets as part of a re-fleeting programme aimed at challenging its main domestic rival Cebu Air Inc and launching flights to the United States and Europe.

The jet, which is still in the development stage, is envisioned to be an improvement on Boeing's existing 777 models intended for long-haul service.

more...

fieldsofdreams liked this post
eladkram29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #350
Pedro EM

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
Very true. I cannot see Boeing launching the 777-9X until they are sure that the Emirates order is 'in the bag'. Lots of speculation about British Airways at the moment as well. Personally, I cannot see BA ordering anything other than the 777-9X as its long term 744 replacement.
However won't what engines are on offer be a factor too?? I mean they do have 77Ws which of course are only powered by GE-90 but................
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #351
TedToToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro EM

However won't what engines are on offer be a factor too?? I mean they do have 77Ws which of course are only powered by GE-90 but................
I don't see a lack of Rolls Royce engines being an obstacle. If the 777-9X is the right aircraft for them, they will order it. They have the Rollers on the 787 and A380, so I don't think they will get any bad press. I might be wrong but I don't see BA, or rather IAG, ordering the A350. For example, the 777-8LX could be a very good replacement for Iberia's A340-600's.

Last edited by TedToToe; March 26th, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #352
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eladkram29 View Post
Philippine Airlines looking to buy 20 Boeing 777X jets

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55am EDT
(Reuters) - Philippine Airlines (PAL) said it is looking to buy 20 Boeing 777X jets as part of a re-fleeting programme aimed at challenging its main domestic rival Cebu Air Inc and launching flights to the United States and Europe.

The jet, which is still in the development stage, is envisioned to be an improvement on Boeing's existing 777 models intended for long-haul service.

more...
Excellent news indeed. Looks like PAL is finally investing in new aircraft after seeing the same B747s flying in and out of the United States, and with the new 777X, I am hopeful that the Philippines will finally lure more investors into the country with better aircraft and connections in Manila. I can sense that the 777 will be the long-haul aircraft of choice for the Philippines.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #353
ddes

Likes (Received): 938

I'm wondering if the 777X will be too big. As it is, we've heard only bits and pieces on details. We've also heard about Boeing researching into thinner walls to allow a more comfortable 10-abreast Economy seating. If this turns out to be true, then the 777-9 will seat somewhere in the vicinity of 450 to 480 passengers seeing as Etihad, Emirates and Air France already push 420. Then what's the difference between this and the A380, which starts sitting passengers at 450 passengers?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #354
Hisdem

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I'm wondering if the 777X will be too big. As it is, we've heard only bits and pieces on details. We've also heard about Boeing researching into thinner walls to allow a more comfortable 10-abreast Economy seating. If this turns out to be true, then the 777-9 will seat somewhere in the vicinity of 450 to 480 passengers seeing as Etihad, Emirates and Air France already push 420. Then what's the difference between this and the A380, which starts sitting passengers at 450 passengers?
Economics, and comfort. While the A380 may seat 450 people as well, it does so more comfortably. And with a bigger premium cabin, which is important for high yielding markets.
Hisdem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #355
TedToToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes
BA, for example, would be looking for an aircraft to replace their 'high J' configured 744's which are typically 14F 70J 30W 177Y. That's a lot different from EK's two class 77W's. BA may still opt for 3-3-3 in economy as all of their current 777's are.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #356
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
2 engines are far more economical than 4.

Highcliff liked this post
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #357
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Absolutely! On top of that, the Boeing 777 can fly as far, if not faster, as the A380. And it can have a similar quiet set of engines enjoyed with the A380 as well. On top of that, the aircraft proves to be a far more popular option nowadays to the A380 to start with.

Old March 27th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #358
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
And it can have a similar quiet set of engines enjoyed with the A380 as well.
That is debatable.. 777 engines are known to be quite noisy, but appreciated noise for aviation geeks.
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #359
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Invader View Post

That is debatable.. 777 engines are known to be quite noisy, but appreciated noise for aviation geeks.
You can almost guarantee that the next 777 won't be as noisy inside. I'm sure the insulation will be much improved as well as the new engines will be quieter.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #360
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 892

A breaking news for Garuda: Garuda will lease Air Austral's Boeing 777-300ER F-OSYD. The plane will arrive in 28th March 2013, and will be used for Garuda crew training and transition to Boeing 777.
This plane will be returned to Air Austral once Garuda receive their own Boeing 777 in June 2013.

This is the source (in Indonesian )
http://www.indo-aviation.com/2013/03...777-300er.html