daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #161
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

travelled with EK A380 NY-Dubai some time back. they have an excellent inflight entertainment system.

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #162
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Speaking of PTVs, the only times I experienced them were CX and AF. All the rest (DL, PR, and UA) had none... Even on their B747s. I'd love to ride an aircraft with advanced PTV (I sometimes call them interactive screens) so that I can watch my favorite shows or see the airshow in real time.
UA is terrible. My last flight to SYD was on a 747 and it felt like I stepped back in time before the days on my first CX flight, which had PTV.

Canadians complain about AC all the time, but really AC has spoiled me with AVOD on every single aircraft.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #163
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

I was quite surprised that despite the fact that the Boeing 777 prototype was equipped with PTV (it eventually see service with Cathay Pacific) apparently not all airlines in 1990s equipped their Boeing 777 with PTV (or AVOD system).

I am still dreaming of traveling with Boeing 777 in the future, especially the Boeing 777-300ER or Boeing 777-200LR.
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #164
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11253

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
UA is terrible. My last flight to SYD was on a 747 and it felt like I stepped back in time before the days on my first CX flight, which had PTV.

Canadians complain about AC all the time, but really AC has spoiled me with AVOD on every single aircraft.
You could have taken QF which has PTVs on both its B747s and A380s, if not also their A330s.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #165
Theizazo
Theizazo

Likes (Received): 179

Iraqi Airways to take B777-200LR not taken up by Air Austral

Iraqi Airways will be the recipient of the B777-200(LR) first flown in March 2012 and then not taken up by financially struggling Air Austral . According to a report by Air Journal, the aircraft has been acquired by the government of Iraq which will lease the aircraft to its national carrier.The B777-200(LR) in question had previously been rumoured to be the single aircraft Boeing has sold to Ethiopian Airlines (ET, Addis Ababa Bole International (ADD)) earlier this year but it appears that such reports have been false.
Theizazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #166
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theizazo View Post
Iraqi Airways will be the recipient of the B777-200(LR) first flown in March 2012 and then not taken up by financially struggling Air Austral . According to a report by Air Journal, the aircraft has been acquired by the government of Iraq which will lease the aircraft to its national carrier.The B777-200(LR) in question had previously been rumoured to be the single aircraft Boeing has sold to Ethiopian Airlines (ET, Addis Ababa Bole International (ADD)) earlier this year but it appears that such reports have been false.
So it means Iraqi Airways will operate a widebody aircraft once again after several years of mothballing its B747s? Hmmm where will it be sent?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #167
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

If Baghdad airport could be repaired and upgraded into a good airport, I believe it could compete with the Gulf airports.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #168
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I believe so myself. I think the presence of several airlines operating in BGW is a good sign indeed that Baghdad is recovering from the wounds of war, and that Iraqi Airways is looking to shape up its fleet once again with a B77L. But, will it mean that Iraqi Airways could fly to destinations further than what the airline used to serve in the 1970s and 80s? If IA indeed gets more B777s, then it should be a caution sign for other MidEast carriers that Iraq is improving its aviation situation rapidly.

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #169
Pedro EM

Likes (Received): 51

It will take time but this is probably what the country needs to finally get back on its feet.
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #170
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62986

Turkish has firmed up it's order for 15 777-300ERs + 5 options.

Quote:
Boeing, Turkish Airlines Finalize Order for 15 777-300ERs

ISTANBUL, Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Turkish Airlines have finalized a firm order for 15 777-300ER (Extended Range) airplanes worth $4.7 billion at list prices. The agreement, first announced in October as a commitment, also includes options for five additional 777-300ERs and is the largest order by value in Turkish Airlines' history.

Turkish Airlines' fleet currently includes 12 777-300ERs, the first of which Boeing delivered in October 2010. Over the past two years, these airplanes have formed the backbone of Turkish Airlines' long-haul operations. This latest order will enable the Turkish flag-carrier to continue to serve new destinations worldwide.

"This latest order from Turkish Airlines is testament to the key role the 777 has played in the carrier's long-haul route expansion," said Todd Nelp, vice president of European Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "In recent years, Turkish Airlines has been incredibly successful in providing its passengers with outstanding service to a growing range of international destinations. The exceptional performance of the 777-300ER, with its excellent fuel economics, reliability and passenger comfort, has been a cornerstone for Turkish Airlines' continued growth."

The 777-300ER seats up to 386 passengers in a three-class configuration and has a maximum range of 7,930 nautical miles (14,685 km).

Turkish Airlines currently operates a fleet that includes nearly 100 Boeing airplanes and serves more than 200 destinations across 90 countries worldwide.

Boeing Press Release:
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2521

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #171
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
You could have taken QF which has PTVs on both its B747s and A380s, if not also their A330s.
Had to take Star Alliance to ensure I meet Gold status... and I couldn't say no to a $1100 fare down-under in the peak season of summer, when normal UA fares were priced at $2200. I did try QFs A380, but to be honest I don't understand the novelty of the A380 unless you are in a premium cabin.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #172
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Does the Boeing 777-300ER enable carriers with moderate capital to expand their business globally?
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #173
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

American Airlines has today become the 1st US airline to operate the 777-300ER.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3656077&type=1

It was delivered in a grey livery. AA will most likely paint the plane in the new corporate livery and make it a big reveal when it rolls out of the paint hangar.

image hosted on flickr

American Airlines N717AN Boeing 777 by moonm, on Flickr

Highcliff, Rockmont, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #174
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Does the Boeing 777-300ER enable carriers with moderate capital to expand their business globally?
It's an expensive aircraft to buy or to lease, you need a good foundation to make it profitable. This is reflected in the number of smaller airlines operating the 777-300ER. There are Biman Bangladesh Airlines, Pakistan International Airlines, TAAG Angola Airlines and Virgin Australia that are basically the smallest airlines that use it.

It's possible, but there are other types that are much more suitable for airlines that fit description as carriers with moderate capital. The 767 or the A330 are much more suitable and that is reflected lists of carriers that use those planes.

Old December 11th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #175
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Air Austral in France, with its four 777 could be an interesting example.
The ex CEO Gerard Etheve was known to have his eyes bigger than his belly, and you can see the financial result today.

Space Invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #176
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Air Austral is technically the airline of Reunion Island, a French Overseas Department territory.

Old December 12th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #177
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

So what's wrong with what I said?
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #178
Pedro EM

Likes (Received): 51

Didnt realize no US airline has ever operated the latest model 777 till now.
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #179
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Invader View Post
So what's wrong with what I said?
Nothing's wrong. Just clarifying.

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #180
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro EM View Post
Didnt realize no US airline has ever operated the latest model 777 till now.
Yes... AA will operate its first B77W -- the first for any US airline, thanks to union negotiations -- starting next year, sporting its brand new livery.