daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #41
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

Let's steer clear of religion: no one's going to change their mind however much we argue.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #42
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 126

I didn't mean to cause any trouble. I only said I have contempt for all organized religions, and then gave an example of what I think is one of the greatest modern religious buildings, Ando's Church of Light.

Quote:
If you hate all religion, how are you qualified to judge the success/failure of a modern Church?
What is not liking organized religion got to do with appreciating a building?? I'm an atheist, but I still love to read the bible because it's a beautiful piece of literature and history; although not as beautiful as the quran.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #43
jamiefearon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
It looks like some sort of court house from a futuristic authoritarian police state.
Good isn't it.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #44
Loathing
BANNED

I'm glad to hear you appreciate the Bible and Qur'an. It seems I had mistaken you for a much less tolerant person than you actually are; for which I apologize.

And of course you can be anti-religion and still appreciate the aesthetics of religious architecture as much as you like. However, I don't think you're qualified to judge a Church on anything other than its aesthetics.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #45
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1815

Some brilliant modern religious buildings. I'm inclined to agree with Potto- when you look at these brilliant designs, what strikes me about the Wembley temple is again, what was the point, when something more contemporary and befitting of the 21st century would probably do more to appease the local community and reduce people's insecurities about religion in their locale.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by DarJoLe; December 11th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #46
jamiefearon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
I'm glad to hear you appreciate the Bible and Qur'an. It seems I had mistaken you for a much less tolerant person than you actually are; for which I apologize.
Thank you, I appreciate your apology.

Quote:
And of course you can be anti-religion and still appreciate the aesthetics of religious architecture as much as you like. However, I don't think you're qualified to judge a Church on anything other than its aesthetics.
Correct. I am only judging it aesthetically.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #47
Loathing
BANNED

Yes, some fine examples there, particularly the Niemeyer.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #48
jamiefearon

Awesome examples DarJoLe, Church of Holy Cross bring my personal favorite.

Old December 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #49
jdjones
Citizen Not Subject

Likes (Received): 1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefearon View Post
What is not liking organized religion got to do with appreciating a building?? I'm an atheist, but I still love to read the bible because it's a beautiful piece of literature and history; although not as beautiful as the quran.
So is your Hindu Swastika ironic? I was bored once in a hotel and read Revelation, quite trippy, I think John was on the same thing as Lewis Carroll!
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #50
spindrift

Likes (Received): 316

The 40 days and 40 nights thing was going into the desert and fasting, people would often hallucinate after that.
spindrift está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #51
jamiefearon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjones View Post
So is your Hindu Swastika ironic? I was bored once in a hotel and read Revelation, quite trippy, I think John was on the same thing as Lewis Carroll!
Quite simply, I like the aesthetics of the Swastika.
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #52
uk_manc

Likes (Received): 0

Ive always found religion(validity/necessity of it is another debate altogether) to inspire people to go that extra step in architecture, literature and music...call it fanaticism or call it devotion, the result is often jaw dropping....This Mandir will be another beautiful addition to our Capital.
uk_manc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #53
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Some brilliant modern religious buildings. I'm inclined to agree with Potto- when you look at these brilliant designs, what strikes me about the Wembley temple is again, what was the point, when something more contemporary and befitting of the 21st century would probably do more to appease the local community and reduce people's insecurities about religion in their locale.
Most of these buildings are ugly. The Sri Sanatan Temple is nicer than any of them. No one has any insecurities about Hindu temples. The Sri Swaminarayan Mandir is already a celebrated local landmark in Neasden, and the equally beautiful Alperton temple is being embraced in the same way.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #54
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

Oh no! Another list of photos showing the triumph of modernism, which evades the simple and depressing truth about the vast majority of religious buildings erected in the last 60 years in this country (i.e. that most of them are shit), and that's an opinion from someone who rates Paddy's Wigwam very highly and even Coventry Cathedral (well the interior at least. The exterior is utterly vile). Take away the art from those structures and they'd be bereft of much of their charm.

The Neasden temple was a big fat slap in the face for those who assert, wrongly, that detail is 'passe'. It is gloriously intricate and beautifully so - a feast for the eyes.

In my opnion, our substantial muslim community haven't yet lived up to their heritage by building a truly great mosque in Britain. The best I can think of - the Ismaeli Centre - hides its best bits up on the roof. The largest mosques remind me of a middle eastern version of tescos-cum-sports-centre. I think the lord of the universe deserves better.
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #55
cnapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefearon View Post
Awesome examples DarJoLe, Church of Holy Cross bring my personal favorite.

Incredibly fussy, having furniture. The aesthetics of the flat surface of the floor are corrupted by such unnecessary detail. The floor is as much of a structure as one needs in order to sit or place things upon.
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #56
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 18

Some of those modern places of worship are impressive
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #57
SkyScraperRaper

Likes (Received): 90

The thing about the mosque they built was .....it does not fit in. The rest of that area is run-down. I did think WTF when I went past it.....you go through a busy, nasty looking high street and then boom there is a £16million large overpowering, over the top building.

One similar to the less intricate, simpler designs posted above would have been more suited to this area.

Who paid for it anyhow?
SkyScraperRaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #58
Loathing
BANNED

It's not a mosque.
I imagine it was paid for by the local Hindu community.
You should be happy that this new building doesn't "fit in" with the "run-down" and "nasty looking" area. I sure am.
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #59
cnapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
It's not a mosque.
I imagine it was paid for by the local Hindu community.
You should be happy that this new building doesn't "fit in" with the "run-down" and "nasty looking" area. I sure am.
I agree completely. If there's something we really could do without, it's people asking for mediocrity.

If there is to be a hindu temple (and why not), then far better that it is something which, in a hundred years - or even just 30 - people will want to preserve because they like it.

I do appreciate that such populist sentiments exclude me from the 'thinking' behind much of the built environment these days, but there we go!
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #60
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnapan View Post
If there is to be a hindu temple (and why not), then far better that it is something which, in a hundred years - or even just 30 - people will want to preserve because they like it.
How do you know in thirty or a hundred years people will want to preserve this? Are you saying none of the designs I showed will exist but this will?

If I had this sense of prediction about future architectural tastes I'd be a millionaire!
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote