daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Peckhamdamo

Likes (Received): 1

Wood Dene | Peckham | 9 fl | Approved

Notting Hill Housing's plans for the derelict site of the former Wood Dene Estate, Peckham. Demolished in 2007!!

http://nhhwooddene.com/index.html
Peckhamdamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 14326

I've been waiting a long time for some plans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
I haven't seen anything 'concrete'.

The worst thing that could happen, is what happened to the Wood Dene estate in Peckham (the estate on stilts). It was demolished, and now we're left with an empty, unused, rubble-filled, fenced off area where the estate used to be. Its been that way for several years now. I hope Southwark won't let the same happen to Heygate.

Wood Dene 1970s - 2006:

image hosted on flickr

Wood Dene 2006 - present:

What's the local reaction to the proposed scheme?

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
What's the local reaction to the proposed scheme?
I can guess it will be:

"awwww noooo.. it's too tall, I have sand in my ******, oh no the light from the thing will stop the emmmm thing....."

Vnofd5 liked this post
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 97

The new plans really don't look all that different in massing and general layout to what was demolished here!

This interesting then-and-now site on the Wood Dene estate is worth a look - with photos of the old development and the general site plan (note that the lower density northern half of the old estate has survived demolition). This photo in particular looks a lot like the new development.
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Peckhamdamo

I did see these plans and thought future slum! Pokey flats off a dual carriageway, with an underground car park and dark unloved public spaces! But I could be wrong, though I wouldn't want to live there...
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
SE9
South East Nine

The proposed plan for the site: http://www.nhhwooddene.com/

-
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Peckhamdamo

Apparently the new development has to contain as many flats as the old estate, hence the similarity! The architects are Jestico & Whiles, they brought us the new East London Line (yay) and that new M&M building on Leicester Square (boo)
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #8
SE9
South East Nine

A clip of Brian Paddick and some local boys in the old Wood Dene Estate:

-
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #9
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 801

The old building reminds me of the Barbican. If it hadn't had had such social problems (plus if had the Barbican's water features) it might have been a desirable place to live, especially if Peckham had got the Bakerloo line extension. Actually given the way things are going it probably would have lost most of its social problems by now anyway and started being more mixed from people moving in to buy a cheap flat etc. If I could afford one I'd buy a flat on the remaining parts of that estate (can't get a mortgage due to being self-employed) - I stayed over at a friends who lived in a studio flat on the estate a few times and it seemed like the area had a good community and it didn't feel dangerous. That was about two years ago, maybe it was worse before. While the new scheme doesn't look bad, having that American brick high rise style, it lacks some of the imagination of the old one. Pretty certain if the same residents were in that building and the same lack of care for the building by the council took place then it would be just as bad.
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
A clip of Brian Paddick and some local boys in the old Wood Dene Estate:

I remember being in the car with my mum driving past that estate whilst it was being knocked down and we both cheered at the sight of it finally being dismantled. It was so ******* hideous I can't even put it into words, you really had to see it in the flesh.

I always knew of the trouble in Peckham as I was from nearby Forest Hill and a few Peckham Boys went to my school, I remember my head teacher telling the whole School Assembly that Damilola Taylor had been accepted into the school just before he was killed. In my honest opinion those boys in that video pretty much hit the nail on the head in everything they said. Seriously though was hearing robbery, rape and murder round that area, all for nothing as well absolutely awful.
2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1405

So... the development was approved almost a year ago and I've seen no sign of activity on the site.

Is it destined to be a wasteland forever?!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
So... the development was approved almost a year ago and I've seen no sign of activity on the site.

Is it destined to be a wasteland forever?!
I also went past this today!

Some thing is advertised on hoardings of the neighbouring site for next door, didn't get chance to look though.
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1405

...In contrast the London & Brighton pub up the road has been demolished and is well on its way to being replaced by a reasonable-sized block of flats in the space of about 6 months.

As it's Notting Hill Housing Trust you've got to hope it's not land-banking... so... why?
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Peckhamdamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
...In contrast the London & Brighton pub up the road has been demolished and is well on its way to being replaced by a reasonable-sized block of flats in the space of about 6 months.
Yes but it looks like it has been built with giant Meccano and plasterboard! I doubt it will last as long as the pub did/ would have...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: