daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #201
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Is the limestone real limestone or 30 Park Place limestone?

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #202
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

I'm really digging this trend back to Art Deco!
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #203
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Is the limestone real limestone or 30 Park Place limestone?
If they want to sell the most expensive apt in the city and repeat the success of 15 CPW then this will need to be of top quality.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ark_avenue.php
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ark_avenue.php

Quote:
The building will be entirely clad in Indiana limestone articulated with French balconies and stone detailing evocative of the great New York apartment buildings of the 1920's and 1930's. [...]

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #204
McSky

Likes (Received): 1891

Amazing interiors.

Here's a look at the neighborhood where this will rise from the 1948 film The Naked City.

Someone brought up the shabby-looking business next door. Not sure what it looks like today, but here is street view's version:

Last edited by McSky; December 11th, 2014 at 04:54 PM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #205
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Absolutely great and absolutely NYC. Robert A M Stern is one of the few architects who knows how to design a great modern building that respects the unique heritage of the NY 'scraper. Glass boxes can be seen in any 3rd rate city but not a quality building like this! This photo highlights how the GM building destroys the scale and harmony of Grand Army Plaza if only Stern and been around then he would have designed a fitting replacement for the Savoy Plaza which should have never been demolished in the first place.
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #206
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Amazing interiors.

Here's a look at the neighborhood where this will rise from the 1948 film The Naked City.

Someone brought up the shabby-looking business next door. Not sure what it looks like today, but here is street view's version:

McSky, according to Acris, an entity called 33-39 E 60th St bought those dilapidated brownstones around 2001 and still owns them. Have the businesses vacated them?
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #207
McSky

Likes (Received): 1891

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
McSky, according to Acris, an entity called 33-39 E 60th St bought those dilapidated brownstones around 2001 and still owns them. Have the businesses vacated them?
Not sure, as I'm not in NYC anymore. Maybe someone can go by and take some current photos.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #208
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Thanks, McSky. How do you know the businesses closed? Did you observe them closed? I hope so.
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #209
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Hope something cool rises next door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
Glass boxes can be seen in any 3rd rate city but not a quality building like this! This photo highlights how the GM building destroys the scale and harmony of Grand Army Plaza if only Stern and been around then he would have designed a fitting replacement for the Savoy Plaza which should have never been demolished in the first place.
The GM Building is great. I'm sick of these classicists bashing everything built within our lifetimes that isn't just a cheap knockoff of an older style, get over yourselves.

iamtheSTIG, Hudson11 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 13th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #210
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

Most contemporary buildings are a cheap knock-off of an older style: Modernism. And besides, it's not a rare or fringe opinion to dislike the GM Building, the foremost architectural critics of the 20th and 21st century, Ada Louise Huxtable and Paul Goldberger both criticized it.

The Savoy Plaza hotel is another McKim Mead and White building that should have survived the short-sighted 60s. The GM Building completely disfigured an iconic and priceless Central Park view: The Pierre, The Sherry-Netherland, The Savoy Plaza, The Squibb Buidling, and The Plaza, all in one stunning group.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

Manitopiaaa liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #211
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Hope something cool rises next door!

The GM Building is great. I'm sick of these classicists bashing everything built within our lifetimes that isn't just a cheap knockoff of an older style, get over yourselves.
Something will rise there because one entity owns the four little buildings.

It's a matter of time before the crappy office building on the corner comes down.
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #212
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
Most contemporary buildings are a cheap knock-off of an older style: Modernism. And besides, it's not a rare or fringe opinion to dislike the GM Building, the foremost architectural critics of the 20th and 21st century, Ada Louise Huxtable and Paul Goldberger both criticized it.
The GM building is an incredible example of the modernist international style. Hardly a knockoff.

Buck Ennis

Marshall Gerometta

iamtheSTIG, Eric Offereins liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; December 14th, 2014 at 12:06 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #213
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

I was talking about contemporary buildings, i.e. building built these days. But since we're on the topic of slavish appreciation of past styles, I'll agree that the GM Building is a great example of an International Modernist building due to its near total contempt for its context in an urban environment and its function as an automobile showroom in a mass transit capital. I'll grant that if you appreciate the building in a total vacuum, devoid of context, it's not bad. It might even look great somewhere deep in midtown.

But it has three strikes against it. 1. The destruction of an urban landmark, 2. The defacement of one of the most elegant urban vistas in the world, and 3. Anti-pedestrianism. Basically everything wrong with the period where International Modernism was in vogue can be symbolized by the GM Building.

But anyway, there's little need to argue, especially in this thread, where one of the foremost new building projects in NYC is a work of contextualism. Clearly a course-correction has been made.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

j-biz, geoking66, bodegavendetta liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #214
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The GM building is an incredible example of the modernist international style. Hardly a knockoff.

Marshall Gerometta
I love it. Great design, top quality building.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #215
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I agree. The GM Bldg is amazing (though I would have preferred that the original tower remain).

onewtclover liked this post
Old December 15th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #216
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post

The Savoy Plaza hotel is another McKim Mead and White building that should have survived the short-sighted 60s. The GM Building completely disfigured an iconic and priceless Central Park view: The Pierre, The Sherry-Netherland, The Savoy Plaza, The Squibb Buidling, and The Plaza, all in one stunning group.
I agree.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Manitopiaaa liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #217
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

I didn't know much about the Savoy, but it does look like quite a gem; certainly in today's climate, something Landmarks would deem "architecturally significant" and worthy of preservation. But at the same time, so is the GM Building. In a perfect world, we would have both. As it is, we just have to strive to preserve great architecture, whatever the era, while encouraging more of it to come.

520 Park looks like it's going to be a great addition, especially if clad in top quality materials. Glad to see that latest render in which it appears bulkier than before. Towers of this scale (along with Bloomberg, Citicorp, 425 Park and 252 E 57th) will be key to keeping Midtown East skyline balanced, as we start to see more behemoths like 432 and One Vanderbilt rise.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #218
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

And now the GM Building is part of the neighbourhood's architectural context.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 15th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #219
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

That's what I'm saying. It's just as valuable an icon as the Savoy was (it's impossible for me to picture modern CPS without it), it's just too bad one had to be destroyed to construct the other. So it is with living, evolving cities.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #220
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2626

It does look quite weird from the angle shown in the second pic of post #212, but from every other angle like the one in post #205 it fits in perfectly well, as do the other modern towers.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
45 e.60th st., 520 park ave., midtown, new york, nyc, ues, zeckendorf