daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #221
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

Lobby rendering:

We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:38 AM   #222
WI_1982

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
But it has three strikes against it. 1. The destruction of an urban landmark, 2. The defacement of one of the most elegant urban vistas in the world, and 3. Anti-pedestrianism. Basically everything wrong with the period where International Modernism was in vogue can be symbolized by the GM Building.
All three of these claims are wrong. The previous building wasn't a landmark, there was no change to the urban vista (in fact the GM building opened up urban vistas by being set back) and the GM building is hardly anti-pedestrian.

The GM Building has a massive amount of pedestrian-oriented multilevel retail space, as well as a pedestrian plaza. There is no "car showroom" at the GM building, so don't get your anti-transit claim (not even sure why a car showroom, which in this location would simply be a pedestrian oriented retail space, would be anti-transit, but that's another story).

The predecessor building had almost no retail space nor any pedestrian amenities. It was basically just a nice old building. The GM Building improves the public realm and the pedestrian experience.

ThatOneGuy liked this post
WI_1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:26 PM   #223
hateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_1982 View Post
All three of these claims are wrong. The previous building wasn't a landmark, there was no change to the urban vista (in fact the GM building opened up urban vistas by being set back) and the GM building is hardly anti-pedestrian.
You think those claims are wrong because you have limited understanding and historical knowledge. Let me correct you.

1. It's a landmark (iconic, significant, noteworthy), but it wasn't "landmarked." It was slated for demolition in 1964, the year before the Landmarks Preservation Commission was formed--precisely because of such demolitions.

2. The Savoy-Plaza was 250' tall with several setbacks and a sloped roof, the GM building is 700,' and a slab, facing Central Park at 3/4 perspective. That "opens up vistas?" Clearly the urban vista has changed:

3. I never claimed that there IS an automobile showroom in the building. There WAS an automobile showroom in the GM Building, for many years. And avoiding the point of selling cars in a mass transit city, putting an automobile dealership in prime NYC retail and pedestrian space is clearly anti-pedestrian. How many more people go into shops and restaurants, which the ground floor retail of the Savoy-Plaza had, compared to an auto dealership and sunken plaza:

So to reiterate my point, the GM Building showed all the failures of mid-century urban planning: demolishing a noted and important piece of work by a noted firm, disfiguring an urban vista with an out-of-scale slab, and anti-pedestrianism.

EDIT: Here, read this article from the paper of record:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/18/re...-drummers.html
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

Last edited by hateman; March 23rd, 2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:34 AM   #224
Marco Polo

Quote:
Lobby rendering:

The lobby looks like a mausoleum.

TwItCH liked this post
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:09 AM   #225
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

more like a 19th century mansion... like what the residents would probably be able to afford anyway.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:17 AM   #226
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
The lobby looks like a mausoleum.
I'm with you, it's pretty dreary. Hopefully RAMS gives the interior some tweaks to humanize things and bring some warmth. But as the adage goes, money doesn't buy taste, and the units in this building will sell no matter what.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:46 AM   #227
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
You think those claims are wrong because you have limited understanding and historical knowledge. Let me correct you.
The GM Building was not designed to fit harmoniously with the surroundings. That was a major point of the style - to break away from the constriants of the past. It was a revolutionary style that created a new style of context rather than adhering to the archaic urban rules of yore. The mass and verticality of the facade are its defining characteristics. And it works.

The open plaza was very cool 50 years ago, but now it is home to the Apple cube

iamtheSTIG liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:13 AM   #228
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Not to bring this GM building talk further off topic, but I would like to interject that urban planning types have since come to almost unanimous agreement that these urban plazas, which seemed like a good idea in the 50s and 60s, are disruptive to the urban environment.

You're on the money with the intent of the building, though, and anyone who doesn't recognize its importance in the Modernist movement is blind (even if its aesthetic value is totally subjective). My problem is that it came at the expense of another gem from a different era; the worst aspect of Modernism was the disdain for older building styles that led to a shortsighted "cleansing" of many great pre-war icons.

As all this relates to 520, I guess I'd say that while Stern's style isn't really my cup of tea (I much prefer "pure" styles that are a product of their time and place rather than referring back to an old one) I'm glad we're seeing a wide variety of building styles going up, from PoMo to Industrial to Avante Garde stuff the likes of which we could never have imagined before AutoCAD. Variety is the spice of life!
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:47 PM   #229
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

http://www.520parkavenue.com/

In this render it seems like it's taller than the Bloomberg Towers 246m roof height, while it is 8 meters lower.
This pic is made from about 260 meter.
You can also compare it to the Citigroup Center, the bottom of the slope is over 240 meter, so from this angle it should apear to be way under that.

Last edited by tim1807; January 3rd, 2015 at 06:52 PM.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:52 PM   #230
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I guess because that photo was taken from the west and Bloomberg is further east, so it looks smaller.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:22 PM   #231
hateman

Everything is wrong in that rendering, scale, perspective, etc. The windows are a dead giveaway. They'd have to be huge to look like that. I suspect that it'll look thinner and shorter when it's built.

Old January 5th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #232
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
I guess because that photo was taken from the west and Bloomberg is further east, so it looks smaller.
That would have been a good point, wasn't it for the fact that the pic is taken from an higher altitude.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #233
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Not to bring this GM building talk further off topic, but I would like to interject that urban planning types have since come to almost unanimous agreement that these urban plazas, which seemed like a good idea in the 50s and 60s, are disruptive to the urban environment.

You're on the money with the intent of the building, though, and anyone who doesn't recognize its importance in the Modernist movement is blind (even if its aesthetic value is totally subjective). My problem is that it came at the expense of another gem from a different era; the worst aspect of Modernism was the disdain for older building styles that led to a shortsighted "cleansing" of many great pre-war icons.

As all this relates to 520, I guess I'd say that while Stern's style isn't really my cup of tea (I much prefer "pure" styles that are a product of their time and place rather than referring back to an old one) I'm glad we're seeing a wide variety of building styles going up, from PoMo to Industrial to Avante Garde stuff the likes of which we could never have imagined before AutoCAD. Variety is the spice of life!
You have to consider market forces. Most single family homes are built in traditional styles because that's what buyers want. And those homes typically have higher resale values than contemporary ones. Stern has seen the same forces in play with previous residential towers.

Étages_supérieurs_du_15_Central_Park_West_habité_par_Sting, Denzel_Washington. Penthouse_valant_88_millions_à_lui_seul_occupé_par_Ekaterina_Rybolovlev, étudiante_de_24_ans Upper West Side NYC by grgoirebreault, on Flickr

McSky, erbse liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:09 AM   #234
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Excavation on this has clearly started.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Last edited by desertpunk; March 5th, 2015 at 05:06 AM.
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #235
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28330

Looks like the walls of the pit are already done. This should be U/C in no time.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #236
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3325

I'm waiting impatiently.
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #237
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Aren't those caissons in the pic? So shouldn't it be under construction already?

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #238
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5313

Old March 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #239
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

U/C? Look at the rebar steel ...
And btw ... the city is approaching 20 200m+ towers U/C!!

Last edited by hunser; March 5th, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #240
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Cheers cheers cheers!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
45 e.60th st., 520 park ave., midtown, new york, nyc, ues, zeckendorf