daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

MIAMI | Villa Magna | 318m | 1044ft | 80 fl+ | Pro

A site destined for twin 60 story towers named "villa Magna" is now being developed with the addition of Frank McCourt, a New York developer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tibor Hollo To Develop Villa Magna

bryansereny.com

Quote:
Tibor Hollo has decided to develop Villa Magna after all on 2.5 acres of waterfront in the Brickell neighborhood, but this time he is adding a hotel to the apartments.

The property at 1201 Brickell Bay Drive will have about 400 units instead of 787 and a hotel with between 180 and 200 suites, he told the Business Journal. The residential towers will face the water and sit at either end of the property, with the hotel in the middle.

Hollo had recently listed the property for sale. He said CBRE had until the end of November to take bids, but they were not what he and his partners were looking to get. New York-based partner Corigin Real Estate Group is a partner in the site. "We gave them [CBRE] until Nov. 30," Hollo said. "We got some pretty fancy bids but my partners decided that was not enough so I said, 'I will develop it.'"

Hollo said it could take 18 months to get the necessary approvals for the revised project. The original Villa Magna had two residential towers.

http://www.dukainvest.com/en/project...la_magna.shtml

http://www.aventura-homes.com/reales...006_06_04.html

Given the age of the twin tower design and Hollo's plans to add a hotel between the towers, expect significant changes to this scheme.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; January 7th, 2016 at 12:41 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Looks good

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Villa Magna Site Development Could Be HUGE

Quote:
According to the wonks at exMiami, mack daddy of development Tibor Hollo has submitted plans for 1,208 residential units at the 2.5 acre waterfront Villa Magna site in Brickell. The massiveness, which will presumably be contained in multiple towers (the site is zoned up to 80 stories), comes along with a wittle bit of retail and a restaurant or two. It looks like the hotel he once planned for the mix will be dropped.
Original plans were for 800 units. this is a big upsizing of the project and a thorough redesign may be underway...

Last edited by desertpunk; June 15th, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #4
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

This is gonna be huge.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #5
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Sadly the streetscape doesn't look at all inviting.

CF221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Miami has no streetscape.

samoen313 liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28161

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post
Sadly the streetscape doesn't look at all inviting.
This is not a good street level design, but I guess this is not the side facing the waterfront?

Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #8
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The Closing: Tibor Hollo
About to turn 87, veteran Miami developer has no plans to retire

Quote:
Tibor Hollo is chairman and president of Florida East Coast Realty. The developer of Brickell’s first high-rise tower, Hollo is currently evaluating plans for Villa Magna, a condo and hotel project on Biscayne Bay in Brickell that was postponed during the fallout from Miami’s real estate crash in 2008.

[...]

In 2009, after the real estate market crashed, you agreed to lease the site of Villa Magna, which was approved in 2004, to the city for three years for one dollar per year. Now that the three years have passed, what are your plans for the site?

That time has passed and we are now concentrating on the development of the site. We are just analyzing the market now and deciding on the proper use.

You have seen plenty of ups and downs in the Miami real estate market over the years. Was the 2008 collapse like anything you’d seen before?

These things are more or less all the same, but this last bust lasted longer than the rest because of external forces. It wasn’t only indigenous to the U.S. It also involved Europe and the problems in Europe; Greece, Spain, Portugal, France. If China sneezes, we catch a big cold. We are now starting to have the effects of the global economy, and I think that elongated the problem.

[...]

Old July 7th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #9
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Another wasted opportunity.

Miami, like Seattle and Boston, could be crafting an awesome skyline. Instead they''re all stuck on 175m boxes.

Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #10
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

This is all obviously opinion, but that's precisely like those crafted all over the country (and world) for the past 60 or so years. Not everywhere is Dubai, Moscow, or Shanghai, and I thank god for it; I'm disappointed enough to see New York fall into the nouveau riche pattern of look-at-how-much-money-we-have skyscraper design. I'd prefer that a city look more like a city and less like a sci-fi movie set.

Back on topic, I'm frankly stunned to see Miami bouncing back so quickly. Where's all the money/demand for this construction coming from? Or is it just a bounceback from the financial crisis?

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #11
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

Miami, like Seattle and Boston, could be crafting an awesome skyline. Instead they''re all stuck on 175m boxes.
all thanks to the FAA.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #12
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

Here in Miami, it's pretty much the nature of the beast. Balconied condos are what sell. It's what people want and what's most appropriate for down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
This is all obviously opinion, but that's precisely like those crafted all over the country (and world) for the past 60 or so years. Not everywhere is Dubai, Moscow, or Shanghai, and I thank god for it; I'm disappointed enough to see New York fall into the nouveau riche pattern of look-at-how-much-money-we-have skyscraper design. I'd prefer that a city look more like a city and less like a sci-fi movie set.

Back on topic, I'm frankly stunned to see Miami bouncing back so quickly. Where's all the money/demand for this construction coming from? Or is it just a bounceback from the financial crisis?
We were just as shocked as anybody. A lot of the money is coming from South America, particularly Brazil. I don't mind so much the city looking like a sci-fi movie set. I just don't want it to look like a bad sci-fi movie set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
all thanks to the FAA.
It's not all the FAA. Ornamentation to a building costs money. You can't sell it by the square foot like a condo or lease office space in it.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:57 AM   #13
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Hollo Signs Agreement Calling For Villa Magna Construction Within A Year

Quote:
Tibor Hollo signed an agreement with the county last month stating that ‘time is of the essence’ to begin work on his Villa Magna project at 1201 Brickell Bay Drive.

Hollo’s newest plans for Villa Magna include 1,208 apartment units, 20,050 square feet of retail space, and 14,450 square feet of restaurant space. The land is currently used as parking for the 1101 Brickell office building, after Hollo demolished a parking garage there to build Panorama Tower.

Construction on water and sewer facilities for the project must begin within 365 days from the date of the agreement, July 1.

[...]

QuantumX, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 6th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #14
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Hollo Says Hello to New York Developer on Brickell Project

Quote:
Three developers. Two 60-story towers. One Villa Magna.

New York-based MG Properties has partnered with Tibor Hollo's Florida East Coast Realty in this new financial district development.

The mixed-use project, including residential units and a hotel, sits on a 2.5-acre waterfront site. Villa Magna would have 1.8 million square feet in two 60-story towers.

There are plans for this project from Hollo that date back to 2012: the residences will house 400 units, and a hotel will accommodate 180 to 200 suites. The residential towers will face the water and sit at either end of the property, with the hotel in the middle.

More about the three developers:

http://highrisefacilities.com/luxury...ell-bay-drive/

Quote:
Frank McCourt’s MG Properties, has entered into a partnership with Florida East Coast Realty, a South Florida-based real estate development firm, and Corigin Real Estate Group, a division of Corigin, a New York-based real estate development and investment firm, to develop 1201 Brickell Bay Drive, a 1.8 million square foot, luxury residential development project on Biscayne Bay in Miami’s financial district. This will be McCourt’s first Miami project.

The last remaining development site on Miami’s Brickell Corridor, 1201 Brickell Bay Drive sits atop 2.5 acres of prime waterfront property and is designed for two main towers in excess of 60 stories, each delivering panoramic views stretching from Key Biscayne to South Beach.

“1201 Brickell Bay Drive, with its enviable waterside location and other attributes, is a great strategic fit for us,” Drew McCourt, president of MG Properties, said in a statement.

Corigin Real Estate Group owns and manages 5 million square feet of real estate, primarily in New York City, and has significant experience in ground-up development, adaptive re-use, and redevelopment. The company previously partnered with Florida East Coast Realty on several other major developments, including Element, a luxury high-rise on Manhattan’s Upper West Side.

Florida East Coast Realty was responsible for helping develop what is today Miami’s Arts and Entertainment District and several of its landmark properties, including the Venetia (now known as the Grand). In the city’s Brickell district, the company and developed the Rivergate Plaza Complex, which includes the first high-rise office building on Brickell Avenue. The company is currently developing Panorama, the tallest building in Miami, and the largest residential building south of New York.

Last edited by desertpunk; January 6th, 2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:53 AM   #15
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

*Supertall bump*

1,000 feet!

Quote:
The developers behind Brickell’s Villa Magna are looking to increase the height of the massive project.

Tibor Hollo and former LA Dodgers owner Frank McCourt are partnering on the development, together with New York’s Corigin Real Estate Group.

Yesterday, the developers submitted plans to the FAA to build a project that is 995 feet above ground, or 1000 feet above sea level. It is scheduled to break ground on December 1, according to the application (although that date is likely to change).

Hollo received approval from the FAA in 2005 to build a twin-tower project on the site that reached 784 feet above ground, but the approval expired in 2008 after the agency denied an extension request. In the 2005 approval, officials wrote that Villa Magna would have no greater impact on air traffic at MIA than the Southeast Financial Center (at 797 feet above sea level) or the Four Seasons Tower (at 849-feet above sea level.)
http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...00-foot-tower/

Naturally the FAA will be having a say on all this but these twins are comfortably in the zone approved for towers as high as 1,010 ft.
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Likes (Received): 6666

Hi guys, I recorded a registry while I was traveling during my last vacation in July.

I took two pictures of the site. A parking operates there.

2015-07-28Time18.32.40-VillaMagnaIampII by Fabricio JF, on Photobucket

2015-07-28Time18.32.45-VillaMagnaIampII by Fabricio JF, on Photobucket
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP

mafd12, desertpunk liked this post
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 10:05 AM   #17
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

FAA Approved! http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...faa-last-week/

Quote:
Several developers received approval from the FAA to build ‘supertall’ towers in downtown Miami last week.

Each of the approved buildings is taller than any existing tower in Florida.

The newly approved buildings include:

•One Bayfront Plaza – 1,005 feet above ground, 1,010 feet above sea level

•1201 Brickell Bay Drive (Villa Magna) Tower 1 – 995 feet above ground, 1,000 feet above sea level

•1201 Brickell Bay Drive (Villa Magna) Tower 2 – 995 feet above ground, 1,000 feet above sea level

•World Trade Center Of The Americas – 969 feet above ground, 980 feet above sea level

[...]

Hudson11, Fabricio JF, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2015, 10:07 AM   #18
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22515

oho, so they are going with 2 towers. More height and more density, I like it. Now hopefully a befitting design will happen here...
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 10:26 AM   #19
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
oho, so they are going with 2 towers. More height and more density, I like it. Now hopefully a befitting design will happen here...
I think it was always intended to have two towers. The earliest proposal called for 60 story twins.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM   #20
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Likes (Received): 6666

Two candidates to become kings in Miamian horizon.
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP

Zaz965 liked this post
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1201 brickell bay dr., brickell, miami, villa magna