daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old November 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 287

KLO | Kalibo International Airport

I thought I should start this thread since I have not noticed anybody starting it considering I'm sure it's one of the airports widely being used in the Philippines being one of the major tourist destinations in the Philippines and a Gateway to the beaches of Boracay.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 7th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
pthfndr19

Likes (Received): 358

Civil Aviation to create disaster council for Kalibo airport
Philippines News Agency

Kalibo, Aklan, Nov. 3 (PNA) - The Civil Aviations Authority of the Philippines (CAAP)-Kalibo is organizing a disaster council to avert the worse possible disaster that could happen at the Kalibo International Airport.

CAAP-Kalibo chief Percy Malonesio said that the CAAP-Iloilo chief Efren Nagrama was assisting the drafting of the necessary trainings and documents for the disaster council.

The council will be composed of different stakeholders including the academe, law enforcement agencies and the media.

"We need the help of the media as they are often the source of information by the public in case there is a disaster such as crash landing at the airport. We want to have trainings on what to do in case of a possible worse scenario," Malonesio said.

The KIA has recently been identified by the Department of Transportation and Communication to have potential to become an international facility. Currently, the airport caters different flights from Taiwan, China and Korea which carry passengers bound for Boracay Island. (PNA)
RMA/AJP/JNAguirre/vlo
pthfndr19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #3
xavierdude

Likes (Received): 49

every day is disaster day in that airport. sobrang gulo. dapat na talagang matapos yung construction nito. Kailangan na ring maremedyuhan yung caticlan airport.
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #4
jpdm
makabayan

Likes (Received): 2889

Yup, masikip yung existing airport.

I hope improvements will continue to make it more confortable to passengers.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #5
sandwindstars

Likes (Received): 0

If that's still the same old rinky dinky airport I landed in 93 then what they need to do is combine Kalibo and Caticlan. Find a spot halfway, with lots of land, have a highway between the 2 cities, problem solved. As for international airports, why is there such an obsession for international airports? Panglao, Kalibo, Caticlan they all want international airports. For example, Iloilo is an international airport, so why can't they just improve the highways (wider with proper lane systems, maybe bypass systems) or even a train system. Panglao is so close to Cebu, and they can just have fast ferry service between Mactan and Panglao instead?
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 33

It would be too far for both towns, as Malay is 65 kilometers away from Kalibo. MPH is being expanded, so by the time the expanded MPH opens, the strain on KLO would be relieved. KLO in itself is also being expanded.

(By the way, I'm in Iloilo. )

Join Wikipedia Takes Manila (Facebook), the Philippines and Southeast Asia's first Wikipedia photo scavenger hunt and contest!

Last edited by Sky Harbor; November 8th, 2009 at 05:05 AM.
Sky Harbor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #7
mwg12a

That's an idea though, combine Kalibo and Caticlan, make it as one international airport just because it is the closest airport for all Boracay bound passengers.

Any pics of Kalibo and Caticlan Airports? Please......
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #8
lochinvar

Likes (Received): 108

Combining the two may be next to impossible. There may be too much pride between the two airports, just like the one in Bicol.
lochinvar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 187

Or, Caticlan can just market itself as an private chartered/executive airport and have Kalibo take in the scheduled commercial flights with Boracay bound passengers.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #10
mwg12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinvar View Post
Combining the two may be next to impossible. There may be too much pride between the two airports, just like the one in Bicol.
hay naku, kung paiiralin na naman ang pride na pulpol na yan, walang mangyayari sa mga tao. They can't just urge the government to build an expressway from both ends, the people would benefit from it even better because of a better transport. I think it's not a matter of pride, it's greed that's taking over some few people because they would lose their position. You know how it goes.. money matter and money talks...
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #11
sandwindstars

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Harbor View Post
It would be too far for both towns, as Malay is 65 kilometers away from Kalibo. MPH is being expanded, so by the time the expanded MPH opens, the strain on KLO would be relieved. KLO in itself is also being expanded.

(By the way, I'm in Iloilo. )
65 km is far ???? That's like only less than an hour on a good highway. Or if they find a spot halfway, that's like 30+ km each way. What do people expect? When they land at the airport, they get off the plane right on the beach and their resort?

I noticed from the air Caticlan is sort of hilly, and read that they may have to level a hill to expand. Towards Kalibo it's flatter. Plus they can have an alternative route through the interior of Aklan instead of the current road which takes 2 hours to connect Caticlan and Kalibo. And they should integrate the tourism development of the whole Panay island. Connect the dots so to speak.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #12
mwg12a

Yeah, building a good road or highway would be the best answer for that.

Have they started KLO's expansion? I think they should really junk that plan and go with a new airport in a different area that can be shared with Caticlan... I much rather have it closer to Caticlan if it's possible so that the tourist doesn't have to travel longer to get to their boat ride to Bocacay. It should be more of a midsized ferry instead of the native boat or "banka" and there should be a real ferry station. 65 kilometer would only be atleast 30 mins ride or less with a good highway and I mean highway like a short version of SLEX/NLEX if possible.
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #13
cebuboi
ThE RefLeX..ThE DrEaMeR..

Likes (Received): 125

can anybody please post pics for the kalibolan airport...including aerial shots...
cebuboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #14
pthfndr19

Likes (Received): 358

Zest Air will launch its regular flights to INCHEON,KOREA via KALIBO (from Manila) on Dec. 04, 2009 utilizing our 168/162 seater Airbus320!
pthfndr19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #15
oboi
voyager

Likes (Received): 1424

from Aklan Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_teeway View Post
KALIBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT UPDATE

oboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #16
xzibit31
Capo di Tutti Capi

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthfndr19 View Post
Zest Air will launch its regular flights to INCHEON,KOREA via KALIBO (from Manila) on Dec. 04, 2009 utilizing our 168/162 seater Airbus320!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboi View Post
from Aklan Thread
wahehehe....

naunahan pa ng kalibo ang iloilo at bacolod sa pag mount and receive ng intl flights

Success!
xzibit31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #17
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 33

What concerns me here though is the target market. Though the foreigners will flock in droves to fly to Kalibo to get to Boracay, that doesn't mean that Filipinos will necessarily board a plane at Kalibo to get to Seoul.

Join Wikipedia Takes Manila (Facebook), the Philippines and Southeast Asia's first Wikipedia photo scavenger hunt and contest!
Sky Harbor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #18
zoroethgenre_003
rex the traveller

Likes (Received): 47

Control Tower of Kalibo International Airport

Old November 12th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #19
zoroethgenre_003
rex the traveller

Likes (Received): 47

Planned Expansion of Kalibo International Airport

Old November 12th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #20
xzibit31
Capo di Tutti Capi

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Harbor View Post
What concerns me here though is the target market. Though the foreigners will flock in droves to fly to Kalibo to get to Boracay, that doesn't mean that Filipinos will necessarily board a plane at Kalibo to get to Seoul.
the target market is clearly the foreigners. they are the ones who spend top dollar when vacationing.

zest is targeting the koreans going to kalibo. i think this is the only direct flight from incheon to kalibo, right? and from my observation, there are alot of koreans frolicking in boracay.

with this direct flight, they will have no more stop-overs in manila.

Success!
xzibit31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boracay, kalibo, tourism, travel