daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #1
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

CRK | Clark International Airport - Compiled Threads

Soon to be the country's premier international gateway. Post some info, renderings and pics here. Where have all our renderings gone?

Currently, UPS' Asia-Pacific hub is in DMIA and Fedex is planning to move there by 2007, relocating from Subic Bay.

Additional info:
- has two parallel runways capable of NASA space shuttle landings (one of only three in world)
- Facility can accomodate the A380 once completed
- Will be one of the largest airports in the region
- Final phase will have more than 100 gates
- Northrail commuter train will link it to Metro Manila

Here's something else related to DMIA, that is sure to boost its status and development:

Boeing eyes Clark Airport
Jakarta Post April 6, 2004

Manila: The Boeing Company is in talks with the Clark International Airport Corporation to set up a regional logistics and maintanance base at the former U.S military aribase north of the Philippines capital, an official said on Monday.

A delegation led by Roger Kip Taylor head of Asia Project Development for Boeing and including Col. Alexander Cox, head of strategic planning of the U.S Pacific command based in Hawaii has been negotiating with Clark's current owners.

Clark president and chief executive retired general Adelberto Yap said Boeing was looking at leasing some 80 hectars (nearly 200 acres) of what was once the biggest American base outside the United States.

The U.S government is funding a US$150 million modernization programmer for the Philippine armed forces and much of it includes maintaining the Boeing C-130 transporter aircraft.

Yap said talks were still in progress. (AFP)

--------------

Again, good news for Clark and our infrastructure!
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Edmundtanso

Likes (Received): 2

great news! once the northrail coonects clark to manila, clark would benefit a lot.
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #3
ryanr
Registered non-User

Yep...Clark and Subic are the best place to invest right now. A lot of light industry companies are now locating themselves in Subic while 4 U.S call center companies have established themselves in Clark, creating 5000 jobs.
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #4
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Asiana also have weekly flight from Korea to Clark....soon 2 Indonesian cargo carrier also want to fly there from Singapore (Repex and Tri MG)

I am wondering though, what will happen with NAIA if Clark is ready for operation?

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #5
ryanr
Registered non-User

We also do not know. I guess it will be the same situation as New York's JFK airport and Le Guardia. Its not really clear when the first phase of DMIA will be finished (my estimation is by 2008-2012) so NAIA will still have time on its own before that.
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #6
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Honestly, I prefer Clark to be the main airport for Manila rather than NAIA, I was there last 2 weeks, the airport is so big, it has WAY MORE space compare to NAIA or even subic. NAIA, IMO is very close to the city and has limited capability to expand...especially when the traffic goes up in the next 10 years from now. Yet, Clark also can offer "express train" from Metro Manila to the airport, just like KLIA in Malaysia.

Old April 7th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #7
rico
Bulakeño in Tokyo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
Honestly, I prefer Clark to be the main airport for Manila rather than NAIA, I was there last 2 weeks, the airport is so big, it has WAY MORE space compare to NAIA or even subic. NAIA, IMO is very close to the city and has limited capability to expand...especially when the traffic goes up in the next 10 years from now. Yet, Clark also can offer "express train" from Metro Manila to the airport, just like KLIA in Malaysia.
And like the Narita express in Tokyo. (FYI, Tokyo has two airports... Narita can be compared to Clark because it's far from Tokyo. Haneda can be compared to Naia because it is very near Tokyo). Narita is for international flights. Haneda is for domestic flights. I do hear people complaining that Narita is too far. It can cost you a considerable amount of money just to get there.
rico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #8
Edmundtanso

actually there was a controversy few years ago either to build the new terminal in manila or clark. i personally though they should have build the new terminal in clark because once the boeing start producing their new and bigger passenger plane, i read that NAIA runway could'nt accomodate it.

few years ago i read an article that a thai firm showed interest on building a new terminal in clark (BOT), i think i might still have the renderings in the Phils. it looks awesome and huge!

the gov't should rush constructon of the northrail so clark and manila would be connected.
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #9
absent-minded

I never even knew that they were actually planning to build a huge terminal at DMIA. I wanna see some renderings though... from Edmundtanso's post, it sound real nice! I thought the plan was junked after they pushed through with NAIA 3 and that GMA just started a program to upgrade some of the existing terminal. it would be nice to move the main airport to Clark and turn the entire NAIA into domestic terminals to prop up tourism within the country.

and the boeing plan sounds great! nice to see that foreigners are actually still planning to invest in the country vis a vis all the things going on with the elections. hope it pushes through...!! that would do great for the economy!!
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #10
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

Clark as the new international hub, would take a longer time than ryan expects imo, maybe 2015 at the very least. remember, NAIA3 is still there to be opened. and there's also a lot of factors in moving the int'l terminal of MM there.
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:18 AM   #11
absent-minded

yeah, I guess so... the Northrail has to be completed first, along with the NLEX and maybe even the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway in order to accomodate passengers coming to Manila. maybe arroyo is planning to move the airport there, which is why all these projects are in the works... hahaha!
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #12
Edmundtanso

absent-minded
well, the rendering and article was like 5-6 years ago, during ramos term. i think it was junk because the gov't decided to build the new terminal in manila.

i would check my stuff and see whether i have that article here or phils.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #13
renell
Here Since 2002

im not against this but i like NAIA3 to open first. at least that one is just waiting to be opened.
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #14
ryanr
Registered non-User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
Clark as the new international hub, would take a longer time than ryan expects imo, maybe 2015 at the very least. remember, NAIA3 is still there to be opened. and there's also a lot of factors in moving the int'l terminal of MM there.
I said phase I The next few phases might take place 2020 and beyond.

Of course NAIA 3 will open first. And i dont think the "whole" airport will move to clark from NAIA. Like i said it will be a JFK/Le Guardia and Haneda/Narita type situation.

I agree with Absent's thoughts. The highway and northrail projects are really to back up Clark and Subic's development which includes this new airport.
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #15
renell
Here Since 2002

i guess what will happen to Clark in the next 10 years is anyones gues...i dunno what will happen to it. isnt it already occupied by PAF?
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #16
Francis20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

some related news ive saved long before...

Philippines wins bid to host $450-M FedEx hub
Posted: 0:37 AM | Apr. 01, 2004

Clarissa S. Batino
Inquirer News Service

printable version email a story write the editor feedback

FEDERAL Express, which currently operates a regional hub in the Subic Freeport west of Manila, has decided to stay in the Philippines, choosing the Clark Special Economic Zone north of Manila over Guangzhou, China, as the site of its new 450-million-dollar cargo hub for the Asia-Pacific region, an official said Wednesday.

Adelberto Yap, president and chief executive officer of the Clark International Airport Corp., said he would lead a Philippine team that would sign a 25-year lease agreement with FedEx officials at the company headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 11.

FedEx will lease a 50-hectare government property in Clark where it will relocate its regional hub when its contract with Subic authorities ends in 2007, Yap said.

Subic has been the FedEx Asia-Pacific hub for eight years, but limitations there in terms of space for expansion had prompted the US freight carrier to consider moving to the 18-billion yuan airport in Guangzhou. Two FedEx aircraft crashed in Subic waters because of runway miscalculation.

From Subic, where it set up its regional hub in September 1995, FedEx can connect with 19 key Asian cities. From the international airport in the former American naval base, it can make overnight delivery of cargoes from Manila, Penang, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and East Timor to the US West Coast.

Clark is also a former US military base. The Philippine government has adopted an "open skies" policy for cargo at both Clark and Subic.

Yap said that for a smooth transition, FedEx would scale down its Subic operations gradually and begin building the Clark facility soon so it could transfer operations there two years before the Subic contract expires.

"Building the new Clark facility would entail about 450 million dollars in investments from FedEx," Yap said.

"I think FedEx chose the Philippines over China because of the ease in doing business in the country aside from our skilled yet cheap labor that could easily adopt to the American way," he said.

Another advantage is the existing two-runway airport in Clark built by Americans when Clark was a US Air Force base, Yap said. The runway would allow FedEx to operate from Clark immediately.

"FedEx has to leave Subic because it can no longer expand in the area," Yap said. "Subic is primarily for port terminals."

Local airlines have accused FedEx of operating illegally in the Philippines, alleging that it and United Parcel Services operate on the basis of a "seventh freedom" right that they say the Philippine air service agreement with the US does not provide.

Yap said President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's signed Executive Order 253, which provides for an "open skies" policy on cargo flights at Subic and Clark, gives freight carriers a solid basis to operate here.

FedEx signed letter of intent last year with the Guangzhou Airport Authority, saying that "as part of our normal long-term planning process, we are exploring a number of opportunities to further grow our business in Asia." It added, "We are in the very early stages of evaluating possible expansion locations and no decision has been made."

FedEx is represented in the Philippines by Airfreight 2100, of the Lina Group of Companies.

FedEx handles 3.3 million packages nightly, employs over 200,000 people, and serves more than 200 countries. Its planes log mileage equivalent to making 100 trips around the earth in a day. With INQ7.net
Francis20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #17
absent-minded

I read another article on ABS-CBN News the other day (sometime after April 1) with FedEx replying to this announcement by Clark that it was still taking time to choose between the two and that Guangzhou was still a probable site for an Asia-Pacific hub after 2007... some reporter sent a letter to confirm Yap's announcement and FedEx replied with that.

Hope they'll consider Clark over Guangzhou even with the huge, brand new terminal there.... I heard that the DMIA complex still has so much room for expansion - with less than 2% of the area currently being used today. that is a lot of room for that 100-gate terminal plus both FedEx and UPS hubs and more... I wish that aerocity (what was it called again??) thing at Clark will push through soon...
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #18
Francis20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

aerocity? first time to hear that.
Francis20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #19
rico
Bulakeño in Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent-minded
I read another article on ABS-CBN News the other day (sometime after April 1) with FedEx replying to this announcement by Clark that it was still taking time to choose between the two and that Guangzhou was still a probable site for an Asia-Pacific hub after 2007... some reporter sent a letter to confirm Yap's announcement and FedEx replied with that.

Hope they'll consider Clark over Guangzhou even with the huge, brand new terminal there.... I heard that the DMIA complex still has so much room for expansion - with less than 2% of the area currently being used today. that is a lot of room for that 100-gate terminal plus both FedEx and UPS hubs and more... I wish that aerocity (what was it called again??) thing at Clark will push through soon...
clark has so much room. thanks to the huge central luzon plains. not like subic which is surrounded by mountains.
rico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #20
Edmundtanso

well Guangzhou have very good infrastructures constructed or under construction. that's why the gov't should do the phase 1 & 2 of nothrail at the same time. this would be good for FedEx beacuase they see a lot of advantages for them to grow.

i still do hope that they've decided to pick clark already/

Tags
angeles city